Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was a bigger/badder thing for America?
Big Box Stores
Dotcom/Tech
This question and the answers for it are both complicated and stupid and I have a totally different take on the matter.
View Results

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
It's true that they practiced predatory business tactics to drive small business out of the market though. That's pretty obvious.

And I'm not just talking about having cheaper prices, I'm talking about operating at a loss and selling items below cost just to drive out competition (exactly what Amazon has done to many small businesses operated by Americans online).

Being an entrepreneur in the USA has become incredibly difficult, from the standpoint of the average citizen wanting to start a business (not a venture capitalist with tons of cash to throw around). Many people have just given up and started selling through Amazon or eBay which take a hefty 15% off the top which eats into profit margins quite a bit. Would be nice if a presidential candidate addressed this instead of just saying they'll create more jobs (which to me is just doublespeak for 'business friendly' policies).

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

satanic splash-back posted:

Are you suggesting America is a capitalist society??

Well you say that like this stuff is all kosher but in reality the USA is not a totally free market society and there are rules and laws in place to prevent the natural monopolization of markets.

It's just that recently big interests have managed to skirt those rules because they have powerful lobby interests; and it doesn't help that our politicians literally don't know what the internet is or how it functions.

Everyone knows WalMart was dumping at the very least but no small business had the funding to fight their legal teams over it. Amazon is doing the same thing now.

This is from 2001:

quote:

The complaint accused Wal-Mart of selling butter, milk, laundry detergent, and other staple goods below cost at stores in Beloit, Oshkosh, Racine, Tomah, and West Bend. A bottle of laundry detergent that cost Wal-Mart $6.51, for example, was sold for less than $5 at several stores. The company’s intention, according to the complaint, was to force competitors out of business, gain a monopoly in local markets, and ultimately recoup its losses through higher prices. State officials filed the complaint after Wal-Mart failed to take corrective action following several warning letters sent as early as 1993.

Although most, if not all, states have received numerous complaints from small business owners about Wal-Mart’s anti-competitive practices, Wisconsin is the first state to investigate predatory pricing at the company’s outlets and file a formal complaint.

e: and 2000

quote:

In Oklahoma, Crest Foods, a three-store supermarket chain, filed a predatory pricing suit against Wal-Mart. The suit contends that Wal-Mart sold goods below cost at its store in Edmond in order to force Crest Foods out of business. Wal-Mart employees—including on one occasion former chief executive David Glass himself—regularly visited the Crest store to monitor prices. According to the suit, Wal-Mart then targeted price cuts to undermine Crest Foods, often dipping well below its own costs to beat out its rival. Such tactics are illegal under two state laws, the Unfair Sales Act and the Antitrust Reform Act. The suit is expected to go to trial in about one year.

Lotta good came from that haha.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 19, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Y-Hat posted:

i can't see a repeat of the breakup of at&t happening in this day and age. yes i know that it was literally the only phone company up until that point, but there are enough people bought out to say that this is actually a good thing

Yeah if they wouldn't do it to the banks after 2008 it's not happening. There's plenty of companies holding an effective monopoly over their market today, many approaching AT&T levels.

Hell I remember when Microsoft was about to get broken up for being a monopoly. The DoJ has no teeth at all anymore.

• Locked thread