Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone have any opinions on Pixel Ripped 1989? Because it just got a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE7ho8T-ZJ8

"Captured on PC" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I've played a little bit of 1995 and so far it's neat but he controls are awkward on PS4. In 1989 you used the dual shock and the camera tracked it as if you were holding a portable game console. and it worked perfectly. In 1995 you're playing console games and it seems like it was made for 2 hand tracking with competent vr controllers because a lot of the gameplay involves putting down the virtual game controller and doing other other things with one hand or the other. It supports moves which is fine for the right hand but on the left it maps your virtual d-pad movement to the move's face buttons which doesn't work at all. With the dualshock you have to hold one of the triggers to let go of the virtual controller and move your hand and that feels strange too.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Pixel Ripped 1989 has weird checkpointing where I would finish an area, start the next area, then quit the game only to find the game had not registered finishing the first area. I ended up playing the third level several times without it counting as being completed before I just shelved the game completely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Iron Man has been rescheduled for July 3.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Been having so much fun with Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. Probably my new favorite PSVR game. Everything you do in the game feels so satisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How is the movement? If I really don't generally like Move controller free movement is it still worthwhile? is there an option to use a DS4? Or is the movement good enough to truck through even with the moves?

For reference I thought Skyrim was playable with the moves but overall I still didn't like it much and opted to use the DS4.

Or even better is there Aim support?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's Moves only. The game is based around physical hand interactions, a game controller or Aim wouldn't work.

It apparently controls like SkyrimVR does with the moves, with a button bound to walk backwards.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
There are a few options. The one I used the whole time was hold the left move button to walk with the direction dictated by the direction you tilt the controller. Turning is accomplished with X and O on the right move. I got really used to it fast and thought it felt super smooth and easy, turning while strafing around corners with the greatest of ease. You can have your walk direction mapped to where you look but I hated that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyways. I hate controlling games like that but everything else about it looks really cool. Is it actually spooky at all or more of just a basic shooter?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Espire 1 is on sale at the moment, has anyone got any experience with it?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
So hard in Australia for find Aim controller.
Amazon au have it with Firewall for $152 atm and there's one guy in Melbourne attempting to sell it and Farpoint for $229. Ridiculous.

I have enough of a backlog that it isn't annoying me terribly, but I'm hoping with the release of Darth Vader and Iron Man more stock arrives.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I played Gorn for about 3 hours last night and can barely lift my arms today. Nothing like having a video game expose how out of shape you are. It's extremely good as a stress reliever though. 5/5 would kill arms again.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Creed has been doing that to me. I'll do three or four fights and I'll be so sweaty that I have to shower and then will be a little sore the next day.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Creed has surprised me with how much of a workout it is. I'd guess not as much as Beat Saber which I haven't tried but I've been pleasantly surprised and pretty happy with Creed, the training montages and fights are fun. I'm definitely glad I didn't pay full price for it but it's cool for what it is. I might also be biased because I love the Creed movies and music.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm honestly surprised there aren't washable foam pads or some sort of aftermarket solution for this. They keep making highly active games where you're standing and flailing and even if it's just you that's gotta make for a gross headset.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mailer posted:

I'm honestly surprised there aren't washable foam pads or some sort of aftermarket solution for this. They keep making highly active games where you're standing and flailing and even if it's just you that's gotta make for a gross headset.

Sony is barely supporting PSVR at this point. Don't expect any more bells and whistles for this headset.

Either they are going to drop something new after PS5 to compete with other current VR headsets (Likely, I think) or dip out of the VR game (also possible) but I don't think they will make any more revisions or peripherals for this one tbh.

But yeah, something aftermarket would be nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Sony is barely supporting PSVR at this point. Don't expect any more bells and whistles for this headset.

Either they are going to drop something new after PS5 to compete with other current VR headsets (Likely, I think) or dip out of the VR game (also possible) but I don't think they will make any more revisions or peripherals for this one tbh.

But yeah, something aftermarket would be nice.

:lmao: Aside from the multiple hardware patents and repeated open commitment to continuing PSVR with PS5, sure. They're not releasing the PSVR2 at launch because (and Sony have said as much themselves), it's easier to get consumers to stomach a $500 purchase now and a $300-400 one later than $900 all at once.

PSVR as-is is a technological dead-end and it's not really surprising it's just in a holding pattern for the end of the PS4's life. It was specced to the original Oculus HDK of a headset and controller, and just cannot keep up with the current expectations for user input or tracking.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Surely to god they’re gonna put analogue sticks on the controllers this time around...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:lmao: Aside from the multiple hardware patents and repeated open commitment to continuing PSVR with PS5, sure. They're not releasing the PSVR2 at launch because (and Sony have said as much themselves), it's easier to get consumers to stomach a $500 purchase now and a $300-400 one later than $900 all at once.

PSVR as-is is a technological dead-end and it's not really surprising it's just in a holding pattern for the end of the PS4's life. It was specced to the original Oculus HDK of a headset and controller, and just cannot keep up with the current expectations for user input or tracking.

Uh, I agree? I don't know what is making you laugh your rear end off other than your own poor reading comprehension.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Uh, I agree? I don't know what is making you laugh your rear end off other than your own poor reading comprehension.

Sorry, sounded like you were leaning towards them being out rather than in.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Surely to god they’re gonna put analogue sticks on the controllers this time around...

From the controller patents that have floated around, it looks like they've at least realized Oculus have set in the controller button standard for VR.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA18224_00-MIMVRDEMO0000001

Iron Man demo just popped up, and there's going to be a headset+moves bundle too in case anyone considered it a system seller.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The demo is 16 gigs? Holy moley.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

It seems like a pretty hefty demo. Tutorial, a mission, and two side missions. Looking forward to trying it later.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Stare-Out posted:

The demo is 16 gigs? Holy moley.

lol, download sizes are so out of control these days.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just played through it and.. I really enjoyed it. There's some wonkiness here and there, frames dropped a bit a couple of times (though not during gameplay.) Flying around is really intuitive once you get the hang of it and that was by far the highlight of the demo, just flying around trying to do some precision stuff. Combat is serviceable but a bit too hectic maybe, hard to say after one playthrough.

Overall I was impressed, but it does feel like a game that when it's good, it's great, and when it's not, it's a drag. I figure it'll come down to the balance of those two things.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I loved the hell out of it. Couldn't figure out how to dodge to save my life, but just coasting around like it was VR Pilotwings was amazing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

Just played through it and.. I really enjoyed it. There's some wonkiness here and there, frames dropped a bit a couple of times (though not during gameplay.) Flying around is really intuitive once you get the hang of it and that was by far the highlight of the demo, just flying around trying to do some precision stuff. Combat is serviceable but a bit too hectic maybe, hard to say after one playthrough.

Overall I was impressed, but it does feel like a game that when it's good, it's great, and when it's not, it's a drag. I figure it'll come down to the balance of those two things.
Is it just flying around in an empty air space like in all the screenshots I've seen so far, or can you do it in a more interesting environment?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it just flying around in an empty air space like in all the screenshots I've seen so far, or can you do it in a more interesting environment?

The main mission in the demo takes place up in the sky but before that you fly around "Malibu" over water and around/through some cliffs and rocks and stuff, the two challenges (timed flying course/combat) take place there too.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Can't find the Iron Man demo on the Australian PSN store. Egads.

EDIT: nevermind. It wasn't under PSVR but free.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gave the demo another go and it was even better a second time around once you get more comfortable with the controls. Minor nitpick is that the aiming reticules should indicate which is from which hand since firing at one target with both hands can easily get them crossed, but like I said before, the combat is fine enough and that'll do because the flying works so well.

Also rocket punching the poo poo out of drones is pretty drat satisfying.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Having some good times with Gorn, but the way health/death is handled is kind of ruining the fun. I can’t seem to figure out any consistent behavior, like sometimes health regens fully within a second after taking a solid hit, other times a flea sneezes on me and I die 30 seconds later from bleeding out?

I’ll probably just drop it on to easy, but what the hell is even going on?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Having some good times with Gorn, but the way health/death is handled is kind of ruining the fun. I can’t seem to figure out any consistent behavior, like sometimes health regens fully within a second after taking a solid hit, other times a flea sneezes on me and I die 30 seconds later from bleeding out?

I’ll probably just drop it on to easy, but what the hell is even going on?

I haven't played it yet, but if I understand it correctly, if you get hit, you start bleeding and have to hit an enemy to get your health back before you die.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My headset may be dying (again). Last night all I could see was the boot spinner no matter how much I jiggled the connection between the extension cable and the headset.

There's no good way to buy just a gen 1 extension cable, right? Used prices look fairly ridiculous (~100 everywhere).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stare-Out posted:

I haven't played it yet, but if I understand it correctly, if you get hit, you start bleeding and have to hit an enemy to get your health back before you die.

Gave it some more time on Easy and it’s actually that you have to kill someone to survive. The first level is mostly blunt weapons, so it was a rough start, but I got the groove of it.

Stabbing a dude with two daggers and yanking his heart out with one of them was pretty bad rear end, not gonna lie. :getin:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, okay right, that was it. Are the movement controls as awkward as they sound? I get that it's supposed to be silly and janky but having to "pull" with the controller to move seems like a weird way to do it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stare-Out posted:

Oh, okay right, that was it. Are the movement controls as awkward as they sound? I get that it's supposed to be silly and janky but having to "pull" with the controller to move seems like a weird way to do it.

It definitely is kind of awkward, but after a couple of rounds the feeling of swimming towards the next dude who needs to die is pretty much second nature. I think the biggest trap in terms of controls is it guides you toward holding the triggers to hold weapons, when the “lock grip” button is actually way more useful.

It’s an almost perfect example of both why PS VR is awesome and still needs more work. This game really feels designed for a full room setup that matches the combat arenas or at least a better movement option, but it’s still incredibly fun once you get over the mild jankiness of the experience.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cool, good to know. I intend on getting it at some point for sure.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Has anyone here tried connecting their psvr to their pc? I really want to try out dolphin vr but I would rather not pay out the rear end for another headset.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I haven't personally but I know there are some third party software that let you do this but it's also pretty limited since it won't utilize a camera for tracking. Gyros might still work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Although using moves for free movement still frustrates me, Saints and Sinners seems really good. Definitely some of the best Move controls I've seen on PSVR. It basically plays like killing floor except it works very well instead of being a disaster. Overall really excited to dig deeper into it.

The only thing that feels really clunky is plunging weapons further/removing them. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but it's frustrating trying to get it to work.

Very impressive tracking for a PSVR game though and it looks really nice.