Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001
As someone who likes reading LPs of this game but thinks it's too crazy to actually play, I would love an LP of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Libluini posted:

Once I also started recruiting researchers on a province like that. Ten turns later my first mage there died and when I read that message, I was quite surprised. Then I went back to look at the province he died in and all nine other researchers were already diseased. :shepface:

MA Ctis has a special feature where any unit that isn't cold blooded has a chance of getting diseased while in your candles. (If you don't pick a cold-blooded god they seem to be immune.) I got a throne that let me recruit sages and man those poor old dudes were dropping like flies after a year.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

How are u posted:

Since several people have bought Dominions 4 over the past few weeks I am starting a :siren: Newbie Game. If you bought Dominions 4 recently and would like to play a multiplayer game in an environment devoid of skill, talent, and anybody who knows what they're doing, then this would be the time.

Here is the link to the Private Game Servers Dom4 thread where you can learn how to sign up.

Also, Dominions 4 remains on 60% discount on Steam until January 2nd.

I am quoting myself for the new page. Also, Ermor is banned. Also, more LP updates coming tomorrow!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

How are u posted:

What's really fun is when you build a fort, temple, and lab on a province with an undiscovered Death site that spreads Diseases onto occupying units each turn. That's discouraging.

Ramc posted:

MA Ctis has a special feature where any unit that isn't cold blooded has a chance of getting diseased while in your candles. (If you don't pick a cold-blooded god they seem to be immune.) I got a throne that let me recruit sages and man those poor old dudes were dropping like flies after a year.
The first one is the game being a dick, the second is you being dumb, and I've been through both. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

The first one is the game being a dick, the second is you being dumb, and I've been through both. :v:

Hey now, sage research for cheap is sage research for cheap. I eventually put a dude with a cureall elixir in there but it was like bailing out the titanic.

Also I won that game :colbert:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:siren: Middle-Aged Newbies game has surprisingly had a bunch of people sign up, so it is now open for Pretender uploads. You can find the server and port information on brainwrinkle. There are still two open slots for the game!

Please have your pretenders uploaded in the next two days.

This is also the last time I'm going to post an announcement about this game, follow the Private Game Servers Dom4 thread for future info.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 40

On this turn we hit Blood 7!

Some of the powerful spells unlocked at Blood 7.

We still have to empower our Speaker of the Dead in one more level of Blood magic before he’ll be able to perform his most important duty:

We refocus all of our research points into Construction. We want to hit Construction 6 next so we can forge a few more really useful magic booster items. Speaking of forging, we have Kohen and Yeddeoni diligently smithing away creating more Skull Staffs, Dwarven Hammers, and Sanguine Dowsing Rods to fuel the Blood machine.

Speaking of Blood, we hauled a really great load of slaves this turn! We continue to summon packs of wolves to patrol down unrest, and I think we will soon open another blood slave hunting ground in one of our Northern provinces.

All of our remote site-searching spells cast this turn give us zilch, what a disappointment. I’m sad that we haven’t found any of the really awesome magic sites so far in this game. I think our best find was the Whispering Woods that gave us access to Enchantresses. Oh and speaking of Enchantresses, one of our Air Enchantresses has for the past several turns been forging Pills of Water Breathing, which will allow one of our Kohen Gadol to travel beneath the waves and bring the fight directly to the Xibalban rump-state that exists in our lake. The Pills also will allow the Kohen Gadol to bring several Gibborim along for the ride. Three Kohen Gadol and 15~ Gibborim should be more than enough to keep the undersea frogs busy, and eventually break down the forts and take them for ourselves.

If you're going underwater you'd better bring your own Air.

This little lake is full of frogs. We aim to stomp them.

Only two battles to report this turn. Xibalba sends some frogs to get duly smashed

Man finally takes the Throne province of Cacevic Highlands. It isn’t even an interesting battle, the few Spring Hawks that remain after The Green Knight’s slaughter are not enough to stop the Mannish army, and the Throne defense falls. We will shortly find out what Throne it is, which is good because we will also shortly be at war with Man.

I guess Caelum was attacked by some Vine Men, too.

I had the chance to confer with Pangaea again and we are still on for our Turn 44 war with Man. I think Man will likely put up a spirited fight but ultimately crumble. We will wait until Turn 45 or 46 to invade, I think. That will allow Man to start to reorient his forces towards Pan’s invasion, leaving the defense on our side of his empire weak and easy pickings. We’ll roll in and hopefully grab 7-10 provinces before Man goes AI.

Next turn: We begin an undersea adventure!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Are there any special sites that are unique to certain kinds of terrain? Or can any sort of site technically pop up in any sort of province?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just as an FYI the plague of locusts spell doesn't actually work right, because only units who are commanders can make use of the heretic tag unless this was silently fixed last patch (making it a pretty bad way to spend 111% of a vampire lord's cost!)

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Are there any special sites that are unique to certain kinds of terrain? Or can any sort of site technically pop up in any sort of province?

Underwater and caves have specific site sets. Others can only appear in a wasteland/forest/mountain/coast. I *think* there's one waterwheel site that's restricted to provinces with a river on the edge as well.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Isn't that summon fiend site on of the best free summon sites? Maybe except for that one that gives fire elementals

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

tankfish posted:

Isn't that summon fiend site on of the best free summon sites? Maybe except for that one that gives fire elementals

A single Fiend of Darkness each turn isn't going to make enough of a difference to make the site powerful. A free Fiend is awesome, and I'll take it, but if you're only getting Fiends from a single site you'll never mass enough of them to make a significant difference in battle.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

How are u posted:

A single Fiend of Darkness each turn isn't going to make enough of a difference to make the site powerful. A free Fiend is awesome, and I'll take it, but if you're only getting Fiends from a single site you'll never mass enough of them to make a significant difference in battle.

Imho such single sites can have value as deception operations. You just need 6 of them, paired with 5 other schmucks to occassionally generate spy reports of having 20 fiends or whatever.
This can be used both to appear stronger then you are, and to misdirect potential adversaries over what you are actually doing in terms of research choices.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 41

Turn 41 begins with hitting level 5 in Construction research. Odd numbered levels of Construction just give you a handful of often useless spells, and 5 is no exception. We are two turns away from hitting level 6, after which we’ll either research Enchantment or Evocation, depending on how things shake out.

Some of the summoning spells unlocked at Construction 5. They are not very useful.

Next we see that Man has claimed the Throne he took last turn:

Pretty solid Throne! Nice, diverse gem income and a discount to Evocation rituals. Evocation doesn’t have a ton of great ritual spells, but there are a handful of good ones, and the discount would definitely be useful.
None of our remote searching turned up any sites this turn, but we did pull in a ton of blood slaves.

We see the first global of the game go up this turn:

Man has put up Mother Oak, a useful, lower-tier global spell that is often the first to be cast in any given game. Mother Oak is cheap to cast at 50 Nature gems, has a low casting requirement of N5, and generates a really wonderful +10 Nature gems a turn for the caster. It’s a simple spell, but Nature gems are so supremely useful in every stage of the game that Mother Oak is actually a very solid global to have. None of this is going to save Man from the impending war, though.

There were only two scouted battle reports this turn. One was in Redbud Grove, where Caelum stomped all over AI Jomon. Redbud Grove was, I believe, where Bogarus attacked Jomon a turn or two ago under the guise of “helping” Caelum out. Bogarus and Caelum must have worked out an agreement diplomatically.

The Caelans show no mercy in victory.

We also see that Pangaea got the same “Adventurer” event that we had a few turns ago in Forest of Springs. Looks like Pan got a few N2 mages and a few H2 priests. That’s too bad for him, I’m sure he would have appreciated more magic diversity.

Cave Adventures!

We got a couple nice unexpected event this month, one of which was a simple +gold +magic item and gems event:

:homebrew:

The other gave us a Pale One Earth Reader:

Deepborn the Earth Reader isn’t impressive at first glance, but he does have W1. When we hit Construction 6 in two turns we will be able to forge him a Water Bracelet item and boost his W1 to W2, after which he’ll be able to remote search for water sites!

We continue to slowly move armies West towards our border with Man, nothing new there. This turn we are also sending our 1st Undersea Expeditionary Force beneath the waves to bring the fight to Xibalba’s underwater armies of lovely frog-men. Three Kohen Gadol outfitted with Fire Brands (AoE fire damage attack), Vine Shields (entangle anybody who attacks the wielder in melee), and Pills of Water Breathing (grant underwater breathing +give underwater breathing to up to 20 size points of units) are leading five Gibborim each from our capitol, Gath, to the underwater realm of Alluvia.

Taking the fight beneath the very waves themselves! :getin:

Next turn: Undersea adventure!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Are there even any blood-themed sites? Or only Astral, Fire, Air, Earth, Water, Nature and Death?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are fewer than for the others, almost all are pretty underwhelming.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, it's worth doing Bowl of Blood anyway for those occasional rare good blood sites, but if you skip it, you're not crippling yourself either. Mainly because your blood slave economy has no dependence on sites, whereas your gem economy is almost totally dependent on sites.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Blood economy is why Blood magic is so strong. If you're willing to put the patrols up, you can pull in hundred of slaves a turn, which translates to unlimited ammo for horror cannons.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mightypeon posted:

Imho such single sites can have value as deception operations. You just need 6 of them, paired with 5 other schmucks to occassionally generate spy reports of having 20 fiends or whatever.
This can be used both to appear stronger then you are, and to misdirect potential adversaries over what you are actually doing in terms of research choices.

In my experience most players try to keep their blood level on the down low in most circumstances. Strong blood is a huge red flag.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah half of the trick in every dominions LP ever has been sandbagging your overall strength for as long as possible because if you look big and tough you're way more liable to have an alliance of nations dogpile your rear end the way Man is about to have his rear end dogpiled in this game

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Coolguye posted:

yeah half of the trick in every dominions LP ever has been sandbagging your overall strength for as long as possible because if you look big and tough you're way more liable to have an alliance of nations dogpile your rear end the way Man is about to have his rear end dogpiled in this game

It is a fine balance to strike diplomatically between "Not a game ending threat" and "I am easy prey." Don't let them smell weakness.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, it's worth doing Bowl of Blood anyway for those occasional rare good blood sites, but if you skip it, you're not crippling yourself either. Mainly because your blood slave economy has no dependence on sites, whereas your gem economy is almost totally dependent on sites.

Also, the blood discount sites are really, really good to have. 33% off all blood spells? Yes please, forever.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sullat posted:

Also, the blood discount sites are really, really good to have. 33% off all blood spells? Yes please, forever.

If you find one of those sites as even a somewhat-capable Blood nation then you have won the game.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

How are u posted:

If you find one of those sites as even a somewhat-capable Blood nation then you have won the game.

First game I ever won; I found one as Mictlan... right next to my capital. Good times.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 42

Turn 42 begins with another round of failed remote site-searches. Whatever. None of that matters, because

:stare:

:unsmigghh:

We name him Adam, for he is the first of his kind:

Look at how wonderful he is: 3 Death and 3 Blood is versatile for casting all sorts of nasty battlefield spells. He has a little bit of innate Regeneration, Slash and Blunt resistances (takes half damage from attacks of those types), and 25 points of Invulnerability (basically 25 Protection against non-magical attacks). He is Undead, so he comes with the benefits and drawbacks inherent to that status. He can Fly, is Stealthy, and most importantly of all he is Immortal. If he dies anywhere in our Dominion he will be resurrected the next turn in our Capitol. Immortal units also slowly heal afflictions over time. Vampires are very robust, very mobile, very sneaky, and have the paths to cast great spells that will drive opponents nuts. With this act the Nation of Gath is casting off all pretense of being a force for Good and Justice in this world. We've placed a single toe across a line that cannot be un-crossed. We've invited the living-dead into our home, and they cannot be sent away.

Here’s how we kit him out:

We’ve given him a Skull Staff for +1 to Death magic, which will let him cast more spells, harder, and for longer.

Additionally, we’ve equipped him with Boots of the Messenger for some environmental bonuses and +3 reinvigoration, and a Girdle of Might for +3 Strength and +3 reinvigoration.

Those trinkets are cheap to forge (using our Dwarven Hammers), and the cumulative +6 reinvigoration they bestow is very useful for drawn-out battles.

Adam's first job is to summon another Vampire, as will Speaker of the Dead. Next turn we’ll have two more, and we will continue to summon as many Vampires a turn as we are able for as long as we are able. We can never have too many.

Battle reports for this turn were just a couple of attempts by Xibalba to attack us from the sea, and then our own invasion of Alluvia:

It's better down where it's wetter!

Blasting disgusting ocean creatures with Holy fire! :cthulhu:

We stomp all over the meagre defenses, but our undersea expedition is going to move East instead of stay to siege the fort. We want to move to the Easternmost lake province so that we can block any attempt by Pangaea to enter our pond.

The rest of the turn is spent moving more troops towards the border with Man.

Next turn: More Vampires! More undersea battles!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So are all the summoned vampire lords going to be set to the task of summoning more vampire lords? Because exponential vampire hordes sounds awesome. Do they have any weaknesses other than general undead-targeting stuff?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They can't go in the sea, and they're a bit weak to fire.

edit - and they can't cross rivers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

So are all the summoned vampire lords going to be set to the task of summoning more vampire lords? Because exponential vampire hordes sounds awesome. Do they have any weaknesses other than general undead-targeting stuff?

It's exponential...as long as you can afford it. Curse of Blood costs 77 Blood Slaves to cast. We pulled in 118 slaves this turn. You have to be blood hunting pretty dang hard to summon more than a couple Vampire Lords a turn.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

How are u posted:

It's exponential...as long as you can afford it. Curse of Blood costs 77 Blood Slaves to cast. We pulled in 118 slaves this turn. You have to be blood hunting pretty dang hard to summon more than a couple Vampire Lords a turn.

What's the combat plan with Vampires? Horde of Skeletons? Thugging?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

goatface posted:

They can't go in the sea, and they're a bit weak to fire.

edit - and they can't cross rivers.

The immortality being limited to within your domain matters a lot, too. Fantastic on defense, but when you're trying to attack a neighbor with decent dominion, they can start to take out your vamps in a permanent way, and that's a lot of slaves' worth of stuff to lose, not to mention whatever you kitted them with.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Vampires (both troops and lords) are a pretty great deterrent.
Being flying, invisible and immortal means that, if you have a sufficient amount of castles, siegeing you becomes incredibly iffy.

They are also great in laying traps for many kinds of thugs. Being undead, they are immune to a number of thug defenses, and they also fly meaning that they can pop many riders before they get their defensive buffs (mistform etc.) done.

And if some thugs killed your defensive vamp swarms, well, they are immortal so no real damage done.

Vamp characters are in a way less immortal then normal vamps, because their equipment is still lost when they die.

Being fliers, they can also swing that one big pivotal battle in your favor if your adversary insufficently prepared for it.

On the other hand, having too many Vampires can put a target on your back. Noone who tried to take a very heavy Vamp nation once will be particular interested in repeating the experience, and Vamps may let to the development of balancing coalitions.

Like with most scary stuff, you have to carefully weigh deterrence vs. badboy factor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In this case, I'm like the Anti-How Are U: I hate Vampires and blood magic so much I quite often can't bring myself to use them, and suffer horribly as a result.

It maybe weird that I see nothing wrong with killing thousands of people using magical plagues, but I just tend to get depressed when seeing bloodslaves die in battle. When other players see me using blood magic, I will either use it hesitantly and very badly, or I'll go all-out but only make horrors and general horror-related fuckery to make the world a horrible, horrible place. If you see me dropping horrors, it basically means I've given up and now work actively at ruining the world and other players fun. It's like an entire fake fantasy nation has been gripped suddenly by terrible self-loathing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, I forgot again. My turns:

:frogsiren: It's Caelum-Time :frogsiren:

Caelum Turn 40

Here I'm slowly crushing AI Jomon under my heels, while talking some about the situation at Redbud Grove, now vacated by Bogarus.

Caelum Turn 41

AI Jomon is still fighting the good fight against the menace of terrible birds. Also, I'm talking about how Bogarus could be a future enemy after we run out of AI-territory to eat. In hindsight it's pretty funny how I spend quite some time fretting about Bogarus leaving the game. (Both Jomon and Mictlan's players went AI just when I was gearing up to invade them, which created a lot of tedious, uninteresting battles.)

Most recent:

Caelum Turn 42

Still a lot of time spend fighting off tons of small armies. AI Jomon recruits units (sometimes even good ones) like a mad motherfucker. But in this turn I take Jomon itself and kill it's dumb pretender, so I don't care from here on out. AI Jomon is now a walking corpse and just has to be put down. New plan: Eat AI Mictlan. (Because guess which player exited the game just when I was planning his demise? :shepface: )

Second Edit: Apparently I was wrong and How Are U told me Mictlan didn't go AI this early. Looks like I just misremembered because Mictlan's player was so silent I can't even remember ever talking to him. At some point I just suddenly noticed: "Oh, he's AI too? Bummer."

Edit:

Just in case, for those interested, my older turns:

Late Age Caelum's Adventures in Multiplayerland

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 3, 2017

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

How are u posted:

Turn 42
Vampires!

Next turn: More Vampires! More undersea battles!

Mankind ill needs a pretender such as you!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bozart posted:

Mankind ill needs a pretender such as you!

The Nation of Gath is Mankind's only hope!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

The Nation of Gath is Mankind's only hope!

What... is a (giant) man?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ramc posted:

What... is a (giant) man?

A miserable... really pretty big, I guess... pile of secrets!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 43

Turn 43 begins with research breakthroughs in Construction and Evocation. We now have Construction 6, and we can forge some of the most powerful non-artifact items in the game. Our W2 Enchantress immediately forges a Water Bracelet that our Earth Reader will then use to search for water sites on the Eastern side of our empire. We also set a Kohen Gadol to forge a Starshine Skullcap each turn:

Starshine Skullcap's are super useful +1 Astral booster items, and since our Earth and Astral Geddeoni have the paths to forge a different Astral booster we will soon have the means to boost our Astral 2 Kohen Gadol to Astral 4, with which they can cast the remote assassination-spell Mind Hunt. Having the option available to us could be useful in the future.

We see that Pangaea has claimed their first Throne:

Pretty good Throne. Reinvigoration is always useful, although +1 is minor. +3 Earth gems a turn is nice, and it allows the recruitment of Gnomes. Gnomes are E2N2 mages, both paths that Pangaea has in abundance, so that’s kind of useless for him.

These dudes are amazing if your nation doesn't have native access to Nature or Earth magic.

Our remote site-searching this turn found a couple of sites for a total of +1 Water and +1 Nature gem a turn. Our water income is still hilariously low, useful only for forging a couple of boosters.

We captured a boat-load of blood slaves this turn, which is great because we also summoned two more Vampires! We name them Cain and Abel. We’re summoning two more Vamps next turn, and we are also empowering Abel to Blood 4 so he can begin to forge Blood boosting items. Because we don’t have enough slaves to summon three Vamps next turn Cain is set to “summon allies”, which will produce one Vampire unit each turn per Vampire Lord performing the action.

Our one battle this turn took place underwater:

Turns out non-amphibious troops take big stat penalties underwater!

We lost 5 Gibborim!! :sad: Our undersea force is moving East to White Water, the Easternmost of the lake provinces. There they will sit and siege and hopefully eventually break down the fort.

We got a few vaguely interesting events this turn. One was +10 province defense, the other a handful of mixed gems. We also got this:

A characterful yet somewhat annoying event. The event actually spawns a stealthy, independent boar unit in the province which raises unrest over time until it is discovered and killed. Dead Forest, the province this event occurred in, actually has a fair amount of PD (25) so will probably end up rooting out this problem on its own over time.

I’m unsure whether Pangaea is going to launch his invasion of Man next turn. Our NAP with Man expires next turn and I feel it would be a little bit rude to attack on the same turn it expires, so we will wait one more turn. Besides, we could use the extra turn to do just that last bit of research cramming to give us a few spells that could prove useful.

Next turn: More Vampires, more aquatic adventure, the turn before the War.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

A characterful yet somewhat annoying event. The event actually spawns a stealthy, independent boar unit in the province which raises unrest over time until it is discovered and killed. Dead Forest, the province this event occurred in, actually has a fair amount of PD (25) so will probably end up rooting out this problem on its own over time.

It's even more annoying if it happens multiple times in the same turn, or in provinces bordering nations with good nature paths. Because then you immediately know someone is getting cheeky with the Monster Boar spell...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Barely any nations can start making GBS threads pigs all over your slave hunting grounds. You can work out who it is.

• Locked thread