Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well technically only the minotaurs are beefy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They ain't gonna die to some wimpy blood vengeance.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

What's so super scary about that Pangean army aside from the size?

Yeah like others have said: Pangaea's Minotaurs and Centaurs are elite troops. They've got great HP, good armor, good to decent combat stats (Minotaurs are not good, but Berserk), and are just so much worse to fight than Humans that it's not even funny. Also, Pangaea's build is extremely Scale-heavy, so he can pump out as many of his almost entirely non-Sacred troop roster as possible. This scares me and makes me want to be his friend, because we have lovely income and wouldn't be able to survive the tide of beast-men if Pangaea decided to 1 on 1 war us.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How are u posted:

Yeah like others have said: Pangaea's Minotaurs and Centaurs are elite troops. They've got great HP, good armor, good to decent combat stats (Minotaurs are not good, but Berserk), and are just so much worse to fight than Humans that it's not even funny. Also, Pangaea's build is extremely Scale-heavy, so he can pump out as many of his almost entirely non-Sacred troop roster as possible. This scares me and makes me want to be his friend, because we have lovely income and wouldn't be able to survive the tide of beast-men if Pangaea decided to 1 on 1 war us.

You didn't show a picture, but I'm guessing the front line was made up of those Dryad Hoplites, wasn't it? Which means decently armored troops with shields that anything non-mindless has to pass a morale check to even attack in melee due to having Awe (2). Every round. Which makes them an insanely effective tar pit for minotaurs and cataphracts to come around the flanks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lord Koth posted:

You didn't show a picture, but I'm guessing the front line was made up of those Dryad Hoplites, wasn't it? Which means decently armored troops with shields that anything non-mindless has to pass a morale check to even attack in melee due to having Awe (2). Every round. Which makes them an insanely effective tar pit for minotaurs and cataphracts to come around the flanks.

Yeah.

Pangaea is already bigger than us, with better scales, and what I'm starting to realize at this point in the game is a better gimmick (huge Scales, ++Money 100%). We want to be friends with Pangaea, or we want to be knife-fighting Pangaea with 2 or 3 other allies. Right now there's only 1 possible ally, and he's not ever around to talk to.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Holy crap I didn't realize that throne equal'd 7 temples. That's incredible.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Centaurs are basically heavy cavalry but with better stats and the ability to recover from afflictions in between turns. So losings an arm or a gaping chest wound is more of minor inconvenience for them. Also unlike Gaths moderately tall guys late age Pangaea is actually smart enough to use iron armor and steel weapons instead of bronze and copper.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well you see bronze is actually stronger and better than iron and furthermore *faaaaaarrrrrtttttttt*

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
smdh that people are forgetting the ~lore~ for the moderately tall people of Gath who mostly aren't allowed to forge iron due to their despotic overlords not wanting to pass on the riddle of steel.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Who needs steel when you have loving Anakite Swords, ancient weapons forged in time immemorial, passed down through generations from father to son?

Oh, you say you're not a pure-blooded descendant of the Anakim?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If we give the chaff real armor, how are they supposed to trigger blood vengeance???

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Voyager I posted:

If we give the chaff real armor, how are they supposed to trigger blood vengeance???

Now you are getting it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Looking forward to the blood sac spam and horrible globals.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
I for one welcome our new giant/undead overlords

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that blood vengeance kill was great.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Glazius posted:

Absolutely. :allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Glazius posted:

Glad y'all enjoyed it! I was counting on blood vengeance to see us through evocation spam, but didn't expect anything quite so one-sided.

Also, in case you haven't figured it out, we are off through Xmas and there won't be another update until perhaps the new year. Have happy holidays, friends.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Also, the Steam Winter sale has Dominions 4 60% off, just $14! :siren:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay me to bash my head against this game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

It's worth it for the pure joy of theorycrafting alone in the darkness of mom's basement, believe me.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Crazycryodude posted:

What if Decrepus paid you to play it.

Payment in the form of a copy of Dominions Four.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Ramc posted:

What if Decrepus paid you to play it.

Payment in the form of a copy of Dominions Four.

Free is the best price of all.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SIGSEGV posted:

It's worth it for the pure joy of theorycrafting alone in the darkness of mom's basement, believe me.

The Pretender designer alone is worth it at $14

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 39

Turn 39 opens with a battery of remote site-searches and Pack of Wolves casts. We find a couple of sites this turn. In the formerly-Xibalban province of Gemer we find a +2 Fire site, very welcome:

In our new Throne province of Scytha we find +1 Fire

and this interesting little site:

Beefy HP, elite-unit stats, Flying, Poisonous attacks. We'll gladly take 1 free Fiend of Darkness every turn forever.

This explains why Scytha had such huge unrest levels when we conquered it. We will put a Kohen in the site and summon a Fiend of Darkness each turn forever, though I’m not entirely sure how worthwhile that will be. Free demons are free demons!

We capture a fair number of blood slaves this turn and we are using them to both forge a bunch of new SDRs for our new blood hunting posse, and also to empower our special Geddeoni to Blood 2. We’ll soon be on the path to immortality!

There aren’t very many interesting battle reports this turn. We get attacked by a handful of Xibalban mermen who are effortlessly slaughtered. Pangaea and Man kill several Xibalban armies without breaking a sweat. The only noteworthy thing that occurred is that Bogarus attacked AI Jomon:

Bogarus' army consists of Heavy Cavalry clustered in the front, screening Horse Archers further behind, and well protected mages nestled in the rear.

Bogarus is attacking Jomon in Redbud Grove, a province that Jomon took from Caelum. This is interesting. I chat with Caelum in IRC and he says that Bogarus is “helping” him in the war against AI Jomon. We all know that Bogarus is doing nothing of the sort and is just taking territory with the thinnest veneer of an excuse. Our scouting shows that Bogarus is pretty huge, so hopefully Caelum will chat with and perhaps join up with other nations neighboring Bogarus and attack him. Here’s hoping.

The little flavorful event chain in Forest of Springs completed this turn:

I too could use an Endless Bag of Wine.

We gained an Adventurer commander, a +50 supply bonus item, and a handful of Nature gems. Not a bad haul for being virtually free, and fun role-play. There are lots of interesting little event chains like this in Dominions 4, and they range from simple and innocuous like this one to pretty loving devastating. They seem rare, so I doubt we’ll see many more in this particular game.

Next turn: We reach Blood 7! We look to the Sea!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To give some insight from my point of view (Caelum), here's my video about this turn:

Caelum Turn 39

Edit:

Also, something I keep forgetting, but since How Are U seems to be as forgetful as I am with including links, I've decided to include links to the older Caelum turns in each update from here on out:

Caelum turns 21-22
Caelum turns 24-29 (didn't record 23)
Caelum turns 30-35
Caelum turns 36-38

In case you're wondering, the earlier turns have been included by How Are U himself, so you'll find the videos in his updates like normal.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 29, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What's the "Dark Power" score on the Fiend of Darkness? And does the Demon trait entail anything other than being vulnerable to demon-targeting stuff?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

What's the "Dark Power" score on the Fiend of Darkness? And does the Demon trait entail anything other than being vulnerable to demon-targeting stuff?

Dark Power is an attribute that gives a unit stat bonuses when the Darkness effect is in play. Each level of Dark Power gives +1 to Strength, Attack, Defense, and Action Points (AP are how far a unit can move on the battlefield each round). So, the Fiend of Darkness with it's Dark Power (2) gets, under Darkness, Strength 17, Attack 15, Defense 15, and 15 AP. Those are very solid stats, better than just about any recruitable elite troops. The only trick is you have to be able to cast Darkness on the battlefield.

A unit with the Demon tag is indeed vulnerable to demon-specific spells and abilities. However, Demons get a lot of bonuses baked into the tag! Demons do not need to eat (i.e. they will never suffer from starvation), have perfect Darkvision (no stat penalties in Darkness), and are immune to Diseases!

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 29, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Dark Power is an attribute that gives a unit stat bonuses when the Darkness effect is in play. Each level of Dark Power gives +1 to Strength, Attack, Defense, and Action Points (AP are how far a unit can move on the battlefield each round). So, the Fiend of Darkness with it's Dark Power (2) gets, under Darkness, Strength 17, Attack 15, Defense 15, and 15 AP. Those are very solid stats, better than just about any recruitable elite troops. The only trick is you have to be able to cast Darkness on the battlefield.

A unit with the Demon tag is indeed vulnerable to demon-specific spells and abilities. However, Demons get a lot of bonuses baked into the tag! Demons do not need to eat (i.e. they will never suffer from starvation), have perfect Darkvision (no stat penalties in Darkness), and are immune to Diseases!

Yeah, but you don't have to necessarily cast Darkness, you can also opportunistically use the effect some random events and globals like Utterdark have. Or hell, cave provinces are automatically under the darkness-effect, so if your normal troops get into trouble in caves, just send demons instead!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 30, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Demons are pretty much the strongest things in the game and having enough of them will overpower any anti-demon spells.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How do demons compare to vampires? Like, who would win in a fight. And can a vampire turn a demon into a demon vampire?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is it possible to have Dark Power but not be able to see in the dark?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

How do demons compare to vampires?
Just a completely different kettle of fish.

Vamps are very hard to kill with non-magical weapons, quite a lot of demons aren't.

Vamps can destroy whole armies with spells like Plague, which most demons can't (the non-national demons that can tend to be unique)

Vamps have immortality, I don't think there's any demon that does.

But demons often have ways to deal with lifeless targets better than vamps through elemental damage, are cheaper and easier in the first instance to mass before Blood 7, plus they have a great early buff called Blood Lust which buffs their strength (and often their innate ranged attacks as a result).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'd say it depends on whether you're talking about troops or commanders. There IS a troop version of vampires, and while they do maintain some advantages, mainly immortality and invulnerability, there are a number of different types of demons that can fit many different battlefield roles, and some (namely Storm Demons and Demon Knights) are just flat out vicious regardless of situation. So I'd generally rate demonic troops above Vampire Spawn.

For commanders, immortality combined with B7 being reasonable compared to when some of the unique demon commanders become means the edge arguably lies with Vampire Lords there. Most of the demon commanders also only have 1 magic path, which gives the versatility edge to vampires as well. Finally, every single demon commander is unique, which means there is both a limited number of them you can summon in the first place, and they are vulnerable to another nation summoning them out from under you. The actual Demon Lords themselves are extremely nasty, but they are both incredibly expensive, and research-wise they're B9.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In a game like this with a lot of randomly-generated sites, can somebody be crippled by a whole lot of unrest they have no idea about?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

In a game like this with a lot of randomly-generated sites, can somebody be crippled by a whole lot of unrest they have no idea about?

You can always see the level of unrest in a province even if you haven't found the site that generates the unrest, so I don't think that this is possible unless you're bad at paying attention.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can always see the level of unrest in a province even if you haven't found the site that generates the unrest, so I don't think that this is possible unless you're bad at paying attention.

So the answer is: "Yes, of course!" :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What's really fun is when you build a fort, temple, and lab on a province with an undiscovered Death site that spreads Diseases onto occupying units each turn. That's discouraging.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

What's really fun is when you build a fort, temple, and lab on a province with an undiscovered Death site that spreads Diseases onto occupying units each turn. That's discouraging.

Once I also started recruiting researchers on a province like that. Ten turns later my first mage there died and when I read that message, I was quite surprised. Then I went back to look at the province he died in and all nine other researchers were already diseased. :shepface:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

So the answer is: "Yes, of course!" :v:

Well, you got me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Since several people have bought Dominions 4 over the past few weeks I am starting a :siren: Newbie Game. If you bought Dominions 4 recently and would like to play a multiplayer game in an environment devoid of skill, talent, and anybody who knows what they're doing, then this would be the time.

Here is the link to the Private Game Servers Dom4 thread where you can learn how to sign up.

Also, Dominions 4 remains on 60% discount on Steam until January 2nd.

• Locked thread