Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Hector lick my butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Lemme axe you this" (coworker)

just gonna keep posting this until someone loses it, me or them

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/people-have-been-saying-ax-instead-ask-1200-years-180949663/?no-ist

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I used to always pronounce it "windows veesta" and I don't know why I thought that was how you pronounced it

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i call a spade a spade

thats also what i call clubs hearts and diamonds

every hand a flush

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
If you want to hear a plethora of mispronunciations, talk to homeschoolers. They never hear the words that they read in their head due to lack of classrooms and other human contact.

Teenage guy told me he "loves re-gah" when talking about reggae music.

When I was seven, one of my friends told me about the Hardy Boys book "the case of the Chin-saw Junk" (Chinese junk).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I have a friend who uses "seen" instead of "saw" and it drives me up the wall.

"I seen the movie yesterday."

"I seen a good sale at the store."

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
"No I don't want to see you're cool good dick nooner"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

when i was in first grade the teacher had me read a book to her and i pronounced island as is land the entire time. bitch never even corrected me wtf

cousin would say werewuss instead of werewolf when he was young

friend used to pronounce mayonnaise as nannaise lol

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
yeah what the gently caress is with absolutely no one being able to pronounce reese's pieces correctly?

It's always this weird pronunciation that sounds like "reesies peesies" or "reesy species"

That's the most retarded poo poo

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

kazr posted:

cousin would say werewuss instead of werewolf when he was young

hahaha werewuss is good

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Gatekeeper posted:

Umm are you from NY?

no sorry the person I'm talking about is from new england and lives in tennessee, which makes it even better because everything he says is tinged with a weird mixture of both of those ridiculous accents, sounding something you'd expect out of a guy wearing a bruins jersey with a spring of wheat between his teeth

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Gatekeeper posted:

wait so gif has a hard g

lol

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I have a friend who says stigmata instead of stigma

"The wounds of Christ associated with passing out in the gutter covered with puke"

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
People asking for HDMI cables with English spelling in Slovakia. Also činč (tchintch) instead of cinch.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

AugmentedVision posted:

I have a friend who says stigmata instead of stigma

"The wounds of Christ associated with passing out in the gutter covered with puke"

Correct it, but with 'astigmatism'.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Had a friend say me-me when describing a meme.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

thathonkey posted:

seeing deadmau5 on the front page made me think of a friend of mine who unironically thinks it is supposed to be said as "dead mau five"

Are you sure it's not on purpose? I do the same thing because it annoys people who think of a DJ as a performer and not as just the monkey in charge of the stereo.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Frankenstyle posted:

Are you sure it's not on purpose? I do the same thing because it annoys people who think of a DJ as a performer and not as just the monkey in charge of the stereo.

whenever someone or something has a dollar sign in its lovely name or logo, I always pronounce it "dollar sign"

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
we r living in the moment itt

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
theres a lot of words people I know use incorrectly and all of it frustrates me but the only thing I get head banging mad about is improper use of the word 'literally' like when someone injects it into a sentence as an emphasis

the only point of the word is to never use it like that

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

redm posted:

theres a lot of words people I know use incorrectly and all of it frustrates me but the only thing I get head banging mad about is improper use of the word 'literally' like when someone injects it into a sentence as an emphasis

the only point of the word is to never use it like that

Webster has updated the meaning of "literally" to also mean "figuratively"

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I'm not a linguist but any time I do research for writing or just curiosity, I always come across morsels suggesting that Webster is a loving awful dictionary

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

AugmentedVision posted:

Webster has updated the meaning of "literally" to also mean "figuratively"

words cannot even describe the despair i felt when that happened

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mp8a0ka7L8

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

redm posted:

words cannot even describe the despair i felt when that happened

literally shaking

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
cubano sandwitches

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I've dated some dumb girls in my day

pellow=pillow

ambliance

donimo's pizza

hour with no silent h

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
addicted to dictatorship kim jong un is king

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
My lady friends accidentally say "Get the gently caress out of here, I'm calling the cops" instead of "Thank you keeping my bed warm. I will reward you with all the sex."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My friends don't say things incorrectly because if they do I will immediately correct them, which they appreciate greatly.

nobody speak
Sep 18, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Science Rocket posted:

My lady friends accidentally say "Get the gently caress out of here, I'm calling the cops" instead of "Thank you keeping my bed warm. I will reward you with all the sex."

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Zesty Mordant posted:

no sorry the person I'm talking about is from new england and lives in tennessee, which makes it even better because everything he says is tinged with a weird mixture of both of those ridiculous accents, sounding something you'd expect out of a guy wearing a bruins jersey with a spring of wheat between his teeth

Not sure if this was done with intent, but it's "sprig" of wheat

Kindergarten Camp
Nov 27, 2015

There was a time whenever I heard a person talk about internal bleeding that they were saying eternal bleeding instead. It was a real scary imaginary medical condition.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Sangwiches.

Drives me nuts, and I have a high tolerance for mispronunciations.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
guys relax

everyone makes mcsteaks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
annoying science teachers that insist on LEAver

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my friends pronounce it "incorrectly" when its pronounced "incorrectly"

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Penis

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
My friend spent a whole semester working on a Rude Goldberg Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvie
May 22, 2008

My cousint is drownding

• Locked thread