Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:spooky: Welcome to the official October Horror Movie Challenge thread! :spooky:

What is the challenge?
Every year during the month of October, this thread haunts CineD for everyone to set a personal goal of horror or Halloween-related movies. The amount of movies is up to the participant, but traditional goals are either 13 or 31. Goals can be vague (“I am just going to watch 31 movies”) or specific (“I am going to watch 13 horror movies I’ve never seen, and they must feature werewolves.”), or you can plan an endurance test and watch “as many as possible” before November 1st. It’s up to you.

How do I participate?
Set your goal. Watch movies. Post here. Tell us why you liked it, tell us what you hated, talk about your movies, get ideas.

When does it start?
The challenge officially starts on October 1st, but CineD has a lot of horror-enthusiasts that have already started preparing or watching their horror movies, so posting can start now and we’ll generate buzz.

I didn’t find this thread until a few weeks in!
That’s okay, this is a personal challenge. If you still want to participate, claim your goals and start as soon as you can!

What should I watch?
The next post will be an info dump of movie schedules, marathons, links and threads to check out.

:cenobite::cthulhu::cry::devil::drac::zombie::ghost::hb::suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren:UPDATED 9/30 to include more Netflix movies:siren:

:ghost: Are there any good threads for this?
You can check out arguably the best thread in CineD, the Horror megathread. With 1200 pages of information and recommendations, this should be your number one stop. There's also the exploitation thread, the psychological horror thread, and the Recommend Me thread. There are also movie-specific threads for some recent movies that were well-received, like The VVitch, Green Room, and the mixed-reviewed new Blair Witch

:ghost: How can I watch movies with other goons?

Scream Stream 4
Every year, Lurdiak does the Scream Stream, with a good variety of movies, prizes, and a built-in audience. The schedule is top secret, so you have to tune in to find out.

:ghost: What's on the big screen?
Blair Witch
Don't Breathe
Lights Out
Rob Zombie's 31 (select theaters)
Antibirth (select theaters)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Shin Godzilla/Godzilla Resurgence (Oct. 11; select theaters)
Phantasm Ravager (select theaters on specific days)
Phantasm Remaster (Sept. 24th ONLY; select theaters)
Young Frankenstein (Fathom event; Oct. 5th)
The Shining (Fathom event; Oct. 23 & 26th)
Frankenstein Live ENCORE (Fathom Event; Oct. 25th)
RiffTrax Live: Carnival of Souls (Fathom event; Oct. 27th ONLY)

:ghost: I prefer to suckle on the boob tube.
Turner Classic Movies has released their schedule, including The Haunting, Cat People and Curse of the Cat People
SyFy channel has not released a schedule
AMC FearFest 2016 runs from Sunday, October 16 through Tuesday, October 31 but has not released a schedule
Freeform's 13 Nights of Halloween
Disney's Monstober for family-friendly bullshit.
American Horror Story is back for a sixth season.
Scream Queens is back for a second season.

:ghost: What's on streaming? (Subject to change)

SHUDDER, the horror streaming site. Totally worth it for the month of October, but I've only heard positive things in general.

NETFLIX
Darling
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
Stranger Things
The Babadook
Baskin
Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil
Jaws (and sequels)
Scary Movie 1 & 2
Sleepy Hollow
The Vampires Coffin
We Are What We Are
Creep
Re-Animator
The Legend of Hell House
The Addams Family
Corpse Bride
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Invitation
Hellraiser series
Deathgasm
Event Horizon
Extraordinary Tales
Holidays
They Look Like People
The Fly (with Vincent Price)
Stitches
We Are Still Here
The Brainiac
Ava's Possessions
V/H/S 1, 2 & Viral
Hush
The Sacrament
The Hallow
Final Destination 3
John Dies At The End
Bad Milo
The Awakening
He Never Died
The Exorcist
Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue
Nightbreed
The 'Burbs
Troll Hunter
Children of the Corn
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
The Twilight Zone series

AMAZON PRIME has a deal with Shudder, where you can watch most of it's catalog, and there's also a lot of overlap with Netflix's catalog.
Rob Zombie's 31 (R-Rated version; for rent - $10)
The VVitch

HULU
(thanks Wilhelm Scream)
Kwaidan
Horror Express
House on Haunted Hill '58
Sisters
The Blob '58
House
I Was a Teenage Zombie
Jigoku
The Cars That Ate Paris
The Vanishing '88
Equinox
Fiend without a Face
Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
Corridors of Blood
The Most Dangerous Game
Vampyr
Kuroneko
Cure
Tokyo Gore Police
Rammbock: Berlin Undead
The Woman
Children of the Corn '84
The Living Skeleton
Deadgirl
Maniac Cop
Maniac Cop 2
The House of the Devil
Them (Ils)
Ginger Snaps
Day of the Dead '85
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
Trollhunter
C.H.U.D.
Cassadaga
The Brood
Scanners
The House on Sorority Row
The Collector
Grizzly
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Demons

HALLOWEEN/HORROR DOCS
Never Sleep Again
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue
The American Scream
Machete Maidens Unleashed
A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss
Cropsey

YOUTUBE
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Full Moon offers their own schlocky streaming service.
Troma has most of their movies for free on YouTube
Fear Haus is a small indie production showcasing short films from up-and-coming filmmakers in a midnight-movie format
80s Horror offers less common 80's movies streaming for free

:ghost: What about Halloween music? I want spooky tunes
Halloween All Year is a Halloween playlist that avoids the (terrible) novelty songs in favor of good music that works for the spooky season, with almost every (listenable) genre covered.
Bump In The Night: a playlist by forums users Choco1980
Halloween Radio (.net) is a free streaming radio service with fantastic variety and lots of 80's goodness.
Halloween Radio (.com) same as above, but different selection.
Jack-O-Juke (suggested by Choco1980)
Dash Radio has a Horror channel (suggested by CortezFantastic)

:ghost: I just like funny pics of people being scared.
Nightmares Fear Factory 2016 thread

:siren:If there are any good movies (added/taken down), (legal) streaming sources, resources, comments/complaints, please send me a direct message so I can update this post.:siren:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 10, 2016

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I can't wait for October to start. I already have about a dozen movies recorded or on DVD, and a ton of stuff bookmarked on YouTube and Netflix. TCM may end up occupying most of my time though. Their October schedule is insanely good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was going to use this opportunity to watch everything Mario Bava's directed, but some of his films seem almost impossible to track down. Is there a decent streaming site which has them all?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is my third year doing the challenge, although for me the real challenge is waiting until October 1st. I fail miserably every year.

Anyway, since we're towards the top of the first page, I'm going to post some theme ideas for people like me who enjoy grouping movies together and watching a bunch in a row based on a single theme. With a lot of these its pretty easy to give yourself a complete primer on a sub-genre of horror, which is a great way to get the most out of the October challenge. The list of examples under each category are obviously very limited, plenty of room to add your own favorites. I highly recommend picking up a Shudder subscription, you can drop it at the end of October it'll get you access to a lot of great stuff.

Sci-fi/Horror: Planet of the Vampires, Alien, The Thing, Lifeforce, Re-Animator(Netflix)From Beyond, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Fly, Hellraiser 1 & 2(Netflix), Event Horizon(Netflix), Under the Skin(Prime)

Evolution of the Slasher: Psycho, Blood and Black Lace, Bay of Blood(Shudder), Deep Red(Shudder), Black Christmas, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp(Shudder), Scream.

Gothic Horror: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Curse of Frankenstein, Black Sunday(Shudder), Black Sabbath(Shudder) Kill, Baby, Kill!, The Pit and the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death, Sleepy Hollow(Netflix), Crimson Peak.

Horror/Comedy: An American Werewolf in London, Return of the Living Dead,Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Gremlins, Tremors(Prime), Slither, (HBOGO), Drag Me to Hell, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil(Netflix), Housebound(Netflix)

Draculafest: Nosferatu(Prime)Dracula(1931), Horror of Dracula, Nosferatu The Vampyre(Shudder), Dracula(starring Frank Langella), Dracula(starring Jack Palance)(Hulu), Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dracula 2000.

The Weird World of Italian Horror: Lisa and the Devil(Shudder), Suspiria, Inferno, City of the Living Dead(Shudder), The Beyond(Shudder), The Church(Shudder), Demons(Shudder)

Anthology: Tales of Terror, Twice Told Tales, Tales From the Crypt, The House that Dripped Blood, Creepshow, Creepshow 2, Tales From the Darkside(Hulu), Tales From the Hood, Chillerama(Shudder), Trick R Treat

Creature Feature: Creature From the Black Lagoon, Jaws(Netflix), The Relic(Netflix), Piranha 3D(Shudder), Cujo(Netflix), The Mist(Prime), Troll Hunter(Netflix)

Hopefully this gives a few people some ideas for at least doing some fun double features.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's a great list, and it gave me a few new suggestions.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Hulu does have a pretty big selection of Horror movies...

Horror Express
House on Haunted Hill '58
Sisters
The Blob '58
House
I Was a Teenage Zombie
Jigoku
The Cars That Ate Paris
The Vanishing '88
Equinox
Fiend without a Face
Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
Corridors of Blood
The Most Dangerous Game
Vampyr
Kuroneko
Cure
Tokyo Gore Police
Rammbock: Berlin Undead
The Woman
Children of the Corn '84
The Living Skeleton
Deadgirl
Maniac Cop
Maniac Cop 2
The House of the Devil
Them (Ils)
Ginger Snaps
Day of the Dead '85
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
Trollhunter
C.H.U.D.
Cassadaga
The Brood
Scanners
The House on Sorority Row
The Collector
Grizzly
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Demons

and tons more

And there's more from Full Moon and their Showtime add-on as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Wilhelm, I'll add that list to the info post

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was going to use this opportunity to watch everything Mario Bava's directed, but some of his films seem almost impossible to track down. Is there a decent streaming site which has them all?

Not all of them, but if you want to focus on Bava, Shudder is the way to go. Black Sunday, Black Sabbath, Kill, Baby Kill!, Bay of Blood, The Whip and the Body, and Lisa and the Devil are all there, plus a few I'm probably forgetting.

The problem with Bava is that one of the keystones to his entire career is Blood and Black Lace, and its not available for streaming anywhere(even as a paid rental). I finally gave in and bought the Arrow blu ray and was not disappointed in the least.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Once more I'm going to attempt to watch 31 horror films that I haven't seen. Last year I went in wondering if I would just have to watch 31 days of the worst and wound up discovering the films of Nobuo Nakagawa and watched almost everything of his that had been translated into English and I finally got to dig into the classic Hammer films. What am I going to find this time?

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Hulu does have a pretty big selection of Horror movies...

Kwaidan is on Hulu as well and everyone needs to have seen that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

The problem with Bava is that one of the keystones to his entire career is Blood and Black Lace, and its not available for streaming anywhere(even as a paid rental). I finally gave in and bought the Arrow blu ray and was not disappointed in the least.

I might just end up doing that. It seems like a surprising number of his more obscure films can be found on Youtube and Dailymotion, although the quality is less than ideal.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Oh drat are we already this close to October? I've slowed down in my movie watching considerably but I might just start early this year and finally watch the back log of horror I've been sitting on since November.

I don't know what it is but come November 1st it's like the high is over, then come September you just can't wait to get going again.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have been excited for this for like, a full month. I started three years ago where I Ironman myself for watching only horror films that are new to me (ie, haven't watched before) and try to top the number in the 31 days that I hit the year before. Right now my bar is set for :spooky:60 films:spooky: let's see if I can top it!

Also, there are a few more big screen flicks to watch for. Phantasm Ravager (ie part 5) will be in select theaters on select days, I'd check the distributor, Well Go USA to see if it'll be near you. The Alamo Drafthouse near my mom is playing it Saturday the 8th, and she's been wanting to visit soon, might have to visit her instead that weekend. Also, Shin Godzilla is playing in select theaters the week of October 11th, and I'd definitely call that one of the more horror tinged entries in the epic franchise.

Also, also, is someone going to start an all-purpose Halloween thread this year as well separate from the challenge reports?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I do this every year, and have already started (I do 40 movies in 40-ish nights). I try to watch films I've never seen before. So far I've watched:

#1 - Carnival of Souls (1962) - First time I've seen this classic, it was fantastic

#2 - Puppet Master (1989) - Goofy as poo poo

#3 - Bite (2015) - Good/gross practical effects but mediocre everything else

I also write a short blog entry for each movie, mostly for my own amusement and to share with facebook friends - if anyone is interested it's at http://40nightsofterror.blogspot.com/, I'd welcome any comments/criticism/etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Daveski posted:

I do this every year, and have already started (I do 40 movies in 40-ish nights). I try to watch films I've never seen before. So far I've watched:

#1 - Carnival of Souls (1962) - First time I've seen this classic, it was fantastic

#2 - Puppet Master (1989) - Goofy as poo poo

#3 - Bite (2015) - Good/gross practical effects but mediocre everything else

I also write a short blog entry for each movie, mostly for my own amusement and to share with facebook friends - if anyone is interested it's at http://40nightsofterror.blogspot.com/, I'd welcome any comments/criticism/etc.

The original Puppet Master has such a great concept for a weird dark comedy: Four different psychics (dream psychic, sex psychic, clairvoyant, and telepath) spend the weekend at a dead colleague's mansion trying to find a secret fortune he has hidden, which turns out to be murderous puppets. It's a shame that this concept probably will never be executed as well as I'd like, because it's way better than the actual movie (which isn't bad).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Guess I'll start my official count as of yesterday:

1. The Wailing: Whoa. I was blown away by this. Its a Korean thriller that goes in directions I definitely didn't expect. By the director of The Chaser, this is just on a whole other level, it may even be an instant classic. At the very least, its a contender for the best Korean film ever made. Cinematography is gorgeous from beginning to end, and oh boy what an end. Incredibly tense and just entertaining as hell.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've already started so between sept and October the goal is 31.

So far

1)Don't Breathe loved it until a particular scene towards the end took me out of it.felt like a gross out scene more suited for American pie. They could have even had the same thing happen but would have benefitted more from showing less

2Blair Witch kind of disappointing. Not a bad film but I expected more from wingard

3Bigfoot:the lost coast tapes some hot garbage. Definitely avoid, even if like me you have a high tolerance for found footage

4The Invitation really good little thriller. Definitely the best I've watched so far

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's been unseasonably warm and dry the past few weeks here so it's hard to get into an early Halloween spirit, so I'm easing myself in with Garth Marenghi's Darkplace which I somehow had never heard of before although apparently everybody else I know has and decided not to tell me about it. It's pure gold and probably the best way to move from the end of summer into Spooktacular Season.

Also it's all on YouTube if you've never seen it. Six episodes, two mockumentary specials and then a six-episode talk show spinoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

The original Puppet Master has such a great concept for a weird dark comedy: Four different psychics (dream psychic, sex psychic, clairvoyant, and telepath) spend the weekend at a dead colleague's mansion trying to find a secret fortune he has hidden, which turns out to be murderous puppets. It's a shame that this concept probably will never be executed as well as I'd like, because it's way better than the actual movie (which isn't bad).

Put like that, yeah it has the potential to be The Haunting crossed with Ten Little Indians. (and suddenly I'm reminded of a screenplay idea I had once that I never really got anywhere with writing wise of a similar stripe) I still like what we got however, and am unashamed to be a major geek about the whole franchise. Number eleven is filming presently!

As far as warming up, I bought myself subscriptions to Shudder and Full Moon Streaming with birthday gift money. The other day I watched a film on Shudder's livestream channel called The Squad about a Colombian platoon sent into a mountaintop base that has stopped responding to calls. Something Very Bad happened there, and in their investigation discover a woman behind a freshly built wall with prayers on it. Logbooks indicate they believed she was a witch. As the day wears into night, tensions build between the men and trust and morality start to drop. It was pretty good at building tension and feelings of claustrophobia, using tight spaces and fog in ways reminiscent of Silent Hill. 4 out of 5 Spooks.

Also I've been slowly holding myself over by catching up on Netflix tv stuff. I'm ridiculously bad at this. Right now I'm nearly done with season three of American Horror Story, and to put things in perspective, I'm also watching Twin Peaks for the very first time. I'm cutting edge!

By the by, I asked about a proper Halloween thread because I decided the other day to make myself a "mixtape" of sorts of horror/halloween songs, and I put it up to be downloaded by whomever wanted to, and that would seem a better place for a link than here...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Put like that, yeah it has the potential to be The Haunting crossed with Ten Little Indians. (and suddenly I'm reminded of a screenplay idea I had once that I never really got anywhere with writing wise of a similar stripe) I still like what we got however, and am unashamed to be a major geek about the whole franchise. Number eleven is filming presently!

As far as warming up, I bought myself subscriptions to Shudder and Full Moon Streaming with birthday gift money. The other day I watched a film on Shudder's livestream channel called The Squad about a Colombian platoon sent into a mountaintop base that has stopped responding to calls. Something Very Bad happened there, and in their investigation discover a woman behind a freshly built wall with prayers on it. Logbooks indicate they believed she was a witch. As the day wears into night, tensions build between the men and trust and morality start to drop. It was pretty good at building tension and feelings of claustrophobia, using tight spaces and fog in ways reminiscent of Silent Hill. 4 out of 5 Spooks.

Also I've been slowly holding myself over by catching up on Netflix tv stuff. I'm ridiculously bad at this. Right now I'm nearly done with season three of American Horror Story, and to put things in perspective, I'm also watching Twin Peaks for the very first time. I'm cutting edge!

By the by, I asked about a proper Halloween thread because I decided the other day to make myself a "mixtape" of sorts of horror/halloween songs, and I put it up to be downloaded by whomever wanted to, and that would seem a better place for a link than here...

Don't get my wrong, I love the Puppet Master series, and I'll be watching a few this month.

Until a Halloween thread pops up, everyone is welcome to post Halloween-stuff here. I know it's for the movie challenge, but I'm not really a stickler for Halloween discussion.

I have a Halloween playlist of songs that are appropriate for Halloween, but would work anytime of the year. It's at 29 hours (hopefully will get to 31 before the end of the month), and if anyone is interested, you can listen to it on Spotify: Halloween All Year

Edit: If you put a link to your mix-tape in the thread, I'll throw it in the OP under Spooky Tunes

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 20, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

aaannd signing up for Spotify.

My mix, which is CD length is here if anyone wants it: http://www.filedropper.com/thingsthatgobump

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Awakening of the Beast (1970)

Perversion! Narcotics! Sadism! I'm not sure what I witnessed, but it ruled. A silly epilogue and some bits that drag weren't enough to spoil my good time watching the third Coffin Joe flick. I need more. I crave more.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Shudder is supposedly getting a huge release in October and something "special" is suppose to happen on Halloween

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Shudder is supposedly getting a huge release in October and something "special" is suppose to happen on Halloween

I'm trying to think of what that could possibly be. I assume by "huge release" they mean something well-known and recent. Maybe Green Room?

Or maybe they got the rights to a whole series, that'd be perfect for October.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm trying to think of what that could possibly be. I assume by "huge release" they mean something well-known and recent. Maybe Green Room?

I may have heard some rumors from people in the know about original content, but that can't be this soon.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Green Room is hitting Netflix soon (at least in Canada, not sure about US).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it more and more, and about what Shudder would consider a major release, I'm thinking they got the rights to a whole series all at once. Maybe Halloween?

I mean, they know their audience. The Conjuring 2 isn't going to excite most Shudder subscribers nearly as much as a complete, classic series like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Stret.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I wish they'd get Full Moon videos catalogue but Full Moon has their own streaming service so I doubt it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Has anybody heard about Filmstruck's horror selection? I mean beyond the criterion stuff that's bound to be on there?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

DVD Talk forum runs something similar, if anyone is interested.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/635655-100-movies-31-days-12th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html

The first post has a bunch of links to horror movies, it's huge but a nice resource, and you can win prizes.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Aw I did my horror movie binge already in June for some reason. Love to be a part of this but I don't think I can put myself through it again so soon.

EDIT: A list of what I watched why not

A
The Stendhal Syndrome (Dario Argento, 1996)

A-
A Tale of Two Sisters (Kim Jee-woon, 2003) | Amer (Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani, 2009) | The Fly (David Cronenberg, 1986) | Marebito (Shimizu Takashi, 2004) | Requiem for a Vampire (Jean Rollin, 1971) | The Lair of the White Worm (Ken Russell, 1988) | An American Werewolf in London (John Landis, 1981) | The New York Ripper (Lucio Fulci, 1982) | The Fifth Cord (Luigi Bazzoni, 1971) | The Strange Colour of Your Body’s Tears (Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani, 2013) | Pontypool (Bruce McDonald, 2008) | Insect Woman (Kim Ki-young, 1972) | Martyrs (Pascal Laugier, 2008) | Candyman (Bernard Rose, 1992) | Beyond the | Black Rainbow (Panos Cosmatos, 2010) | Night Warning (William Asher, 1983) | I Drink Your Blood (David Durston, 1970) | Thou Wast Mild and Lovely (Josephine Decker, 2014) | Body Snatchers (Abel Ferrara, 1993)

B+
The Church (Michele Soavi, 1989) | Nightmares Come at Night (Jesús Franco, 1972) | Sweet Home (Kurosawa Kiyoshi, 1989) | A Devilish Murder (Lee Yong-min, 1965) | We’re Going to Eat You (Tsui Hark, 1980) | Color Me Blood Red (Herschell Gordon Lewis, 1965) | Uzumaki (Higuchinsky, 2000) | The Sandman (Eckart Schmidt, 1993) | From Beyond (Stuart Gordon, 1986) | Organ (Fujiwara Kei, 1996) | Id (Fujiwara Kei, 2005) | Bug (William Friedkin, 2006) | Dumplings (Fruit Chan, 2004) | Daughters of Fire (Walter Hugo Khouri, 1978) | Succubus (Georg Tressler, 1989) | Sorum (Yoon Jong-chan, 2001) | Satan’s Rhapsody (Nino Oxilia, 1917) | The Witch Who Came From the Sea (Matt Cimber, 1976) | Shirome (Shiraishi Koji, 2010) | Laurin (Robert Sigl, 1989) | The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard, 2012) | Sanguivorous (Yoshimoto Naoki, 2011) | Inside (Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, 2007) | Suicide Club (Sono Sion, 2001) | The Call of Cthulhu (Andrew Leman, 2005) | Baskin (Can Evrenol, 2015) | The House of the Devil (Ti West, 2009) | Chanthaly (Mattie Do, 2012)

B
Night of the Devils (Giorgio Ferroni, 1972) | The Public Cemetery Under the Moon (Kwon Cheol-hwi, 1967) | Vampire of Quezon City (Khavn, 2006) | Galaxy of Terror (Bruce D. Clark, 1981) | Stacy (Tomomatsu Naoyuki, 2001) | Egg. (Tsutsumi Yukihiko, 2005) | Bedevilled (Jang Cheol-soo, 2010) | Thirst (Park Chan-wook, 2009) | Black Moon (Roy William Neil, 1934) | Occulus (Mike Flanagan, 2013) | Honeymoon (Leigh Janiak, 2014)

B-
Blade of the Ripper (Sergio Martino, 1971) | The Suicide Song (Harada Masato, 2007) | Nails (Andrey Iskanov, 2003) | Insidous (James Wan, 2010) | The Ring Virus (Kim Dong-bin, 1999) | 28 Days Later (Danny Boyle, 2002) | Jennifer’s Body (Karyn Kusama, 2009)

C
Darkness (Juraj Herz, 2009)

Some more straight sci-fi or giallo slipped in because I am not good at sorting. I also think I rate too high and inconsistently. Willing to offer more information on any title.

El Graplurado fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Last year I set a goal for myself of 31 and I ended up hitting uh...like 70 some? Maybe I need to move the goalpost. Close to half of those were from the Scream Stream alone.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I remember months ago hearing that Shudder was going to have the exclusive rights to Sadako vs Kayako, maybe their big October thing is bringing in all the Ju-On and Ringu films?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
2. Maniac: This is the remake, not the original. Careful about who you recommend this movie to, its extremely brutal. Probably one of the bloodiest and most gruesome horror movies I've seen in recent years, and the first person perspective only makes the killings more disturbing. I appreciated the call-back to the original's poster, and Woods' performance was excellent. He really infused a lot of character into Frank considering you rarely see his face, and the script actually does a good job of inserting interesting little bits of information about Frank's hosed up psyche throughout.

Overall I definitely enjoyed it a lot but because of how gruesome and straight-forward it is, I probably won't ever need to watch it again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

2. Maniac: This is the remake, not the original. Careful about who you recommend this movie to, its extremely brutal. Probably one of the bloodiest and most gruesome horror movies I've seen in recent years, and the first person perspective only makes the killings more disturbing. I appreciated the call-back to the original's poster, and Woods' performance was excellent. He really infused a lot of character into Frank considering you rarely see his face, and the script actually does a good job of inserting interesting little bits of information about Frank's hosed up psyche throughout.

Overall I definitely enjoyed it a lot but because of how gruesome and straight-forward it is, I probably won't ever need to watch it again.

The flashback where he hides in the closet and watches his mom get double penetrared while she smiles and winks at him made me die a little inside.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The flashback where he hides in the closet and watches his mom get double penetrared while she smiles and winks at him made me die a little inside.

I actually didn't realize going in that the first person perspective was going to be utilized in that way, I thought it was just a straightforward way of making the movie more visceral and intense. His hosed up perception of reality was probably the best part of the movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its in the 80s so it feels really wrong to start my Horror Marathon prepping, but on the other hand I woke up last night in a cold sweat because apropros of nothing the loving Babadook attacked me in the middle of an otherwise perfectly "normal" dream. As I sat in the dark quietly muttering "there's no such thing, there's no such thing, there's no such thing" I realized it was time to start putting my list of available movies together.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh, another musical thing to add to the list, one of the strongest features of I-mockery's annual Halloween coverage is their "Jack-O-Juke" of Halloween/horror music. It's a pretty big list of songs they have.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

1. Awakening of the Beast (1970) 5/5

2. The Baby (1973)

The Baby combines a totally bonkers premise with a fairly straight-faced drama/thriller. Ruth Roman as the matriarch is excellent, as well as the supporting Wadsworth daughters. The musical score is superior. I liked this one.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Baby rules

• Locked thread