Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Angry Lobster posted:

Nice, Dominions LP's are great. One question, isn't dom 6 a little bit low if you intend to rely on sacreds for a while though? Recruiting only six capital-only sacreds per turn seems a bit of a waste with a double bless but I haven't played a single game of Dom4 yet, so I don't know poo poo.

Part of this could be mitigated by two things I think.

The first is that his blocker man sacreds can be recruited from any fort with a temple, so he'll still manage to make a bunch.

The second is that because it is a mo money game building a lot of temples to increase his dominion score should be easier than in a normal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Do not let the game intimidate you. It is entirely possible, once you get the basics in single player, to jump into a multiplayer game and win.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

You should move to Discord. IIRC you can get IRC bots that function on discord servers and anyone can create the server.

never

Angry Lobster posted:

This, as far as I know, being a magnificient bastard in the diplomatic game can carry you through a game, even if you understanding of game mechanics isn't great.

And when in doubt, ask Nuclearmonkee how to kill something with the tools you have on hand.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mr Toes posted:

I think I'm another for the 'love watching games play out, but would almost certainly hate playing it'. It seems like a particularly punishing 4X, and I have a horrible feeling that Id get to a certain point and discover that my god is poo poo / my scales are bollocks / I've forgotten to build an army, at which point I'd be utterly steamrolled.

Still, respect for you guys who can hold all that information (including the bugs) in your head!

You know, oddly enough there aren't really any bugs of note that come to mind with the game?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

Another overly complicated game is that fun as hell to watch, but I'd never play even if I could afford to. :v:

Will be following this LP.

You would like it there are Arena Death Match events, arena buddy.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Barbarians will berserk and thus not rout at all too.

That one lone barbarian must be Conan as gently caress.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Conan music is amazing and, no joke, I actually used to put that track on while reading Dominion 3 LPs years and years ago haha. Official thread soundtrack!

Then you will love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm probably posting way too much, but it's been a rough day, so one more for the road.

You cannot increase your Dominion score in-game outside of MAYBE some extremely rare events like claiming certain thrones (I'm not familiar with the effects of them all); like the bless effects, it's set in stone at the start. However, you can in practice bolster most of the effects Dominion has by building more temples. More temples means more successful temple checks regardless of your Dominion score, and temples even have the side benefit of raising the cap on how many Sacred units you can recruit in a turn just like higher domscore would. However, I don't think there's any normal way of increasing your innate Domscore or gaining the innate awe effect of 9 or 10 domscore if you don't already have it. Even Wishing for 'Dominion' just gives you candles, and similarly I believe that Wishing for magic paths can raise your Pretender's innate magic paths but will not improve their bless from the start of the game, nor can losing magic paths harm your bless from the start of the game (unless Dom4 has changed this, but I see no sources claiming as much).

I think building temples helps your chargen dom score, or it at the least helps it for the purposes of recruiting uniques as it gives you more 'holy points' for recruitment purposes.

(Domkilling is very effective. TopSnek is in its final stages because I have gone whole-hog EA Pan bloodsac.)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

MA C'tis has a dominion that can cause non-cold-blooded units to get diseases. It's a good one to push.

It is pretty funny when you get some good indie mages like sages and start to slowly kill them all too. Well 'funny'. You have to see the humor in the situation at least.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

It also decreases enemy income and boosts yours for every dominion point, but it can be a double edged sword if you try to push it too agresively because you can give someone an excuse to form a coalition against you.

True that. Basically tanking your own scales with the 'clever' idea to spread that to neighbors isn't so hot without one of these additional meta reasons.

I am playing a game as MA Ulm with fantastic scales and when my dom extends into neighbors I feel like they owe me for the favor :colbert:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Nah, aside from summoning in a bunch of large demonic locusts with Heretic, it doesn't look like Blood has any means via spells to reduce candles. They're not stealthy and it's not a particularly good attack spell either as they're pretty lovely units. It does cost 88 slaves though, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Oh bonus because of how it works it makes one leader locust with a bunch of unit locust and guess what the heretic flag that lowers candles ~doesn't work if you are a unit~.

A vampire lord costs 77 slaves in contrast.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The armies of a domkilled player disappear at the end of the turn they got domkilled on. You still need to siege down forts but they have no defenders to slow the process down.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

tankfish posted:

Well just had my EA game end with string of bad luck events . Then through other events became king of the goats which now I know causes dragon attacks. Said dragon kills my pretender and torches my cap. Rest in piece Billy the Gruff Snake king of goats.

A very relevant new post from the Dominions 4 thread in Games.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

If there was a :capitalism: emoji but for Dominions this is where I'd use it.

:xcom:

Is close in spirit.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

tankfish posted:

I'm the one who got torched by a dragon as far I can figure it the goat dragon event happens when you got too many of the buggers in one place. Maybe it works like horror marks? No idea about goats one shotting trolls but it would be a neat easter egg. Also please gift of reason the goats the world needs to suffer the iron hoof of goat supremacy.

goat marks

Ramc
May 4, 2008

goatface posted:

That was just a horde from hell casting wasn't it?

Probably it was. It could have been a magic phase attack. Who would make a Horde from Hell attack unit on their own?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

I mean, there's other reasons to stick to the end.

In the newbie game I was in I was reduced down to my cap circle for a lot of the early game, but came back to win it after two of the people in the dogpile hosed off after I ate a cap siege stack and the third went AI for IRL reasons. Then I ate him. Then the world. It was good it is in Baudin's MY LP thread in the OP.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

I wonder if it was possible to edit your turn file to add that script to commanders even without having bogus and co, assuming you know how the turn file is encoded of course. My guess is that it was possible, I doubt there would be a check that checks if you have bogus before accepting a turn file with that script.

Would people consider that cheating? I remember a lot of people didn't consider using the script to be against the rules if you have bogus. You're not technically hacking the game, you would be submitting a turn file the game accepts.

What Would Modpud Do?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

It's worth noting that while relentless in some respects, the AI is profoundly dumb in others. Units siegeing down a fortress will stay there come hell or high water until the fort is broken. With some forethought you can pretty much mire an enemy army/god/whatever on a convenient fort until you are ready to deal with them. In TopSnek, once Arco went AI his invincible gorgon earth snek got caught on a flypaper fortress full of maenads and did nothing ever again.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Thug_lyfe.png

:in extremely crocodile dundee voice: "That's not a thug."

"THIS..."

"...is a thug!"

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Uhhhh I have a troll riding a giant moose. Check fuckin' mate.

b-b-but look at my expensive vanity project that was never strategically important!

(Everyone post thugs)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Voyager I posted:

If we give the chaff real armor, how are they supposed to trigger blood vengeance???

Now you are getting it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay me to bash my head against this game.

What if Decrepus paid you to play it.

Payment in the form of a copy of Dominions Four.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Once I also started recruiting researchers on a province like that. Ten turns later my first mage there died and when I read that message, I was quite surprised. Then I went back to look at the province he died in and all nine other researchers were already diseased. :shepface:

MA Ctis has a special feature where any unit that isn't cold blooded has a chance of getting diseased while in your candles. (If you don't pick a cold-blooded god they seem to be immune.) I got a throne that let me recruit sages and man those poor old dudes were dropping like flies after a year.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

The first one is the game being a dick, the second is you being dumb, and I've been through both. :v:

Hey now, sage research for cheap is sage research for cheap. I eventually put a dude with a cureall elixir in there but it was like bailing out the titanic.

Also I won that game :colbert:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mightypeon posted:

Imho such single sites can have value as deception operations. You just need 6 of them, paired with 5 other schmucks to occassionally generate spy reports of having 20 fiends or whatever.
This can be used both to appear stronger then you are, and to misdirect potential adversaries over what you are actually doing in terms of research choices.

In my experience most players try to keep their blood level on the down low in most circumstances. Strong blood is a huge red flag.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Coolguye posted:

yeah half of the trick in every dominions LP ever has been sandbagging your overall strength for as long as possible because if you look big and tough you're way more liable to have an alliance of nations dogpile your rear end the way Man is about to have his rear end dogpiled in this game

It is a fine balance to strike diplomatically between "Not a game ending threat" and "I am easy prey." Don't let them smell weakness.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

The Nation of Gath is Mankind's only hope!

What... is a (giant) man?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

All that said, I found out recently that the AI is at least capable of fielding and using communions. When you're not expecting it, that can be tremendously lovely to just run into randomly.

I think that the AI will not change- or is unlikely to change- existing scripts once you go AI. So sometimes you will run into an AI blob that still has a vein of nasty human malice woven into a tapestry otherwise composed of terminal stupidity.

That said, the AI is allegedly now better at cultivating and preserving ritual casters now?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

Do events count as income for the graphs?

Because if they don't, uh...

They sure doooo~ooon't.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Decrepus posted:

This guy gets it.

Give him a copy of dom4 imo

Ramc
May 4, 2008

SIGSEGV posted:

If only it was like in conquest of elysium when having level 3 in a magic path allows you to cast 2 level 2 spells or 3 level 1 spells instead of a level 3 spell then it would be more easily doable.

MA Tien C'hi can manage it with their geomancers. They are S1/E1 mages that are way cheap and you can hire them in any fort. Once you have enough you can set up a communion to make them all S3/E3 and drop rocks all day. It's good.

Slifter posted:

If lines 1, 3, and 5 are actual games with a thread I be really interested in a link to them.

3 has an commemorative image by its perpetrator famed hellfucker Nuclearmonkee:

Also looking for that image I found this possibly soon to be relevant image in Nuclearmonkee's post history:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Personally, I think that the Dominions "world" is full of unlimited potential as an awesome setting for an RPG. There could be epic adventures traversing the world of Dominions; from the depths of the Smoldercone to the Hall of Firey Justice in Marignon, to the frozen spires of Caelum and the dark, flooded cavern cities of Xibalba.

Imagine the moment where the party is woken up in the middle of the night by a panicking populace because the sun has risen. Then the reaction when the actual sun rises to join it six hours later.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

The problem with Liches is esssentially that if you're a big D nation you're probably going to have recruitable D4 casters (or at least D3 and enough D income to empower one to D4), so why would you need them? On the other hand, if you're not a big D nation it doesn't really make sense to research all the way up to Ench 8 just for Liches.

They can be useful if you're planning on going deep into Enchantment anyway as they let you bootstrap yourself to D6 casters from recruitable D2 casters, but that's more of a bonus than anything else.

Is Lichcraft Enchantment or Thaumaturgy?

Anyway whenever liches show up they seem to be an afterthought to some other scheme, yeah.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Where did Pan dig up Dust Walkers? Buried in Sand?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Only EA Pan has blood sacrifice. MA and LA don't, but you can always use stealth preaching dryads to push dominion.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Voyager I posted:

This is probably less effective in a MoMoney game where you can just put 60 wolves on patrol in every province to go along with the obligatory Fort/Lab/Temple.

Sort of. In MA Pan games, which have the nasty stealth sacred White Centaurs I have been sneaking through lands and been found, only to murder the entire province defense because White Centaurs are good.

LA Pan has fewer stealth unit options.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

This sounds like propaganda and I can't be fooled by your propaganda because I've already bought in to the vampire horde propaganda :colbert:

One day the vampire hordes will get elected and bring back all the coal mining jobs to my town or so is my understanding.

"I didn't think Vampires would drain MY blood!" says area man who voted for Vampires Draining People's Blood Party.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I still like Vengeful Waters because it can still potentially kill commanders and wizards, if not reliably, and that uncertainty makes anyone invading you commit additional resources or risk having their army stranded.

You can pair Vengeful Waters with Foul Air- the global that causes anyone not-underwater taking damage to become diseased (stopping healing and making them lose about 10% of their max hp every turn). That way all the water elemental needs to do is tag the victim once, win or lose, to ensure eventual death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

So if I am understanding this right, Gath is a nation with a ruling class dominated by literal giants, a soldiery dominated by vampires and demons, and a police force made up almost exclusively of wolves? Like, feral wolves? And their economy is completely dependent on - and centered around - the execution of ordinary humans?

Giants and vampires and wolves seem like an unlikely coalition, and I can't imagine why you would stay in Gath if you were just a farmer or something. But I guess the wolves probably make pretty effective emigration police too if there are enough of them.

There are not necessarily better places to go in Dominions 4.

EDIT: I would play a Dominions 4 themed game of Papers, Please.

• Locked thread