Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Project Completed - Explore the depths

We discover many caches of things our Ship remembers, but were thought lost. Most wondrous of them, though, is the capsule. The Dyvanden insist this is part of a larger machine that can be used to escape the world itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Winter -- Week 1

quote:

A headstrong community member takes charge of the community's work efforts.

A project fails and a different project finishes early.

Seeing all the gear and materials scavenged from the depths Juni goes into overdrive. Somehow she knows exactly what goes where and who is best suited to put it there. None of use dare question her decisions, she exudes pure raw confidence and authority. Our progress is staggering and in a single week we have managed to do all we could to fix the propulsion of our ship!

Make a Discovery: Winter is among us ! The Fjord is entirely frozen over, it is a good thing that we have probed its depth and fixed our propulsion before this week. We can now cross the Fjord by foot but the Homeship will be stuck until the spring thaw.

Projects: :siren:Restore the ship's propulsion (0):siren:
Abundances: longevity, scuba gear, fish, clean water
Scarcities: none
Contempt: Tyrannosaurus (2), potatocubed (2), Fathis Munk (1), ibntumart (0)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Winter - Week 2

quote:

Winter elements destroy a food source.

If this was your only food source, add a Scarcity.

A storm of epic proportions rolls over us this week. The sheets of snow and frost whip through the air so thick and vicious, we can see nothing outside. Worse is the thunder and lightning. Several bolts strike the ship. When the storm has passed, to our dismay we see it has hit part of our hold. Most of the fish are frostbitten and spoiled.

Action - Discussion

Even if we ration our food, we do not have enough to for us all to last the winter. Should we ration so that everyone can eat a fair portion, and hope to discover some new source before it all runs out, or let some starve? Or is there another way?

Projects:
Abundances: longevity, scuba gear, clean water
Scarcities: fish

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"The Parish told us to find a common enemy and we need a new food source. Let us kill two eyebirds with one stone."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"All of the good things that happened to us recently were brought on by unity. Division only brought us grief. Let's suffer through this together and each group contribute what they can."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
"We will find alternatives. If nothing else, the eldest among us can join the Ship."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"Everything will be fine if we can just make it to spring anyway."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Winter - Week 3

quote:

An infected outsider arrives, seeking amnesty.

Welcome them to the community. Remove a scarcity, but also introduce an infection to the community.

Juni returns from the fog!

... again?

The first Juni watches from the deck as the second Juni unloads salted meats from her dogsled and promises strange tales from what she has seen outside the fjord. We welcome her. But we have questions.

Action - Discussion

Anders thinks we need to quarantine them both.

"One is an agent from the Thing That Watches! Possibly both. Probably both. Neither should be trusted!"

Projects: none

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"The first Juni helped us rebuild our ship! She has earned our trust."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"Not everything strange is bad, as we are learning."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
"Time is in our side. We should quarantine them both, and watch, and wait."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I opened with a statement so the discussion is now over.

By the way, the game ends immediately when the Frost Shepherds arrive. Just list the season and week, quote the card text, and post the final map – no narration or description. Personally I like to link some music, but that's up to you.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 4, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Winter -- Week 4

quote:

All the animals and young children are crying and won't stop.

Hold a discussion about this, in addition to your regular action for the week.

It starts with the southerners, their children blanketed in misery, but spreads to our few young children within 24 hours, and to the animals the day after that. Even the eye birds cry after a fashion, the spots on their tails exuding a clear gel.

Only the Dyvanden seem unaffected. Do they even have tear ducts?

Hold a Discussion: This is a bad omen. What does it signify?

Start a Project: With the tears comes a sense of doom. Anders begins work on a chronicle, to be sealed in a time capsule and left here before the start of Spring. To give those who come after us the benefit of our experiences.

Projects: Chronicle (3)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"Children and animals are often more sensitive then we are. Maybe there is something coming that they can subconsciously feel. We should prepare for the worst."

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"Juni was the omen."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"Superstition is useless. The collective mind of the Ship will find the solution and it will be in medical lore."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
"Doom may be certain, but we can still choose how we face it."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ibn go ahead I won't make it in 24 hours I think.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter - Week 5

quote:

Winter is harsh, and desperation gives rise to fear mongering.

Spend the week calming the masses and dispelling their violent sentiments. The week ends immediately.

The discussion only plants further seeds of doubt and despair. Some of us had hidden their distrust of the Dyvanden after Gáppe's drowning, and not everyone accepts the first Juni as a friend. The sudden onslaught of a new lightning storm transforms unanswered questions into fear. People speak of unpacking the rifles again, or searching for more explosives.

But the Dyvanden, Juni, and the refugees have worked with us to make a better community, our Ship reminds us. We emerge from the storm undamaged and aware that we are stronger and more numerous than we have ever been.

Projects: Chronicle (2)
Abundances: Longevity, Scuba gear, Clean water
Scarcities: None

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Winter - Week 6

quote:

You see a good omen.

What is it?

A scout calls out that someone is approaching from the ice and those who make it to the bow in time see the long missing Ola. She is smiling. She says, "Do not be afraid." Her former students try to rush out to greet her but when the wind blows her image is swept away with this fog.

Start a Project

Against some people's better judgement, we not only allow the two Juni's to both stay but let them communicate. Strangely, after a few days they become so attuned to the actions of one another it seems speech is unnecessary-- they hand each other tools without looking up and nod in unison as they delve into Dyvanden schematics.

They're building something for the ship. Or with the ship. It's hard to say.

Projects: Chronicle (1), The Junis' Creation (3)
Abundances: Longevity, Scuba gear, Clean water

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Winter -- Week 7

quote:

Now is the time to conserve energy and resources.

A project fails, but gain an Abundance.

Ola's appearance in the mist catalyses something in Anders. No longer does he seek to chronicle everything against some uncertain doom; instead he takes what he has learned and teaches it. Explains our ways to the Dyvanden and southerners, and their ways to us.

Hold a Discussion: The community is healing; what should we do with Maurits and the others who hinder these efforts?

Projects: The Junis' Creation (2)
Abundances: Longevity, Scuba gear, Clean water, Understanding

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
"The majority are content and we are secure. Let them found another community if they find ours so distasteful."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"They can voice their distaste, that we cannot forbid. But should they act on them they will be paid back tooth for tooth and eye for eye.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"We are stronger together. Surely they must see that now."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
"It would undermine our healing process to cut ourselves off to those who need us most."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Winter -- Week 8

quote:

The time has come to consolidate your efforts and your borders

Projects located outside the settlement fail, and all remaining projects are reduced by 2 this week.

This week we have been hit by a blizzard. It is particularly cold outside and most of us stay confined in our respective settlements. We spend our time communicating with the ship and helping the two Junis which are making incredible progress on their work.

Start a project:
The winter is starting to cut us off from our allies and in the spirit of unity we should try and keep our communications going. It is complicated with the Dyvanden but for the refugees we can lay a basic telegraphic line up to their caves. We will teach them some simple combinations so that we might at least call each other for help.

Projects: :siren:The Junis' Creation (0):siren:, Lay a telegraph line (2)
Abundances: Longevity, Scuba gear, Clean water, Understanding

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Project - The Junis' Creation

A low, steady hum emanates from the bowels of the ship as the machine is brought online. It flickers light and pulses energy. The cooperation and knowledge sharing of the Dyvandan, the ship, and the Junis have given birth to something strange and powerful.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter - Week 9

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
The game is now over! The ban on OOC story talk is over, too, so we (and anyone who was following along) can discuss everything to our hearts cont ent. I think this was an interesting run that certainly left a lot of questions.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The story ended with a lot more hope, and proceeded in a much more positive direction, than the past games I've played. The community turned out to be a lot more receptive to new ideas and people than one would think from how they started out.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Aw, so many questions remain :v:

Interesting system.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Congrats to you guys on finishing the game! I agree with ibn that this had a really upbeat ending (and luckily, a dramatic point to end on) - the only game I've played that comes close was one where our community avoided a looming war by pure chance, then relocated to a much safer place, ending on cautiously optimistic notes.

I liked the hint(?) that the mist faces and hands were ultimately benign too, since the apparition of Ola was benevolent. That opens up a whole new mystery about the Thing That Watches (which reminded me of The Night Land and its gargantuan, implacable, but glacial monstrosities). Maybe it did destroy Anders' home, but what if it didn't, or what if it was misunderstood, or what if it was a more psychological phenomenon like a contagious paranoia?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
During Summer, when everyone was killing each other, I really thought that the community wouldn't survive until the end of the game. Then everything took a positive turn.

I spent a lot of time wondering if I was playing the game right. Without a single 'locus' for my attention it felt a lot like I was adding threads and picking them up at random.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah me too. It's very directionless and while that allowed us to turn it around I was often wondering what I was supposed to do next.

I guess that's the whole point, try to tell your own story.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am so happy this ended well! I've been following along and this is one of the first times I have ever seen the ending be so absolutely hopeful.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I kinda liked how we were on an awful downward slope leading to the fracturing of our community but somehow climbed back out, the mood of the whole thing definitely changed to the hopeful.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Yeah, I thought for sure that the community and Dyvanden would go into all out war after the ship ambush. So happy the two groups allied instead. Murdering the trader-turned-peace broker seemed to galvanize the community toward constructive problem-solving instead of war.

Stray thoughts:

- My thought is not having the Elders to take care of anymore freed resources and manpower. Plus their wisdom was no longer a fleeting or half-remembered thing, but rather available 24/7.

- The first explosion I intended as sabotage from a community member to get everyone against the Dyvanden. I'm not sure if that came across.

- On the Dyvanden, I know I had a good idea who and what they were, but this game teaches you to let go and understand everything introduced is collaborative. I enjoyed seeing them fleshed out the way they were.

- I like to think the Junis' machine brought the Frost Shepherds, and that their name reflected their purpose: they are watchers and helpers who were waiting for the community to be ready. They plan to help them through the hardness of the bitterly cold world.

- As already mentioned, we do have some loose ends. The nuclear missile is still out there, for one, though I like to think the Frost Shepherds or maybe the Dyvanden recognized it and put it somewhere safe.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ibntumart posted:

- I like to think the Junis' machine brought the Frost Shepherds, and that their name reflected their purpose: they are watchers and helpers who were waiting for the community to be ready. They plan to help them through the hardness of the bitterly cold world.

That's a neat take on the idea.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

ibntumart posted:

- The first explosion I intended as sabotage from a community member to get everyone against the Dyvanden. I'm not sure if that came across.

- On the Dyvanden, I know I had a good idea who and what they were, but this game teaches you to let go and understand everything introduced is collaborative. I enjoyed seeing them fleshed out the way they were.

I missed that being sabotage. I thought it was an assault (which of course it then became -- whoops?). My interpretation of who the Dyvanden were/developed into is of a highly intelligent society fighting a seemingly losing battle over generations of retaining information and knowledge of the old world. Their initial attack was one of strategy, a preemptive strike, it just failed. And they didn't have the numbers for war because they didn't have a lot of numbers to begin with. Fortunately, our community also didn't want to have a war. I think we probably would have allied sooner had their been means for communication. It's always so interesting how little one sentences lines (ie early on when it was stated that we can't talk to them) can snowball into something huge.

Overall, I really like how the interactions worked between our community and everyone else in the world. I think we stayed very true to the curiosity scarcity. I think we went down that path in a very "logical" manner and teetered on the edge of hostile xenophobia and I'm glad we went the other way. If only because it made for a more interesting story this go round.

ibntumart posted:

I completely agree with your idea here. What a fantastic time to draw that card.

Other thoughts:
- I might go back and reread the old games. I have some questions about initial map creation and how/if it affects exploration/discoveries/adding to the map.

- We never saw who was taking over our old settlement upriver. Or what killed them.

- Longevity as our initial abundance dictated the direction of the game in such a fascinating way. One I would never have predicted.

- The mist is loving weird. And awesome. And cool. And a fantastic addition. I don't know what goes on in there. In my mind, it's... how do I put this... I think that perhaps whatever weapons created our apocalypse damaged the fabric of reality. And the mist is a physical manifestation of all of the different universes mashing into one another. I'm not sure either of the Junis is "our" Juni. Could be, of course. They could both be just from different times. Both are interesting possibilities. But I think they're from different universes than our own. This theory could also explain the explosive population growth of the eyebirds. They're not breeding. They're just... wandering in from somewhere else.

- What is the Thing that Watches? I don't know! But with an infinite collapsing multiverse, it could very well be some sort of terrible monster. I'm glad we didn't find out. I like the questions it leaves.

- I'd like to play again (... in a couple months)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah both curiosity and longevity were really cool and definitely played a huge role.

And while I am a bit frustrated that we didn't get answers for some questions other ones were all the more inspiring because we still don't know.

Also the game ended perfectly.

• Locked thread