Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
SNES is so superior it's not even funny. Most NES games were poo poo arcade ports or rip offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Gorman posted:

Mega Man games, Castlevania, Metroid, Double Dragon <...> Those games didn't age well and are hard and frustrating as gently caress.

The gently caress are you talking about? Especially Metroid. The primary fun of that game is searching around and finding things on your own, not looking for big flashing signs that say, "SECRET DEAD AHEAD!!!"

To contribute, Wizards and Warriors (soundtrack should be in hall of fame along with Megaman 2's), and Metroid's ignored, more beautiful brother, Kid Icarus. God, I still love those games.

However...

gently caress that guy. Sonuvabitch kept me from beating that game for 3 years. Dracula was a loving pushover compared to that sickle spinning motherfucker.

notZaar posted:

SNES is so superior it's not even funny. Most NES games were poo poo arcade ports or rip offs.

SNES is around the time designers figured out that they could design a purely fun game, not a machine designed to keep people feeding quarters into it. Consequently, games (and gamers)began their downhill slide into pussification, culminating in "If you die too many times, the game will play the level for you."

The.gently caress.

Sapper fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 17, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If they released the NES Mini with just SMB3 and Kirby's Adventure I'd still pay $60 for it

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

vols bitch posted:

mario 2 is vastly underrated

Strangely enough it's not an actual mario game. Oh but you think it is? U wrong.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

PinkoBastard posted:

I don't know man, the games you mentioned are really tough but I'd still say they've aged well... uhh, maybe not the first final fantasy, but the rest of them.

The first Final Fantasy would have aged pretty decently if several important things weren't broken in it to begin with.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It is though, it says mario right on the cartridge

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In Japan it was named "Dorky Dorky Pedant."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dr mario is a fun game

i agree with the person above that said SNES is better though

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

of course it was better it has "super" in the name

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

Behold the sickest video game box ever produced

Also one of the best video games
ill loving show you some video game box art

and the crazy thing is it was obviously done by someone who actually played the game and realized how awesome it was because you can recognize all that poo poo in the game when you see it

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

FIRST TIME posted:

The first Final Fantasy would have aged pretty decently if several important things weren't broken in it to begin with.

There are a couple of rereleases that fix a lot of the most annoying poo poo, those are good games.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Tom Gorman posted:

Behold the sickest video game box ever produced

Also one of the best video games

Europe got this cover instead, lol.

It's actually pretty cool in it's own way but is in no way representative of the actual game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Only one game for me.

[img]http://ocremix.org/files/images/games/nes/4/ufouria-the-saga-nes-cover-front-eu-58329.[/jpg]

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

i don't understand the phalanx cover

i don't understand the phalanx cover

does anyone

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Germstore posted:

In Japan it was named "Dorky Dorky Pedant."

(its a me!)

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I'm trying to remember the name of this game. You play as one of a member of a family, including the dog, and have to explore this giant fuckoff castle. The different characters have various abilities that must be used to get passed obstacles in the castle.

I though it was called legend of something or the other but I appear to be wrong.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Nathilus posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this game. You play as one of a member of a family, including the dog, and have to explore this giant fuckoff castle. The different characters have various abilities that must be used to get passed obstacles in the castle.

I though it was called legend of something or the other but I appear to be wrong.

Conquest of the Crystal Palace?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Not a Children posted:

If they released the NES Mini with just SMB3 and Kirby's Adventure I'd still pay $60 for it

I'm hoping they release game packs after because no Tecmo Super Bowl and no RBI baseball is sort of a deal breaker. :punto: :thurman:

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Nathilus posted:

one of the best games ever,

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I still play my NES top loader every weekend. Just last weekend I beat my friends rear end in bases loaded 13-4. However I'm currently playing through Faxanadu.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ - :argh:

Nathilus posted:

I played this game so goddamned much, and never got anywhere. Even with the cheat codes!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

stab posted:

Conquest of the Crystal Palace?

Nah, that's not it. In the one I'm talking about you can switch between multiple characters, that are all members of this family. Iirc it's a mom, dad, brother, sister, and their puffball "dog".

olaf2022 posted:

one of the best games ever,

That's it!

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
My dad and I spent so many hours plays Gauntlet our thumbs would have indentations in them. I had no idea how the game worked so I always played the elf and just ran into everything.

Dragon Warrior has not aged well. I have fond memories of it, and its music rocks, but dear lord. The grinding.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Nathilus posted:

Nah, that's not it. In the one I'm talking about you can switch between multiple characters, that are all members of this family. Iirc it's a mom, dad, brother, sister, and their puffball "dog".

That's it!

Good enough for me but fyi crystal palace owned cause your dog would gently caress bad dudes right up

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Best AFL game to this day. If it had the right teams and player names it would have been god tier.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the snes mario is missing was okay

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Cubey posted:

nes is extremely good but here's a hot tip for y'all: the gamecube is better :ssh:

more like game pube, am I right? :mmmsmug:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Rack posted:

I played this game so goddamned much, and never got anywhere. Even with the cheat codes!

It was indeed ridiculously hard.

stab posted:

Good enough for me but fyi crystal palace owned cause your dog would gently caress bad dudes right up

:waycool:

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

SEGA does what NintenDon't. Mainly streets of rage 2.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
^^^^ I still want to know why they ever got rid of their intro Se-ga. Never had one but it's seared in my brain even now.

Cymoril posted:

My dad and I spent so many hours plays Gauntlet our thumbs would have indentations in them. I had no idea how the game worked so I always played the elf and just ran

You're not a real OG until you wear through the skin. :smuggo:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 17, 2016

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dky9vXZaKuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5qMWleU_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt0uLCI14YA

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

We have the technology now why dont games actully look like a frank frazetta/boris vallejo drawing

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Rack posted:

game is unbeatable. Refuse to believe anyone has finished this game

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

lol what the gently caress were they thinking when they drew it

he's like a midget dressed as sonic holding a gun

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Bug Bill Murray posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrWZ86Hlgk
looks like nbd

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bug Bill Murray posted:

The icing on the cake is that if you can actually get all the way to the sword (which you can't, don't lie), you then have to go ALL the way back, switch to the weakest character, and get back to the sword with him. Just lol.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Not watching that's clearly sorcercy

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Not watching that's clearly sorcercy

It also reminded me that the game is utterly filled with lies. Required plot items are hidden behind "oh yeah there's a fake block at the top of this specific screen". Pure evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
The NES had the most compelling characters

• Locked thread