Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In every country you get a North/South divide.

In the UK it's "Shandy Drinking Southern Poofters" vs "Proper Hard Northern Bastards". (also houses that don't cost 20x the income of your entire family for 4 generations).

Please list the differences in the South and North of your country here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Killjoy posted:

name ur son anasatasia and they get bullied into becoming the biggest and toughest of soldiers

That's his last name you dumb gently caress.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the second korean war is gonna be a bloodbath for the ages and its gonna own

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
South Koreans would be a lot more impressive if they actually grew a pair. North Korea does badass things like making people starve to death just so they can nuke things. All South Korea does is go snivelling to the US begging them to fly a nuke bomber close to the border. Bunch of spineless pussies.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's a shame we invaded Iraqistan instead of North Korea. We could have cut our teeth on this nation building business with success and turned our BFF Korea into an economy bigger than Japan's.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

It's a shame we invaded Iraqistan instead of North Korea. We could have cut our teeth on this nation building business with success and turned our BFF Korea into an economy bigger than Japan's.
Seeing as North Korea has actual anti-air defences it was woefully overqualified to be a Coalition of the Willing stomping ground.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

error1 posted:

It's going to suck when north korea nukes south korea, because with LG and Samsung reduced to a smouldering crater you can wave goodbye to all your decent android phones, cheap flash memory chips and flat screen televisions :(

Yes, except they produce the "best" android phones, definitely the best industry leading memory chips (research and production, flash, RAM, and SSDs), and the same for panels in monitors and TVs - which are not only bleeding edge but also account for ~80% of all displays in the USA regardless of brand

Worth fighting for

jBrereton posted:

Seeing as North Korea has actual anti-air defences it was woefully overqualified to be a Coalition of the Willing stomping ground.

Their glorious cold war army is exactly the kind of army US generals would cum for. It would be a Michael bay esque blood bath. The only reason we don't is and always will be: China

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 18, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

jBrereton posted:

The real challenge is the artillery overlooking northern Seoul. When the Norks talk about, "drowning Seoul in a sea of fire," they're not really exaggerating.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

spud posted:

In every country you get a North/South divide.

In the UK it's "Shandy Drinking Southern Poofters" vs "Proper Hard Northern Bastards". (also houses that don't cost 20x the income of your entire family for 4 generations).

The southern portion of Belgium has superior cuisine and beer, speak a real language (French), is friendlier, more pleasant, and geographically more beautiful.

The northern portion of Belgium is cold and murky, their food strange and their beer, while still of high quality, not as good. Though on average they do make slightly more money, it is because their people are less friendly and speak a very goofy moon language (Flemish) that affronts sensibilities both written and oral, and are likely of extra-terrestrial origin.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jesus Christ posted:

The southern portion of Belgium has superior cuisine and beer, speak a real language (French), is friendlier, more pleasant, and geographically more beautiful.

The northern portion of Belgium is cold and murky, their food strange and their beer, while still of high quality, not as good. Though on average they do make slightly more money, it is because their people are less friendly and speak a very goofy moon language (Flemish) that affronts sensibilities both written and oral, and are likely of extra-terrestrial origin.

Flemish is just Dutch and lol, just lol, if you think French is inoffensive or a real language.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

The English have no cuisine, Hastings!

fuck the mods
Mar 30, 2015

error1 posted:

decent android phones

lol

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Their glorious cold war army is exactly the kind of army US generals would cum for. It would be a Michael bay esque blood bath. The only reason we don't is and always will be: China

the real reason is probably south korea, since reunification would mean trying to integrate 25 million malnourished unskilled peasants into a functioning economy from a region with poo poo rear end infrastructure

germany barely pulled off reunification and east germany was paradise compared to the dprk

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Just ask Pyongyang jastiger

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

25 million malnourished unskilled peasants

:smith:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Harald posted:

very carefully

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spud posted:

It's going to be your fault when jastiger comes in here and derails the thread you monster.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

potee posted:

south koreans are like 6" taller

lol every country sends their biggest motherfuckers to the dmz:

That guy in the back is 6' he's just standing way way in the background and the camera had amazing depth of field.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

KomodoWagon posted:

Flemish is just Dutch and lol, just lol, if you think French is inoffensive or a real language.

Flemish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg_3aKpuFjE

French:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lle_GA1cg20

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheIllestVillain posted:

the real reason is probably south korea, since reunification would mean trying to integrate 25 million malnourished unskilled peasants into a functioning economy from a region with poo poo rear end infrastructure

germany barely pulled off reunification and east germany was paradise compared to the dprk
The people of North Korea aren't unskilled peasants in the main (in fact this is part of the reason they are starving - lack of cultural memory or experience of pastoral life), they are classic working class proletarians. The South was the peasanty part of the Peninsula in 1950, which is why they made such a weak effort to defend themselves and were bailed out by the UN.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Gosh, both those languages are really terrible to listen to

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

TheIllestVillain posted:

Its a huge concern for them, yes, but they have plans in place for this. They actually talk about it all the time, like a pipe dream. Essentially they will be kept in place and rebuild the country around them, and they are willing to do so at great cost.

In short though that is not why they don't invade or whatever. They won't because no matter how you cut it the casualties will be immense due to proximity. And even if that is (or becomes) "acceptable", China will still not allow it despite their growing displeasure with north Korea they absolutely do not want the north to fall for political reasons.

The only valid outcome is surrender due to collapse.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

And since this looks like it's going to turn into the next iteration of the North Korea megathread, this should be mandatory viewing. (don't turn it off after the first few minutes as much as you'll want to, it isn't North Korea apologizing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1iudsIKa8

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 18, 2016

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
That goon is still trapped in a North Korea prison.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

That goon is still trapped in a North Korea prison.
If only a local magistrate had seen reason and given him 6 hours to change his ways.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Accretionist posted:

The real challenge is the artillery overlooking northern Seoul. When the Norks talk about, "drowning Seoul in a sea of fire," they're not really exaggerating.

Was it grover who was saying that the vast majority of that artillery is woefully maintained and held together with glue and string and will never function as intended? Or was he just describing his house?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Was it grover who was saying that the vast majority of that artillery is woefully maintained and held together with glue and string and will never function as intended? Or was he just describing his house?

I vaguely recall him linking to a persuasive analysis but I can't find it. It seems a distinct possibility.

Edit: Although even a worst case scenario doesn't entail the destruction of Seoul. Iirc, their artillery can reach the northern metro area. The 'Sea of Fire' business doesn't really cover Seoul at all, which has shelters for tens of millions.

But the x-factor here are nukes and rockets. Or nuclear artillery. But North Korea's putative nukes are still smaller than Fat Man and Little Boy so it's still ambiguous whether they have nukes or not. Maybe they've just been detonating multi-ton piles of TNT underground as a bluff

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 18, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
North Koreans enjoy the dank kush that their southern brethren have been denied by a facist government.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I read that you can easily identify newly arrived North Korean defectors in South Korea because they're short, look shocked and confused by normal things, and leave all the tags on their clothing. That's how the con artists spot them.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

The north Koreans have the rings in their drunk go counter clockwise. South Koreans the rings go clockwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

donkey salami posted:

The north Koreans have the rings in their drunk go counter clockwise. South Koreans the rings go clockwise

but enough about yer b-hole

• Locked thread