Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I thought that the bad ending was canon because that's how the book ended.

Anyway, since I took Russian back in college, I can't help but go, "that's not how 'Sparta' should be spelled." I have to wonder why they made that decision. I'm also wondering what the in-game reason is for stuff being written in both Russian and English (the big map, signs, etc.).

Well, I'm looking forward to more. I watched a bit of a play-through a while back, but I never got through the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I love how the designers got around the issues of conveying certain information without using a hud. How much ammo do you have? Just look at your magazine. How much time do you have on your gas mask filter? Check your watch. What's your objective, and where is it? Pull out your notebook.

I also love some of the minor mechanics they included, like charging your flashlight or wiping crud off your mask. They're not really important, gameplay-wise, but I think it shows how much the designers cared about making the game as realistic as possible.

Also, what's up with the "rabbit" thing? Is it a Russian thing, a ranger thing, what?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I want to point something out, and this is probably the best chance to do it - the insignia for the Reich (the stylized R) is different from what it was in the first game (the C symbol, which you can see on the flags during the big speech). I have to wonder why it got changed, both in-game and out-of-game.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I noticed something in this video - your watch actually works. The time actually changes as you play. I'm not sure if it's in real-time, but the time does change. It also jumped back about an hour when you walked into the freezer or whatever that room was with the guy huddled on the ground, but still, that's another neat little detail.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Edmond Dantes posted:

The watch is actually displaying irl time whenever you're not using the gas mask.

Okay, that's even cooler than I thought. I'd expected it to be the time in-game, like that there might be some kind of official time-line.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm just wondering what "chuvak" means now. :v: The subtitles need the occasional Translator's Note for some of these words because otherwise they're just gonna keep making me wonder. Pavel's using it like it's a friendly term, but it sounds like it should be a slur.

Urban Dictionary says it's basically the Russian equivalent of "dude".

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
This might make me a bit unpopular, but I didn't really care for The Three Musketeers. Yes, the action is good, but I kept running into the problem of the protagonists all being assholes of one kind or another. I don't need the heroes of a novel to be paragons of virtue, but it'd be nice if they get called out on their poo poo (or at least aren't presented as paragons of virtue).

I got so mad at the book that I actually decided to basically rewrite it from Rochefort's POV.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit that the supernatural stuff in the Metro games feels a bit, eh, lame. Just the most generic hauntings imaginable.

Personally, I kind of like them. Yeah, they're especially innovative, but given that the setting is an otherwise straight-forward post-apocalyptic scenario, they add a bit of extra flavor. It's an extra bit of weirdness that can't be explained away.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like the subtler ones that are less "something moves/flashes suddenly" and more the ones that you catch for a split second and leave you feeling that something's quite not right. Sometimes you get an "obvious" one like the phone that masks another watch the shadows when the lightning strikes after the phone drops.

Okay, I was wondering if I imagined that one. Yeah, the stuff on the airplane probably could have been done better (I'm thinking more along the lines of the abandoned train car in 2033).

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Xander77 posted:

We haven't quite gotten to the point at which we hear his full name, but yeah:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlik_Morozov

Also.

Aww, I wanted to bring that up.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Anyone else find it amusing that the nominal leader of the Communists is rocking a Hitler-stache?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: First mask replacement - I'm pretty sure you got hit by either a surprise Watchman or by Pavel. Probably the former, though. That's how your mask got damaged.

Also, question - if LDO could disguise himself as a human child, why did he never do so before? Were there plans to have to chase him around the Metro that got scrapped? And if all Dark Ones can do that, why didn't they do it in the last game?

This one little random thing just raises so many questions.

• Locked thread