Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Some quick tips (mostly because I am figuring out things myself. )

So far I have learned:

- try to keep your speed in the “sweet spot” - the bigger block in your speed display. Going over this will make you go faster but turn slower. Under will make you a sitting duck.
- try not to ever come to a stop
- play the SP campaign. It’s really a massive tutorial.
- missile countermeasures are on Circle.
- don’t forget to repair when damaged! TIEs don’t have shields but can repair
- use your power allocation wisely. Don’t hold down fire because you will drain weapons and do spitting damage. Lead your targets
- it kind of sucks to have throttle and roll on the same stick but be careful not to move your speed while you are rolling. (I wish I could use the paddles for rolling. Hmmm I wonder if I can customize that)
- speaking of rolling you turn much tighter if you roll into the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doctor Zero posted:

Some quick tips (mostly because I am figuring out things myself. )

So far I have learned:

- try to keep your speed in the “sweet spot” - the bigger block in your speed display. Going over this will make you go faster but turn slower. Under will make you a sitting duck.
- try not to ever come to a stop
- play the SP campaign. It’s really a massive tutorial.
- missile countermeasures are on Circle.
- don’t forget to repair when damaged! TIEs don’t have shields but can repair
- use your power allocation wisely. Don’t hold down fire because you will drain weapons and do spitting damage. Lead your targets
- it kind of sucks to have throttle and roll on the same stick but be careful not to move your speed while you are rolling. (I wish I could use the paddles for rolling. Hmmm I wonder if I can customize that)
- speaking of rolling you turn much tighter if you roll into the turn.

Awesome, thanks! Is there a way to tell on the radar what is in front / behind you?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Doctor Zero posted:

You can change the mapping of every single button individually. It's a godsend for a console title.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Squadrons bums me out because I've heard nothing but great things about it, but if I pick it up I'll want to play it exclusively in VR and I'm trading in my PS4 towards the PS5 to be able to afford it.

Here's hoping the camera adapted is packed into the console box :negative:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Infinitum posted:

Squadrons bums me out because I've heard nothing but great things about it, but if I pick it up I'll want to play it exclusively in VR and I'm trading in my PS4 towards the PS5 to be able to afford it.

Here's hoping the camera adapted is packed into the console box :negative:

Can't you just play it in the meantime? Or did you already turn in your PS4?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I thought the adapter is something you have to sign up for.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Knightmare posted:

I thought the adapter is something you have to sign up for.

It almost certainly is. Even with PSVR being relatively successful, the numbers are nowhere near “include the adapter with every new console we sell”.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah they already said you need to claim the adapter, but it'll be free.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's just a size change as Sony just didn't want you to be able to use the camera on a PC. It's a standard USB with a specialty shape.

I'm sure it will cost under $5 on the secondary market.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

It's just a size change as Sony just didn't want you to be able to use the camera on a PC. It's a standard USB with a specialty shape.

I'm sure it will cost under $5 on the secondary market.

I think two pins are disconnected too but they're like, the USB1 compat pins or something

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wait, you need an adapter to be able to use PSVR on PS5? Where do you get that (free?) adapter?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just for the camera I think

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sioux posted:

Wait, you need an adapter to be able to use PSVR on PS5? Where do you get that (free?) adapter?

From their site (bottom of page): https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/accessories/

Sony posted:

PlayStation®Camera adaptor
Connect your PlayStation®VR to your PS5 console to enjoy supported PS VR games. To set up your PS VR with your PS5 console you’ll need your PlayStation Camera* for PS4™ and a PlayStation Camera adaptor (no purchase necessary). More details on how to claim an adaptor will be shared on PlayStation.com when available.

*Model CUH-ZEY1 or CUH-ZEY2

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Thanks, wonder how they are gonna pull that off with retailers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sioux posted:

Thanks, wonder how they are gonna pull that off with retailers.

My money is online only, and with not a huge stockpile.

Microsoft did the same thing with Kinect working on the Xbox 1. You had to buy it, but it was really hard to get a hold of.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah I'm positive it'll be online redemption.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you just use a PS5 camera instead if you have that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Can you just use a PS5 camera instead if you have that?
Surely you can. The cameras just to know where the PSVR’s lights are right? Almost any camera could do that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

To set up your PS VR with your PS5 Digital Edition, you’ll need your PlayStation Camera2 for PS4 and a PlayStation Camera adaptor

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Surely you can. The cameras just to know where the PSVR’s lights are right? Almost any camera could do that.

It seems crazy if you can't, but there's been no official word yet.

You would think they would go ahead and say that... then they probably could get away with making fewer PS5-PS4-Camera adapters, and sell more PS5 cameras. :psyduck:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
They did officially say the new camera won’t work with the (old?) PSVR. It’s likely a camera resolution/tracking algorithm compatibility issue.

E: I’m pretty sure, anyway, can’t find a link but the PS5 camera info on Sony’s site says nada about VR...

E again: Yeah here we go: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/accessories/

quote:

To set up your PS VR with your PS5 console you’ll need your PlayStation Camera* for PS4™ and a PlayStation Camera adaptor (no purchase necessary).

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 8, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh weird.

Oh well, if you have a PS VR it means that you already have a PS4 camera, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh weird.

Oh well, if you have a PS VR it means that you already have a PS4 camera, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

True, but it throws out the hopes that the new camera (with increased resolution) would improve VR tracking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XtraSmiley posted:

True, but it throws out the hopes that the new camera (with increased resolution) would improve VR tracking.

There's nothing a better camera can really do to improve PSVR tracking; All it does is go "There is a bright light here" and the rest is guesswork with the gyroscope. The whole reason for all those dots on Oculus and WMR controllers is the pattern tells the camera what direction and angle the controller is facing, combined with a gyroscope for fine-tuning the tracking.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's nothing a better camera can really do to improve PSVR tracking; All it does is go "There is a bright light here" and the rest is guesswork with the gyroscope. The whole reason for all those dots on Oculus and WMR controllers is the pattern tells the camera what direction and angle the controller is facing, combined with a gyroscope for fine-tuning the tracking.

The resolution and capabilities of a known hardware camera can be pretty heavily optimized, plus the new camera is a dual-sensor, higher resolution setup. With the new camera not even being supported at all for PSVR, I’d imagine that means they have that low level code pretty drat tightly tuned.

Even if it’s a minor improvement, you’d be able to get smoother tracking and better depth detection with the second sensor alone, plus the res boost on top of that, but it may not work with existing software. Makes sense to hold off for a new headset revision to make further use of it, IMO.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The higher resolution would help it distinguish light sources a little better at least, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XtraSmiley posted:

The higher resolution would help it distinguish light sources a little better at least, right?

The problem is all it's ever getting is a perfect sphere of light from Move controllers. The best it can do is say "the controller's position is at X,Y,Z", it can't do jack for the controller's rotation.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is all it's ever getting is a perfect sphere. The best it can do is say "the controller's position is at X,Y,Z", it can't do jack for the rotation.

Maybe, but maybe it would help get a more precise location for the headset lights and do better to filter out room lights.

Regardless, it seems like it's a non-issue as the new camera won't work with the PSVR.

That being said, if it's just tracking lights, why won't it work with the new camera?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XA8rdlE.mp4

Doctor Zero posted:

Can't you just play it in the meantime? Or did you already turn in your PS4?

Trying to knock out a couple of other PS4 games before trade-in unfortunately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is all it's ever getting is a perfect sphere of light from Move controllers. The best it can do is say "the controller's position is at X,Y,Z", it can't do jack for the controller's rotation.

What? The Move controllers track rotation pretty well and also have gyros in them.

I hate the things, but this is just flat out false.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Creed: Rise to Glory has been my addiction lately and the Moves can track the rotation of a wrist just fine

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

What? The Move controllers track rotation pretty well and also have gyros in them.

That has nothing to do with the camera tracking though; Those little lit-up dots or sensors on PCVR devices aren't just telling their tracking systems where they are in the playspace, they also work out the angle as well based on the visible pattern.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Finished the campaign of Squadrons and it was a ton of fun. I might try it again on a higher difficulty before playing multiplayer

How is the multiplayer for you guys?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Accelerometers and gryos have exponential error rates and can't be used to track position without something to regularly correct for that error. Optical-based positional tracking (cameras, lasers, whatever) provide accurate positional information (at a much lower rate), however in the case of the PS Move wands the ping pong ball that the camera uses to track the controller doesn't provide rotational information as it's always appears as a sphere. The Dual Shock 4 and PSVR HMD both use glyphs instead, so rotation information can be ascertained and used to correct errors from the internal sensors.

This means that the rotation data for PS Move controllers can drift a bit, though apparently Sony uses the HMD's positional data to filter and correct for it somewhat.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 10, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Steve Yun posted:

Finished the campaign of Squadrons and it was a ton of fun. I might try it again on a higher difficulty before playing multiplayer

How is the multiplayer for you guys?

Awesome and a lot of fun! You should jump in.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Infinitum posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XA8rdlE.mp4

Trying to knock out a couple of other PS4 games before trade-in unfortunately.

Where did you find that? I want to print it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Where did you find that? I want to print it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4618312

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gj2HqlANm4

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The lit-up move ball is a known dimension as well, so it can error-correct positional data based on the two-camera depth perception. There limits to the tech, sure, but it's burlier than people seem to give it credit for. None of the various systems operate in a vacuum, either. The accelerometers and gyros and visual data all reinforce and check each other.

The whole system doesn't handle less than ideal conditions well but anecdotally the tolerance for ideal conditions is far wider than, again, it get given credit for. All around the repurposing of existing (cheap) tech for VR is an impressive feat considering what the other guys spent to get it moving.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Casnorf posted:

The lit-up move ball is a known dimension as well, so it can error-correct positional data based on the two-camera depth perception. There limits to the tech, sure, but it's burlier than people seem to give it credit for. None of the various systems operate in a vacuum, either. The accelerometers and gyros and visual data all reinforce and check each other.

Position isn't the problem though, it's rotation, and those systems literally can't "reinforce eachother" because all the Move Camera can ever tell is where that bright ball is and nothing more. PCVR hardware can tell both where something is and what direction it is facing because the tracked objects either have unique light patterns or sensors identifying both and fine-tune from there with other hardware. I have an Aim Controller and that sucker loves to driiiiiifffft.

The fundamental problem is a Move Controller's onboard tracking is blindly operating relative to an assumed zero point of rotation. A zero point that can subtly shift over time because there's no way for it to correct itself externally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Yes. Though accel and gyro should work together there. One G is a known constant and easy referent. Between that and real time positional data you should be able to poll a zero point fairly regularly. But obviously that's not working or not what's being done so there must be something I'm missing.