Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I want to bring up something about the mechanics of the first game: the bullet sponge issue with the enemies. It has to do with the way Metro 2033 calculated damage. In that game, all articles of clothing and each individual piece of armor contributed to an enemy's defense. Fortunately for the developers, the mechanic worked. Unfortunately for the developers, the mechanic really worked. More likely than not, the enemy would be wearing helmets, and those blocked a lot of headshot damage. In fact, you'd be more lethal if you aimed for the neck, inside of stealth or in open firefights, because no one has armored collars.

Necks are really small targets, by the way.

One of the best (overall) improvements Redux adds is the overall removal of the armor mechanic, allowing enemies to not be bullet sponges.

I'm going to just throw this out there and admit I liked the armor system in vanilla 2033. Less so when I hosed up stealth kills by missing a dude's neck with my throwing knife, but it was interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Anna is mocking him for being a quiet, little creature that runs around a lot and seems generally harmless.

We know Artyom isn't harmless, but she hasn't seen him in action yet. And he basically got fast-tracked into bring a Spartan instead of spending grueling years training for it, so a lot of people believe that he might not have what it takes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Apep727 posted:

I noticed something in this video - your watch actually works. The time actually changes as you play. I'm not sure if it's in real-time, but the time does change. It also jumped back about an hour when you walked into the freezer or whatever that room was with the guy huddled on the ground, but still, that's another neat little detail.

It's real time. Actual real time. Same as last game, only digital this time.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
At least they aren't librarians.

And that I don't have a phobia of these dudes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The music that plays during the plane crash, it's from the first Metro game, and it's so good. I've been trying to find it for a while, but still haven't yet.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

Artyom and Pavel didn't close the doors to the spiderbugs on their way out. :ohdear:

Not many places for those things to hide from sunlight on the surface, if that comforts you.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Edit edit: I like how the one dancer on the far left is not in time.

Like the beggar said, the Bolshoi is poo poo now, filled with people who don't know art or improvement.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
That's neat, I played through this game a couple of times, but I never realized until now that Artyom's mother died to a swarm of mutant rats. Another thing, those guys are wearing the same kind of uniform Anna was wearing at the beginning of the game.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Never read the books.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I remember bringing the Abzats with me, in the last game, through the library.

I remember being thankful that I didn't really use my shotgun shells that often before that level.

I remember being thankful that the last game didn't have an arbitrary max ammo capacity.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Librarians were actually very easy to kill in the original (on harder difficulties at least). One thing the Redux version does right is pretty much force you to stare them down or flee - you certainly don't have the ammo to kill them all.

I played on normal, and there were quite a number of Librarians that I really should have been able to sneak past, that the game wouldn't allow me to. Not to mention, I always screwed up running away from the ones I was supposed to, so out comes the auto-shotgun to prevent me from dying horribly and repeatedly.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Still appreciate how you can manage to get through the spider sections and not have the subtitles "AAAAAAAAAAAA". The ghosts are a notable second-place in terms of "AAAAAAAAAAAA"-inducing creepiness.

Something else I want to say, that sniper rifle that you looked at earlier; I always want to use it, but I never get around to doing so. You may get around to talking about it, so I'll hold my tongue.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
One big nitpick I have with the game, and especially pronounced here:

You get the night-vision goggles way too late in the game, when it stops being as useful.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Really? Those are some nice strippers, then.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Full stealth through this level can be tricky. But one advantage that the pneumatic weapons have over the gunpowder ones is that they (or at least the Ball Bearing gun) do more base damage per shot than the other guns, so long as they're overpumped.

In regards to the video, what the Reds are doing is pretty lovely and I don't see how they can honestly justify it.

loving communists, man.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Edmond, I think you mistook a Saiga for a Kalash in the Depot video just past the 9 min mark. It's strikingly similar but it makes more sense for a heavy guard to have an automatic shotgun than an assault rifle.

Correct, we are missing out on auto shotgun goodness. At least twice now, if my counts are correct.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Do they ever give the name for the Fuhrer? Looks like a Kyle to me. Would make sense, anyway - whenever anyone would ask to meet the head honcho, all the Reich guys would say 'See Kyle!'

Sorry.

No, you've got a point. Totally looks like a Kyle to me, now that I think about it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
It's a good thing that I only hate spiders, and am not afraid of them.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fire is also hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Who was that guy, Frank Miller? I couldn't get past a minute of that rant.

Fun episode, though I expected more gangster blood spilt.

• Locked thread