Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Привет, товарищи! Welcome to

Metro: Last Light is the sequel to 2010' s Metro 2033. If you haven't played Metro 2033, you should check pannycakes's and ApocalypseToast's LP's. I'll be providing a short summary of the first game's events that should be enough to get you up to speed, but 2033 is a great game and you may miss out on some of the smaller details and returning characters, so I suggest you go watch them. I'll wait a bit.

All Done? Wait, what do you mean :effort:? Argh, ok, let's ask Wikipedia:

Previously, on Metro 2033 posted:

Metro 2033 is a first-person shooter developed by 4A Games and published by THQ. The story is based on Dmitry Glukhovsky's novel of the same name, and is set in the ruins of Moscow following a nuclear war, where the survivors are forced to live in underground metro tunnels. Players control Artyom, a man who must defeat an evil mutant race known as the Dark Ones.

In 2013, a nuclear war occurred. Russia was targeted with atomic bombs, causing severe radiation across Moscow. This forced the survivors to live underground in the metro stations away from the deadly effects of radiation. Many animals were heavily mutated into aggressive beasts, which made travel dangerous.

Twenty years later in 2033, the northern Metro station of VDNKh (known in-game as "Exhibition") is under attack by a group of mysterious creatures referred to as the Dark Ones. Artyom (Russian: Артём), a 20-year-old male survivor born before the bombs fell, is persuaded to leave his home there and seek help from the rest of the Metro by Hunter, an elite soldier of the Polis Rangers. Hunter gives Artyom his dog tags and tells him to present these to see if the rest of the Rangers will help his station.

Artyom must travel through territory occupied by the Stalinist 'Red Line' and a Fourth Reich, and infested with mutants as well as the much changed surface of Moscow. Once in Polis, he meets with a Ranger named Miller, who agrees to help him. Miller knows of a missile silo known as D6 that has the firepower necessary to destroy the Dark Ones. Artyom, Miller, and several other Rangers reactivate the command centre, and Artyom installs a laser guidance system on a nearby radio tower. After the laser system is installed, Artyom experiences a vivid hallucination induced by a Dark One.

After the hallucination, two endings are possible, depending on choices the player makes throughout the game. In the canonical ending, Artyom allows the missiles to fire, destroying the Dark Ones; only to realize later that they sought peace and the deaths by them were accidental. The alternate ending gives Artyom the choice to destroy the laser guidance device, citing a last-minute realization that the Dark Ones were actually attempting to make peaceful contact through the hallucinations. This ending is only available by performing various positive acts throughout the game, such as helping out fellow humans and not automatically fleeing the Dark Ones in various hallucinations.

To be quite honest, I didn't like Metro 2033 when I first played it. It had a great premise and a fantastic moody setting, but the enemies were bullet spongy as hell and came in swarms, ammo was scarce and you were likely to end up using your Military-grade ammo (the game's currency) just to shoot monsters, which ended up screwing you in the long run. There was a stealth mechanic in place that helped you get through a lot of the human-populated levels, but since the game never told you you could just stealth sections, you ended up fighting your way out. A lot of people recommended playing it in Ranger Mode, because it made bullets waaaay more lethal, which ended up having the side effect of making the game easier since you ended up saving ammo.

There was also a Karma system which influenced the game's ending, but it relied on stuff such as "play every balalaika and musical instrument in the game" asides from easier to spot decisions like not shooting the Dark One in the face, and it ended up having causing most people to miss out on the game's Good Ending, so much that the Ranger Ending -where you blow up the Dark Ones- is the canonical ending to 2033, since that's what most people got.

The Karma system makes a return in Last Light, and we'll be aiming for the Good Ending. Please note I said "aiming for"; the karma system is a bit twitchy, but since I'm planning on showing off conversations and grabbing all the notes I'm fairly confident we'll get it. I'll be explaining how it works as we run into the positive and negative karma triggers. Depending on how much backtracking I have to do I may do a bonus video showing off the different results for the major decisions in the game, and the other ending.

I got Last Light with a GFX card, installed it to give said card a test ride and ended up loving it. The game is more accessible, stealth is easier (a lot easier, bordering on cheap if you abuse it), and it looks and sounds amazing. So grab a drink, dim the lights, put on your headphones, and come explore post-nuclear Moscow with Artyom.

Why are you playing this and not Redux?
Metro Redux is a remake of both 2033 and LL in a slightly modified LL engine. As such, there really isn't much difference between the base game and Redux; if you never played either game you'll want Redux, but if you already have a copy of LL you're set. 2033 gains the most from this remake, so if you tried 2033 and found it a bit janky or too difficult you may want to give 2033 Redux a try. I will be playing the DLC missions are on the Redux version of the game, since they're not available for purchase for the base game anymore.

Update Schedule?
I'll be aiming for updating twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays most likely.

Jesus H. Christ you suck at FPSs.
That's not a question. Also, yes.

Spoilers?
Discussing 2033's events is ok, but let's keep the thread spoiler-free regarding not only the story but setpieces and locations as well. Yes, that means not even in spoiler tags.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

And not a journal per se, but here's the map to Kshatriya:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

HardDisk posted:

Nice seeing this. I liked 2033 well enough, but in the end, I liked the world of 2033 more than I liked playing it, so I didn't bother picking LL up.
I think that happened to a lot of people with 2033; it had a lot of promise but also a hell of a harsh start (particularly that collapsed bridge area) and

HardDisk posted:

Also, you might want to check in with some mod to change the thread icon. :v:
Already sent Palpek a message about it. :v:

Brownieftw posted:

So i hear I ruined a recording session, edmond. I might have to watch now :D.
My fault for not putting Steam in Offline mode. It was a short level, luckily.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TomViolence posted:

Great, now I have to reinstall the game and play it myself. :argh:
:getin:

Apep727 posted:

I thought that the bad ending was canon because that's how the book ended.
I've heard it both ways, with the more common version being "what most people got, that happened to coincide with the book". I'm not entirely sure you can get the good ending without going at least a bit out of your way to get those karma points, so it may have been the intended ending.

Apep727 posted:

Anyway, since I took Russian back in college, I can't help but go, "that's not how 'Sparta' should be spelled." I have to wonder why they made that decision. I'm also wondering what the in-game reason is for stuff being written in both Russian and English (the big map, signs, etc.).

Well, I'm looking forward to more. I watched a bit of a play-through a while back, but I never got through the end.
My Russian knowledge is limited to Google translate, so feel free to point out any fun/interesting bits you happen to catch.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Good to see a thread for this game. I finished it on Ranger difficulty recently and there's a few cool things about Ranger mode I'd like to point out when you get further into the game.
Please do! I've read about the differences, but since I never actually played Ranger Mode any input from someone who did play it will be appreciated.

Ragequit posted:

With your FPS skills, Artyom's survival chances look as bleak as the wasteland you'll be playing in. Should be a fun ride!
It's even worse; this being a single player game means I can't use my horrible ping as an excuse. All that lack of skill? All me, baby!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There's going to be bit of Russian thrown around when we meet a new character in Episode 03, so feel free to explain what the hell he's saying when we get to that point.

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm going to just throw this out there and admit I liked the armor system in vanilla 2033. Less so when I hosed up stealth kills by missing a dude's neck with my throwing knife, but it was interesting to me.

I don't think I ever made it to human enemies in the original 2033. I remember scrambling for ammo during the first big fight against a group of Nosalis on the bridge and having a hell of a time when you need to hold your ground with Bourbon at the entrance to Market because the bloody things just wouldn't die.

Knives in Last Light are... Well, let's just say we'll be seeing them in action in episode 3; I don't want to spoil the surprise.

resurgam40 posted:

But yeah, I played through these games once, and again when the remastered versions came out. All in all I preferred the controls for the second over the first as I had more fun with it. But it's a really great series I find, with a really juicy, well done atmosphere... Playing videogames, I've never felt quite so al;one in a world that hates me as when the good old Russians were at the helm! :v:
The atmosphere is great in both games, but it's just breathtaking in LL. 2033 has some great locations -like the Library-, but the first time you go outside in LL is just amazing.
I played a bit of the original 2033 but never finished it, watched an LP, loved Last Light which led me to getting 2033 Redux. I liked Redux much better than base 2033, I think the changes going into LL (which went "back" to 2033 Redux) made the game much more accesible.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 18, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The forums getting ddos'd gave me an excuse to play some more, so it's :siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we take a walk through Moscow with Anna and observe the local fauna.

Journal entries for this update:

Xander77 posted:

I believe the original Metro shared a problem with STALKER (which makes sense, since the two games were mostly made by the same people): enemies get more and more bullet spongy the lower the difficulty is.

So... you select your guns and use them in the firing range without breathing typing a single word of explanation?
Makes sense, especially if they were using bullet damage as the variable instead of enemy health, which is what happens in Ranger Mode and why some people found it easier: since global bullet damage is through the roof everyone is a glass cannon, but it ends up working to your advantage in the end, even with the low bullet drop rate.

I didn't comment on the guns since there was already the Quartermaster's explanation going on and on-screen text saying... pretty much what I would have said since they're standard fare FPS weapons (for now). I try to avoid putting subtitles when there's already text being displayed; I have a bit more leeway when it's subtitles or when there's background dialogue but I still don't like doing it. I do comment on guns as I use them, so you'll see a bit of that in this episode.

Alexeythegreat posted:

If this were an LP of Metro 2033, I'd help out with language, but I haven't beaten that one myself yet, and don't want to spoil it for myself, so, unfortunately, WELP
Well, you have until next update to go and finish 2033, so get cracking mister! :colbert:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 26, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ranger Mode is a special difficulty that is available as DLC in both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light.

While they're both DLC, Ranger Mode for 2033 was released for free on Steam (it was paid on the 360), but actually cost $5 for Last Light. You could get it "for free" if you got the Special Edition but, needless to say, a lot of people got angry at this, especially considering the developers went on record [citation needed] somewhere saying that Ranger Mode was "the way the game was meant to be played".

SardonicTyrant posted:

The only real downside is that, since there are no longer any prompts, you can sometimes miss ammo pickups, currency, a boss QTE :shepicide:, and so on.

You know, I'm still not sure if instead of actually deciding and programming which prompts should stay on-screen and which should be hidden, they just disabled the whole overlay for Hardcore and called it a day.
It would certainly explain things like the spoiler you mention, which would be a staggeringly dumb design decision otherwise -even considering the "immersive" nature of Ranger Hardcore- and It would also explain why even though Metro: Last Light itself has been delisted (you can only get the Redux editions now), you can still get the rest of its DLC on Steam... but not Ranger Mode. Trying to access the store through the game menu just redirects you to Steam's main store page.

Next update will be up sometime on Wednesday; the game's chapters are fairly similar in length at around 20-25 mins, so after getting more comfortable with the whole LP process and having something that kinda resembles a workflow I'm fairly confident I can update twice a week.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we lose our quarry, but gain a comrade.

And here's a bit of dialogue that may have gone by too fast I missed in the video:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

You get to recover the weapons you took from the Sparta armory at the end of Pavel (next to the gate that leads to the Nazi rally)

In other news, knives are a one-hit kill against unaware mutant enemies as well.
On normal mode you only get a bit of ammo near the gate:

And here are a couple medkits I missed on the left side:

Also yeah, knives are OP as hell; I was gonna mention it works on mutants after killing one from halfway across a level. :v:

Xander77 posted:

Pavel actually has a speech about how Hitler made the trains run on time maybe there's a point to keeping the Metro free of the mutant menace (by killing everyone with the wrong skull bumps)
I had a hell of a time trying to capture that dialogue, it would only trigger when I neared the gate, and then would immediately get cut off by Pavel telling me about the gate controls. :argh:
Here's the full thing (I included it on the update post as well):

Dooky Dingo posted:

When you keep touching those giant burning bulbs with your bare hands... :staredog:
Artyom has the calloused hands of a true worker. :ussr:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, that's a bit more approving in the Russian version.
Yeeeesh. I wonder if it was lost in translation or if it was toned down on purpose.

Samovar posted:

Edit: What is Khan talking to Alex about in the first video, before you interrupt them?
Khan: "So, you're an expert on Hell and its denizens? At last! Someone with a common interest! We should talk! The last 500 years have been so boring..."
The soldier doesn't actually have lines at this point, if you walk up to them you get that bit with Uhlman going "Pay no attention to this clown, Alex. Open the gates!" you saw on the video.

Regarding women in the game... I'm not gonna argue with you there. While some things do make a certain sense in-universe (which we'll see in a few videos), some other stuff could definitely have been handled better.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SardonicTyrant posted:

Oh, but that reminds me of another "no hud" problem: Ranger Hardcore removes the subweapon menu, so the only way to tell if you're switching from, say, knives to grenades is by the (very) faint sound each subweapon makes when selected.

No, this never got me killed multiple times, why do you ask? :shepicide:

So it actually brings up the menu but you can't see it? This reinforces my "they just disabled the whole HUD" theory, that's beyond dumb. :psyduck:

Xander77 posted:

I don't think the game even tells you how to use the subweapon menu on regular mode, so good luck if your first playthrough is in Ranger Hardcore. The weird part is that the original Metro 2033 was a lot smarter about that - you just pressed different buttons to switch to knives / grenades etc, and the switch was visible. Removed in Metro 2033 Redux, because the developers don't really give a poo poo about obvious playerbase consensus.

You get a lonely "Press TAB to switch secondary weapons" when you pick up your first grenade in chapter... 6 or 7, but that's about it. What's super lovely is that there's no way of switching throwables outside of said menu so I'll have to get creative during firefights, become a Master of Editing, or hope the game remembers which subweapon I had selected when I entered a checkpoint. :suicide:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

Well, I really like Pavel; though I do wish I knew the exact translations for his little exclamations. But that does lead me to what I find... not so great about this game.

Now, I don't want to sound like a whiner - this is a pretty good game, but one thing that really stuck for me was the English V.A.s; besides from Pavel, there all very... well, not very good - they don't feel natural, they don't convey the feeling of resigned dread that they conveyed in the first game.

Also, the watch and the stealth mechanic. I don't like the digital display - it feels too high-tech. In the first game it was a wind-up mechanism which felt really slap-dash, and thus appropriate for the setting. Also, while the stealth mechanics are much more streamlined, I do feel they were simplified way too much in this game. I didn't feel that stealthy and non-violent was 'hard'. Also, the knives are stupidly over-powered.

Finally, it's obvious why Anna calls you rabbit; she's seen your avatar.
It's a crying shame that they didn't bother subtitling all dialogue in the game instead of just the "important" ones; I remember trying to play 2033 in Russian for the Real Post-Apocalyptic experience but felt like I was missing out on most of the conversations.

Same happens in LL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pyw2CTc22I

Xander77 posted:

I... don't quite follow.
Oh, that wasn't a complaint against the game -though they could have bound that to the mousewheel- but rather fretting about my options for handling it in the LP: I'd rather not bring up the menu in the videos other than to explain it when the game mentions it since it breaks the flow something awful (even worse in the middle of a firefight), so I either not switch throwables mid-video, or find a way to edit the menu out when doing so.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mein Gott, looks like it's :siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we mingle with the locals and partake in a bit of exercise.

This is (quite) a short update to tide us over until next one is up. After this I will be trying to stick to twice-a-week a schedule, which will probably be Mondays and Fridays.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Something I just noticed in the Pavel video. It doesn't seem like you looted the ammo from enemy guns, just their bodies. You can swipe the ammo from guns without picking them up.
That was what I was trying to do at the end of Pavel, and why I ended up with 3 Bastards. I don't know if it's a bug or what, but the only way I've found of picking up ammo from guns is to cycle them with one from my inventory; I googled a bit and some people mention that just tapping E instead of holding will pick up ammo, but it does nothing when I press it. :shrug:

Xander77 posted:

Alternately, learn to speak Albanian Russian.
And try to learn one of the (if not the) hardest languages in the world? miss out on audience participation? Never! :v:

Episodes 06-08 will feature Pavel calling us all kinds of words in Russian, so you guys will get a chance to make the rest of us feel not so left out.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 8, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

Also, wow, good job Spartans, keeping your secrets intact, as one of the biggest and scariest factions in the Metro found out about it and have already started hypothesizing about what's in there. Someone ought to be fired.

In their defence, it probably became obvious to everyone something was up when we suddenly launched a missile barrage at the Dark Ones' nest at the end of 2033. :v:

Samovar posted:

Edit: In the books the Reich is located in three central stations on the Chekhovskaya, Pushkinskaya and Tverskaya lines. If I had to guess, the C is an abbreviated anglicisation of tsentral'nyy (центральный, if Google hasn't betrayed me), but they realised too late that people without knowledge of the Moscow underground probably wouldn't get that.

Oddly enough, the books have a perfectly reasonable quasi-swastika design for the Nazis that also signifies the troika stations. I don't know why they didn't use it.

Yeah, they had a combination of the "classic" swastika and a triskelion of sorts; here you can see the station layout Samovar mentions (and D6 off the grid since it's Metro-2):

And here's a closer look at the "C" Apep727 mentions and the Swastriskelion from the 2033 beta:

This is what I could find about the "C", but [citation needed]:

quote:

"The Nazi faction's symbol is a big "C" instead of any actual Third Reich-related imagery. This C is the Moscow Metro sign for stop/no entry, symbolizing the Nazis' attempts at getting rid of all ethnic groups other than their own."

Also, unrelated but:

Samovar posted:

Finally, it's obvious why Anna calls you rabbit; she's seen your avatar.
How the hell did I miss out on making that joke. Blya. :negative:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Sound cue. Sound queue is something else entirely.

Argh, I completely missed that. Thanks for the spot and sorry all for the mistake.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 26, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: We're back! :siren: (sorry about that! :sweatdrop:)

Where we meet a ventriloquist and learn about tails.

There's a bit of dialogue if you follow the two soldiers, but since 2 minutes of crouch-walking for a line of dialogue didn't make for exciting footage, here it is:

We now have custom thumbnails on the videos! :toot:

Montalvo posted:

Really enjoying this LP!
:D

Xander77 posted:

That's the problem with ingrained subtitles. (In addition to subs at the top of the video being covered by the title every time you pause / fast forward)
Oh, and you may want to check out the "Shadow Ranger" speedrun (spoilers, obviously) if you want to see more examples of this game's brilliant :downs:STEALTH!:downs: system at work.
Yeah, having to reencode is kind of annoying, but unfortunately YT's subtitle support is closer to closed captioning so you get the ugly black box behind the text and you can't do anything even remotely decently looking.

I'll check the speedrun out, thanks!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

Obviously Pavel had to keep repeating that one line at the start. He was going on about a revolution.

Edit: I also remember a playthrough trailer which had this level, but with a very different weapon...
Pavel was trying to lead by example, but the subtlety went right over Artyom's head.

We'll be getting the weapon you mention, but it's not going to be showing up until we're about 2/3 into the game unfortunately. :(

Xander77 posted:

Forgot to link. Spoilers for anyone watching along at home.
Should have known it would be prenatual. That dude is utterly insane, he does high level stealth game runs while severely handicapping himself. This way you get stuff like a Dishonoured run without using blink or gear, a 100% loot, no suspicion, no KO Thief run, or a "Perfect Stealth" run for MGS5 which involves not leaving a single trace of your presence in an area. He ends up pulling some :psyduck: stuff.
If any of you have a slight interest in stealth games, I recommend you check his channel (sans the Last Light videos, of course :colbert:).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Sale alert! :siren:

Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux are on sale at Indiegala (they activate on Steam) for 5 bucks each.

The Bundle is not discounted, unfortunately. It usually goes for $7.50 in Steam sales so this is a bit more expensive, but it's a great deal anyway.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Are you going to play through the DLC campaigns? If you don't have them, now's your chance to grab the complete Redux version.

I never got the DLC (I actually thought they had stopped selling it for the base game since Steam just redirects you to the main page) and since there's so little difference between LL and Redux's engines, I never considered getting Redux, even for the extra missions.

At our current rate of 2 videos a week it's going to take us until late December to finish the main game, so we can see what the interest is in seeing the DLC as we go along; I can see about getting Redux during the winter sale if people still want to see more Metro by then.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we return a favour.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I would like to see you play the Redux version and go Ranger Easy mode, because then you can start the game with the Azbats and go :black101: through the entire game.
Murder Ranger playthrough could be a fun bonus video. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

There's a fairly good modified Bastard in the room to the right, just before you pass through this door:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYz10Fyoag&t=494s

Also a modified Tikhar in the lockers as you go down the stairs to the well illuminated room. Makes for a solid improvement over Bastards and Ashots.
I saw the Bastard in one of my test runs, but since I was sneaking around and not using guns it completely slipped my mind when I recorded. I totally missed that Tikhar, though :(. I'll probably do a video at some point going Murder Ranger to show off some of the guns that won't be seeing much use during my regular play.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Huh... I don't remember ever seeing that toilet.

What Pavel is singing as the nazis prepare him for execution is, of course, the Internationale.
It would have completely escaped my attention if not for the guard coughing. It's easy to get tunnel vision while sneaking and missing stuff because you just didn't see it in the darkness.

Nice catch with The Internationale; I realised it wasn't the Russian anthem but wouldn't have placed it beyond that.

Apep727 posted:

I noticed something in this video - your watch actually works. The time actually changes as you play. I'm not sure if it's in real-time, but the time does change. It also jumped back about an hour when you walked into the freezer or whatever that room was with the guy huddled on the ground, but still, that's another neat little detail.
Well spotted! I was wondering if anyone would notice that. :D

The watch is actually displaying irl time whenever you're not using the gas mask. I usually try and record everything in one go, but it starts getting trickier as the game progresses so sometimes I end with 2 or 3 videos for a same level; the time jumps you see in game are where I cut the video to join the various takes.

This particular video has 4 cuts:
-The one you spotted when walking into the fridge, since I re-recorded the start of the level to grab that conversation upstairs.
-An easy to spot one wen I drop down into the sewers the second time.
-Throwing the lever to open the gate at the end of the level takes me a bit under 7 hours. :v:
-There's one final cut during the cutscene when artyom is crawling up behind the guards at the execution.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dooky Dingo posted:

If you knock out that guard who is inspecting the grate and he slips into the water, does he drown? If so, does that ruin your no-kill run?

Pretty sure it doesn't, that's footage from my first time through the level doing full stealth where I got the achievement for it.

I may have gotten super lucky with his ragdoll when I knocked him out, since his head is above water:

But after some googling I didn't find anyone whining about their missing cheevo for knocking a dude out who then dies on his own a la Deus Ex or Dishonoured, so they probably just didn't program the water in those pipes to be a hazard.

"[b posted:

subway masturbator[/b]" post="464849077"]
I'm really enjoying the LP so far!

You are, aren't you? :catstare:

:3: thanks

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Or is it Sputnik posted:

if you accidentaly shoot, stab or blow up someone in your no-kill run, your savefile is now corrupt and you have to start a new game to get the achievement. Reloading a checkpoint is not enough. Fun!

Then we won't be seeing that achievement pop up, I've been doing a lot of murderin' on my practise runs. :v:

Samovar posted:

That scene with Pavel at the end was where I lost the pacifist run.

Fun Fact: You can get the pacifist achievement for that level and still murder the two guards with Pavel, the achievement actually pops up when you're crawling through the back:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Not only is this kind of a Half-Life game, it's also a far better Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 was.

I'm really digging the LP so far.
Yeah, the whole setting is amazing; I particularly love the Siberian wasteland thing going on, though it feels like LL takes place closer to spring/autumn compared to 2033 where everything was iced over.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride! :D

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PurpleXVI posted:

Does anyone in this game ever stop talking? :v: It feels like anyone that Artyom follows, or who follows Artyom, for more than a couple of steps, just can't shut their mouth. First Anna, then Pavel.
And when they shut up I show up. :v:

I was originally planning to make this a voiced LP, thinking I'd have to time any commentary as not to talk over dialogue, but I began playing and realised that people talked way more than I remembered and that the lulls in the "conversations" were not long enough for anything longer than a sentence, which would sound super weird, so I gave subtitles a try. I found I could settle into a nice rhythm with some one-off remarks and jokes in between conversations and longer stuff like mechanics or gameplay stuff when people finally shut up that I hope believe goes well with the natural flow of the game; I'm not sure I could have managed that doing voice commentary.

I'm also trying to not be too tone-deaf with what's happening on screen, so I try to keep quiet during more serious/sober stuff or a particularly atmospheric bit, even if noone's yapping on at the moment. That's what I'm going for at least; I'm still new at this though, so I may still be calibrating that particular sensor. Hope some of it is making it through. :shobon:

Also the sound design is fantastic and I wouldn't want to spoil it with my voice.

I'm bookmarking your post to link it when I post update 9. It's :words: incarnate. I'm still not sure how I'll handle it, but I still got some time to figure something out.

PurpleXVI posted:

That aside, I'm getting a feeling like the gameplay of Last Light is IMMENSELY improved from 2033, not to mention the level design.
I think LL is definitely more approachable, at least compared to the original 2033. By the time I played 2033 Redux I was already familiar with the series so I'm not sure how it feels to people playing it for the first time.

In LL you have the walk in the park with Anna to get you used to the gas mask and filters and fighting some mutants without seriously putting you at risk: Anna helps you with the Watchers, you have like 3 filters by the time you reach the surface and there's no way to spend 15 minutes there unless you're wasting time on purpose. Then you go into the Stealth training level in the Gulag and head off into Ranger Baby's First Encounter during Facility where you can try your hand at stealth but still murder your way our if you screw it up.
In comparison 2033's first stealth section with the Bandits (I think it was the Bandits?) can go really wrong really fast if you're not used to the stealth system or if you don't realise you don't need to murder everyone and can just sneak through some sections.

And then you get to the Bridge. The Bridge level will destroy your will to play the game if you're not careful, you get swarmed from all sides and by then you're still running with the Bastard and the Dulpet.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's to fill in the awkward silence from hanging around Artyom for any length of time. He missed his calling as an interrogator.
It always struck me as odd that Artyom doesn't speak in-game. He does have a voice, both audio and personality-wise; the chapter openings and the diary notes tell you quite a bit about his thoughts and motivations. In his own words, even. I don't think it would have been too jarring if he had a bit of banter, especially considering how you get a number of companions throughout both games who, as Purple mentioned, just won't quit talking at you.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 3, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Artyom just can't get a word in lengthwise.
Hire his VA just to make him go "I think..." "But..." "I just..." and time it so the NPCs just keep interrupting him.

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't be too reverent about the atmosphere, though, it's a videogame, not a funeral.
It could be both. :colbert:

PurpleXVI posted:

if Artyom in-game was a blood-thirsty berserker, and the player went Solid Snake on everything, it would feel really off, and vice versa. It's a way to give the player a sense of freedom with their gameplay style.
Ah, the good old Niko Bellic ludonarrative dissonance; it never bothered me too much in more "open" games but yeah, it makes sense reining it in in something like an FPS.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also, aside from the stealth and tutorial, what strikes me most about Last Light so far is that, from our brief encounters with the mutants to this point, they don't "feel" like bullet sponges. I never played 2033, disclaimer, but I watched an LP of it and the mutant encounters always looked terribly unfun just because every single one of them was a brown bullet sponge with one attack pattern, that you faced in a tunnel, and two dozen of them would come at once.
Oh, absolutely. The Bridge level I keep mentioning has two big fights against a lot of Nosalises (Nosalii?) that just won't. go. down. Check this video from pannycakes' LP. At around 1:30 he gets into a fight with 2 Nosalis, it takes him 2/3 of his Bastard's clip and a shotgun blast to kill one of them while fighting alongside Bourbon. It takes 2 shotgun blasts at point blank range to kill one, and they can get 2~3 swipes in while you reload. They're a bit tougher than the Watchmen we've seen in LL so far, but I'll get into a fight with Nosalis soon enough and you can see the difference. It could be a feedback issue and not a straight up damage one, but at the very least it certainly feels like you're doing more damage to them in LL.

PurpleXVI posted:

Books stuff
That would be the Savage Cannibals of the Great Worm Cult. The factions in the books are hosed up. There are also Satanists, Krishnaites and Jehovah's Witnesses. :eng101: (I need to read the books, I have 2033 but I've been lazy with my reading lately).

Thanks both to you and inscrutable; I know there's such a thing about taking an LP too seriously but it's nice to know that I'm in the ballpark of what I'm aiming for. :D

Update will be up sometime tonight when I come back from work.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you have phobias you may want to read this before checking the episode: There are giant gently caress-off Spider-Scorpion hybrids in this update. Lots of them.

Where we become Musketeers.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bman in 2288 posted:

At least they aren't librarians.

Wait until we get to the Spiderbug Librarian. :unsmigghh:

Sorry, just kidding. Or am I?

resurgam40 posted:

And Artyom is no help at all with his goddamn theories that these critters were always beneath the earth and got woken up by the Apocalypse, why the hell would you write that in your diary now?
Some of the notes are great, if you guys haven't been reading them I suggest you do; the first one is always the level intro and some are just fluff text, but you can get little gems like this one.

PurpleXVI posted:

The subtitles need the occasional Translator's Note for some of these words because otherwise they're just gonna keep making me wonder. Pavel's using it like it's a friendly term, but it sounds like it should be a slur.
We had a few folks commenting on some of the earlier dialogue/writing on the wall (literally) so I was thinking on leaving it to audience participation; I'm not sure if it'd flow well in-game; I'll test it a bit on an update I'm working on, but maybe we could make a quick list and throw it on the OP or a "learn Russian with Pavel" update. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 4, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I've gotta say, I'm enjoying the Three Musketeers references from Pavel, considering your username.

Oh, believe you me I'll have something to say about it a (near) future update.

I never did read the sequels though, I could never find them over here. For a long time you couldn't get Dumas' books here; It took me a long time to find a copy of The Count of Montecristo and when I finally did the translation was abysmal. Years later I was chatting with my French teacher about the book and its horrible translation and she recommended a particular edition she knew had a fantastic French/Spanish translator and I actually had to go to the publisher because it had been out of print for a while. And then last year I visited the states and got the Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics edition because look at it, it's so loving pretty. so I currently have 3 editions of the book in 2 languages.

Why yes, The Count of Montecristo is my favourite book, why do you ask? :colbert:

I should see about grabbing the other two Musketeers novels on my Kindle; as Pavel mentions the first one is kind of a clusterfuck but it's all kinds of fun.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Apep727 posted:

This might make me a bit unpopular, but I didn't really care for The Three Musketeers.

I was a bit disappointed in Musketeers since I read it after Montecristo but, as you say, the action was good enough to keep me entertained. It wasn't one of those books I have to power through just to get them over with.

Samovar posted:

It's not Dumas, but I always liked Les Miserables myself.
Haven't read Les Mis; from everything I've read about it it seems to be one hell of a downer so I've been kind of avoiding it.

Samovar posted:

Actually, on the subject of Dumas, his father was one hell of an interesting dude.

Seriously, just look at this dude:

During the battles in Italy, Austrian troops nicknamed Dumas as the Schwarzer Teufel ("Black Devil," Diable Noir in French). The French – notably Napoleon – nicknamed him "the Horatius Cocles of the Tyrol" (after a hero who had saved ancient Rome) for single-handedly defeating a squadron of enemy troops at a bridge over the Eisack River in Clausen (today Klausen, or Chiusa, Italy).

It's a hell of a read.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you have phobias you may want to read this before checking the episode: We're back to the small spiders in the cobwebs, but there's a bit of a jumpscare involving one at 5:46 when I turn the corpse over. Skip to 5:55.

Where weird things happen.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

You missed the ice-cream secret.

Indeed I did. I checked the right side under the stairs on my test run but not the left. :(

Right before heading up the stairs, you can go behind the ice-cream freezer to find a safe with MGR, a filter and a few bullets:

Apparently these are locked in Redux, and you have to find a key?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had to redo the entrance to Facility 3 times because the first soldier I shot would finish his current animation and then idle for 3 or 4 seconds before collapsing suddenly. :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit that the supernatural stuff in the Metro games feels a bit, eh, lame. Just the most generic hauntings imaginable.

Apep727 posted:

Personally, I kind of like them. Yeah, they're especially innovative, but given that the setting is an otherwise straight-forward post-apocalyptic scenario, they add a bit of extra flavor. It's an extra bit of weirdness that can't be explained away.
I like the subtler ones that are less "something moves/flashes suddenly" and more the ones that you catch for a split second and leave you feeling that something's quite not right. Sometimes you get an "obvious" one like the phone that masks another watch the shadows when the lightning strikes after the phone drops.

I really liked the cockpit flashback if not so much the flashes in the cabin, the moment the missiles launch is fantastic.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There will be better spooky stuff coming, I promise. For those of you who missed it (and didn't read my spoiler a bit up :v:), go rewatch the phone sequence and pay attention to the walls when lightning strikes.

HardDiskD posted:

Artyom and Pavel didn't close the doors to the spiderbugs on their way out. :ohdear:

The Watchmen are up there.

Let them fight.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we go to the theatre.

Alright, this one's long and :words: as gently caress. I keep my mouth shut during conversations even when they don't have subtitles and I disappear altogether during a later part, so it'll be light on commentary during some parts.
I apologise for any overlapping in the not subtitled conversations, the crier in particular is especially annoying since he walks up and down the level screwing my recording and as I mentioned during Pavel some conversation triggers (as far as I've been able to make out) are time based and some depend on position; I went through the level a bunch of times but never managed to get a completely clean recording.

Anyone up for a bit of translation? This is the sign near the drunk guy at the beginning:

There's one stand I didn't go to in the market, near the weapons seller; it sells meat:

And finally, this bit of dialogue if you stick to Pavel at the beginning instead of stopping at every conversation:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I'd say that was a fantastic scene, but all of Mad Max is just utterly amazing.

Thanks for the translations! I wonder what the make bread out of in the Metro.

Samovar posted:

Edit: I guess Stanislavski is a reference to Constantine Stanislavski? It would make sense.
That one went right over my head, so if anyone wants to shed some light on it, be my guest.

Samovar posted:

Edit edit: I like how the one dancer on the far left is not in time.

bman in 2288 posted:

Like the beggar said, the Bolshoi is poo poo now, filled with people who don't know art or improvement.
Yeah, but also as he said: we need culture, and I like people having some sort of attempt at entertainment, even if they're all amateurs now.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

Russia has a really rich cultural landscape to draw from

I was going to bring something up when Xander mentioned Pushkin a few updates ago and completely forgot: I'm totally guilty of eschewing 'The Classics' and more serious stuff in favour of fantasy. Not that there's anything wrong with genre fiction per se; we can't be reading super serious stuff 24/7 but

I've been trying to alternate between fiction and more historical stuff/classics, but I made the mistake of trying to force myself to read some 'local' stuff first and realised how much I loving hate Tales From Colonialist Latin America (Marquez, Allende, Vargas Llosa) so the lovely genre fiction ended up winning most of the time :shobon:

Russian literature is on my "to read" list, but most of what usually comes up when discussing it seems so... bleak (I may be completely mistaken about this so feel free to shout at me) I have Lolita lined up for my next foray but If you or Xander want to recommend some stuff I'd be more than glad to take a look.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we lose a friend, but pick up a scent.

A short one this time, but still quite talky.

Thank you for all the book recommendations, I'll see about giving them a try!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bman in 2288 posted:

That's neat, I played through this game a couple of times, but I never realized until now that Artyom's mother died to a swarm of mutant rats. Another thing, those guys are wearing the same kind of uniform Anna was wearing at the beginning of the game.

Artyom's entire station was wiped out by the rats (not really a spoiler, it's like page 3 of the first book):

Metro 2033 Novel posted:

He didn’t remember his father at all. His mother had been with him until he was five years old. They lived at Timiryazevskaya. Things had been good, and life had gone smoothly and peacefully, until Timiryazevskaya fell victim to a rat infestation.
One day, huge, grey, wet rats poured from one of the tunnels on the dark side of the station without any warning. It was a tunnel that plunged off to the side, a disregarded branch of the primary northern leg, which descended to great depths, only to become lost in the complex network of hundreds of corridors - freezing, stinking labyrinths of horror. The tunnel stretched into the kingdom of rats, where even the most hopeless adventurer wouldn’t dare to go. Even a wanderer who was lost and couldn’t find his way using underground maps and paths, would stop at this threshold, sensing instinctively the black and sinister danger emerging from it, and would have rushed away from the gaping crevasse of that entrance as though from the gates of a plague-infested city.
No one bothered the rats. No one descended into their dominions. No one dared to violate their borders.

You don't gently caress with the rats in the Metro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Irony burned alongside Moscow.

• Locked thread