Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
seeing deadmau5 on the front page made me think of a friend of mine who unironically thinks it is supposed to be said as "dead mau five"

another friend used to think A1 sauce was called "AL sauce" we know cause he asked for it once in a restaurant.

we all probably know somebody who pronounces gyro with a hard g like gyroscope.

what are some common things friends or people you know cant pronounce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
a lot of my friends pronounce "nice to see you" as "gently caress off," which is an odd mistake to make

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
In Ohio all the Italians call bell peppers "mangos". I don't know why other than Italians are borderline retarded

I had a home ec teacher who called parmesan cheese "par-mee-see-on"

Every day I prayed she'd just never wake up, I hated her so much for it. Especially because everything we made relied heavily on parmesan for flavor. I can make 6 different flavors of parmesan popover party puffs

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 18, 2016

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

In Ohio all the Italians call bell peppers "mangos". I don't know why other than Italians are borderline retarded

I had a home ec teacher who called parmesan cheese "par-mee-see-on"

yet what of death?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i dont have friends, op

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
we used to have this thing called "platinum membership" where i worked for VIPs and a coworker who wasnt from the US always called it "platinium" because of how people outside the US add the extra letter to alumnium i guess. why do people insist on adding extra syllables to words that already exist. like what the gently caress was wrong with aluminum

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"Lemme axe you this" (coworker)
"expresso" (brother) :(

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

All of the sudden

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"fustrate"

"noun needs verbed"

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

my friends say "per se" when they mean perhaps and "jet fuel can melt steel beams" instead of "bush did 9/11 international jewish conspiracy ZOG chemtrails"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My wife says "fuckin' a" all the time for no reason at all like as a general exclamation.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
A girl I know calls a panini a 'pieini'.

Also, specific / Pacific.

These are both Barnsley folk though which may explain it.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

thathonkey posted:

we all probably know somebody who pronounces gyro with a hard g like gyroscope

I was at a Greek joint in Brooklyn and the two old Greek dudes behind the counter rolled their eyes and quietly mocked a dude when he ordered a year-o. Even those old country fucks know in America you speak American. :911:

My dad says wheel barrel and supposably

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
irregardless

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My sister pronounces lemurs like they're French like "le murz"

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
all my friends died

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The principal at our high school says "liberry".

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
"Adaption" instead of adaptation

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Enfield posted:

all my friends died

sorry you can't participate in this thread then

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Enfield posted:

all my friends died

I'll be your friend.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Someone at work complimented me on my "tub aware" I used at lunch over chat on Friday.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I'll be your friend.

ok

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Someone I talk to regularly while gaming says dexitry for dexterity. Even after years of this I somehow can't handle it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

inserting you/me where it doesn't belong

go get you something to eat

go take you a shower

going to find me something to wear

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have one friend that is really proud to know that in many cases you are supposed to say "<other person> and I went to go do something" instead of "<other person> and me" when you're the subject of a sentence. but he blindly applies it across the board because he isnt as smart about grammar as he thinks so he'll say things like "that cake is for <other person> and I" and then argue when i say it's wrong

native english speaker btw. british actually which makes it even richer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My grandma and every other old person in the midwest says "warsh" instead of wash and it annoys me to no end

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

gently caress... I'm dying. drat it enfield. Euuuuuuaaaaghhhģ

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
GBS is actually pronounced "suck poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat"

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Funnily

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
My girlfriend pronounces "hey sexy" as, "who are you what are you doing in my bushes"

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly pronounce it as dead mau 5 in my head even though I know it's deadmouse.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Padalin," noble warrior with a spanking fetish I guess?

We would gently correct him by consistently saying it the right way around the dorklord nerd table but he preferred it his way

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard a lot of people say "panini" when they mean "toastie" or "toasted sandwich." No idea what sticker albums have got to do with sandwiches.

Oh, and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hey OP

gyroscope doesn't have a hard G you stupid gently caress

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

"toastie"

This might be surprising to you but in other countries sometimes people don't talk like a fag with their poo poo all retarded

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Ryoshi posted:

hey OP

gyroscope doesn't have a hard G you stupid gently caress

That reminds me. What's the proper pronunciation of "gyro," as in the greek sandwich dealie?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skeleton Ape posted:

This might be surprising to you but in other countries sometimes people don't talk like a fag with their poo poo all retarded

What is with British people and talking like literal children well into adult hood? They have the dumbest loving slang on the planet.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

What is with British people and talking like literal children well into adult hood? They have the dumbest loving slang on the planet.

They are stupid inbred bog people

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

thathonkey posted:

i have one friend that is really proud to know that in many cases you are supposed to say "<other person> and I went to go do something" instead of "<other person> and me" when you're the subject of a sentence. but he blindly applies it across the board because he isnt as smart about grammar as he thinks so he'll say things like "that cake is for <other person> and I" and then argue when i say it's wrong

native english speaker btw. british actually which makes it even richer.

Next time just tell them to repeat the sentence without the < other person> to highlight their stupidity

I say nucl[u]ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Turrent instead of turret. Where the gently caress did that N come from?

• Locked thread