Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

caberham posted:

On the other end of the spectrum in Hobart, Australia. Someone’s election poster was scribbled with racist graffiti
https://nextshark.com/asian-australian-yongbei-tang-racist-graffiti/amp/

Australia has a truly shameful amount of racism. It's painful. Which isn't to say that CCP front-organizations don't exist either.

This was Melbourne's largest selling newspaper's front page last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The complaints of that picture's nothing burger racism is so drat overblown that the complaints worse than the picture.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

The complaints of that picture's nothing burger racism is so drat overblown that the complaints worse than the picture.

Which picture are you talking about there because uhhh

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The original that blew it up, the Williams one. It's worth an eye roll at worse.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wasn't it more the cartoonist's and the paper's overblown response to mild criticism or am I misremembering?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know who or what, either way it wasn't remotely worth any coverage.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
You don't write satire free zone like that, you just write satire and put it in the circle with the slash going over the word. This dumb paper triggered me

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm drinking Taiwan Gold Medal straight from my mother-in-law's shop's fridge.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

The original that blew it up, the Williams one. It's worth an eye roll at worse.

The picture that drew Serena Williams as a completely unrecognizable racist caricature? Nah I think it’s understandable that people thought that didn’t fly.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Uh, depicting a black woman athlete as a literal black savage with Sambo features even Gary McCoy woud deem "pretty offensive" could and should merit more than "an eyeroll" :wtc:¨

e: post the drat suit

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The labor guy looks like he's taking a green poo poo. It took me a minute to see that as the frog's legs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oohhboy posted:

I don't know who or what, either way it wasn't remotely worth any coverage.

Hey, do us a favour would you? gently caress right off with that bullshit, racist apologism.

Thanks.

Mark Knight has made a career out of being an openly racist piece of poo poo while working for a openly racist newspaper empire run by Murdoch.

You don't get to come in after years of his bullshit and think seeing one loving cartoon makes you the loving expert.

Bonus works from one of his Murdoch colleagues:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 20, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s not racist apoligism because hey, he’s a minority that grew up with lovely racism. Since he thinks the world isn’t fair anyways, everyone should just roll with the punches and not be so overly sensitive!

:barf:

I guess this line of thinking is one way to internalize racism and avoiding the need to deal with it :ohdear:

I really don’t have to deal this kind of garbage as much as before now that I’m living in east Asia. I think that’s one of the few saving graces for me. Whereas I probably be waaay less vocal to call out this BS if I continued to live in Canada

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 20, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Taiwan number 1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

Uh, depicting a black woman athlete as a literal black savage with Sambo features even Gary McCoy woud deem "pretty offensive" could and should merit more than "an eyeroll" :wtc:¨

e: post the drat suit

To go one further, her opponent, also theoretically drawn in the cartoon is herself half black but was drawn as a white woman to further accentuate the awful sambo drawing of Serena Williams. The entire thing was a completely calculated move.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

oohhboy posted:

lol are you loving kidding me

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
everyone is getting a great view into how other first world countries view the world

I'm not commenting on if either one is correct or not.

just there was a ton of moral outrage in the usa about the cartoons. the moral outrage in Australia and NZ received massive eye rolls.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The Great Autismo! posted:

everyone is getting a great view into how other first world countries view the world

I'm not commenting on if either one is correct or not.

lol oh yes you are

You're the other guy who constantly trips and falls into racism while making Three Stooges noises itt.

quote:

just there was a ton of moral outrage in the usa about the cartoons. the moral outrage in Australia and NZ received massive eye rolls.

I want everyone to remember you wrote this sentence the next time the thread rightly laughs at mainland Chinese talking dumb crap about "Chinese are different from the West, we have no racism/classism/whatever."

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
racism is bad and I thought the cartoon is bad, if you're curious as to my views on it

that's what I have to say about that

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

racism is bad and I thought the cartoon is bad, if you're curious as to my views on it

that's what I have to say about that

Australians rolling their eyes at the cartoon is a condemnation of Australia, not a mere cultural difference between them and the US/Canada.
lol talking about a country where even I would go from "generic white dude" to "shifty half-wog".

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

I want everyone to remember you wrote this sentence the next time the thread rightly laughs at mainland Chinese talking dumb crap about "Chinese are different from the West, we have no racism/classism/whatever."

also I'm kinda confused, do you think I believe that chinese people can't be racist or classist? because I believe chinese people can be racist and classist. in fact I am working on a paper on social stratification in china this weekend

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Australians rolling their eyes at the cartoon is a condemnation of Australia, not a mere cultural difference between them and the US/Canada.

it's not a condemnation, it's what happened

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

australia is a racist shithole, hope this helps

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

australia is a racist shithole, hope this helps

I'm kinda confused that I'm the clueless racist one while noting that Australia thought this type of cartoon was ok

I didn't even say anything I personally believe, I just stated what happened

lol

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hey, do us a favour would you? gently caress right off with that bullshit, racist apologism.

Thanks.

Mark Knight has made a career out of being an openly racist piece of poo poo while working for a openly racist newspaper empire run by Murdoch.

You don't get to come in after years of his bullshit and think seeing one loving cartoon makes you the loving expert.

I had no idea it was years of BS from the guy. I roll my eyes because people complain is and that over magnified all the drat time it just becomes noise.

He is a poo poo head and I was never going to die on some hill for him or anyone else. I was stating my apathy over complaints in general.

You're a bit of a dick about it but thanks for the much needed context.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
G'day, I'm a shifty half wog

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

G'day, I'm a shifty half wog

Oh, have you seen any of Australia's theatrical productions yet? Maybe "Star Wogs", or "Wogs out of work" or "Wog-A-Rama", "Wogboys", "Who Let the Wogs Out?", TVs "Acropolis now" or at the movies , "The Wog Boy"?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Pretty much all of them, and I've been Backstage at fat pizza live and shook Nick giannopopopoplolopopdopolous and mimos hands

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I'm kinda confused that I'm the clueless racist one while noting that Australia thought this type of cartoon was ok

I didn't even say anything I personally believe, I just stated what happened

lol

When goons see an opportunity to dog-pile someone, their reading comprehension drops to nothing and they only see what they want to see in other people's posts. It's like saying 1920's Europeans just rolled their eyes at people getting mad about racist Jewish caricatures in the media. You're stating a fact, not stating an opinion.

Also I didn't know what Serena Williams has to do with Taiwan. . . did her tantrum have Chinese characteristics?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Blistex posted:

Also I didn't know what Serena Williams has to do with Taiwan. . . did her tantrum have Chinese characteristics?

It all comes back to australia being racist. I think that people were trying to determine if australia was as racist as China. It turns out it is.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
IMO we should talk about Taiwan and maybe China in this thread

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

Is Taiwan still number 1?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pimblor posted:

Is Taiwan still number 1?

You know it, chief!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Devils Affricate posted:

Taiwan is China. Shame about the fake China squatting on the mainland.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wonder what the fallout (pun) would be if Taiwan suddenly announced that they have a limited tactical nuclear arsenal. Like several intermediate range ballistic missiles that would cover the straight and a small portion of the mainland where troops and supplies would be marshaled. Right there it would alter the Chinese projected plan, as any attempt to invade would be seen as a direct threat to the continued existence of Taiwan, and would possibly result in a limited exchange turning into a regional->global nuclear war. It sucks that there would have to be that sort of brinkmanship, but really that's one of the few ways I can see Taiwan ensuring their national security.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ooohboy looks down at the newspaper article with a she-boon version of Williams. Adjusts his five piece suit.

"I don't see the problem."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Blistex posted:

Wonder what the fallout (pun) would be if Taiwan suddenly announced that they have a limited tactical nuclear arsenal. Like several intermediate range ballistic missiles that would cover the straight and a small portion of the mainland where troops and supplies would be marshaled. Right there it would alter the Chinese projected plan, as any attempt to invade would be seen as a direct threat to the continued existence of Taiwan, and would possibly result in a limited exchange turning into a regional->global nuclear war. It sucks that there would have to be that sort of brinkmanship, but really that's one of the few ways I can see Taiwan ensuring their national security.

Previously, I would think US nukes in theater would provide a better deterrent than Taiwan-owned weapons. Now though, I don't know. Who would have the will to use them?

I also think the world would weep at the casualties involved in any sort of invasion. How long could the ROC military fight a rear-guard action just to buy enough time for evacuations? Operation Hannibal 2.0, now with guided weapons!

Could the PRC keep control of their own population after wasting a bunch of their conscripted sons? How many elite formations could they move towards the front without totally loving up security at every other border or restive area?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

I also think the world would weep at the casualties involved in any sort of invasion. How long could the ROC military fight a rear-guard action just to buy enough time for evacuations? Operation Hannibal 2.0, now with guided weapons!

Could the PRC keep control of their own population after wasting a bunch of their conscripted sons? How many elite formations could they move towards the front without totally loving up security at every other border or restive area?

Foreign Policy does Clancy: https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/25/taiwan-can-win-a-war-with-china/

It's actually an interesting read, and it's hard to disagree with this conclusion

Foreign Policy posted:

The most crucial battlefield may be the minds of the Taiwanese themselves. Defeatism is a more dangerous threat to Taiwanese democracy than any weapon in China’s armory.

I actually tried getting FP delivered in China for a couple of years. 2 big problems. 1 FP's subscription doesn't support Chinese characters in addresses. 2 the magazines never arrived.

Trammel fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 21, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
We should give taiwan some nuclear weapons IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hakimashou posted:

We should give taiwan some nuclear weapons IMO.

Giving everyone guns works great for solving US crime so why arent we giving everyone nukes?

• Locked thread