Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

etalian posted:

NJ attack lucked out since only 1/3 of the pipe bombs detonated.

Union made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PBRstreetgang posted:

All I can say is THANK GOD WE GAVE THE POLICE MRAPS NATIONWIDE

The Rook (tm) will protect us all.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kephael posted:

It's possible bombs have been going off in Detroit and no one is reporting them. Detroit already looks like a bomb has gone off and no one can tell the difference.

Ford moving small car production to Mexico :shrug:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/14/ford-moving-all-production-small-cars-mexico/90354334/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Four days ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/nyregion/man-shot-after-striking-off-duty-new-york-officer-with-meat-cleaver-authorities-say.html

Man Shot After Striking Off-Duty New York Detective With Meat Cleaver, Authorities Say

SEPT. 15, 2016

quote:

A man wielding an 11-inch meat cleaver near Pennsylvania Station and resisting police officers’ efforts to catch him on Thursday slashed an off-duty detective in the head before being shot by the police, the authorities said, in an episode that sent commuters and tourists fleeing during the evening rush.

It started when the police confronted a man who was trying to remove a “boot” device attached to a tire on his car, officials said, and escalated into a chaotic chase through Midtown Manhattan that ended with officers shooting at him 18 times.

The man, Akram Joudeh, 32, was critically injured and taken to Bellevue Hospital Center, the police said. The off-duty detective, identified by the police as Brian O’Donnell, was in serious condition. Two other officers were taken to the center with injuries that were not life-threatening.

quote:

The episode began around 5 p.m. at West 32nd Street and Broadway when several officers responded to a report that Mr. Joudeh was trying to remove the device, Police Commissioner William J. Bratton said at a news conference on Thursday night. The police said they believed Mr. Joudeh, whose last known residence was in Queens, was living out of his car.

The chief of department, James O’Neill, said Mr. Joudeh pulled a cleaver from his waist band, threatened the officers and then fled. At one point, the chief said, the man mounted the front grille of a marked police car that had responded to the call. As officers pursued him, a uniformed sergeant “deployed a Taser, striking the suspect without apparent effect,” Chief O’Neill said.

As Mr. Joudeh ran along West 32nd Street, the off-duty detective, who was headed to Penn Station after a day in court, saw the pursuit and tried to stop him. He was struck in the head with the cleaver, “causing an approximate six-inch gash from his temple about down to his jaw,” the chief said.

Officers then fired at the man, striking him several times, the chief said.

Officials said Mr. Joudeh had several past arrests, but they would not elaborate on his criminal history. In 2010, Mr. Joudeh pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor of petit larceny and was sentenced to 90 days, according to public records. In 2009, he was charged with grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, but those felonies were dismissed, records show. He pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of a vehicle and was fined, but served no time.

This needs to be looked into. How the gently caress do felonies get dismissed with no time served?

quote:

Asked about the possibility that the attack might have been tied to terrorism, Chief O’Neill said, “As part of our investigation, nothing’s off the table.”

The chase left commuters and tourists scurrying for cover as officers flooded the area during the start of the evening rush near a transit hub. Mr. Bratton addressed concerns that so many shots were fired in such a busy area.

“Sufficient shots were fired to deter the attack on my officers,” he said.

Richard DeWald, a nurse, said he narrowly avoided Mr. Joudeh during the pursuit. “He just seemed wild and crazy,” Mr. DeWald, 56, said. “First there was yelling, and then all I heard was the gunshots.”

Witnesses said they saw Mr. Joudeh on the corner of 32nd Street and Avenue of the Americas, clutching a large meat cleaver to his chest. They said he was silent and his face was expressionless.

“He didn’t say a word, that’s the thing,” said Jonathan Schneier, who works at a software company and watched the episode unfold from across the street.

Mr. Schneier said the officers, shouting “Drop the weapon,” pointed their guns at the man, who appeared “flustered.”

“He just looked like a crazy guy with a huge weapon,” he said. “He just literally looked like a deer in headlights.”

Mr. Schneier said the man began “sprinting as fast as he could” and was pursued by police. About 10 seconds after that, Mr. Schneier said, he heard gunshots.

“I called my girlfriend right away and told her what happened,” he added. “It’s New York. Stuff happens.”

Robert Mennella of Bridgewater, N.J., said he had left the subway station at 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue and was headed to Penn Station.

He said he saw a number of unmarked and marked police cars racing along 32nd Street when he heard gunshots.

“Everybody turned around,” he said. “Some people stood there with their phones to take pictures, and I just took off.”

He said he ran to Penn Station and saw officers from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and from New Jersey Transit running upstairs.

“I just told them ‘shots fired,’ and they started running faster,” he said.

Lina Gana, a laser technician at Cosmed Laser and Spa on Avenue of the Americas, said she heard gunshots that “sounded like a machine gun.”

It was 18 shots you goof.

quote:

Another technician, Nailya Howe, who has worked in the area for three years and at the spa for more than a year, said she was surprised by what happened.

“I’ve never heard gunshots here before,” she said. “This is a very quiet area.”

Ms. Gana agreed. “Ten minutes before the shooting, I was walking down the street getting food for everyone,” she said. “And then this happened.”

Correction: September 15, 2016
An earlier version of this article misspelled the surname of a witness. He is Jonathan Schneier, not Scheier.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I'm the ramen.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

felony charges get dismissed if there is not sufficient evidence to get a conviction at trial, this isn't an unusual thing for a cop to write a check that the DA can't cash, so to speak.

Interesting. The dude in question is a crazy homeless guy so I wonder if the lack of fixed address added to the difficulty of finding evidence or something.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nooner posted:

atthis point trump might have te right idea and maybe we should just like make all the muslims leave new york and go somewhere lovely to do their terrorism like north dakota

Upstate New York. Seriously. If you haven't been, visit with a couple of friends and take note of the tattoos on the residents. More often than not it's obscure WWI-II pro german insignias.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

you mean the mostly black populations of buffalo or rochester or is there another fantasy strawman upstate new york?

No I'm talking about white dudes. Because I went there and saw this. There is a DOE plant in the vicinity of Ballston for Naval training. The military gents and ladies are fine. It was the civilians that gave me the creeps with the pro-german tats in bars, on the streets and visiting the civil war battlefields in the area.

It was north of Albany.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

XK posted:

Please tell me of the civil war battlefields north of Albany, NY.

:negative: Revolutionary war.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

XK posted:

Please tell me of the civil war battlefields north of Albany, NY.

There was a civil war memorial in Brockport.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/08/top-5-must-see-civil-war-era-sites/

Went to a few of these including Old Stone Fort and Saratoga.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/historical-sites/2015/07/battlefields_military-forts_upstate_ny_historical_sites_visit.html

XK posted:

What do pro-German tats have to do with the Revolutionary war?

You clearly aren't referencing the revolutionary war. Scrolling back through your posts, I have no clue what you are even trying to argue.

Learn to read.

reallivedinosaur posted:

what is a "pro german" tat? if you meant swastika you would have said so

are pro-german and pro-nazi supposed to mean the same thing, or is this some "donald drumpf" stupid poo poo?

Correct. No swastikas. This visit was about 7-8 years ago so way before Donald Trump. I'll explain below

Earwicker posted:

for real though I think some goon went to some town in upstate new york and saw like one person with tattoo that they interpreted as "pro-German" and is exaggerating this to be the entirety of the state. probably some biker with an iron cross or something like that

that or it's a picture of the Brazillian flag crossed out with 7-1 underneath

Shut the gently caress up Earwicker. Idiot. Go visit there with a camera and show us what you find.

What I observed reallivedinosaur, which was initially pointed out by my military colleague, were tattoos on inner forearms, necks, collarbones and backs. The tattoos were of stylized eagles that at first glance looked like american bald eagles but were correctly identified by my collegue as WWI german unit symbols. No these were not warhammer 40 double eagles either I would have identified that immediately.

And stuff like this.

Specifically the "x" with a vertical line through it. Above are SS symbols. I did NOT notice jail "white power" tats like fists, 88, etc.

This stuff wasn't obvious, at least to me. That's why I described them as "pro-german" tats.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Earwicker posted:

lmao i've been all over upstate new york many times. i dont doubt you saw some people with tattoos but trying to make it out like its some common thing typical of the region is ridiculous

Maybe if you took your head out of your rear end and bothered to be observant a tourist wouldn't be able to show you up.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

i dont believe that guy and his military colleagues were going around checking peoples backs and collar bones with their little tattoo/ufo identification chart

i think that is all made up

i think he saw a biker and got scared

How would I know specifically about the DOE base in upstate new york for training navy officers on a nuclear powerplant.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

InterFaced posted:

I would like to know more about bundle of sticks axe, fig 42. Also retarded dog, fig 41.

If your serious fig 42 iirc was originally a Roman fasces. I'm speculating that the upper symbols of the "x"es with the vertical line are abstracted symbols of fasces.

I'm betting 41 is actually a wolf's head likely referencing Romulus and Remus of Roman mythology. Supposedly they founded Rome. Or Romulus did. I don't recall.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Earwicker posted:

its a symbol that has always been heavily used by fascists especially in italy and spain. but lots of other people like it too

I want to say I've heard it even in a discussion of the Golden Horde but I can't recall a citation.

:agreed: The bundle of sticks as an analogy for a nation vs individuals is a common observation that has penetrated multiple cultures.

Anyway back to terrorism.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Love Crime posted:

Gear up for action, indeed, Walmart.

Well played.

Crockpot duds should be Patriot colored. Always at least one in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

John Denver Hoxha posted:

New drink idea... The rahami... A bomb variant with Jersey Turnpike instead of whiskey

• Locked thread