Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does $4 Toast Upset You?
I consider myself certifialbly vexed.
Memes can't repel bread of this magnitude.
Me am ghey(for toast).
No. Also, Goku.
Questions of this nature are a micro-aggressions against me; Furthermore...
View Results

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Do you live under a rock? Panera bread and Einstein Bros are huge chains and p much every coffee shop sells that kinda poo poo too without even baking it in house.

I think threads like these can probably be explained by goons never leaving their houses.

we're too busy making our own toast to leave the house. i'll tell you it takes like 20 seconds, after that there's just not much left in the tank.

Ork of Fiction posted:

U might think he's mad about toast, but actually he's just.... jelly. :grin:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I think threads like these can probably be explained by goons never leaving their houses.

that and the fact that apparently no one here has owned a business or worked in a restaurant.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

a bone to pick posted:

that and the fact that apparently no one here has owned a business or worked in a restaurant.

i will admit i am naive in the ways of bespoke toast

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

sudonim posted:

There's a deeper reason this poo poo is stupid.

First of all, according to their menu, the first listed toast (Dark Mountain Rye w/ Cream Cheese) is FIVE DOLLARS. Now whether or not you think five bux is ok for a toasted piece of bread doesn't matter yet. Maybe the bread is super fuckin expensive and is made from flour that is from the rear end end of the universe or something.

Scroll down the menu and you'll see the prices for whole loaves of bread. The same bread that goes into the rye w/ cream cheese is $7.50. Last I checked making bread dough, taking time to let it rise, and baking it is way harder than cutting off a piece of a finished product and throwin it in a fuckin toaster for a minute. But somehow, the cut, toast, spread cheese on it process makes it worth 2/3 of the product it came from.

Whole loaf - $7.50
One Slice of Toast - $5.00

seriously what the gently caress

Now tell me how you walk around drinking a 2 liter bottle of soda because it costs the same as a 20oz lol idiote!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
what do people think is a reasonable price for a large slice of toast with cream cheese or fresh jam or something

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

the great deceiver posted:

what do people think is a reasonable price for a large slice of toast with cream cheese or fresh jam or something

I don't know man, it's usually included in the cost of the real food.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

they give it out for free in the hotel lobby

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Okay, hear me out, I have an idea for a mexican restaurant that only sells tortilla chips. We got fancy salsas of course, but no fajitas or burritos or any of that poo poo. Just chips.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Roylicious posted:

Who pays $4 for a bagel with cream cheese?

Everyone who has ever ordered a bagel at a bagel shop?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

If u really knew about bagls, u'd know it's called schmear not cream cheese.. REKT!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

jigglemaster7 posted:

the toast looked mad thick and had some kind of cream cheese on it, basically the same as ordering a bagle and cream cheese from panera except higher quality. whats the problem?

Bagels are more labor intensive to make. You have to boil them before baking to get em right. If you do enough that means you need a big fuckoff special kitchen vat in addition to your big fuckoff oven to make them. So with extra labor and equipment it makes sense to charge more for a bagel than a slice of bread.

If it makes you feel better they probably won't charge you five bux to toast your bagel!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I swear to God if you boil your bagel before toasting it you deserve to go to Hell.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I swear to God if you boil your bagel before toasting it you deserve to go to Hell.

No, they boil them before they bake them because that is how you bagel.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'll put it this way. If I give the intern a hundo and he brings back a big box of toast for the morning meeting well he ain't working here no more.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Making good bread takes at least 2 hours to make. In the OP vid they say it takes 36. IDGI! Are they cultivating their own artisan yeast?

But I would try the $4 toast. Especially if it had a nice piece of fish and schmear on it. But being a professional baker means I can afford it because I'm rolling in dough :roflolmao:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

a bone to pick posted:

How did you get through your entire life without ever reading the loving Bagel wiki?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Ork of Fiction posted:

If u really knew about bagls, u'd know it's called schmear not cream cheese.. REKT!

Why you got to own me like that

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

Why you got to own me like that

I'm sorry. :blush: I regretted it almost instantly. :kiddo:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

bongwizzard posted:

There is a fancy chicken strip place in Phily, don't remember the name but it is in the gayborhood.

poo poo was delicious though, I think they must pressure fry them as even the whitemeat ones were most as gently caress. They had some bomb rear end sauces too. +A would spend $8 on chicken strips again.

The only good fried chicken spot in Portland is either about to close or already has, haven't checked, but the secret to their success is this loving nonsense combination deep fryer/pressure cooker. My first time meeting my friend's now-fiancée was eating chicken in this little dive bar that has just perfect fried chicken. I proposed the spot for the double date because it's the best fried chicken I've ever eaten and homegirl is from Georgia, so I wanted to see how this would stack up against this girl's whole country-fried upbringing. She said if it were in Georgia, it would be above average. We made friends over that chicken, she's family now. It is powerful chicken.

For real you idiots, send me a bunch of your idiot computer janitor money. I'll buy that loving fryer and put it in a trailer and then I'll make you rich

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

If it's good bread with good stuff on it next to a baller plate of breakfast food, the sky is the limit, and the sky is about fifteen dollars high on a special occasion for me. I can't imagine going out for toast by itself at any price point. Like, your buddy hits you up says "dude this place has toast for A QUARTER! We gotta go!" That's not exciting either

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

The Dilemma of Consumer Choice:

Cheap / Quality / Convenient

Pick two.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
naughty toast. psht!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cowboy Pope posted:

The only good fried chicken spot in Portland is either about to close or already has, haven't checked, but the secret to their success is this loving nonsense combination deep fryer/pressure cooker. My first time meeting my friend's now-fiancée was eating chicken in this little dive bar that has just perfect fried chicken. I proposed the spot for the double date because it's the best fried chicken I've ever eaten and homegirl is from Georgia, so I wanted to see how this would stack up against this girl's whole country-fried upbringing. She said if it were in Georgia, it would be above average. We made friends over that chicken, she's family now. It is powerful chicken.

For real you idiots, send me a bunch of your idiot computer janitor money. I'll buy that loving fryer and put it in a trailer and then I'll make you rich

You talking about the Reel M Inn? That place was named America's 2nd best dive bar by some national review joint, but it's a shadow of what it was when Gina was tending bar.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Of course I'm talking about reel m inn, I left the name out because it's basically implied.

I never went there regularly enough to get name-basis with anybody because I have to walk all the way through ladds and some to get there, don't know if I met Gina or not. I distinctly remember some cola-for-color, basically transparent whiskey cokes about five years ago, an I on the right track here?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
goddamn people in sf are concerned with some of the most truly idiotic poo poo ever

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cowboy Pope posted:

That deep fryer pressure cooker thing isn't exactly rare, it's how kfc does their chicken

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Cowboy Pope posted:

If it's good bread with good stuff on it next to a baller plate of breakfast food, the sky is the limit, and the sky is about fifteen dollars high on a special occasion for me. I can't imagine going out for toast by itself at any price point. Like, your buddy hits you up says "dude this place has toast for A QUARTER! We gotta go!" That's not exciting either

oh hell yeah im not going out for toast either. nobodys going out for toast after the initial novelty. im thinking it isnt an unreasonable item to offer at like an established bakery or coffee shop or something where a different product is the main focus. im all for hating yuppies but i genuinely dont understand why people care about this.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Also they have better access to killer weed. And burritos.

Not in San Francisco. :smug:

IHOP and waho give you TWO slices for about a buck fitty.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cowboy Pope posted:

Of course I'm talking about reel m inn, I left the name out because it's basically implied.

I never went there regularly enough to get name-basis with anybody because I have to walk all the way through ladds and some to get there, don't know if I met Gina or not. I distinctly remember some cola-for-color, basically transparent whiskey cokes about five years ago, an I on the right track here?

If it came in a pint glass, that was Gina.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Proof is in the pudding on this one op, gay people have mental deficiencies

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8 track betamax posted:

Proof is in the pudding on this one op, gay people have mental deficiencies

my berother is gay and hes getting married buti cant afford to go to mexico, he says it with a h. hes a total fag

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Orkin Mang posted:

my berother is gay and hes getting married buti cant afford to go to mexico, he says it with a h. hes a total fag

In Mexico they call gays mariposas and they think having one in your Pueblo is good luck

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8 track betamax posted:

In Mexico they call gays mariposas and they think having one in your Pueblo is good luck

wheneer theyre together i call it stashmeet lol

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

it's cool that we still get sonic the hedgehog video games and hashtags during this depression

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

ArbitraryC posted:

Do you live under a rock? Panera bread and Einstein Bros are huge chains and p much every coffee shop sells that kinda poo poo too without even baking it in house.

Uh nice sick burn there dog but Einstein Bros. menu says a bagel with cream cheese is $2.70

Pawn 17 posted:

The local hole in the wall place near me sells a meat cheese and egg breakfast bagel for $3.

I think maybe you guys are the ones that need to get out a bit more.

e: Also bagels have to be boiled before they are baked so there's an extra step compared to bread, plus bagel shops have like 12-15 different kinds to choose from. And cheese is an expensive ingredient.

Only in CA would people pay $4 for buttered toast and then vehemently defend it.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 19, 2016

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Why won't these assholes voluntarily give up a highly profitable product that is popular with their consumers?!?! I demand they stop making so much money right now!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

RedMage129 posted:

Why won't these assholes voluntarily give up a highly profitable product that is popular with their consumers?!?! I demand they stop making so much money right now!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

RedMage129 posted:

If there's any real annoyance here I think its that there's motherfuckers in SF stupid enough to pay 4, 5 or even 6 bux (seriously check out the menu) for goddamn toast. The proprietor is making some nice loot at their expense.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

sudonim posted:

If there's any real annoyance here I think its that there's motherfuckers in SF stupid enough to pay 4, 5 or even 6 bux (seriously check out the menu) for goddamn toast. The proprietor is making some nice loot at their expense.

This is the real issue. People with no concept of the actual value of money saying "yup sure" when offered these outrageous prices. It drives up the prices for the rest of us. It's what drives up the housing market like a bad sketch comedy bit where a guy bids against himself in an auction.

I think the more :psyduck: thing on that menu is $20 for a 12 oz cup of "gourmet" coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Goddamn, that's pretty fuckin' good toast. I don't know if it's worth four dollars but it's pretty fuckin' good.

• Locked thread