Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Oh hey, Those Guys. Do they still have their special 'Attack Commanders' script? It was possible in Dom3 through shenanigans to copy that attack order to other units, though it was generally considered Bad Juju and one of the few in-game tactics almost universally frowned upon, not least of all because Attack Commanders is such a powerful goddamned command.

E: poo poo, uh, update at the bottom of last page for anyone just popping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Oh hey, Those Guys. Do they still have their special 'Attack Commanders' script? It was possible in Dom3 through shenanigans to copy that attack order to other units, though it was generally considered Bad Juju and one of the few in-game tactics almost universally frowned upon, not least of all because Attack Commanders is such a powerful goddamned command.

E: poo poo, uh, update at the bottom of last page for anyone just popping in.

Bogus & Friends still have their "Attack Commander" unique script, but it's no longer possible steal it and apply it to your own dudes anymore. I always thought that was a neat little exploit, but I know that many people really hated it. I didn't play any multiplayer in the Dominions 3 era, and I'm sure I would have been as pissed as anybody else if it were used against me, haha.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
How could you "steal" a script?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

How could you "steal" a script?

Use shortcuts to copy it to other commanders. You can't issue the script normally.

Also, my free love dryads will not be bound by your rules and treaties.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That drat archer is the bane of priest reanimation nations like Sceleria.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I wonder if it was possible to edit your turn file to add that script to commanders even without having bogus and co, assuming you know how the turn file is encoded of course. My guess is that it was possible, I doubt there would be a check that checks if you have bogus before accepting a turn file with that script.

Would people consider that cheating? I remember a lot of people didn't consider using the script to be against the rules if you have bogus. You're not technically hacking the game, you would be submitting a turn file the game accepts.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
'Hey I edited my turnfile to give a ruinously powerful command to my units that the game normally doesn't allow any access to whatsoever, that's cool, guys, right?' For all I know, sure, Dominions' server-side turn verification might happily accept it. You might be able to find a group of players who'd be fine with allowing that as a rule in a game at the outset. But it would also be an obvious exploit if Dominions 4 has, apparently, explicitly gone out of its way to eliminate the normal means of doing so.

The pool of Dominions players is usually pretty small, so there's generally an incentive to not piss everyone off.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

I wonder if it was possible to edit your turn file to add that script to commanders even without having bogus and co, assuming you know how the turn file is encoded of course. My guess is that it was possible, I doubt there would be a check that checks if you have bogus before accepting a turn file with that script.

Would people consider that cheating? I remember a lot of people didn't consider using the script to be against the rules if you have bogus. You're not technically hacking the game, you would be submitting a turn file the game accepts.

The command only exists if you have Bogus and friends, so to get it without having them would require you to hack the game. Any players who discovers you were doing that would tell you to get hosed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Applebee123 posted:

Would people consider that cheating?

Well, what if you edited your turn file to have a billion gold and gems or some poo poo? Dunno crap about Dominions beyond reading LPs, but "editing the files the game relies on to give yourself an advantage" is just, like, so obviously cheating at video games that I can't believe this is a question.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Well, what if you edited your turn file to have a billion gold and gems or some poo poo? Dunno crap about Dominions beyond reading LPs, but "editing the files the game relies on to give yourself an advantage" is just, like, so obviously cheating at video games that I can't believe this is a question.

Dominions identifies sudden increases in resources outside an expected range as cheating. I'm pretty such that alchemizing too much in a single turn in Dom3 got a notification sent out to all players that Player X cheated themself some resources.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

AfroSquirrel posted:

Dominions identifies sudden increases in resources outside an expected range as cheating. I'm pretty such that alchemizing too much in a single turn in Dom3 got a notification sent out to all players that Player X cheated themself some resources.

I still remember in one LP, the first turn something went wrong, so the messages were:

In the beginning there was Chaos.
Now the Wheel turns once again.
(playername) is Cheating!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

AfroSquirrel posted:

Not really the point.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Or getting a huge stash from a player going AI/being crushed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

Would people consider [copying Bogus et al's orders] cheating?
Yes, obviously, which is why they took it out of the game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Yes, obviously, which is why they took it out of the game.

Question. What if I want to target commander more than the opposing Dominions player?

I mean, it doesn't follow. No, I want to target commander more, sir. Do you understand me?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
If I were the devs, I'd have let it in the game, but added a hidden piece of code changing the actual command behind "attack commander" to "commit suicide" whenever a jackass copies the command from the NPC to his own commanders.

The player would still see "attack commander" in his own script, but on the battlefield the commander with this order would simply attack himself.

This would have the added fun of sowing confusion, since Bogus & Co would still function like intended.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Libluini posted:

If I were the devs, I'd have let it in the game, but added a hidden piece of code changing the actual command behind "attack commander" to "commit suicide" whenever a jackass copies the command from the NPC to his own commanders.

The player would still see "attack commander" in his own script, but on the battlefield the commander with this order would simply attack himself.

This would have the added fun of sowing confusion, since Bogus & Co would still function like intended.

It would also still be technically correct, since they are attacking a commander. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Applebee123 posted:

What Would Modpud Do?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 33

The turn begins with our mages hitting level 4 in Conjuration, which gives us Voice of Aspu, the Water remote-searching spell. We set our freshly empowered W2 Enchantress to cast it each month, and hopefully it will pay off.

We also see that Bogarus has claimed another Throne:

gently caress, why do I never get these type of Thrones?? I really wish I could have that +1 Growth, dang. Well, Bogarus now has 3 Thrones claimed, the most of any nation. This is kind of concerning, because Bogarus is well known to be a potential powerhouse nation if left unmolested to grow in size and research.

Our remote searching for the turn comes up with two Earth sites giving us another +3 Earth gems. We’re up to 19 Earth a turn, a really fantastic amount. I'm not sure what to do with it yet, but we'll think of something!

Just a handful of scouted battle reports for this turn, all involving Caelum’s war with AI Jomon. The battle in Redbud Grove exemplifies how the AI can be a real annoying rear end to deal with, especially in a Mo Money game:

Battle at the confluence of the Bogarussian, Caelan, and Jomonese borders!

Caelum has over 30 Mammoths in this army, some serious stomping power.

Caelum's mighty army, a hideous number of Mammoths

Some of the troops in Caelum's army:

Noble Samurai wielding the sharpest steel. Backed up by hundreds of Independent Crossbowmen & Cavalry.

First he sends his Caelan infantry flying across the battlefield to attack Jomon crossbowmen:

They quickly get decimated and rout, but have distracted the Jomonese forces long enough for the Mammoths to cross the field where they charge into Jomon’s line:

The Mammoths inflict horrifying casualties in two turns, but concentrated crossbows and samurai steel cut the vulnerable beasts to pieces and they soon rout.

:killdozer:

Cowardly beasts.

Jomon wins the battle, losing a few hundred crossbows and infantry and slaying 34 Mammoths plus assorted Caelan infantry.

Xibalba once again attempted to throw our sieging army off of their capitol, but were harshly rebuked. This turn we also get the message that the Xibalban fort has cracked, so we are recruiting a Scout in a nearby province to bring over and peek inside. There are just a couple of cardinal rules of Dominions, one of which is Never Blind Attack Thrones. One of the others is Never Blind Storm A Fort, because you have no idea what kind of devious poo poo may be lurking inside ready to wreck your whole doom-stack. We're not in a rush, so in two turns we’ll find out what’s inside.

Our Dominion score graph shows that ours is stronger than ever, which is going to begin to become something that we will have to watch or else we could be accused of aggressive Dom-pushing ourselves.

Speaking of Dom-pushing, I spoke with Pangaea on IRC and we have officially extended our NAP for another year. We’ll consolidate our gains in Xibalba and move on to war with Man. This is great news, and hopefully we will be able to take a bunch of Man's territory. To this end we start to move Westward all of the crossbows and Levite Zealots we’d recruited as auxiliary armies for the Xibalban war. Man's longbows are known throughout the world to be extremely deadly, so we want to have a wall of shields on our Western border within about 5 turns.

Next turn: Searching, Researching, Marching.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
If you have Growth 3 and capture a Growth +1 throne, is it possible to get Growth 4? Or is 3 the absolute max on any scale, and the last +1 is just to reverse the effects of Growth -1 stuff?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

If you have Growth 3 and capture a Growth +1 throne, is it possible to get Growth 4? Or is 3 the absolute max on any scale, and the last +1 is just to reverse the effects of Growth -1 stuff?

It's the latter. It would negate our +1 Death from the Throne of Death.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
How exactly do site searching spells work? The description says "targeted province", so do you need to manually order each mage to focus on a province and cast the spell each turn? Or can they be told to just cast the spell and they automatically pick a province to cast it on?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yes to both. They do not pick very intelligently though.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

ousire posted:

How exactly do site searching spells work? The description says "targeted province", so do you need to manually order each mage to focus on a province and cast the spell each turn? Or can they be told to just cast the spell and they automatically pick a province to cast it on?

A little of column A, a little of column B. You pick a province to target initially, but if you tell them to cast it monthly they'll pick a province within range that hasn't been level 9 searched for that path. Last I heard this could get a little screwed up if you had multiple casters working the same path, but I don't know if that's still so.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 34

Turn 34 begins with another level of Blood Magic reached, this time level 5. We now have more research in Blood than any other school of magic. Our dalliance in the profane arts has unlocked a plethora of Ritual and Combat spells:

Some of the spells unlocked at Blood 5. Domination, disease, demons, and damage; Blood has it all.

Our remote site-searchers only found two sites this turn giving us +1 Fire and +1 Air gem a turn. Not great, but we do need all of the Fire and Air gems we can muster. Take a look at our current gem income totals:

We're already at end-game levels of gem income for a regular game of Dominions 4, in a few areas at least.

This is a seriously lopsided gem income. Our Fire, Air, and Water gem income is as abysmal as our Earth, Astral, and Death income is fantastic. Nature sits at a reasonable +10, but I’d really prefer to have more. Hopefully our searching will turn up more sites shortly.

Our Blood Slave income was only 17 this turn owing to the large amount of unrest that was present in the hunting province of Ablach last turn. We are going to have to seriously ramp up slave production soon, so we are building more labs in more hunting provinces to come on line in the next few turns.

We're building a Lab in the Cave province of Stalagmia, and we will soon begin hunting for slaves.

Battle reports for the turn are few and uneventful. Xibalba tried again to knock our army off of their capitol:

The AI is fantastically bad.

AI Jomon continues to attack Caelum, keeping my friendly avian neighbors to the South nice and busy as we make our plans. Man continues to attack Xibalban provinces as well.

See how AI Jomon has pushed to within 2 provinces of Caelum's capitol? The AI may be bad, but, given resources, it is relentless. Also, notice that Caelum has a large army stationed adjacent to the Throne in the province of Scytha. Could he be planning to take it?

A couple of unexpected events cause Unrest in several provinces and +50 province income in another. RNG giveth, RNG taketh away.

On the strategic level we continue to move troops West, towards our border with Man. I’ve tried unsuccessfully for days to contact Man’s player on IRC, and it is getting annoying. When somebody is so incommunicative you generally have to assume that they’re planning to attack you, so those troops need to get to the front ASAP. I send an in-game message to Man pleading for some communication.

Next turn: More research, more marching, more blood hunting.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It's worth noting that while relentless in some respects, the AI is profoundly dumb in others. Units siegeing down a fortress will stay there come hell or high water until the fort is broken. With some forethought you can pretty much mire an enemy army/god/whatever on a convenient fort until you are ready to deal with them. In TopSnek, once Arco went AI his invincible gorgon earth snek got caught on a flypaper fortress full of maenads and did nothing ever again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also like people cutting deals on irc.

I hope it's on the channel #momoneymoprobs or something nutty.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the plan for that glut of gems? It feels like you're just hoarding some of the gem types.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

What's the plan for that glut of gems? It feels like you're just hoarding some of the gem types.

There's not much to spend them on right now, to be honest. We have a whole bunch of Earth gems and Astral Pearls piling up, but it's not really worth spending those resources forging items for no purpose. We have a nice little pile of Fire gems, and the best thing to spend those on is Lightless Lanterns (Research boosting item) except you get access to those at Construction 6. We're spending a lot of our Death gems casting Dark Knowledge to search for more Death, and Dark Knowledge is expensive as hell at 4 gems a pop! You can see on the turn-report that Sabba, our Hero, is casting Pack of Wolves, spending Nature gems to summon mass quantities of lovely little wolves which we're going to use to patrol down unrest generated by Blood Hunting. Pearls are both our largest stockpile and our biggest asset right now, but there's not anything to spend them on other than casting Arcane Probing to search for more Pearls. We did transmute some of them into Water gems to Empower our W1 Enchantress to W2, which shows how handy they can be to have around, and believe me we'll find a few things to use them for in the future.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How are u posted:

You can see on the turn-report that Sabba, our Hero, is casting Pack of Wolves, spending Nature gems to summon mass quantities of lovely little wolves which we're going to use to patrol down unrest generated by Blood Hunting.

That's actually kind of a hilarious dystopian setting thing. Not quite thematically on-theme for Gath, but some ruthless nature cult that kidnaps the young and life-filled for dark rituals, and the rebels against their ways are hunted down by frenzied animals and wild things from the woods.

Blood slave pool looks pretty low, though. Is it all the dominion-sacrificing that's eating them up?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

That's actually kind of a hilarious dystopian setting thing. Not quite thematically on-theme for Gath, but some ruthless nature cult that kidnaps the young and life-filled for dark rituals, and the rebels against their ways are hunted down by frenzied animals and wild things from the woods.

Blood slave pool looks pretty low, though. Is it all the dominion-sacrificing that's eating them up?

The world of Dominions is Not A Nice Place to be a peasant, that's for sure.

Yes we are pretty much spending all of our Blood Slave income making Sacrifices to boost our Dominion. A Priest can sacrifice as many slaves per turn as he has Holy levels, and the more slave sacrificed translates to more powerful Dom-push. Each Kohen Gadol 'spends' three slaves a turn, because they're H3 priests. Any slaves left over after sacrificing are being spent to forge Sanguine Dowsing Rods, which are 5 slaves a pop.

We're also only blood hunting in one province, Ablach, with 6 B1 Kohens. I don't even remember if we've forged enough SDRs yet to equip all of them, either, so right now we are hunting very inefficiently. We're going to want a lot more slaves soon, though, thus the effort to set up new blood hunting operations in ideal provinces.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 35

Turn 35 does not begin with a research breakthrough. We are plugging away at Blood Magic and we’ve arrived at the levels where research is taking a lot longer. It will take two more turns to get to Blood 6.

We find two sites via remote search this turn which give us a total of +1 Earth, +1 Fire, and +1 Astral. Small and incremental, but they add up! We also get another Slow-to-Recruit Enchantress this turn, and she has two levels in Air magic! We immediately set her to work searching for more Air sites. At this rate we may potentially pick up a halfway-decent Air income in the near future.

Our Blood Slave income this turn is an abysmal 10 virgins, sad! :sad:

We've captured so few blood slaves this turn that we don't have enough to hand out to all of our Sacrificers. It's not terrible misfortune, though, because we’ve more than recovered from the "Great Dominion Crisis" of Year 2.

Last turn we had the Kohen we sent into our cave province of Stalagmia build a lab, and so this turn we are sending four more Kohen plus a commander leading 60 wolves into the cave as well. They Kohen mage-priests will begin blood hunting, and the Commander leading the wolves will patrol down unrest. We're aiming to get an additional blood hunting force set up in the province of Winter Peaks within another turn or two, and we are forging more Dwarven Hammers with which to create cheap Sanguine Dowsing Rods for our hunters. [Ed. Note: This is what we're spending Earth gems on.]

Caves, like basements, are great places to find virgins.

Dogs :cheerdoge:

There are two interesting battle reports this turn. First, we see Man attacked Cacevic Highlands again, the Throne province guarded by the Annunaki of the Sky and the deadly Spring Hawks. That’s the Throne where Man lost 80%~ of a 500 strong army some turns ago. Let’s see how he does this time:

:eyepop:

Woah! Man sent a single Knight and managed to kill 59(!!) of the Spring Hawks that had clowned the gently caress out of his army previously. How did he do it?

By spending gems!

What we see here is Man using his head and learning from his mistake, which is great! The Green Knight is one of Man's National Heroes. He rides an Alicorn, has innate regeneration, and great combat stats. Man equipped The Green Knight with a slew of magical items including:
- Fire Brand: has an AoE magic fire attack useful for clearing groups of enemies.
- Weightless Kite Shield: pump defense up even higher.
- Horned Helm: gives the wearer an extra attack.
- Copper Plate: armor that gives 25 (!!) Shock Resistance.
- Amulet of Luck: gives a 75% chance that a killing blow will be ignored.
- Ring of Tamed Lightning: gives an additional +15 Shock Resistance.

The Green Knight ends up with some monster stats, a poo poo-load of attacks, and 45 loving shock resistance.

Serious Bling.

Now, recall what happened when Man disastrously attacked this Throne on turn 28. The Spring Hawks that eviscerated Man's massive army only have a single, shock damage attack. The Green Knight has been equipped, essentially, to be invulnerable to the Spring Hawks. His Fire Brand sword is both magical and does AoE damage, which negates both the Hawks innate Ethereal quality and Fog Warriors's Mistform buff, cast by the Annunaki.

The Green Knight cuts down dozens of Spring Hawks over many rounds of combat, yet Man’s player forgets about Fatigue. The more Fatigue a unit accrues the more likely it is to be critically hit, and the less likely it is to be able to dodge attacks. Eventually, The Green Knight hits 100 Fatigue, the point at which a unit “goes unconscious” until the Fatigue level slowly, naturally falls below 100. An unconscious unit has no defense other than armor, so it is basically a death sentence in melee combat. The Green Knight falls in and out of unconsciousness, taking several hits from summoned Phantasmal Warriors, until eventually the Gryphon that the Annunaki of the Sky spawns at the beginning of every battle manages to wade through the Phantasmal Warriors and remaining Spring Hawks to crush the unconscious Knight in its claws.

Man’s effort was a clever bit of strategy, and probably would have succeeded if he’d just kitted out two or three more Knight commanders with the same type of gear. Four Thugs would have likely cleared all of the Hawks and chaff, though they still would have had to kill the Annunaki. Man ended up greatly weakening the Throne defense at the cost of both his Hero and 40 gems worth of gear.

The other interesting battle this turn was Pangaea sending 7 generic commanders into a cave province full of Shades and Shadows. Pan had owned this province earlier, so the Shades and Shadows that currently occupy it must have come from some random event, perhaps tied to our claiming of the Throne of Death. Interesting, but not very important.

Doop de doop, just walking around a cave.

:spooky:

We end the turn by continuing to move our armies ever Westward toward the border with Man. We also take a fresh batch of 40~ Gibborim from our capitol and start to move them South West. In a few turns we may try to take the Throne down there in the province of Scytha, and we’ll have our own opportunity to deal with Spring Hawks. Fun!

Next turn: Blood Hunting, Researching, and we get to see what’s waiting inside of Xibalba’s Capitol fort!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Will we see globals begin to be cast in the near future?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Did those 7 commanders just get shade-gibbed? Or were they unless and fled?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That seems like a weird bunch of dudes to send at some shades. You'd figure seven low-level holy dudes who could banish them or something, but seven generic commanders?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My guess is that they gave orders to send seven guys there for some reason last turn, then something before movement phase spawned the shadows.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So reading and following this LP made me bite the bullet and buy Dom 4 on steam, i'm not actually sure if the current PC I am using will be able to run it but if by chance it does does anyone have any hints, tips and suggestions for a brand new player to the game? Also I hear there is a Goon Dom 4 channel for IRC does anyone know what it is?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
quote is not edit etc

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Dom 4 almost runs on my linux laptop from a decade ago.

goatface posted:

Oh, that site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

koolkevz666 posted:

So reading and following this LP made me bite the bullet and buy Dom 4 on steam, i'm not actually sure if the current PC I am using will be able to run it but if by chance it does does anyone have any hints, tips and suggestions for a brand new player to the game? Also I hear there is a Goon Dom 4 channel for IRC does anyone know what it is?

:woop:

There are links in the OP to the Dominions 4 thread in Games, as well as other resources. Our IRC channel is #dom4goons, people are happy to answer questions!

• Locked thread