Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I do know that 'Blyat' is equivalent to 'Bitch', but I'm afraid my Russian expletives ends there.

Interestingly, the Reich here seems to salute the state as opposed to the head of government. Well, I assume they're saluting.

Edit: In the books the Reich is located in three central stations on the Chekhovskaya, Pushkinskaya and Tverskaya lines. If I had to guess, the C is an abbreviated anglicisation of tsentral'nyy (центральный, if Google hasn't betrayed me), but they realised too late that people without knowledge of the Moscow underground probably wouldn't get that.

Oddly enough, the books have a perfectly reasonable quasi-swastika design for the Nazis that also signifies the troika stations. I don't know why they didn't use it.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Samovar posted:

Well, I do know that 'Blyat' is equivalent to 'Bitch', but I'm afraid my Russian expletives ends there.
The literal translation is "whore", but it is more commonly used as a filler word, at least among uneducated / некультурные people. Talk to a working class person, blya, and it's all, blya, filler words like blya, blya, every second word, blya.

A very rough equivalent would be loving saying gently caress every loving other word, for fucks sake.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

Also, wow, good job Spartans, keeping your secrets intact, as one of the biggest and scariest factions in the Metro found out about it and have already started hypothesizing about what's in there. Someone ought to be fired.

In their defence, it probably became obvious to everyone something was up when we suddenly launched a missile barrage at the Dark Ones' nest at the end of 2033. :v:

Samovar posted:

Edit: In the books the Reich is located in three central stations on the Chekhovskaya, Pushkinskaya and Tverskaya lines. If I had to guess, the C is an abbreviated anglicisation of tsentral'nyy (центральный, if Google hasn't betrayed me), but they realised too late that people without knowledge of the Moscow underground probably wouldn't get that.

Oddly enough, the books have a perfectly reasonable quasi-swastika design for the Nazis that also signifies the troika stations. I don't know why they didn't use it.

Yeah, they had a combination of the "classic" swastika and a triskelion of sorts; here you can see the station layout Samovar mentions (and D6 off the grid since it's Metro-2):

And here's a closer look at the "C" Apep727 mentions and the Swastriskelion from the 2033 beta:

This is what I could find about the "C", but [citation needed]:

quote:

"The Nazi faction's symbol is a big "C" instead of any actual Third Reich-related imagery. This C is the Moscow Metro sign for stop/no entry, symbolizing the Nazis' attempts at getting rid of all ethnic groups other than their own."

Also, unrelated but:

Samovar posted:

Finally, it's obvious why Anna calls you rabbit; she's seen your avatar.
How the hell did I miss out on making that joke. Blya. :negative:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Really enjoying this LP!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sound cue. Sound queue is something else entirely.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Sound cue. Sound queue is something else entirely.

Argh, I completely missed that. Thanks for the spot and sorry all for the mistake.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 26, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Argh, I completely missed that. Thanks for the spot and sorry all for the mistake. I'll see about re-uploading it.

That's the problem with ingrained subtitles. (In addition to subs at the top of the video being covered by the title every time you pause / fast forward)

Oh, and you may want to check out the "Shadow Ranger" speedrun (spoilers, obviously) if you want to see more examples of this game's brilliant :downs:STEALTH!:downs: system at work.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: We're back! :siren: (sorry about that! :sweatdrop:)

Where we meet a ventriloquist and learn about tails.

Journal entries for this update:

There's a bit of dialogue if you follow the two soldiers, but since 2 minutes of crouch-walking for a line of dialogue didn't make for exciting footage, here it is:

We now have custom thumbnails on the videos! :toot:

Montalvo posted:

Really enjoying this LP!
:D

Xander77 posted:

That's the problem with ingrained subtitles. (In addition to subs at the top of the video being covered by the title every time you pause / fast forward)
Oh, and you may want to check out the "Shadow Ranger" speedrun (spoilers, obviously) if you want to see more examples of this game's brilliant :downs:STEALTH!:downs: system at work.
Yeah, having to reencode is kind of annoying, but unfortunately YT's subtitle support is closer to closed captioning so you get the ugly black box behind the text and you can't do anything even remotely decently looking.

I'll check the speedrun out, thanks!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'll check the speedrun out, thanks!
Forgot to link. Spoilers for anyone watching along at home.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Obviously Pavel had to keep repeating that one line at the start. He was going on about a revolution.

Edit: I also remember a playthrough trailer which had this level, but with a very different weapon...

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 26, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

Obviously Pavel had to keep repeating that one line at the start. He was going on about a revolution.

Edit: I also remember a playthrough trailer which had this level, but with a very different weapon...
Pavel was trying to lead by example, but the subtlety went right over Artyom's head.

We'll be getting the weapon you mention, but it's not going to be showing up until we're about 2/3 into the game unfortunately. :(

Xander77 posted:

Forgot to link. Spoilers for anyone watching along at home.
Should have known it would be prenatual. That dude is utterly insane, he does high level stealth game runs while severely handicapping himself. This way you get stuff like a Dishonoured run without using blink or gear, a 100% loot, no suspicion, no KO Thief run, or a "Perfect Stealth" run for MGS5 which involves not leaving a single trace of your presence in an area. He ends up pulling some :psyduck: stuff.
If any of you have a slight interest in stealth games, I recommend you check his channel (sans the Last Light videos, of course :colbert:).

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Oh cool, a new Metro: LL! I played the poo poo out of Metro 2033, LL and both remasters a few years ago.

Ranger Mode and the lack of HUD isn't as big of a deal in LL, where you can mod sights to most weapons one way or another. This was not possible in the original 2033, where sometimes you could get lucky and find an extended barrel revolver or silenced rifle. They changed this for 2033 Redux to the LL model of "mod anything". This made guns kind of a crapshoot in 2033 and especially at long range/small targets/precision firing (e.g. those necks...), but there was a way to make sure you hit - use the knife and "stab" in the air - Artyom would always stab where the crosshair was, so then you could switch to a firearm and fire with precison.

As people have already pointed out, 2033 is a very different game. 2033 is a survival horror fps and LL is a semi-stealthy arena shooter. Enemies in 2033 are much more aware of surroundings and will hear the player moving around. In the Redux versions, you can choose to play either in "Survival" or "Spartan" mode, which kind of corresponds to the 2033 and LL experience, respectively. I remember playing LL Redux on a high difficulty (Ranger Hardcore?) Survival mode. This is a very bad idea, and there is a reason I don't think LL isn't meant to be played on Survival Ranger Hardcore. But all in due time. I'll sit back and enjoy for now.

In episode 2, Anna only makes the comment about you ogling her behind if you look up. Look at the wall and she won't say anything about it.

bman in 2288 posted:

I want to bring up something about the mechanics of the first game: the bullet sponge issue with the enemies. It has to do with the way Metro 2033 calculated damage. In that game, all articles of clothing and each individual piece of armor contributed to an enemy's defense. Fortunately for the developers, the mechanic worked. Unfortunately for the developers, the mechanic really worked. More likely than not, the enemy would be wearing helmets, and those blocked a lot of headshot damage. In fact, you'd be more lethal if you aimed for the neck, inside of stealth or in open firefights, because no one has armored collars.

Necks are really small targets, by the way.
Yep! A cool and fun mechanic was that clips and other loot would be stuck to their clothes, so you had to mouse around their bodies to find all the goodies. On the other hand, this could mean that a lethal throwing knife in the back would bounce off a magazine and alert the entire base. Not as fun.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Sale alert! :siren:

Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux are on sale at Indiegala (they activate on Steam) for 5 bucks each.

The Bundle is not discounted, unfortunately. It usually goes for $7.50 in Steam sales so this is a bit more expensive, but it's a great deal anyway.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Are you going to play through the DLC campaigns? If you don't have them, now's your chance to grab the complete Redux version.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Are you going to play through the DLC campaigns? If you don't have them, now's your chance to grab the complete Redux version.

I never got the DLC (I actually thought they had stopped selling it for the base game since Steam just redirects you to the main page) and since there's so little difference between LL and Redux's engines, I never considered getting Redux, even for the extra missions.

At our current rate of 2 videos a week it's going to take us until late December to finish the main game, so we can see what the interest is in seeing the DLC as we go along; I can see about getting Redux during the winter sale if people still want to see more Metro by then.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Or is it Sputnik posted:

In the Redux versions, you can choose to play either in "Survival" or "Spartan" mode, which kind of corresponds to the 2033 and LL experience, respectively.
One neat effect of this is that you get the 2033 watch if you go Survival. It uses the blue light bulb to indicate stealth, though, not the red-yellow-green lights.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I remember playing LL Redux on a high difficulty (Ranger Hardcore?) Survival mode. This is a very bad idea, and there is a reason I don't think LL isn't meant to be played on Survival Ranger Hardcore. But all in due time. I'll sit back and enjoy for now.
I believe you are right. It actually caused me to restart my first playthrough.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I can see about getting Redux during the winter sale if people still want to see more Metro by then.
I would like to see you play the Redux version and go Ranger Easy mode, because then you can start the game with the Azbats and go :black101: through the entire game.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 30, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we return a favour.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I would like to see you play the Redux version and go Ranger Easy mode, because then you can start the game with the Azbats and go :black101: through the entire game.
Murder Ranger playthrough could be a fun bonus video. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Where we return a favour.
There's a fairly good modified Bastard in the room to the right, just before you pass through this door:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYz10Fyoag&t=494s

Also a modified Tikhar in the lockers as you go down the stairs to the well illuminated room. Makes for a solid improvement over Bastards and Ashots.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Huh... I don't remember ever seeing that toilet.

What Pavel is singing as the nazis prepare him for execution is, of course, the Internationale.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I noticed something in this video - your watch actually works. The time actually changes as you play. I'm not sure if it's in real-time, but the time does change. It also jumped back about an hour when you walked into the freezer or whatever that room was with the guy huddled on the ground, but still, that's another neat little detail.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Apep727 posted:

I noticed something in this video - your watch actually works. The time actually changes as you play. I'm not sure if it's in real-time, but the time does change. It also jumped back about an hour when you walked into the freezer or whatever that room was with the guy huddled on the ground, but still, that's another neat little detail.

It's real time. Actual real time. Same as last game, only digital this time.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

There's a fairly good modified Bastard in the room to the right, just before you pass through this door:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYz10Fyoag&t=494s

Also a modified Tikhar in the lockers as you go down the stairs to the well illuminated room. Makes for a solid improvement over Bastards and Ashots.
I saw the Bastard in one of my test runs, but since I was sneaking around and not using guns it completely slipped my mind when I recorded. I totally missed that Tikhar, though :(. I'll probably do a video at some point going Murder Ranger to show off some of the guns that won't be seeing much use during my regular play.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Huh... I don't remember ever seeing that toilet.

What Pavel is singing as the nazis prepare him for execution is, of course, the Internationale.
It would have completely escaped my attention if not for the guard coughing. It's easy to get tunnel vision while sneaking and missing stuff because you just didn't see it in the darkness.

Nice catch with The Internationale; I realised it wasn't the Russian anthem but wouldn't have placed it beyond that.

Apep727 posted:

Well spotted! I was wondering if anyone would notice that. :D

The watch is actually displaying irl time whenever you're not using the gas mask. I usually try and record everything in one go, but it starts getting trickier as the game progresses so sometimes I end with 2 or 3 videos for a same level; the time jumps you see in game are where I cut the video to join the various takes.

This particular video has 4 cuts:
-The one you spotted when walking into the fridge, since I re-recorded the start of the level to grab that conversation upstairs.
-An easy to spot one wen I drop down into the sewers the second time.
-Throwing the lever to open the gate at the end of the level takes me a bit under 7 hours. :v:
-There's one final cut during the cutscene when artyom is crawling up behind the guards at the execution.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Edmond Dantes posted:

The watch is actually displaying irl time whenever you're not using the gas mask.

Okay, that's even cooler than I thought. I'd expected it to be the time in-game, like that there might be some kind of official time-line.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
If you knock out that guard who is inspecting the grate and he slips into the water, does he drown? If so, does that ruin your no-kill run?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:potg:

I'm really enjoying the LP so far!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dooky Dingo posted:

If you knock out that guard who is inspecting the grate and he slips into the water, does he drown? If so, does that ruin your no-kill run?

Pretty sure it doesn't, that's footage from my first time through the level doing full stealth where I got the achievement for it.

I may have gotten super lucky with his ragdoll when I knocked him out, since his head is above water:

But after some googling I didn't find anyone whining about their missing cheevo for knocking a dude out who then dies on his own a la Deus Ex or Dishonoured, so they probably just didn't program the water in those pipes to be a hazard.

"[b posted:

subway masturbator[/b]" post="464849077"]
I'm really enjoying the LP so far!

You are, aren't you? :catstare:

:3: thanks

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Dooky Dingo posted:

There isn't really a running-out-of-air-drowning mechanic in the game, so probably not. A point of discussion about the Shadow Ranger achievement ("kill no humans") is if you can steal filters from enemies in irradiated areas or not. In my experience this does not count as "killing", so it's likely that the game tracks gun, knife or secondary weapon kills and not much else.

However, if you accidentaly shoot, stab or blow up someone in your no-kill run, your savefile is now corrupt and you have to start a new game to get the achievement. Reloading a checkpoint is not enough. Fun!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not only is this kind of a Half-Life game, it's also a far better Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 was.

I'm really digging the LP so far.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That scene with Pavel at the end was where I lost the pacifist run.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Or is it Sputnik posted:

if you accidentaly shoot, stab or blow up someone in your no-kill run, your savefile is now corrupt and you have to start a new game to get the achievement. Reloading a checkpoint is not enough. Fun!

Then we won't be seeing that achievement pop up, I've been doing a lot of murderin' on my practise runs. :v:

Samovar posted:

That scene with Pavel at the end was where I lost the pacifist run.

Fun Fact: You can get the pacifist achievement for that level and still murder the two guards with Pavel, the achievement actually pops up when you're crawling through the back:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Not only is this kind of a Half-Life game, it's also a far better Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 was.

I'm really digging the LP so far.
Yeah, the whole setting is amazing; I particularly love the Siberian wasteland thing going on, though it feels like LL takes place closer to spring/autumn compared to 2033 where everything was iced over.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride! :D

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Does anyone in this game ever stop talking? :v: It feels like anyone that Artyom follows, or who follows Artyom, for more than a couple of steps, just can't shut their mouth. First Anna, then Pavel.

That aside, I'm getting a feeling like the gameplay of Last Light is IMMENSELY improved from 2033, not to mention the level design.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PurpleXVI posted:

Does anyone in this game ever stop talking? :v: It feels like anyone that Artyom follows, or who follows Artyom, for more than a couple of steps, just can't shut their mouth. First Anna, then Pavel.
It's to fill in the awkward silence from hanging around Artyom for any length of time. He missed his calling as an interrogator.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PurpleXVI posted:

And when they shut up I show up. :v:

I was originally planning to make this a voiced LP, thinking I'd have to time any commentary as not to talk over dialogue, but I began playing and realised that people talked way more than I remembered and that the lulls in the "conversations" were not long enough for anything longer than a sentence, which would sound super weird, so I gave subtitles a try. I found I could settle into a nice rhythm with some one-off remarks and jokes in between conversations and longer stuff like mechanics or gameplay stuff when people finally shut up that I hope believe goes well with the natural flow of the game; I'm not sure I could have managed that doing voice commentary.

I'm also trying to not be too tone-deaf with what's happening on screen, so I try to keep quiet during more serious/sober stuff or a particularly atmospheric bit, even if noone's yapping on at the moment. That's what I'm going for at least; I'm still new at this though, so I may still be calibrating that particular sensor. Hope some of it is making it through. :shobon:

Also the sound design is fantastic and I wouldn't want to spoil it with my voice.

I'm bookmarking your post to link it when I post update 9. It's :words: incarnate. I'm still not sure how I'll handle it, but I still got some time to figure something out.

PurpleXVI posted:

That aside, I'm getting a feeling like the gameplay of Last Light is IMMENSELY improved from 2033, not to mention the level design.
I think LL is definitely more approachable, at least compared to the original 2033. By the time I played 2033 Redux I was already familiar with the series so I'm not sure how it feels to people playing it for the first time.

In LL you have the walk in the park with Anna to get you used to the gas mask and filters and fighting some mutants without seriously putting you at risk: Anna helps you with the Watchers, you have like 3 filters by the time you reach the surface and there's no way to spend 15 minutes there unless you're wasting time on purpose. Then you go into the Stealth training level in the Gulag and head off into Ranger Baby's First Encounter during Facility where you can try your hand at stealth but still murder your way our if you screw it up.
In comparison 2033's first stealth section with the Bandits (I think it was the Bandits?) can go really wrong really fast if you're not used to the stealth system or if you don't realise you don't need to murder everyone and can just sneak through some sections.

And then you get to the Bridge. The Bridge level will destroy your will to play the game if you're not careful, you get swarmed from all sides and by then you're still running with the Bastard and the Dulpet.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's to fill in the awkward silence from hanging around Artyom for any length of time. He missed his calling as an interrogator.
It always struck me as odd that Artyom doesn't speak in-game. He does have a voice, both audio and personality-wise; the chapter openings and the diary notes tell you quite a bit about his thoughts and motivations. In his own words, even. I don't think it would have been too jarring if he had a bit of banter, especially considering how you get a number of companions throughout both games who, as Purple mentioned, just won't quit talking at you.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 3, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

No, no, you've all got it backwards.

Artyom just can't get a word in lengthwise.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Edmond Dantes posted:

And when they shut up I show up. :v:

I'll be honest, I vastly prefer subtitles in most cases. Both because they get less "in the way" if it's a game with good atmosphere, and secondly because some LP'ers, despite having coherent and interesting comments to make, have grating voices or really, really bad microphones. Don't be too reverent about the atmosphere, though, it's a videogame, not a funeral.

So far, I'd definitely say that you're nailing it with most of the commentary. You're explaining the mechanics, commenting on them, etc. and when there's nothing informative to share, you're just adding a bit of funny dialogue. It works out well.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm bookmarking your post to link it when I post update 9. It's :words: incarnate. I'm still not sure how I'll handle it, but I still got some time to figure something out.

I think LL is definitely more approachable, at least compared to the original 2033. By the time I played 2033 Redux I was already familiar with the series so I'm not sure how it feels to people playing it for the first time.

It always struck me as odd that Artyom doesn't speak in-game. He does have a voice, both audio and personality-wise; the chapter openings and the diary notes tell you quite a bit about his thoughts and motivations. In his own words, even. I don't think it would have been too jarring if he had a bit of banter, especially considering how you get a number of companions throughout both games who, as Purple mentioned, just won't quit talking at you.

Artyom's voice is a bit of an interesting anomaly, to me. He sounds more Russian than all of the other voice actors, who tend to just sprinkle in some non-English words as ticks to get across that they're not from the US, but Artyom doesn't do that, yet his accent comes across as more convincingly "actually from Russia." But he's also got this weird drawl that makes it sound like he might have some crippling social awkwardness or something. Which provides the amusing option that he just went on the entire Metro 2033 adventure not because he wanted to, but because he was too socially awkward to ever say "no" to anyone's quest. Also I think it makes sense not to give Artyom a voice in-game, because too much of a personality could be kind of jarring. Like, if Artyom in-game was a blood-thirsty berserker, and the player went Solid Snake on everything, it would feel really off, and vice versa. It's a way to give the player a sense of freedom with their gameplay style.

Also, aside from the stealth and tutorial, what strikes me most about Last Light so far is that, from our brief encounters with the mutants to this point, they don't "feel" like bullet sponges. I never played 2033, disclaimer, but I watched an LP of it and the mutant encounters always looked terribly unfun just because every single one of them was a brown bullet sponge with one attack pattern, that you faced in a tunnel, and two dozen of them would come at once.

Out of curiosity I also looked up a bit of what the differences from the Metro books and the Metro game are. The two most stand-out things I notice(spoilered just in case) is that the original game and the original book are RELATIVELY close to each other(with the exception of apparently missing a cult of cannibal radioactive children), and that, apparently, no Dark Ones survived the ending of the first Metro book... even though, just like in the game, Artyom seems to know it might have been a very wrong thing to do. The second is that in the books, Anna is Artyom's wife, so I HOPE, I really HOPE, we're not going to get some painful FPS romance.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm also trying to not be too tone-deaf with what's happening on screen, so I try to keep quiet during more serious/sober stuff or a particularly atmospheric bit, even if noone's yapping on at the moment. That's what I'm going for at least; I'm still new at this though, so I may still be calibrating that particular sensor. Hope some of it is making it through. :shobon:

I think you've hit the sweet spot commentary-wise. It flows well, and feels like a natural part of the game, as in it supplements what's going on on-screen, without feeling intrusive. Good job! :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Artyom just can't get a word in lengthwise.
Hire his VA just to make him go "I think..." "But..." "I just..." and time it so the NPCs just keep interrupting him.

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't be too reverent about the atmosphere, though, it's a videogame, not a funeral.
It could be both. :colbert:

PurpleXVI posted:

if Artyom in-game was a blood-thirsty berserker, and the player went Solid Snake on everything, it would feel really off, and vice versa. It's a way to give the player a sense of freedom with their gameplay style.
Ah, the good old Niko Bellic ludonarrative dissonance; it never bothered me too much in more "open" games but yeah, it makes sense reining it in in something like an FPS.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also, aside from the stealth and tutorial, what strikes me most about Last Light so far is that, from our brief encounters with the mutants to this point, they don't "feel" like bullet sponges. I never played 2033, disclaimer, but I watched an LP of it and the mutant encounters always looked terribly unfun just because every single one of them was a brown bullet sponge with one attack pattern, that you faced in a tunnel, and two dozen of them would come at once.
Oh, absolutely. The Bridge level I keep mentioning has two big fights against a lot of Nosalises (Nosalii?) that just won't. go. down. Check this video from pannycakes' LP. At around 1:30 he gets into a fight with 2 Nosalis, it takes him 2/3 of his Bastard's clip and a shotgun blast to kill one of them while fighting alongside Bourbon. It takes 2 shotgun blasts at point blank range to kill one, and they can get 2~3 swipes in while you reload. They're a bit tougher than the Watchmen we've seen in LL so far, but I'll get into a fight with Nosalis soon enough and you can see the difference. It could be a feedback issue and not a straight up damage one, but at the very least it certainly feels like you're doing more damage to them in LL.

PurpleXVI posted:

Books stuff
That would be the Savage Cannibals of the Great Worm Cult. The factions in the books are hosed up. There are also Satanists, Krishnaites and Jehovah's Witnesses. :eng101: (I need to read the books, I have 2033 but I've been lazy with my reading lately).

Thanks both to you and inscrutable; I know there's such a thing about taking an LP too seriously but it's nice to know that I'm in the ballpark of what I'm aiming for. :D

Update will be up sometime tonight when I come back from work.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think the funniest tidbit about the books is that, supposedly, in the original draft for Metro 2033, written by the author when he was 16 or so, it's about half the length. Why? At around the halfway mark in the final book, Artyom gets plugged by a bullet, and dies, and the book just ends right there and then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you have phobias you may want to read this before checking the episode: There are giant gently caress-off Spider-Scorpion hybrids in this update. Lots of them.

Where we become Musketeers.

• Locked thread