Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
EA launch is tonight at 12am EST.

If you're not in the right Discord, check the OP. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Inkel posted:

Yes. But they're crazy if they think they'll be able to have no wipes. People will find glitches and exploits that will allow them to amass a huge amount of resources or destroy other people's stuff with no effort, blocking npc spawns with player buildings, building under the terrain, etc. Then eventually mega clans will take over official servers and run everyone else into the ground. It's just a matter of how long they'll hold out before giving in and doing a wipe.

Clans like ours ruin the "no wipe" thing pretty quickly. Redditors like the idea until organized clans conquer and destroy literally everything worth having forever. :wooper:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So Pros:

+ Game has a meaningful stat system, and levelling system (IE levelling is fun and feels satisfying progressing, and stats matter. Being able to carry more poo poo and smash faces harder or have more health or have food/water last longer is neat and good)
+ PVE is a fun distraction and ensures you have something to do when not PVPing
+ PVP, when not rubberbanding, is hilarious and fun
+ Standard UE4 base building, VERY akin to Rust
+ Full Mod support
+ Community hosted servers are super customizable
+ :dong:

Cons (currently):

- No Linux server support at the moment, BTFO
- Rubberbanding across all servers, but a patch is coming in like 2 hours?
- Currently, you can punch down t1 walls, I don't know how they missed that but lol
- Official servers have clan limit sizes, and enforced 70 slot maxes until the map is expanded

Tonight, join us for roaming on community servers, punching down bases and slaying mans with our handcrafted welfare gear! The good word must be spread. :getin:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 31, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

quote:

Update from the developers
posted by Community Manager (Andy B) @ 03:13PM on January 31, 2017
Greetings, Exiles!

Early Access is here and the initial interest in the game is well beyond our expectations! Conan Exiles has soared to the top of both Steam and Twitch, and a very large number of players have begun their journey in the Exiled Lands.

We're very excited to see thousands flock to Conan Exiles to be part of the development process together with us on the development team, and you have already helped us identify some key issues that we are now working very hard to resolve.

We just released a patch that fixes some of the issues that have been reported so far today. One of the things we are trying to address is the lag (including the so-called 'rubberbanding') that have revealed itself on many of the official servers.

You will notice that the official servers that previously had a capacity of 70 players have now been reduced to 40 players. This is a temporary solution to ensure a better play experience for you while we work on resolving the underlying issues. We expect to increase the player capacity as soon as those issues are resolved. This patch has also introduced other fixes that should alleviate some of the lag issues.

The team continues to work hard on fixing problems as they come up. In these first few days after launch our focus is on resolving the most pressing issues, and we will be introducing more patches over the next few days to make the experience better.

Please remember to share your feedback with us here on the forums. This is Early Access and your feedback is critical for us to be able to improve the game. This is just the start of the journey and we're very excited to be sharing this journey with you.

Make sure to check out the Patch Notes post for the latest update information:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/142261352660363713/

Best regards,
The Conan Exiles Team

:wooper:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Baron Porkface posted:

Does this game genuinely need several minutes to load or is it Funcompetence?

I have mine loaded on an SSD as well, it loads really fast but can't speak to individual results. UE4 tends to be CPU heavy when loading assets.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

1stGear posted:

Are goons playing on the Battleye required servers? Cause man, I do not like what I'm reading in that EULA or online about that system.

Yes, and it'll be pretty normal on every server. I've used BattleEye for Arma as well, and it's no more intrusive than Warden, EAC, or VAC. Except unlike most of those, it actually works quite well.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

the server browser in game is hosed. If you use steams server list that will work.

They just patched the IG server browser again, but the steam one is better because it queues you.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
There hasn't been a Detroit this fine being constructed since vanilla Rust. Pure organized madness.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Givin posted:

Are there iron ore nodes? Where are they usually located? I've outgrown sandstone it seems.

You have to head inland...top half of the map is littered with coal (dark rocks) and iron (silvery metallic rocks)

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Elendil004 posted:

How do you ditch corruption?

You have to talk to [enslave] a priest, and they will cleanse you.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like how Hunger and theist work in this game. You eat a giant steak and guzzle water and you're good for a long drat time compared to other survival games where it's like "oh you haven't eaten 3000 calories in half an hour guess you're starving!"

Pray to Yog! Sanctified Meat fills both water and hunger! :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Some Detroit Updates:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Trainmonk posted:

Has anyone actually looked at the OP's website? Fuckin lmao.

"We aren’t a Goon group per se. Most our founders and members are Goons, but SA has gone to poo poo and we disagree with the culture it now has, so we are now more a group of dicks looking for other dicks. Our big thing is that we generally hate most Goons (Especially spergy whiney ones who care too much about social issues and being “nice”.) and value real free speech. No safe spaces up in this bitch. All we do is shitpost and talk bad about everyone. Also, occasionally we kill mans."

See: exhibit A. :smuggo:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 2, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The lingering issue (that Rust had as well) is that currently you can't be AFK'ed off a server. Which means the pubbie poopsockers are NEVER logging off their servers to ensure that no one else can hop on and poopsock harder than they poopsock.

Between this, and the bug that allowed recipe exploiting, full wipes are inevitable. When this happens, I theorize, the real poopsocking begins. If you want to do some HELPFUL TEAMWORK THINGS now, check Discord. There is work to be done. :wooper:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Ping Perfect was pretty bad from the onset, and I have a feeling it was their agreement with FunCom that arbitrarily prevented FunCom from releasing the files for Linux server support.

If FunCom was intelligent, they would just release the Linux files and the community would then fill in most of the gaps as far as servers go.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Also gently caress goons.

If the server we were on still matters ill try to complete my wall to keep out goons.

We're better at building walls to keep terrible goons out than you are. :smuggo:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

lilspooky posted:

Is this game as lovely and grindy as Ark or does it somehow fix that aspect of that terrible game?

There is still kind of an XP grind to the higher levels, but honestly it's not bad. T3 buildings take an absurd amount of resources, but I think Conan really tries to push people into group play which makes things easier. (Because ultimately part of the endgame is having your own towns/little fiefdoms and attacking other nerds) I would say it's less grindy than Ark, a little moreso than Rust.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 4, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Also gently caress goons.

If the server we were on still matters ill try to complete my wall to keep out goons.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

there was literally no reason to ban me.

:frogon:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The goon server is almost up. It's in the last step of updating the server-side files.

We've had to reverse engineer almost everything to get around FunCom's Linux restriction. It'll be up. You can rent a server if you want to but patience will pay off.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 5, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Sapphira posted:

Any ETA on this? Just curious if 'almost up' means 4 hours or like a few days :o

Tonight. Like maybe within the next 30 minutes.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadget posted:

Is this up now then or did something go horribly wrong?

When it is set up...make sure the port is 7777 or it won't show up in the in game browser and voice chat won't work (according to recent theories that I have somewhat confirmed myself)

We're getting the blackscreen bug a bunch of server admins are reporting. We can see, connect, and configure the server properly. But when we connect all we get is a blackscreen. We fell asleep but about 6 of us are awake now and working on it again. Will keep people posted.

Silver lining though, our server will support 100 people out of the gate I think.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Our server is up and running. You can find it on the discord listed in the OP -- It's a 65GB 70 slot server on a main pipe.

Password is listed on Discord (in the OP) as well. Password will only stay for 24 hours.

In the next 24 hours there might be some ups and downs as we tune and configure our jury rigged windows in a linux box experiment.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
CUT MY SERVER INTO PIECES, THIS IS MY LISTENING PORT
.INI, NO CONFIGGING DON'T GIVE A gently caress IF THE TITLE SAYS GRIEFING
COULD WE BE WRONG COULD WE BE RIGHT, CHANCES ARE THAT WE MIGHT, SERVER UPTIME OUT OF SIGHT, AND IM CONTEMPLATING SUICIDE

BECAUSE IM LOSING MY PING, LOSING MY TIME, WISH FUNCOM WOULD TELL ME LINUX IS FINE

LOSING MY PING, LOSING MY TIME, WISH FUNCOM WOULDN'T LIE THIS TIME

NOTHING, IS RIGHT, NOTHING IS FINE, .INIs FOR ALL TIIIIIIME
It all started when we lost our official hoster, no slots for myself, no slots for another. Tried to run our server on a higher level, gently caress it, nothing but questions and devils

BECAUSE IM LOSING MY PING, LOSING MY TIME, WISH FUNCOM WOULD TELL ME LINUX IS FINE, LOSING MY PING, LOSING MY TIME, WISH FUNCOM WOULDN'T LIE THIS TIME!

FUUUUUUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUN COOOOOOOOM, AND WINDOWS SERVERS, FUUUUUUUCK FUUUUUUUUN COOOOOOOOM AND WINDOWS SERVERS.

RIIIIIGHT?

right.

(server is down because .ini's reset on reboot, fixing.) :v:

edit:

it's back up

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 6, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think we're going to set a cron job to run a server restart script every 8 hours or so, and add a text warning if we can. The server control and config tools are still pretty buggy and rudimentary.

But beyond that, we had about 50 people on at max last night (just goons), and the server wasn't rubber banding or doing anything weird beyond what happens because of the wonky early access bugs, so we're pretty pleased. Tonight we will take the password off and open it up to the public. There aren't a ton of 70 slot servers up, and I think ours is the only run that doesn't run like poo poo, so we should get pretty good traffic. There currently isn't an AFK timer, but I think we can config that as well to stop server squating beyond the server resets purging everyone out.

People are free to run their own servers of course, but this one is running on a 64GB dedicated box on a main pipe, so I challenge anyone to run one with better performance, and as soon as mod support is added, we'll be adding mods that goons request. I don't think anyone can claim an "official" goon server, but as far as I am concerned, this one is the one. We managed to do what FunCom didn't let the community do: we coded their Windows only server files to run on a Linux box and will keep adding a lot of backend support and changes to improve and fix poo poo. It's an ongoing process, so there might be some bumps but we're pretty happy with the results so far.

As far as the different clans, we'll try to increase the support for clans from 30 to 70 today, along with adjusting XP rates and poo poo further, and adding a longer day cycle. And changing the server display region from Europe to NA, since it's hosted in the US. But BMW as a "clan" in the game is more or less the core group I and others usually play with, we've taken on a bunch of new people though as well, and I strongly encourage other goons and friends to form clans as well, or stay with the "main" goon clan under Duster. It's just more fun this way. When pubbies flood the server I'm sure we will band together, but if a goon didn't knock out a pillar wrecking half of a base thing, a pubbie would have immediately because :psyduck: don't build a skyfort predicated on one pillar in a survival game? My general rule no matter what happens though is Goons > not goons. I think BMW and any other goon clan will always rush to the aid of another when attacked by pubbies, but when there is no one to fight the wolves turn on each other. :getin:

We've added, and will also add, more voice channels on the BMW Discord (linked in the OP) for different groups to play on and can add server groups special for large groups as needed. There are also all the conan information channels with *useful info* as well.

If people have questions though, feel free to PM me there with concerns or server issues, or anything that needs attention and we'll try to take a look at it. Would really like to thank Tempus Thales and others though who put so much work into getting the server running this weekend.

We ran the math, and we feel like we can support 125+ player slots easily, but right now the game is hardlocked at 70.

Remember: The server password will be taken off at around 8pm EST tonight, so pubbies will rush the server in short order. Prepare for hilarity. :wooper:

You can find the server either in game or using the steam browser by searching "something dongful"

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 6, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

125 would be DECEEENT!

What about when the entire map is littered with broken homes and failed fortresses after a week? Will that effect the server at all?

There is a decay mechanic built into the game, but I was wondering about that last night -- we may try to write some kind of garbage cleanup script that deals with a lot of that.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Akumos posted:

This is where BMW is building their mountain base fyi

we clearly should have done a better job of hiding the gigantic staircase, huge buildings up on a hill, and random poo poo shacks on the ground

if only we had concealed our position better

now all is exposed for all to see :ohdear:

Akumos posted:

sounds like you guys are simply mad i'm the superior griefing dick goon, lil baby has to resort to bans :^(

i want you to know how much i enjoyed clicking that button btw

i bet it was the only time anyone's ever been happy to see your name on a server list

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

eonwe posted:

me seeing a new akumos post in the thread: :mrgw:

:same:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858035949

We published a guide on running FunCom's Windows-only server files on Linux.

They're probably going to be mad.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Our server is back up, with many improvements to auto-restarting and other things. Running super smooth.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

BabyFur Denny posted:

How can I join a server by IP?

you can also simply open the console in game with the "~" key and type "open [server ip]" without quotes.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
To be honest I think a lot of the glitches aren't a server setting issue, and they are just issues caused by the rapid (probably sloppy, if needed) patching by Funcom. They're on a faster than 24 hours turntime so this isn't surprising.

Any issues fixed or seemingly fixed by changing a server setting is likely placebo, or simply a result of the server just restarting itself.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Been playing this game on another server with some friends, and I have a few questions.

Is the third tier of walls destroy-able by anything in the game now?

Any word form the devs (I haven't seen any streams or heard of how to find them) if Crom altars will be added soon?

Where do you goons find is the best place to farm spiders for their ichor? I loving hate that drop rate.

Also I saw a neat map a few pages back (flagrantly displaying the BMW base in a case of dumb goon drama), where can I find a non marked up one with the grid system?

Third tier walls can be blown up with explosive jars. Just tougher than t2.

Crom Altars will be added sometime-ish but that god is stupid and doesn't do anything so IDK why

NE area of the map has a lot of spiders and there are maps that mark all the NPC spawn types

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gamesguy posted:

I think all the main camp goons quit the server already. Everybody in the clan is waiting for an official server and want to pvp with pubbies.

the server is still populated and there are a number of goons playing, there are like 3-4 goon bases at this point. There just isn't a central goon guild and there are a bunch of splinters.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glenn Quebec posted:

I went into someone's fresh server that was PVE ONLY GUYS but still had PvP enabled. I bee lined it to where the iron is and grinded until I could make a sword. I descended like the avatar of an angry and forgotten God while the three or four of them we were making some peaceful village by the river. Lmao I never had so much fun in my life.

You make your ancestors proud. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
As compared to say, Rust, Conan is a game at least in the current meta that rewards building wide as opposed to tall. The wider and more stable a base is the harder to raid it will be. Honeycombing invariably will become a thing.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 8, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Some pictures of some things people have built on our server so far:

Bonus sandstorm:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Poopsocked all day and decided to build my own version of the Eagle's Nest in Detroit:

this game is fun.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
We used Fortify to design a lot of rust bases. The geometry on almost everything is the same. I recommend it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

Big ups to the two pubbies (?) On Dongful making a floating river house near my compound and delivering rhino meat as tribute.

They've been very nice neighbors and are probably plotting to kill me.

The pubbies on Dongful are plentiful, and strangely friendly. I witnessed one accidentally killing one today and then giving him a new set of gear as an apology.

Also our server rank keeps going up, so I hope FunCom allows an AFK timeout to be implemented soon. Even with an invalid version error this morning 20 people were on still playing by connecting through steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I love this game but being forced to run a UE4-based game on my SSD is pretty :mediocre:

• Locked thread