Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One G is a reference point for pitch and roll but there's no natural reference for yaw (and using a magnetic compass for that is not as simple as it sounds). Which is why when drift happens it's always to the left or right, never up or down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The PS5 having WiFi 6 is a pretty big indicator that PSVR2 will be wireless, which is nice. I'll get to trip over my furniture.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

haveblue posted:

One G is a reference point for pitch and roll but there's no natural reference for yaw (and using a magnetic compass for that is not as simple as it sounds). Which is why when drift happens it's always to the left or right, never up or down.

That makes a ton of sense.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Steve Yun posted:

Finished the campaign of Squadrons and it was a ton of fun. I might try it again on a higher difficulty before playing multiplayer

How is the multiplayer for you guys?

Multiplayer is the only mode I've spent any real time in, it''s fantastic. Glad to know the campaign is good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Casnorf posted:

That makes a ton of sense.

Stand up, close your eyes, get a sense for what direction your facing. Now turn around a few times and try to figure out out where "forward" originally was. Do it a few more times back-and-forth in each direction before checking again. That's what your gyro's doing, only it can't check and has to assume its guess is correct.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stand up, close your eyes, get a sense for what direction your facing. Now turn around a few times and try to figure out out where "forward" originally was. Do it a few more times back-and-forth in each direction before checking again. That's what your gyro's doing, only it can't check and has to assume its guess is correct.

That is precisely why it seems odd that the camera/headset double check isn't more effective. Because the headset knows all the real space positioning exactly and would make a nice referent for the moves.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m finally playing Blood and Truth and having a grand time taking out the London criminal underworld. Aside from the reloading being finicky at times in the middle of a fire-fight, its a good introduction to a VR fps.

1) is there a way to store Grenades? Or are they meant to be used immediately

2) i noticed I am dizzy a bit after playing and I take off the VR headset. Like I have to sit down for a few minutes and “adjust”. I’ve played Astrobot , Beatsaber, and Everyone’s Golf and never had this issue. I wonder if its just because I’m using so much more of my peripheral vision in this game?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can hold on to grenades but you can't store them. You can throw them, hit slow-mo, and shoot them while they're in the air though, same with grenades that baddies throw at you, or just grab them from the air and throw them back. It rules.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend pointed out that X-Wings handle like 60’s Buicks compared to A-Wings and now my esteem of them has been irreparably tarnished

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm starting to think the A-Wing is the MK.4 Volkswagen of Squadrons. It handles great and feels sexy when you pilot it, but it's actually sort of a pile of poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
U Wings are the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile of Star Wars because everyone is happy to see it but it can’t turn for poo poo

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I would say X-Wings are more like 70s Challengers - they are great as long as you are going in a straight line :iiaca:

But, kidding aside, are you guys rolling? I scream at my laptop when I watch youtube videos or tips articles that say that rolling is not really used much. :wrong: you turn SO much faster in any ship if you roll while you turn.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I do roll and yeah it’s faster. I got into the habit because of Ace Combat 7 and it’s cool that it applies in Squadrons too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

My friend pointed out that X-Wings handle like 60’s Buicks compared to A-Wings and now my esteem of them has been irreparably tarnished

I see someone's played Rogue Leader and knows all the cheat codes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, poo poo, Squadrons crashed and my save file got corrupted

I don’t recall a PS4 game ever doing that

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Well, poo poo, Squadrons crashed and my save file got corrupted

I don’t recall a PS4 game ever doing that

Chances are it crashed while writing the save. That's a danger with any drive write, period, anywhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's ways to mitigate that, which I guess the PS4 isn't doing? lovely bug

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

There's ways to mitigate that, which I guess the PS4 isn't doing? lovely bug

There really aren't ways to mitigate the actual danger time. If the save encounters unexpected end-of-file the unwritten data is gone forever and there's nothing you can do about it. Best you can hope for is to restore a backup, which the PS4 provides plenty of functionality for. Don't really know what you're looking for here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casnorf posted:

Chances are it crashed while writing the save. That's a danger with any drive write, period, anywhere.

I feel like most systems have eliminated this problem altogether for years. The old file is not overwritten, and pointers to it aren't deleted until the new file is successfully written and verified.

edit: ^^^ There's plenty of ways for the new file to fail, but it should be able to gracefully fail back to the most recent save, as opposed to making one start over.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah, I don't know why games in TYOL 2020 games don't have at least a couple of previous saves to fall back on. I'd much rather lose 60 minutes than the whole progress.

Steve Yun, do you have your saves synced to cloud? Can you try to pull down the cloud save?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well as it turns out it said that it needed to rewrite the save file... and it looked like I didn't lose any progress?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity, does the new 8.0 update fix the PSVR headset being hard-coded to only use the HMD's microphone?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqQNfmQIPD4

Maybe firewall isn't dead? Maybe they added rounds! And fixed the matchmaking!! hahaha... who am I kidding. :smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many missions does Squadrons have? For some reason I thought it was 10 but it's still going.

The blow up the corvettes with mines bit in 11 or 12 kinda sucked, though. Easy to get disoriented and the windows are very short.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

14 missions. And I don't think the first two tutorial missions count. So 16?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Noticed this was on sale:
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP1264-CUSA17360_00-4152434849414354

Probably not going to buy it since it's pretty much my fears made real but has anyone checked it out?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The allure of flying around in an X-Wing got me to bust out my PSVR after more than a year in hibernation.

But if I take the headset off while playing, I get nothing but black screen when I put it back on and start playing again. It does this regardless of whether I exit to the PS4 main screen first. I have to completely exit the game and restart. This doesn't happen with other games. Is this a known thing, and is there a fix?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Though it doesn't help existing owners, apparently there's a new set of PSVR bundles in Japan that come with the PS5 camera adapter included. They'll probably make their way worldwide before long, I'd expect.

They also clarified some details about PSVR on PS5;

quote:

• You will need the PS4 to PS5 camera adapter to use PSVR with PS5
  • The PS4 to PS5 camera adapter will be provided free of charge to existing PSVR owners (details on how to get one are still forthcoming)
  • PSVR on PS5 apparently won’t support DualShock 5 controllers. Supported controllers are DualShock 4, PS Move, and PS Aim.

Nothing unexpected that we didn't already know. And pretty much confirms you won't get to use your PSVR headset for new PSVR2 games, given the DualSense is a no-go for it and DS4's don't work with PS5 games.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So I could be using my ps3 move controllers, ps4 controller to play vr on my ps5. Are they at least going to give us move controllers with a microusb

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did, the rev 2 PSVR kits come with them. Not sure if the Moves sold separately ever got updated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

haveblue posted:

They did, the rev 2 PSVR kits come with them. Not sure if the Moves sold separately ever got updated.

They did, I bought a separate one to go with my old PS3 one so I annoyingly have to charge them with different cables.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though it doesn't help existing owners, apparently there's a new set of PSVR bundles in Japan that come with the PS5 camera adapter included. They'll probably make their way worldwide before long, I'd expect.

They also clarified some details about PSVR on PS5;

Nothing unexpected that we didn't already know. And pretty much confirms you won't get to use your PSVR headset for new PSVR2 games, given the DualSense is a no-go for it and DS4's don't work with PS5 games.

The “no DS5” thing is interesting, but it does make me wonder if they’ll use a different tracking scheme once PSVR2 happens, and how that’ll affect back compatibility.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It could be that PSVR2 comes with Move2 controllers and the DualSense isn't supported at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dewgy posted:

The “no DS5” thing is interesting, but it does make me wonder if they’ll use a different tracking scheme once PSVR2 happens, and how that’ll affect back compatibility.

If they made PSVR 2 and used the same tracking they would be out of their drat minds.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

If they made PSVR 2 and used the same tracking they would be out of their drat minds.

Out of their goddman minds!

I'm sure they'll make some type of new controls.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Don't a lot of the games need the light on the front of the DS4 for position tracking? I believe that's absent on the DS5 which could explain incompatability.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
What’s the latest with firewall, I hear the match making got messed up a while back or something? Do they still make you wait 5 mins between each game or have they introduced rounds like a normal game?

Not sure whether it’s worth getting ps+ to give it another go or not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The "No Dualsense" thing is strictly about existing PS4/VR games on PS5, it's not about PSVR2 or whatever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kirbysuperstar posted:

The "No Dualsense" thing is strictly about existing PS4/VR games on PS5, it's not about PSVR2 or whatever.

Yeah I think I may have phrased my comment weirdly, they’d definitely have to change the tracking tech, but would it be in a way that messes with PSVR1 compatibility on a new headset? Who knows. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Yeah I think I may have phrased my comment weirdly, they’d definitely have to change the tracking tech, but would it be in a way that messes with PSVR1 compatibility on a new headset? Who knows. :shrug:

I recall it always being implied you'd have to use the PSVR1 for PSVR1 games, but I can't be bothered to go search for that :v: