Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I know that, sorry, I didn't really express myself well there because my point was that it would seem that this is the first instance of a VR game being developed for PS5 (not PS4) that will be playable with, presumably, the current headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twibbit posted:

I swear in an old interview they said you would be able to use psvr1 on PS5. Mostly so you could still play Ps4 games in backcompat.

It also has a new camera so they may even track better.

Going in on a new HD Move camera's kinda weird; Non-VR Move stuff is very dead and a single static camera's just the worst VR tracking option they could opt to utilize, unless they're gonna get esoteric and combine it with inside-out tracking from the headset.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Put Star Wars Squadrons into my veins.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Going in on a new HD Move camera's kinda weird; Non-VR Move stuff is very dead and a single static camera's just the worst VR tracking option they could opt to utilize, unless they're gonna get esoteric and combine it with inside-out tracking from the headset.

Yeah, it's a weird move (no pun intended).

I wish some loving game "journalist" would ask Sony what is up.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Well at least they're not completely dead in marketing it. They're putting out a new bundle with Iron Man.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
EA just announced that the entirety of Star Wars Squadrons will be playable in VR

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

haveblue posted:

EA just announced that the entirety of Star Wars Squadrons will be playable in VR

I literally first pumped and shouted when I watched that trailer.

I had pretty much given up hope for a modern X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

I normally don’t side with the Empire but the Tie Interceptor is my jam so I guess it’s death to rebel scum time soon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
X-Wing never stuck with me, for some reason. Possibly because I preferred the more cinematic Wing Commander style, or because power management seemed to be the single most important thing. That being said, depending on how much movement capability they give the ships this could be a day one purchase. I just hope the campaign is an actual thing and not a sideshow to the multiplayer.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Not that you'd know it from the trailer, but Squadrons has a VR mode that will also let you crossplay with PC.

I would be extremely hyped for this if it was a worthy X-wing successor but it seems it is more battlefront spaceships-only mode, with EA style unlocks and a tacked-on single player campaign. But we will see. And it.might be worth it for 2 hours of SP VR-spaceflight

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No way it'll have Move support either, which isn't bad as such, but the DS4 flight controls in the Battlefront games felt super weird to me.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I played the Iron Man VR demo and its..fine?

They are pushing the PSVR to its limits but the tracking seemed to work ok, the controls were fine. But I found myself not quite enjoying it like I thought I would be.

Flying around the training level was good fun, but the part where you are fighting the drones felt like a rail-shooter at times. I didn’t feel like I got to maneuver around the environment like I wanted to. I was less dog-fighting the drones by flying around and more “moving up/down or side/to side to dodge their shots while pelting them with mine”.

I absolutely love the concept but it really needs a better system to do what I think the developers are aiming for. Maybe PSVR2.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rumors going around right now that Resident Evil 8 will be fully playable in VR on PS5. Source is the same person who leaked RE8 prior to its reveal.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

A lot of discords and offsites happening right now, thought this seemed relevant:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If I had to choose between these, which would you choose:
Unearthing Mars
Ultrawings
sprint vector
Windlands
Rush VR (I played this on an oculus Go, and it seemed fun, but not worth it if it wasn’t any better looking/feeling on PSVR which I assume it is, but this is probably lower on my list if I had to put these in any order).

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Is Gorn good?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Imhotep posted:

If I had to choose between these, which would you choose:
Unearthing Mars
Ultrawings
sprint vector
Windlands
Rush VR (I played this on an oculus Go, and it seemed fun, but not worth it if it wasn’t any better looking/feeling on PSVR which I assume it is, but this is probably lower on my list if I had to put these in any order).

I’ve only played Ultrawings and Windlands, but between the two I’d choose Ultrawings, it’s a fun Pilotwings style game with a real feeling you’re flying these vehicles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of the free PSPlus games for July. Even if you have no interest in the base game, download it for the exploring the Croft manor in VR mode, which still looks fantastic despite being one of the earliest PSVR releases.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Beastie posted:

Is Gorn good?

It's not a very deep game and the controls are kinda meh but it's a great exercise and/or stress relief game. Sometimes I'll fire up endless mode with max damage and minimum gravity and spend a few minutes just punching dudes into orbit. The campaign is really short but endless mode has a bunch of different modifiers to tweak to play however you want. If it were more than $20 I'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it but at that price I think you'll get what you pay for.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So is no one excited for Iron Man VR? I thought the demo was really great and everything they've shown has me really interested. There's barely any talk about it which is weird even for a PSVR game and the launch is only a few days away, plus it's a 40 dollar title to boot. Just kinda baffled that more folks aren't taking to it.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

So is no one excited for Iron Man VR? I thought the demo was really great and everything they've shown has me really interested. There's barely any talk about it which is weird even for a PSVR game and the launch is only a few days away, plus it's a 40 dollar title to boot. Just kinda baffled that more folks aren't taking to it.

I'm getting that for the move controller bundle alone, which by themselves go for 90 to 140 Euros here in most places. Doesn't hurt that the game looks fun and ambitious, but couldn't try the demo yet (due to the lack of said move controllers).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lanth posted:

I'm getting that for the move controller bundle alone, which by themselves go for 90 to 140 Euros here in most places. Doesn't hurt that the game looks fun and ambitious, but couldn't try the demo yet (due to the lack of said move controllers).

I honestly didn't even think about people without Moves, so good point. Thinking about it, it's kinda great they're bundling Moves with the game like that. Risky, this late in the generation and all but for what it's worth, the demo alone convinced me to get the game and most people who have played it have good things to say. It's just that it hasn't gotten all that much media presence despite being a Marvel Studios game and all.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

I honestly didn't even think about people without Moves, so good point. Thinking about it, it's kinda great they're bundling Moves with the game like that. Risky, this late in the generation and all but for what it's worth, the demo alone convinced me to get the game and most people who have played it have good things to say. It's just that it hasn't gotten all that much media presence despite being a Marvel Studios game and all.

Seeing as we're probably not going to get an updated version of the headset nor controllers anytime soon or at least not before the launch of the PS5, I'm surprised they don't go on sale more often to get more people into it. It doesn't help that (PS)VR seems super interesting but unless you get into it, it looks extremely niche from the outside. I only became more interested in it when I got the PSVR on a whim during the days of play sale, and was kind of surprised and overwhelmed at how many games/experiences/devices we've got nowadays.

My impression of VR shortly before that was still "clunky, expensive, needs a lot of room and a hardcore gaming PC" so things like the Oculus Quest completely blindsided me when I started getting more into it. I even went to a VR Arcade with some friends in January and that didn't help making us realize how portable these things have become, quite the contrary.

Gotta agree with you though, while I saw a lot of coverage of Iron Man VR on the usual PSVR Youtube channels, it's like the game doesn't exist outside of it. Looks like Sony didn't realize this might be their "Alyx" moment, which is pretty on brand for them, I guess.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'd expect a massive price drop on PSVR nearing the launch of the PS5 so Sony can get non-PCVR people into VR prior to announcing PSVR2. VR is notoriously hard to market though, what with it being 3D and all and 3D not being the standard in any way so every trailer is likely to be 2D 30fps which doesn't represent the game at all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

haveblue posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of the free PSPlus games for July. Even if you have no interest in the base game, download it for the exploring the Croft manor in VR mode, which still looks fantastic despite being one of the earliest PSVR releases.

My first thought when I saw this game was free was getting excited for the VR bit. I beat Rise on another platform, it's a good game and I'd recommend playing through if anyone hasn't.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh poo poo, I didn't know it had a VR element. Rad.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm hoping to snag Iron Man from Gamefly, but I kind of agree with Solaris 2.0 in that the demo level felt like a rail shooter after a bit. The concept is cool and I hope they do cool things with it.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is the latest version of the PSVR camera the round one?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

dkj posted:

Is the latest version of the PSVR camera the round one?

Yes. The rectangle one was only sold for the first 2-4 years of the PS4s life.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The new PS5 camera has identical internals (probably) but looks like a delightful taco

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Spacebump posted:

My first thought when I saw this game was free was getting excited for the VR bit. I beat Rise on another platform, it's a good game and I'd recommend playing through if anyone hasn't.

Stare-Out posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know it had a VR element. Rad.

Being totally upfront about this on two separate points:

1: It really is just kind of a first person explorer mode, so don’t go in expecting full Lara Croft shooter adventures in VR.
2: It made my mom cry over how pretty it is.

It’s a phenomenal VR demo even if it’s not in the same genre as the main game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it’s basically Gone Home, except in VR and with British accents and ancient texts instead of riot grrrl tapes

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

The new PS5 camera has identical internals (probably) but looks like a delightful taco

That should work with the PSVR, right?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

July 22nd for Dreams VR.

https://twitter.com/mediamolecule/status/1278013122096369664?s=20

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ohhhhh poo poo, about time! :eyepop:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Proud gaming moment: Finally got an Elite Pass on the last A+ race on WipEout Omega Collection, all in VR. Took me forever too after a ton of tries where I was sure the AI was cheating and.. turns out it was. There are only a couple of ships you can use for the A+ challenges which don't glitch out the AI to be impossibly aggressive, fast and perfect in every way, apparently. Managed to get second place many times before I figured it out, though.

Still have a few Zones (ugh), combat challenges and time trials to Elite Pass and I'll have one for every event in 2048!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was just finishing Trover after getting distracted and there was a part where I tried to make him walk too far away away and he turns around and says "I can't go any further partner, ore else I'll get all blurry and pixelated" :lol:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If anyone's curious about it, Paper Beast got a surprise demo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So what's the best bundle right now? I think I'm caving on vr and probably picking it up before fall for the new xwing game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm trying to wrap up the remaining trophies for ABRM because I figured it'd be a fun plat. Man, the speed based challenge missions are made by a sadistic bastard. Most of the other challenges are mildly challenging but getting gold on some of the speed ones were making me want to pull my hair out. It's basically perfect speed run time and I was failing them by fractions of a second. Spent upwards of an hour each with two of them. The flashlight one was making me want to throw my headset across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Did anyone pick up Iron Man VR yet? I have a copy shipping from Gamefly but was surprised we haven't seen any first impressions here.