Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The remake counts, I think its definitely worthy of being considered a part of the series. I feel the same way about the Friday the 13th remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

The remake counts, I think its definitely worthy of being considered a part of the series.

Neither Raimi or Campbell are involved, I really can't accept it as anything but an unrelated novelty.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Neither Raimi or Campbell are involved, I really can't accept it as anything but an unrelated novelty.

Eh, if its good I happily accept it into the fold. Not everyone likes it though, it was fairly divisive if I remember correctly.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Well, time to force my self to type a bit more in my feeble attempt to catch up.

Day 19: Frankenstein, 1931

I hope I get away with being lazy with typing about this one. We all know its a classic. we all know that its great and is a very important movie for both horror and science fiction. It fun and cheesy because it's so outdated and all that, yet so cool and amazing to look at. And it's a pretty depressing movie on top of that since the monster is the victim in the story.

Day 20: The Last Man on Earth, 1964

I think the general rule for horror is that if Vincent Price is in it, then loving watch it. This movie helped creating the standard for the modern zombie movie and was one of the main inspirations to Night of the Living Dead. Night of the Living Dead is still the most important movie in the genre that defined zombie movies, but you see lot of the basics in The Last Man on Earth with hordes of the undead and the hopelessness of being alone in an destroyed world. I think the main reason this isn't viewed as the start of the zombie movies are because the zombies are actually vampires. They suck blood and can't stand sunlight, mirrors and garlic. They act like zombies since they are slow, stupid and weak, but like George A. Romero's zombies, they pose a threat because of their numbers.

The Last Man on Earth is based on the book I Am Legend and is the first of three movie adaptations. The second one is The Omega Man from 1971 and I got no opinions on that movie since I have yet to see it. The third one is the most famous one and that's I Am Legend from 2007 with Will Smith. I've seen that one and it sucks. The movie it self isn't the worst that came out that year, but the ending was pure poo poo. Avoid I Am Legend and watch The Last Man on Earth instead. Much better movie.

This is almost as much of a science fiction story as it is a horror story. It deals with what would happen if humanity got wiped out by an virus infection and turned into monsters. I'm just wondering if any of you sci-fi nerds out there knows if this is the first story of its kind. Are there any earlier science fiction stories that deals with this subject matter?

Day 21: Bride of Frankenstein, 1935

Oh boy, another opportunity to not having to type a lot. Just take what I said about Frankenstein and add that this maybe a better movie. Except the parts with Una O'Connor she is the Jar Jar Binks of the 30s. It's like they went out of their way to ruin the tone of the opening scene of the movie. Movies in the 30s sucked at comedic relief and keeping an consistent tone.

Day 22: Son of Frankenstein, 1939

Probably the best of the three classic Frankenstein movies with Boris Karloff as the monster. I like the two previous a bit better because of how they look and feel. But it's overall a better movie and you can't beat having not one, but two horror icons in the same movie. Bela Lugosi is great in his role as Ygor.

Day 23: Young Frankenstein, 1974

One of the best comedies Mel Brooks ever made (not that I've watched that many, but I got a feeling lot of people will back me on this one). It's one of the best horror comedies out there. It's way on the comedy side, but it does such an amazing job recreating the style and look of the old Universal Picture Frankenstein movies that it might as well be one. Its in glorious black and white and everything just looks and sounds perfect. You really should watch Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein before watching this since so much of the movie are direct parodies and references to those three movies. The comedy stands on it's own even if you haven't seen them, but it just makes it so much sweeter. This seriously feels like a direct sequel to Son of Frankenstein, especially since Dr. Frederick Frankenstein played by Gene Wilder have the exact same hair as the son to the son of Frankenstein in Son of Frankenstein.

Day 24: House of Usher, 1960

Another classic I shouldn't have to type too much about. We all know its amazing. It's made by Roger Corman, Vincent Price plays in it, it's based on an Edgar Allan Poe story and it takes place in a creepy haunted mansion (and I have mentioned that I got a hard on for big old mansions and castles in horror movies). This is a movie we fans of old school and classic horror like to jizz all over, and for very good reasons.

Day 25: Rise: Blood Hunter, 2007

I try to watch at least one really poo poo movie each year so I got something to complain about. Unfortunately, this movie didn't suck like I hope it would. It's not a great movie, but it works. A journalist gets killed and turned into a vampire, wakes up in the morgue and takes revenge. Pretty cool straightforwards vampire stuff with a dose of action. It's not a movie anyone should drop everything to watch, but it was cool enough for a movie of this type. I like how it drop the whole vampires gets killed by sunlight thingy. That's not a part of vampire lore and was invented by Nosferatu in 1922. Just saying that you shouldn't expect anything great, but there is no reason to skip it if you find it used on DVD in some thrift store or whatever like I did.

Day 26: Dawn of the Dead, 1978

One of the best horror movies ever made. The reason I felt the need to watch it was because they talked about it on Red Letter Media's re:View http://redlettermedia.com/dawn-of-the-dead-review/

Day 27: Cemetery Man, 1994

One of the most underrated horror comedies ever. If it's one movie that should be more famous and popular, then it's this one. I'm going to go so far to say it should be up there with Braindead/Dead Alive and Evil Dead 2. Maybe it's because its so weird that stops it from being one of the bigger names in horror comedy, but being weird is exactly why it works for me. And it got so much cool horror poo poo going for it. Zombies, gore, tits and a real atmospheric ancient Italian cemetery. Everything just looks great. The main character and his retarded assistant works at the local cemetery and have the job to kill the dead that raises from the grave and get them back in their coffins. Lots of crazy poo poo happens. The movie is Italian and obviously takes place in Italy, but it was made in English. Not sure why, but works for me. It's just a too cool and unique movie to ever skip if you love the kind of stuff I've talked about here.

Braindead, 1992

Saw that one too that night. Also know as Dead Alive. I've probably seen this movie at least 50 billion times.

Day 28: Fritt vilt, 2006

A Norwegian slasher. Some snowboarders goes far out in the wilderness to snowboard down a mountain side. One of the guys breaks his leg and they find an abandoned hotel. They think they are alone, only to get the slasher treatment. It's a pretty cool movie if you are in the mood for a modern slasher. I've noticed lot of horror fans have started to notice horror from my country for some reason, and this movie is one of those reasons. Not sure why since this is an good, but not amazing film, but I guess the setting is exotic for Americans.

Wow, I did it. I caught up with where I am in my marathon. Took loving forever, but I did it. I'm going to try not to lag so far behind next year.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Both paid for it while the latter even showed up in the credits :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Class3KillStorm posted:

Some more films over the past couple of days.

33) Silver Bullet - Ugh, this was disappointing. The thinly sketched premise - "boy in a wheelchair battles a werewolf during an idyllic summer" - should be enough to make the whole thing work. Unfortunately, it remains just that thinly sketched the whole time. There were a couple of neat ideas here - namely that the werewolf process takes place over a few nights' span, so the bestial nature gets more and more pronounced by the full moon; and, being that the reverend is the werewolf, he imagines that he is doing a positive thing by killing people, citing a woman he "saved" from damnation by suicide by killing her himself. However, there's no building on these ideas, so they're basically announced in one or two scenes near the end and then not mentioned again. Also, while I normally can appreciate Gary Busey and Everett McGill and Corey Haim as camp curios, none of them have anything to do in this movie. I was completely bored the whole time; avoid unless you need white noise in the background. 1 out of 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8apsvGm80

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Both paid for it while the latter even showed up in the credits :colbert:

Quentin Tarantino Presents

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The remake counts, the car is in it. Sorry Lurdiak.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

The remake counts, the car is in it. Sorry Lurdiak.

Spoiler for this week's Ash vs Evil Dead: They better bring the car back somehow! It needs a glorious revival and to come to the rescue at the climax of this season.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Spoiler for this week's Ash vs Evil Dead: They better bring the car back somehow! It needs a glorious revival and to come to the rescue at the climax of this season.

I really wouldn't worry about it. That car is more untouchable than any character in the show aside from Ash. Maybe even him too.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

There's no way I'm hitting 31 this year, but watching even one new horror movie counts as a success in my book.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal: The List

The Big Four
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
17. Halloween (1978)
18. Friday the 13th (1980)
19. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
20. Halloween 2 (1981)
21. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
22. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)
23. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
24. Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
25. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
26. Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
27. Friday the 13th Part VI Jason Lives (1986)
28. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
29. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors (1987)
30. Friday the 13th part 7: The New Blood (1988)
31. Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
32. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
33. Friday the 13th part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
34. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
35. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
36. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (1990)
37. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
38. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
39. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
40. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
41. Scream (1996)
42. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1997)
43. Scream 2 (1997)
44. Halloween H20 (1998)

So, despite the first film perhaps being the best of all of these films, it's sequels after 3 maybe make this the worst franchise out of all of them. Which makes this a refreshing change of pace, paying respect to the original film and discarding the 'Jason-ification' of the previous film. And besides, it has a better contemporary to rip off (i.e. Scream), and it does an even better job of balancing it with what Halloween actually was. Like in the use of the Halloween theme, in this film. Like pretty much every other sequel it makes a new cover of it, though this film does so in a very tasteful orchestral style that still conveys the same feelings as the original. Though I feel like they maybe went farther, and recreated a number of cues from the original with an orchestra.

I will say that unlike a lot of characters in these films, it creates enough history and motivation to make two of it's main characters bicker and not making it annoying. Though, it does a good job of undercutting any annoyance with some decent dialog and jokes, creating some joviality between characters. And speaking of, nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis back in the role, and surprisingly faithful to the character. Though with an added trauma and hangups that both distances herself, and drives the plot in a very believable manner. Meanwhile the kids are all shitheads, but in believable, fun-loving way that it's hard to hate them. Kinda like how they were in the first film.

As for he actual horror, I can at least say the film respects it's audience a lot more than they did in 4-6. It doesn't have endless scenes of teasing (like the barn scene in 5), and when they start the tension doesn't really die down, driving the scenes until the kill. It may be lousy in jumpscares, it at least connects it to Laurie's unresolved PTSD. And she's as sick of them as we are. And it's fun to see chase sequences where the victims fight back, another fun addition from Scream. Though as I'll always say Plus, Michael's looking better than he has. With the mask given a lot of definition, and the actor portraying him giving a very physically imposing portrayal. Though in some shots, the mask doesn't look that great, and I think the issue is that they gave him too big of eye holes, and lips that are a bit too pouty. It's like Michael invented Blue Steel.

And perhaps unlike any other film I've watched here, I think it could've actually benefited from an expanded run time, if only to expand the body count. As is, the film kinda leaves wanting in the kills, despite how effective they are. As is, the film is concise and effective enough it be worthwhile, and as an effective end to the saga of Michael Myers over 20 years. The only thing I wish they did do was unmask Michael again, showing how that pretty boy face was ruined after 20 years of people slashing, bashing, and shooting it. Just give it that finality to close the loop in a nice reference to the first. Anyways, really not looking forward to Resurrection.

And one last note, nice to see Jamie's mom, Janet Leigh.

Edit:
45. Scream 3 (2000)

So, worst of the series, but better than the rest. Where the second film started to distance itself from reality, this one is basically the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to space. From the voice changer being able to emulate every and any voice, the even more overt comedy, the extra surreal Hollywood sound stages, the scooby doo house, the weird explosion kill, the extra unstoppable killer, a lot of things. And to add on top of it, they try to shoehorn commentary about how it's a trilogy, when trilogies in horror films aren't really a thing. And the series' traditional length of just under 2 hours is starting to wear thin, and I'm starting to loose patience with the numerous scenes of red herrings. I will say the horror scenes still carry weight, though the 'cleverness' seems to have been lost. The characters seem to be making the same stupid mistakes that they criticized in the first two, not calling the cops or taking their eyes off the killer. And they aren't played for laughs, just dramatic tension. And I can deal with that, but when the first two held themselves to such a standard it's disappointing to see it slide. I get the sense that the filmmakers are starting to wane interest in the films, and I kinda wish they took those feelings and translated them on screen. Make the film about how tiring it is to make a sequel into a series, and making the characters feel the exhaustion over how recurring the same events over and over are. Like I said, it's certainly the worst of the trilogy, but it's better than a lot of the films I've watched.

Next up: Jason X

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 29, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#31DaysOfHalloween

57. Djinn (2013)

Khalid and Salama are a young couple who have recently lost their baby in a tragic accident. After a lucrative job offer comes in, the pair move back to their home country of the UAE. There, they're put up in a brand new apartment high rise. Salama's family has misgivings however, as the tower was built over the ruins of a town said to be cursed by Djinn, malevolent spirits of the Arabic traditions. In particular, this area is haunted by an evil female Djinn, said to have given birth to a half-human son, only to have him spirited away, with his heritage unknown...

Another on a whim Netflix choice, this one I came in knowing nothing about. I appreciated seeing a film where the culture and elements were not ones normally seen here in the west, even in imported films. Also, I was surprised to realize when the credits rolled that this was a Tobe Hooper joint, and I must say this was probably his best work in decades. The fear factor is a slow burn, quietly ratcheting up to madness with a mean spirit. My only true complaint is how abrupt the film ends.

I give Djinn :fsmug::fsmug::fsmug::fsmug: out of Five

58. Monster Brawl (2011)

Made to look like a wrestling pay per view, this film sees a tournament to the death of famous monsters like Frankenstein and The Mummy. The color commentary is funny, and the fights aren't bad. In-between we get little vignettes about the monsters and how they wound up in the ring.

This film is maybe 15% plot, and you know what? It doesn't pretend to be anything more. It knows how goofy it is exactly, and decides to give the people exactly what they paid for: Monster wrestling matches. If that's your thing, you have nothing to be afraid of here. Heck, half the cast appear to be wrestlers themselves in real life.

I give Monster Brawl :vince::vince::vince: out of Five

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

:skeltal: The List

The Big Four
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
17. Halloween (1978)
18. Friday the 13th (1980)
19. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
20. Halloween 2 (1981)
21. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
22. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)
23. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
24. Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
25. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
26. Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
27. Friday the 13th Part VI Jason Lives (1986)
28. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
29. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors (1987)
30. Friday the 13th part 7: The New Blood (1988)
31. Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
32. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
33. Friday the 13th part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
34. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
35. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
36. Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (1990)
37. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
38. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
39. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
40. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
41. Scream (1996)
42. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1997)
43. Scream 2 (1997)
44. Halloween H20 (1998)

So, despite the first film perhaps being the best of all of these films, it's sequels after 3 maybe make this the worst franchise out of all of them. Which makes this a refreshing change of pace, paying respect to the original film and discarding the 'Jason-ification' of the previous film. And besides, it has a better contemporary to rip off (i.e. Scream), and it does an even better job of balancing it with what Halloween actually was. Like in the use of the Halloween theme, in this film. Like pretty much every other sequel it makes a new cover of it, though this film does so in a very tasteful orchestral style that still conveys the same feelings as the original. Though I feel like they maybe went farther, and recreated a number of cues from the original with an orchestra.

I will say that unlike a lot of characters in these films, it creates enough history and motivation to make two of it's main characters bicker and not making it annoying. Though, it does a good job of undercutting any annoyance with some decent dialog and jokes, creating some joviality between characters. And speaking of, nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis back in the role, and surprisingly faithful to the character. Though with an added trauma and hangups that both distances herself, and drives the plot in a very believable manner. Meanwhile the kids are all shitheads, but in believable, fun-loving way that it's hard to hate them. Kinda like how they were in the first film.

As for he actual horror, I can at least say the film respects it's audience a lot more than they did in 4-6. It doesn't have endless scenes of teasing (like the barn scene in 5), and when they start the tension doesn't really die down, driving the scenes until the kill. It may be lousy in jumpscares, it at least connects it to Laurie's unresolved PTSD. And she's as sick of them as we are. And it's fun to see chase sequences where the victims fight back, another fun addition from Scream. Though as I'll always say Plus, Michael's looking better than he has. With the mask given a lot of definition, and the actor portraying him giving a very physically imposing portrayal. Though in some shots, the mask doesn't look that great, and I think the issue is that they gave him too big of eye holes, and lips that are a bit too pouty. It's like Michael invented Blue Steel.

And perhaps unlike any other film I've watched here, I think it could've actually benefited from an expanded run time, if only to expand the body count. As is, the film kinda leaves wanting in the kills, despite how effective they are. As is, the film is concise and effective enough it be worthwhile, and as an effective end to the saga of Michael Myers over 20 years. The only thing I wish they did do was unmask Michael again, showing how that pretty boy face was ruined after 20 years of people slashing, bashing, and shooting it. Just give it that finality to close the loop in a nice reference to the first. Anyways, really not looking forward to Resurrection.

And one last note, nice to see Jamie's mom, Janet Leigh.

Edit:
45. Scream 3 (2000)

So, worst of the series, but better than the rest. Where the second film started to distance itself from reality, this one is basically the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to space. From the voice changer being able to emulate every and any voice, the even more overt comedy, the extra surreal Hollywood sound stages, the scooby doo house, the weird explosion kill, the extra unstoppable killer, a lot of things. And to add on top of it, they try to shoehorn commentary about how it's a trilogy, when trilogies in horror films aren't really a thing. And the series' traditional length of just under 2 hours is starting to wear thin, and I'm starting to loose patience with the numerous scenes of red herrings. I will say the horror scenes still carry weight, though the 'cleverness' seems to have been lost. The characters seem to be making the same stupid mistakes that they criticized in the first two, not calling the cops or taking their eyes off the killer. And they aren't played for laughs, just dramatic tension. And I can deal with that, but when the first two held themselves to such a standard it's disappointing to see it slide. I get the sense that the filmmakers are starting to wane interest in the films, and I kinda wish they took those feelings and translated them on screen. Make the film about how tiring it is to make a sequel into a series, and making the characters feel the exhaustion over how recurring the same events over and over are. Like I said, it's certainly the worst of the trilogy, but it's better than a lot of the films I've watched.

Next up: Jason X

Halloween H20: I think this one is unfairly looked over. Weird to be defending it, as I think it's probably a 7/10 at best, but it has some strong moments (pre-credits scene, the elevator kill, the big confrontation at the end, and LL Cool J's subplot about being an erotica writer) and, as you said, is miles above Halloweens 3-6. It's definitely a Scream clone, but as far as those goes, it's pretty solid, maybe thanks to having a first draft by Williamson himself. Honestly, as an ender to the series, it does a job at being a climax - it's only too bad that the producers would not let it be the climax and reboot right after that.

Fun fact about the mask looking bad in some shots: there are three different masks in this movie. One that looks good, one designed by effects studio that has too wide eyeholes but is OK, and one they had to CGI in during post-production due to changing the mask design and not being able to reshoot the scene. Yes, there is a CGI Michael Myers mask in H20. Yes, it's terrible.

Have you considered throwing in a few other slasher ripoffs/side projects into this? Obviously, you're already overstuffed and have a ton to get through if you're ending October 31st, but it would be fun to see some others caused by the 80s boom like The Prowler (my personal favorite of those), Madman, or The Burning and a 90s Scream boom like Valentine (which, as I recall, is almost more of an H20 ripoff: set in school, killer patterned after Myers in terms of mask and holiday gimmick, elements of a thriller; not a good movie, of course.)

Scream 3: Part of me wants you to watch Scream: The TV Series. It's definitely better than Screams 3 or 4, and takes a balancing wire tone where the violence is extremely bloody (in a mid-season episode, someone gets fed to farm equipment and the lead gets splashed in blood from head-to-toe while screaming), the drama is meant to be serious, but there's a strange campiness to everything. I haven't seen the second season to see if it manages to improve or get worse than the first season, but it was a fun little series that takes a Scream formula and adds things like the legacy of similar murders that happened in the 80s, a Jason-esque boy drowned in a camp lake, a spooky asylum, etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Evil Dead rankings:

-The original
-The remake
-Evil Dead 2
-Army of Darkness

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Day 27: Cemetery Man, 1994
The movie is Italian and obviously takes place in Italy, but it was made in English. Not sure why, but works for me.

It was probably made in whatever language each actor spoke natively but with no actual sound recorded on set and then dubbed into English, Italian, and probably a bunch of other languages. That's how things were done in Italy for a long time.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004

Morbid Hound
The main character is played by an British actor, so it would make sense that he did it in his native language, but everyone else's lips sync up perfectly with their English lines. As far as I understand it, the whole movie was made in English.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Evil Dead rankings:

-Army of Darkness
-The original
-The remake
-Evil Dead 2

FTFY

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

20. Fear City: Abel Ferra and made in the early 80s, so you know it's going to get grimy. A serial killer stalks exotic dancers in New York, and in a twist he's a martial artist. A very young Tom Bergener is a dance company manager who used to box until he killed a man in the ring, so when one of his girls is killed it sets the two on an inevitable showdown and oh boy does the showdown deliver. The ending is martial arts vs. rough street style boxing as the two just unload on each other for 5 full minutes in an alleyway, a la They Live, and Ferra rarely cuts away.

Throughout there's plenty of stalking to qualify it as horror and even a Black Christmas style twist on the killer we never find out his name or fully why he is killing beyond some creepy narration by him about cleaning up the streets and he's not even credited in the film, so even the actor's identity is unknown. Along the way you get plenty of that early 80s NYC atmosphere that was such a huge aid to films like New York Ripper, as Ferra definitely knows how to soak up all the dirt and neon signs in ways that are both disturbing and sometimes beautiful (a murder cuts to the morning after, which is a big wide shot of the city skyline at dawn, mostly silent). Also, Billy Dee Williams shows up to insult Italians. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

21. Burial Ground: Nights of Terror: An early 80s Italian zombie pic, sometimes accused of ripping off Zombi 1, and possibly an influence for the original Resident Evil game. (I watched it based on the last one: it's definitely a contender in terms of the setting being a mansion in the woods and the interiors being similar, though not much else.) Directed by the guy behind the sleazy Strip Nude for Your Killer, this is an effective 1 hour 15 minute movie that is about the most stripped down a zombie film can possibly be: there is 0 explanation for the zombies or mythology about them beyond a short prologue where a professor studying at the manor chips open a stone door in an underground tunnel, causing the dead buried inside to rise, and a fake quotation on the end shot. We have nudity 8 minutes in and a first kill all of 12 minutes in, with the siege situation starting around 20 minutes.

One thing I ding it for and that hurts it from joining other high-rank schlock: the score. It's horrible, and very repetitive. If you can imagine a 50s sci-fi film and that sort of buzzing outer space noise used as backing when an alien appears, imagine that playing over 60% of a movie's running time, sometimes non-stop for minutes at a time. Somehow, it has two credited composers. The 1.5 points I'm taking off are almost entirely all for the score; if you made a new cut with Goblin playing over it, I could easily give it a 4/5 or higher. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:.5/5

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2016

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
30La Casa 3-Ghosthouse

Quite enjoyed it. It's kind of silly, atmospheric, and has some really effective moments, even if it sort of rips off some other flicks. Still fun to sit through

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 28 - I don't care how attracted I am to a woman, if she leads me into a featureless black void to have sex I'm leaving. Despite that, I thought Under the Skin was pretty good.

Something is prowling Scotland in the shape of a woman. It wanders the streets until it finds a man it considers acceptable, then lures them to a dark place where the men are absorbed into the inky darkness.

If I had to pick one word to describe Under the Skin it would be "ambiguous". This is a film about alien creatures doing alien things for alien reasons. The world is a strange and disorientating place in this film. While you may be able to grasp the broadest of strokes, the underlying "why" is evasive.

Visually, it feels like the movie is assembled out of some very disparate components. There's a lot of absolutely fantastic looking shots, but sometimes they're edited with bits that just feel off. There's a lot of footage in this movie shot in the front of a van, for example, which winds up being very static and samey even though occasionally a great image comes from it.

Scarlett Johansson is really good in this movie. She's got the disconnected from reality acting down pat. I appreciate that she goes from a creature to something that we can sympathize with over the course of the film. Going from the stalker to implied stalkee to literal stalking victim is quite a journey.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
25.1: Ravenous is a fantastic tale, glad I was wrong in thinking I knew what it was about. Really cool exploration of survival and consumption. I'll be thinking about each decision that had to be made for a while. 8.5/10

And I'm actually going to pass over Bone Tomahawk for now, Ravenous is a tough act to follow and I've been reading mixed reviews, so I'll come back when I'm in more of a mood for it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nothing happened... except a nearly overwhelming amount of tension, suspense and dread. :colbert:

Different strokes buddy. I was sitting there hoping something would happen. The main character sticking her nose where it didn't belong around the house didn't really do it for me. When her friend got shot I was like finally this movie is going somewhere. But back to nosey sneaking around the house where stuff is slightly off.

Ambitious Spider posted:

30La Casa 3-Ghosthouse

Quite enjoyed it. It's kind of silly, atmospheric, and has some really effective moments, even if it sort of rips off some other flicks. Still fun to sit through

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

I really enjoyed how goofy the music was in Ghosthouse, and that drat clown doll.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

timeandtide posted:

Halloween H20: I think this one is unfairly looked over. Weird to be defending it, as I think it's probably a 7/10 at best, but it has some strong moments (pre-credits scene, the elevator kill, the big confrontation at the end, and LL Cool J's subplot about being an erotica writer) and, as you said, is miles above Halloweens 3-6. It's definitely a Scream clone, but as far as those goes, it's pretty solid, maybe thanks to having a first draft by Williamson himself. Honestly, as an ender to the series, it does a job at being a climax - it's only too bad that the producers would not let it be the climax and reboot right after that.

Fun fact about the mask looking bad in some shots: there are three different masks in this movie. One that looks good, one designed by effects studio that has too wide eyeholes but is OK, and one they had to CGI in during post-production due to changing the mask design and not being able to reshoot the scene. Yes, there is a CGI Michael Myers mask in H20. Yes, it's terrible.

Have you considered throwing in a few other slasher ripoffs/side projects into this? Obviously, you're already overstuffed and have a ton to get through if you're ending October 31st, but it would be fun to see some others caused by the 80s boom like The Prowler (my personal favorite of those), Madman, or The Burning and a 90s Scream boom like Valentine (which, as I recall, is almost more of an H20 ripoff: set in school, killer patterned after Myers in terms of mask and holiday gimmick, elements of a thriller; not a good movie, of course.)

Scream 3: Part of me wants you to watch Scream: The TV Series. It's definitely better than Screams 3 or 4, and takes a balancing wire tone where the violence is extremely bloody (in a mid-season episode, someone gets fed to farm equipment and the lead gets splashed in blood from head-to-toe while screaming), the drama is meant to be serious, but there's a strange campiness to everything. I haven't seen the second season to see if it manages to improve or get worse than the first season, but it was a fun little series that takes a Scream formula and adds things like the legacy of similar murders that happened in the 80s, a Jason-esque boy drowned in a camp lake, a spooky asylum, etc.

Right there with ya on H20, which all I knew going into it was Jamie Lee Curtis' return, and the fact that it was quite decent in comparison to the rest of the series. And I certainly would like to watch more of these types of films, as the slasher genre definitely extended well beyond these types of films, like Sleepaway Camp, Slumber Party Massacre, Prom Night, etc. However, I can't spend every waking hour watching these films, and this experiment has already been a marathon that has delighted and tested my expectations. Maybe next year I'll go more conventional in the challenge, but for right now it's F v J and beyond.

And I'll maybe take note of the Scream TV series when I'm feeling like watching some decent garbage TV.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Vin posted:

Different strokes buddy. I was sitting there hoping something would happen. The main character sticking her nose where it didn't belong around the house didn't really do it for me. When her friend got shot I was like finally this movie is going somewhere. But back to nosey sneaking around the house where stuff is slightly off.

Getting that tone right is probably the toughest thing to pull off well in a horror movie. Any braindead hick from sheep country can throw a bunch of gore effects into their zombie movie, it takes a skilled director working from a good script with solid actors to pull off "people do relatively mundane things on screen for half an hour as dread increases". I've seen a lot of horror movies miss that mark and wind up just being boring or aimless. I think House of the Devil worked, but there's also a engagement factor where a film may just not connect with a viewer.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004

Morbid Hound
Fritt vilt II, 2008

You can't keep a slasher villain down. After appearing to have died in the first movie, the villain's body get recovered with the corpses by the police and he wakes up at the hospital. More people gets killed as a result. It's a pretty nice sequel. It got the stuff you'd expect from a slasher. There's a third movie by some other people that is suppose suck, so I'm not going to bother with that one.

Haunts, 1977

Well, I finally got a poo poo movie. Too bad it wasn't the funny bad type. It was more the watching paint dry type of bad. Some serial killer is on the loose murdering women in a small town and the movie follows this paranoid woman who thinks her uncle might be the killer or something. I don't know since I zoned out all the time. It was just terrible. It tries to be an psychological thriller, but you have to give a poo poo for that to work. For all I know, this is some intense stuff that I just failed to get emerged in, but I'm going to go out on an limb and tell you guys to not watch this unless you love slow boring 70s movies. You know, the decade where everything was poo poo brown. Like if you the color brown, bad film quality and poo poo being too dark to see, then you might like this.

I'm getting these out of the way now since you aren't suppose to post drunk. Going to watch a few old favorites and get wasted now.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

22. Splinter Pretty entertaining creature feature, watched due to it popping up a lot in this thread. Two escaped cons waylay a couple on their way to a vacation in the woods and force them to stop at a gas station, where the four run into a parasitical monster. Ending up trapped inside the gas station, they're forced to work together to survive against the creature. I love trapped in single location movies, so this earns points just for that, and the monster they came up with (important in movies like this, as it's where they can vary and stand out) is pretty cool: it manifests as black spikes that sprout out of victims skin and later begins to strand all of its victims together into an uber-monster.

Unfortunately, due to either stylistic choice or budget (I think it's the later), a lot of the creature shots are shown with rapid-fire edits and twitch camera moves, even during the big action climax. That's a bit irritating and takes away from some otherwise effective scenes. The third area creature features define themselves by is in stars - in a way, they're one of a few horror subgenera that can get away with putting in known actors, i.e., Tremors is no less good with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward as the leads, but is in fact better for it, and there's fun to be had in spotting character actors like Ray Wise appear in these things, especially if they get a fun death. Splinter appears to be a cast of indie actors, and they do a good enough job with what they're given. In the film's favor is its pacing, which is so fast that when I paused it and expected to see the 20 minute mark, I was over halfway in. Definitely a solid, fun watch. :spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

23. Lake of Dracula Have you ever wanted to see Japan do a Hammer film? Lake of Dracula is the second part of a trilogy (only loosely, in that they're all done by the same crew and involve vampires) of horror films made in 70s Japan that very effectively channel Hammer Horror atmosphere. Each entry of the trilogy increases in quality, with the first being mediocre but so boring that even at 70 it's a chore, Lake of Dracula, which is pretty entertaining, and Evil of Dracula, which is very good. These are all well-directed, despite being made-for-TV movies. In this one, a woman who encountered Dracula as a child relives her traumatic memories when he returns to claim her as his own. :spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

The main character is played by an British actor, so it would make sense that he did it in his native language, but everyone else's lips sync up perfectly with their English lines. As far as I understand it, the whole movie was made in English.

I do like how the film is obviously set in Italy. Everyone has Italian names, the place names are in Italian and so on and so forth but drat near everyone speaks with a British accent. Like you've got really typical macho Italian scooter dudes but they talk like they're a hairsbreadth away from saying "Oi! Guvnah, I 'ear yer impotent. Funny ol' world innit?"

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

51. My Name is Bruce: Some of the jokes are beyond lame. The rest is glorious trash. A cast mostly composed of old collaborators, fun slasher bits, I will never not love Ted Raimi, and cheesy monster suits which are an actual upgrade from the CGI in Alien Invasion.

It's definitely a movie to watch once and then use as background noise once in a while to tune out the lesser bits. Unless you're one of the many who hate it. Which is totally understandable.

52. Theatre of Blood: Diana Rigg :swoon:

Oh, and a bunch of other excellent actors in a dark comedy slasher exploring the hosed up world of Shakespeare. And some no-name known as Vince Price or somesuch giving a hack performance. One of his most varied and best performances. Rigg's performance was also excellent and doesn't get enough credit.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 29, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#59. Rope (1948)

Two young men strangle a classmate of theirs for the thrill of enacting the "perfect crime". Then, they stage a party, including the deceased's friends and family, and their old school teacher, in order to push the limits of how "perfect" their crime will be.

In this modern age, it's real easy to overlook just how amazing of a director Alfred Hitchcock was. He was incredibly detail oriented, and pushed limits that few are willing to push even today in what can be done with film. I'd argue this is a film that exemplifies both qualities to the utmost. Based on a play that was based on a real crime, Hitchcock chose to film this entire story, using camera tricks for the mandatory film-length edits, as if it were done in one long take. He takes the play atmosphere and pushes it to its limits, with the camera moving around the single set smoothly until it becomes a character itself. He has the actors move around the party and converse in very real dialog, even when they're deep in the background, eschewing a film score to instead create the sort of group event Robert Altman would later make his specialty. Every action, every word, even the background skyline, is an exercise in precision and perfection to tell this story and to create tension. Like many of Hitchcock's most famous films, this right here is a Master-Class on filmmaking.

I give Rope :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: out of Five

#60. White Dog (1982)

Julie is a struggling young actress, living in the Hollywood Hills. While driving one night, she hits a dog with her car. The dog turns out okay, and she takes him in reluctantly. After saving her from a rapist that breaks into her house, Julie grows to love the dog. However, it harbors a dark secret--this is no ordinary German Shepard, it's a White Dog, a dog that has been raised to hate and automatically attack People of Color. Julie ends up taking the dog to a wild animal trainer, Keys, an African American man who is dead set on finding a way to break the White Dog programming and eliminate this tool for White Supremacy. But are they willing to face the consequences and the crimes the dog may commit?

This is...a very different sort of horror movie. There's nothing fantastic going on, no magic or sci-fi at play. Yet it deals with a very real set of monsters. Both the bestial and the human. Samuel Fuller is a director whose large body of semi-independent work spanning over 50 years is not nearly widely known as it should be. He is a master of turning small moments into high tension, and getting down to the human condition. Here he turns that attention towards our attitudes towards other animals, with an ability to switch the perspective of the dog from a lovable goof to a frightening monster in the blink of an eye. It's unfortunate that the acting in the film is closer to at the time tv movie caliber however, as it does pull the film down from a masterpiece of racial politics in its most feral form into something more maudlin. That doesn't make it not worth seeing however.

I give White Dog :staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog: out of Five

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Choco1980 posted:

#59. Rope (1948)

Two young men strangle a classmate of theirs for the thrill of enacting the "perfect crime". Then, they stage a party, including the deceased's friends and family, and their old school teacher, in order to push the limits of how "perfect" their crime will be.

In this modern age, it's real easy to overlook just how amazing of a director Alfred Hitchcock was. He was incredibly detail oriented, and pushed limits that few are willing to push even today in what can be done with film. I'd argue this is a film that exemplifies both qualities to the utmost. Based on a play that was based on a real crime, Hitchcock chose to film this entire story, using camera tricks for the mandatory film-length edits, as if it were done in one long take. He takes the play atmosphere and pushes it to its limits, with the camera moving around the single set smoothly until it becomes a character itself. He has the actors move around the party and converse in very real dialog, even when they're deep in the background, eschewing a film score to instead create the sort of group event Robert Altman would later make his specialty. Every action, every word, even the background skyline, is an exercise in precision and perfection to tell this story and to create tension. Like many of Hitchcock's most famous films, this right here is a Master-Class on filmmaking.

I give Rope :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: out of Five

Rope is one of Hitchcock's best, and that's really saying something.

I watched Them last week. (The 2006 French thriller, not to be confused with Them!, a 1950s sci-fi flick about giant ants.) I could rave about how the film handles darkness and silence and what a tense experience the whole thing is, but instead I'm just going to link the ten-minute opening sequence and let that do the talking for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuS0HepmfWQ

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

26. Fear, Inc. (2016)
While hanging out with friends, a horror buff makes a call to a dangerous company that creates customized terror events to frighten people. Interesting premise ruined by progressively more terrible twists.

:spooky:/5

27. Don't Breathe (2016)
Terrifying and extremely tense. Stephen Lang is horrifying as The Blind Man. That being said, I didn't actually like this very much. The main three characters are completely unlikable and leave no one to root for. Without any sort of attachment to any of the cast, it just felt like watching a movie about bad people doing bad things and getting bad things done to them.

:spooky::spooky:/5

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

24. Crystal Lake Memories: A 7 hour documentary on the entire Friday the 13th series, including a small segment on the TV series, done by the crew behind Never Sleep Again. If that doesn't indicate it to you, yes it's high quality, with plenty of detailed behind the scenes info, funny tidbits, and in-depth coverage of cuts made to the film. Find out about the creation of the first entry in detail (it takes over an hour of the doc), see Cory Feldman recreate the campfire scene from Part 2 as an intro, and find out what the heck the Jason Goes to Hell guys were thinking. Highly recommended. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

25. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night: I'm going to be plain: at times I was fascinated by this film, but for the most part I was bored. It really doesn't justify 1 hour 40+ minutes of runtime (and this is from the guy that just watched a 7 hour Jason documentary) and really should have been trimmed back by 10-20 minutes. Even then, I found the strongest sections were the Jim Jarmusch style dialogue scenes, not the horror aspect. The black and white was an interesting choice to heighten shadows and make it more like a quote-unquote monster movie, and probably lets me give it a bit higher regard than I would otherwise. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 29 - The home stretch and it occurred to me I haven't left myself with something extra special for Halloween night. And I've spent the month essentially running through almost every single horror movie that I've heard I might enjoy but still haven't seen so pretty much the only things left on that list are things where I couldn't get a copy of the film. And I definitely don't want Halloween to be a "let me pick something random off streaming" day.

Anyway, today I watched Basket Case and while I wouldn't call it a good movie, it's exactly what I want out of a goofy horror movie.

A young man arrives in New York City carrying a basket around with him. There's something alive in the basket that he feeds and talks to him in his head. He and the basket came to the city to find some people and kill them.

I actually knew the important beats of this film before I watched it because it's one of those infamously offbeat horror films of the 80's that gets referenced occasionally. That didn't diminish the experience. I wouldn't call Basket Case good, but it's exactly what I want in a goofy horror film: lively, creative, and weird. The puppet work in particular was laughable, but the good kind of laughable. It gives the movie that kind of offbeat charm that is fun.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
26.1: The VVitch was pretty good. It suffers a little in my view the same way Lords of Salem does, when the ending goes off and revels in doing its own thing while dropping what had been the best part of the film. There also felt like a lot of setup of a theme of man v. his environment that wasn't really followed up on, except to the extent that all horror is about the loss of control. It definitely gets some credit for having the creepiest little kids in recent horror, and it's cool that it managed to explore the whole paranoia/accusation aspect of witch trials, even considering what the audience knows, but my favorite aspect of this is the 2001-esque sound design during creepy moments. 8/10

26.2: The Wailing was very long but totally worth it. It's like a combination of Ravenous's morality/character struggle and Noroi's investigation, with the runtime/complexity of The Raid 2, but the bad end/nihilism of Martyrs. This one definitely warrants a rewatch later just to try and put all of the pieces together, but it's definitely an example of how to create and maintain a sense of consistent sense of dread from beginning to end. It was also a nice surprise to have Kunimura Jun not only pop up, but put on an excellent, offputting performance. 9/10

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

53. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit: Forever a favorite and a near perfect movie.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

For a chance of pace, I watched two anime horror films from the late 1980s:

26. Lily-C.A.T.: A take on both Alien and The Thing, with the unique twist of the alien not being a cheap Geiger ripoff but rather disease/bacteria-based. There's several other nice twists on the formula, but I don't want to spoil those. The 80s animation has quite a lot of flair to it, giving us (once they finally decide to show the monster - wisely, they follow the advice of keeping horror off-screen or in the shadows for the first half of the movie) some really quite grotesque transformations. Despite being made in that period where brutal films like Wicked City and Doomed Megapolis were hitting the video store, Lily-C.A.T. holds off on showing real gore or violence until poo poo hits the fan for everyone, so the moment is doubly shocking as the first sight of gore is combined with the characters figuring out there is an alien presence on-board. There was a moment where the characters start to fight to an escape and an 80s rock song kicks in, which I suppose some can consider cheesy in an otherwise suspenseful movie, but for me that's just a bonus. Best of all, its not even 70 minutes long. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

27. Vampire Wars: 55 minute film about a vampire biting a woman and a French spy investigating, getting mixed up with the CIA in the processes. Overall, I didn't like this one as much as Lily-C.A.T.: the story was a mess and it seemed particularly cruel against women (every single female character except the lead dies horribly and/or gets nude for the lead), but the action, of which there is a lot, is pretty cooly animated. Unlike Lily-C.A.T., this one loves brutal violence. It has a nice eye for detail, like when the main character drives a motorcycle at a barricade of armed men, we see the headlight as a straight white streak and the tail light as a zigzagging, dream-like red trail ghosting after him. Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't made into a series sometime over the last 20+ years; the background story we're info dumped late in the movie sounds like it needs at least a 2 hour film to digest if not a season, and I'm spoil you and tell you the ending is non-conclusive and very sudden. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5, but only for some badass action and nice animation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

timeandtide posted:

For a chance of pace, I watched two anime horror films from the late 1980s:

26. Lily-C.A.T.: A take on both Alien and The Thing, with the unique twist of the alien not being a cheap Geiger ripoff but rather disease/bacteria-based. There's several other nice twists on the formula, but I don't want to spoil those. The 80s animation has quite a lot of flair to it, giving us (once they finally decide to show the monster - wisely, they follow the advice of keeping horror off-screen or in the shadows for the first half of the movie) some really quite grotesque transformations. Despite being made in that period where brutal films like Wicked City and Doomed Megapolis were hitting the video store, Lily-C.A.T. holds off on showing real gore or violence until poo poo hits the fan for everyone, so the moment is doubly shocking as the first sight of gore is combined with the characters figuring out there is an alien presence on-board. There was a moment where the characters start to fight to an escape and an 80s rock song kicks in, which I suppose some can consider cheesy in an otherwise suspenseful movie, but for me that's just a bonus. Best of all, its not even 70 minutes long. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

27. Vampire Wars: 55 minute film about a vampire biting a woman and a French spy investigating, getting mixed up with the CIA in the processes. Overall, I didn't like this one as much as Lily-C.A.T.: the story was a mess and it seemed particularly cruel against women (every single female character except the lead dies horribly and/or gets nude for the lead), but the action, of which there is a lot, is pretty cooly animated. Unlike Lily-C.A.T., this one loves brutal violence. It has a nice eye for detail, like when the main character drives a motorcycle at a barricade of armed men, we see the headlight as a straight white streak and the tail light as a zigzagging, dream-like red trail ghosting after him. Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't made into a series sometime over the last 20+ years; the background story we're info dumped late in the movie sounds like it needs at least a 2 hour film to digest if not a season, and I'm spoil you and tell you the ending is non-conclusive and very sudden. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5, but only for some badass action and nice animation.

If you haven't seen it yet I'd recommend Cybernetics Guardian, as it's another short and sweet OVA of that nature

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
15. Day of the Dead (original)
16. Dawn of the Dead (remake)
17. Zombieland
18. Shaun of the Dead
19. Frankenstein's Army
20. Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead
21. The Thing (1982)
22. The Thing (2011)
23. The Amityville Horror (2005)
24. Dark Skies
25. The Descent
26. Jacob's Ladder
27. Silent Hill

28. Silent Hill: Revelation - Yeah it's inferior to the first movie, but I think it still did some neat stuff. The practical monster effects were still great, the set and location design for both worlds was still great, and I liked the design of the mannequin-spider monster (even if it was dragged down by the poor CGI). The fight at the end was pretty goofy, and it still had a lot of half-baked ideas, but I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up movie with Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean trying to escape from Silent Hill. I even liked the game character cameo double-play at the very end of the movie; I thought they were well executed if you're a fan of the games, without being intrusive or distracting if you aren't.

29. Friday the 13th (2009 remake) - I've never been a huge F13 fan; it's not that I dislike the movies, I've just never really sat down to watch all of them so the only stuff I've seen has either been in bits and pieces - although I've seen Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, and Freddy vs Jason in their entirety. My dad bought a used bluray player off ebay a while back and the seller threw in a random bluray, so he gave it to me. The movie's case said it was the original Friday the 13th, so I figured "hey, now's a good time to watch the original, which I've never seen", but I opened up the case and inside was the remake. I hadn't seen that either, so I shrugged and said "welp, let's do this I guess!" I liked it a lot more than I thought I would; I liked that Jason wasn't a supernatural monster, he was just a brutally efficient (and really drat tough) survivalist effortlessly taking down vastly inferior opponents. It was like watching 'First Blood' from the perspective of the police.

30. Carriers - This wasn't quite what I expected it to be (shocking, scary), but I still dug it for what it was. It was largely believable, the characters were pretty relateable, but in a post-Walking Dead world it's sort of a tough sell to someone who hasn't seen it before. I don't regret watching it, but in retrospect it's kinda not really a horror movie.

31. Manos: The Hands of Fate - I couldn't think of a more fitting movie as the 31st movie in my challenge. :v: I watched the restored bluray version (I backed the restoration on Kickstarter), and it's pretty neat seeing my own name in the credits as a "donor". As low-rent as the movie is, I'll give it credit for having a solid framework for a horror movie. I think in more capable hands, and with a budget larger than $4.71, Manos could be remade into something genuinely scary.

~*~EXTRA CREDIT~*~

32. Infini - Stumbled across the trailer for this on youtube, and while the trailer pitches it like Event Horizon + Resident Evil (which I'm very okay with), the actual movie is much more like "what if Solaris was a violent horror movie?". It's a sort of "first contact" movie with an alien entity that fundamentally doesn't understand humans (with disastrous results) but isn't inherently malicious, and I dug that. Despite being an arguably low-budget movie, it never feels low-budget - the sets all look great, the CGI and other visual effects are above average, and even the acting and characters were largely believable and interesting (especially once people start losing their poo poo). The dialogue felt natural without getting bogged down in technobabble, as well. If I had to fault the movie for anything, it's that it takes a bit of a shotgun approach and has a bunch of interesting ideas that don't always get payoffs. The whole "dangers of slipstreaming data corruption" idea from the opening text doesn't really go anywhere except for the very end, and the payoff is pretty half-baked and largely unnecessary. The movie is still very much worth a watch, I was pleasantly surprised.

timeandtide posted:

Well I know what I'm watching today, this sounds like it is very much my jam. :cheers:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
31child’s play

Which I thought I had seen before, but I guess I hadn't? Maybe never finished watching because I didn't remember anything past when the mom tries to throw chucky in the fire.

It definitely made me nostalgic to be a kid in the 80s.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Final Girl
A girl gets trained to fight back against some unsuspecting killers. Man, this movie. Ugh. She is frustratingly not very well trained. The killers she is facing don't seem like that big of a threat. None of it makes sense.

No girl would get into a car with their essentially blind date and his three creepy creepy friends. No trained fighter would abandon weapons the way she does. She takes every advantage, except, y'know, the utterly obvious ones like "keeping this axe". Commentary on similar actions in horror movies, or just poorly plotted nonsense? You decide.
0/5

Southbound
An anthology of lightly connected stories, Southbound is fairly interesting but doesn't really pull it off. Some good stories in the middle, though I think I rolled my eyes at the wrap-around.
2/5

Halloween 2
Takes place immediately after the end of the first movie, and ups the ante in every way: more gruesome kills, more kills, and a more invincible villain.

None of these make the film better, in any way, and I prefer a villain who seems human. This is where Michael Myers begins to enter into Jason territory and become the unkillable ubermonster. Still, not an awful sequel.
3/5

Halloween 3 rewatch
This movie is so dumb and I love it for it.

Halloween 3 attempts to abandon Michael Myers and tell and entirely new and unique story. Boy does it.

When a Halloween costume owner gets killed, a doctor (?) and the guy's daughter investigate and discover a strange and complicated conspiracy. It's paced poorly, but the revelations are just so ridiculous and the ending is wonderfully dark.
4/5

Frankenstein
Classic for a reason. Beautiful film, and Karloff is a great Frankenstein. Doctor Frankenstein is fully the villain here, and if you don't end up feeling sorry for the monster maybe the real monster is you.
4/5

Jekyll & Hyde ... Together Again
A movie in the style of Airplane and Naked Gun, filled with constant stupid puns and jokes. Not all of them land, but the ones that do are really funny. Shockingly accurate to the original story, only here the drug that transforms Jekyll is cocaine.
4.5/5

The Sentinel
What a fantastically weird film. A model moves into a new apartment with strange neighbors, including a blind priest upstairs constantly looking out his window. It didn't entirely work for me; I didn't feel like the reactions were accurate to some of the reveals. Like, things that should freak her out do not.
3/5

Angel Heart rewatch
Worth it just for De Niro chewing scenery as the devil.

The plot meanders a bit, and the central mystery is a bit ridiculous, but it's an entertaining watch.
3/5

Halloween 4
Halloween III was...not successful at escaping the orbit of Michael Myers, and so 4 returns to familiar territory. Now, Myers is full-on invincible and unstoppable, and just killing entire locations full of people for fun. Meh. The little girl at the center of it all was ok.
1.5/5

Halloween 5
Oh, we're doing this again? OK. Once again Michael survives a barrage and continues his hunt. The little girl from the last film, now psychically connected to him for some reason, is still the intended prey, but I wouldn't say Michael has a lot of focus here. A series lowpoint, I hope.
1/5

Rope
Great film. Two men strangle an 'inferior classmate', and then hold a dinner party over his dead body to revel in their success. Their hubris becomes their undoing.

Hitchcock plays with the form here, hiding cuts to make it appear like one long interrupted take. Regular conversations continue along in the background, making the whole thing feel like an actual dinner party, and the whole thing was very tense. Jimmy Stewart is great.
5/5

The Legend of Hell House
A group of scientist and mystics head into a haunted house to attempt to clear the haunting. Some pretty enjoyable scenes of ghosts in action, separated by boring exposition.
2.5/5

The Relic
A scientist of some sort sends his jungle findings back to a museum, where a creature begins to kill people.

I am lucky I remembered that much. An immensely forgettable film, deadly boring with a mystery that you have no reason to care about, and characters who you also have no reason to care about. Also, one of the darkest movies I've ever seen, presumably to hide cheap and terrible sets?
0/5

44. The Mangler
Entertaining but not good.

Has a laundromat's sheet press been inadvertently possessed? Or has it always been evil?

The movie doesn't really pick a side here, which makes the plot confusing and convoluted, probably solely to fill time. Based on a ten page short story they had to expand it somehow, and most of what was added is pretty awful.

Still, an insane movie that goes to some interesting and enjoyable places.
3/5

• Locked thread