Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was over at my friends house tonight, and i was thinking, his cat is pretty mean. it bites and scratches everyone most of the time and is really tense and angry. you can't really pet it or interact with it without getting blood drawn, except for maybe once a day if its owners are out of town. i dont think that cat really cares about anyone, like it's just totally upset all the time, no positive cat vibes.

then i got to thinking about my own cat. he's cool, you know, he hangs out. he gets on my lap every once in a while, sleeps in the same room with me, hangs out with me while i'm in bed reading and stuff. he's a pretty good cat, but he isn't exactly nuts about me. i bet if i died he'd get over it in maybe a month.

but my brother, he has these three cats, and they're all totally berserk for him and his wife. they fuckin go nuts for em. meowing and going crazy, all up on them all the time, i mean they want to get petted something fierce. those cats love them, they're devastated if they even go out of town.

so goons how do you think your cat feels baout you? are you the light of its life? would it eat ur eyeballs if you died alone in a studio apartment? please post pictures of your cat so we can evaluate them

to get things started here is a picture of my cat, claudius, named for the crippled roman emperor who stabbed an orca whale to death once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Claudius looks like a bad rear end.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

a dog from hell posted:

Claudius looks like a bad rear end.

once i found a mouse in my bed when i was about to go to sleep, and i flipped the little bastard out of the sheets, and he escaped under the bed. unfortunately for him there was no way out from under there, so he was stuck. i went downstairs and got claudius, carried him there, and put him next to the bed. i pulled up the sheets and shined a flashlight on the mouse and pointed the cat like a missile...then i left the room while he did his grim work, and he came trotting down the stairs a few minutes later with the mouse in his mouth. pretty good for an inside cat imo

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I want to know more about stabbing a fuckin whale. That sounds awesome.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
My cat spurns me pretty much constantly

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Frog Act posted:

once i found a mouse in my bed when i was about to go to sleep, and i flipped the little bastard out of the sheets, and he escaped under the bed. unfortunately for him there was no way out from under there, so he was stuck. i went downstairs and got claudius, carried him there, and put him next to the bed. i pulled up the sheets and shined a flashlight on the mouse and pointed the cat like a missile...then i left the room while he did his grim work, and he came trotting down the stairs a few minutes later with the mouse in his mouth. pretty good for an inside cat imo

Most inside cats lose a lot of character even just in the face but Claudius looks like a tomcat. Props on the good cat.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
Then again I think he might have, like, cat autism, so maybe he's just confused by emotions

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

a dog from hell posted:

Most inside cats lose a lot of character even just in the face but Claudius looks like a tomcat. Props on the good cat.

thank u, i adoped him when he was like six months old because out of all the kittens in the big cage at the SPCA, he was the only one chilling in the hammock, maximum relaxed, which is a disposition i can get behind.

tenspott posted:

I want to know more about stabbing a fuckin whale. That sounds awesome.

quote:

A killer whale was actually seen in the harbour of Ostia, locked in combat with the emperor Claudius. She had come when he was completing the construction of the harbour, drawn there by the wreck of a ship bringing leather hides from Gaul, and feeding there over a number of days, had made a furrow in the shallows: the waves had raised up such a mound of sand that she couldn't turn around at all, and while she was pursuing her banquet as the waves moved it shorewards, her back stuck up out of the water like the overturned keel of a boat. The Emperor ordered that a large array of nets be stretched across the mouths of the harbour, and setting out in person with the Praetorian cohorts gave a show to the Roman people, soldiers showering lances from attacking ships, one of which I saw swamped by the beast's waterspout and sunk. — "Historia Naturalis" IX.14–15.[38]

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

El Boot posted:

Then again I think he might have, like, cat autism, so maybe he's just confused by emotions

you should post pics so we can help you with the diagnosis; that sounds serious.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cats get a bad rep for being ice cold but theyre actually big softies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyeuvOtUkw

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Cats: like dogs but worse in every conceivable way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We have two cats, and they often follow me around like little dogs. I'm pretty sure they dig me. The older one (she's 19) begs like a dog and is very fond of ranch dressing.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

This argument is too frustrating. Can we keep this thread about cats? Just open a dog thread, it's not like there's loads of great threads cramming the first page of GBS anyways.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

all animals are wonderful. love them

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We have two cats, and they often follow me around like little dogs. I'm pretty sure they dig me. The older one (she's 19) begs like a dog and is very fond of ranch dressing.

are they talkers

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
*snaps fingers hepsterishly*

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

This argument is too frustrating. Can we keep this thread about cats? Just open a dog thread, it's not like there's loads of great threads cramming the first page of GBS anyways.

I forgot cat men are easily rattled. My apologies.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That cat has a movie actor face.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
if someone owns a cat it's because they made a decision at some point in their life that they want a box full of poo poo in their home at all times.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Someone get Claudius to Hollywood.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Frog Act posted:

are they talkers

Yeah, although the older one has the nicer voice. The younger one (only by way of comparison - she's 15) tends to be a little monotonous, but is quite the conversationalist.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Op youre describing the old, the intermediate and the new type cats. Cats used to be rude and angry but over the last 10 years or so have become more and more personable. This is a legit observed phenomina seen all o er the world

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

I forgot cat men are easily rattled. My apologies.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, don't spaz out, ok? We'll get your mom on the phone as fast as we can.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Guy Goodbody posted:

if someone owns a cat it's because they made a decision at some point in their life that they want a box full of poo poo in their home at all times.

Ok a few points... 1. cat litter is amazing as a multipurpose tool and human invention whether or not you have a cat 2. it is easy to clean and 3. the fact that a cat can learn to poo poo in a smell-proof box and COVER IT UP is 100x more impressive than anything a dog can do that isn't one of the better breeds and well trained.

Wow, don't spaz out, ok? We'll get your mom on the phone as fast as we can.

She is my emergency contact please hurry there is no reason for this wait.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

my cat likes me a whole lot and is extremely upset and needy when I leave for a few days. he gets super excited and follows me around whenever i see him outside, and would do so for hours if I didn't eventually get bored and leave. usually he greets me by meowing a ton and getting up on 2 feet to pet himself with my hand

i've raised a lot of cats and they always turn out pretty awesome as long as you get them as kittens and show them nothing but constant love and attention so that they cannot comprehend anything else

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Most of my cats over the years have been indoor/outdoor, so their poo poo was outside (at times accompanied by the bodies of their victims). Current cats are indoor only, but they are also really loving old.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Frog Act posted:

you should post pics so we can help you with the diagnosis; that sounds serious.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

that cat is delightfully fluffy, looks like a confident in-your-face kinda dude tbh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vargs posted:

my cat likes me a whole lot and is extremely upset and needy when I leave for a few days. he gets super excited and follows me around whenever i see him outside, and would do so for hours if I didn't eventually get bored and leave. usually he greets me by meowing a ton and getting up on 2 feet to pet himself with my hand

i've raised a lot of cats and they always turn out pretty awesome as long as you get them as kittens and show them nothing but constant love and attention so that they cannot comprehend anything else

i think my current kitty is a little aloof cus i got him from the shelter when he was almost a year old. are yours inside or outside? seem slike outside cats are also usually a little more independent and reserved, because they've seen some poo poo, they've watched the life drain from the eyes of birds, mice, crickets, voles, etc etc

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Cats are more graceful and impressive the more poo poo they have seen. They build character out of adversity and that is why former strays are the best. Cats are complex and personable like humans, I have met cats with all types of personalities.

Dogs generally get what they're born with and the rest is molded by the owner. Big dogs are cool. Rottweilers, boxers, German Shepherds, any kind of big hounds are cool but it is a shitshow finding one with a good owner.

It's not even hard. Establish yourself as the alpha, treat them well and train. Dogs that are treated like babies always suck.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Frog Act posted:

that cat is delightfully fluffy, looks like a confident in-your-face kinda dude tbh

oh, no, he's absolutely terrified of everything and is constantly going into cartoonish scooby doo-esque panic sprints because of various sounds/movements (including those caused by him (especially those caused by him))

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

i think my current kitty is a little aloof cus i got him from the shelter when he was almost a year old. are yours inside or outside? seem slike outside cats are also usually a little more independent and reserved, because they've seen some poo poo, they've watched the life drain from the eyes of birds, mice, crickets, voles, etc etc

my current cat spends most of his time outdoors. he was originally a feral kitten who was showing up on my doorstep for food, so I caught and tamed him which was a loving nightmare but it all turned out well enough

my experience with both types is that purely indoor cats tend to be kinda crazy and not particularly intelligent compared to outdoor cats, but they can still be very sweet

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Frog Act posted:

all animals are wonderful. love them
This. I don't see why it has to be turned into a contest.

My girlfriend's family has five different cats running around their house. Three of them are sweet, but dummies. The other two are our favorites and we plan to take them with us when we finish college. Luna, who's HNIC, is the most particular out of all of them and it was a small accomplishment when she started to accept my attention since she usually doesn't let most people touch her. Isaac is the second one and is very passive, but seems to appreciate my focus and even follows me around when the mood strikes him. Isaac is my personal favorite out of the indoor cats since he's not particularly needy and likes the sound of TV and video games so he'll just hang around the couch when you're there.

Lastly there's Miles, a little black stray kitten(?) we found outside. He was super skinny and disheveled when we found him, so it was pretty obvious he wasn't feral enough to fend for himself nor was he being taken care of by anyone else.
It was pretty cool to slowly gain his trust over the summer. He went from eating his food several feet away and being startled and running away at even the slightest motion towards him, to today where he meows when he hears us call him and flops down on his back to be played on a very regular basis.

I would say that since Miles is the youngest he's probably the most invested in myself and my girlfriend since he went from being terrified of us, to expecting food, and now just expecting attention and playing.

https://imgur.com/a/IFxcW Link to pictures in respective order since the ones I took are big huge.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vargs posted:

my current cat spends most of his time outdoors. he was originally a feral kitten who was showing up on my doorstep for food, so I caught and tamed him which was a loving nightmare but it all turned out well enough

my experience with both types is that purely indoor cats tend to be kinda crazy and not particularly intelligent compared to outdoor cats, but they can still be very sweet

that's probably why he's so loving, rescue animals kinda seem to know it. regarding inside cats, claudius is the first one i've ever kept indoors. my last two cats were childhood pets, and they got to go out their whole lives and i think probably had a fuller existence because of it, but when i adpoted this one the SPCA included a very strongly-worded pamphlet about the risks of outdoor living that implied the cat would probably just die if i let him out, so i decided to do the "right" thing this time, according to the current consensus. i feel kinda bad about it though, especially since ill be moving into an apartment soon and he's gonna have a lot less space

heres more cats welcoming owners for the h8ers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJlhj1FSeN8

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Xanei.exe posted:

My girlfriend's family has five different cats running around their house. Three of them are sweet, but dummies. The other two are our favorites and we plan to take them with us when we finish college. Luna, who's HNIC, is the most particular out of all of them and it was a small accomplishment when she started to accept my attention since she usually doesn't let most people touch her. Isaac is the second one and is very passive, but seems to appreciate my focus and even follows me around when the mood strikes him. Isaac is my personal favorite out of the indoor cats since he's not particularly needy and likes the sound of TV and video games so he'll just hang around the couch when you're there.

Lastly there's Miles, a little black stray kitten(?) we found outside. He was super skinny and disheveled when we found him, so it was pretty obvious he wasn't feral enough to fend for himself nor was he being taken care of by anyone else.
It was pretty cool to slowly gain his trust over the summer. He went from eating his food several feet away and being startled and running away at even the slightest motion towards him, to today where he meows when he hears us call him and flops down on his back to be played on a very regular basis.

I would say that since Miles is the youngest he's probably the most invested in myself and my girlfriend since he went from being terrified of us, to expecting food, and now just expecting attention and playing.

https://imgur.com/a/IFxcW Link to pictures in respective order since the ones I took are big huge.

i wanna sleep in a bed during winter with all three of them

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Xanei.exe posted:

um there is a better everything, even if it is in dollar value, now what is the most valuable lifeform GODDAMNIT

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

dookifex_maximus posted:

um there is a better everything, even if it is in dollar value, now what is the most valuable lifeform GODDAMNIT

I think you know that it's probably goku. I'll just have to settle for my three awesome cats though :sigh:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I moved into my parent's place a month or two ago and my mum's cat has completed abandoned her in favour of me. It turns out the key to a cat's heart is having a mink blanket.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
my kitty loves me, always talking at me and licking my face and even giving me love bites on occasion. it gets to be kind of annoying sometimes but i can't stay mad at her.

she also loves to snuggle up real close in various positions. sometimes wrapped around my neck, or on top of my head, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Spurrn looks like Spurm in this font.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 17, 2016

• Locked thread