Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

8.Black Sabbath

This is a great anthology by Mario Bava, I'd say that all three stories were consistently good. The first segment is a lot less Bava than the other two, it takes place in a nice, brightly lit apartment and you could probably watch it without realizing who the director is. Not so for the next two segments. The second story features Boris Karloff and its full of a lot of the awesome gothic stuff that Bava is so great at. Cold, foggy nights at country house in the middle of nowhere, dogs howling at the moon, and a slightly unusual take on the typical vampire myths.

The third story is what most people consider the best, and its also got Bava written all over it. Whacked out lighting and an unbelievably creepy prop of a dead woman make it a very unsettling story, and the ending is really great. All in all this is probably one of the most consistent anthologies out there in terms of quality, maybe matched only by Creepshow.

I know I watched it about two years ago, but I don't remember anything anyone's talking about. Time for a re-watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Black Sabbath is one of my favorites and the Karloff segment is one of my absolute favorite monsters that gets under my skin in a way I can never shake.

I also think if you like that its worth checking out the "Skin and Bones" episode of Fear Itself, which basically remade that story with Doug Jones in the Karloff role. A truly terrifying performance, IMO, in an otherwise forgettable anthology series.

Its even apparently up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIpLjjKoa0s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

joylessdivision posted:

Did you watch the American dub or the original Italian cut? They are arranged differently and I believe it ends with the Karloff story with the creepy faucet story in the middle.

Ah that's right, I forgot the other version mixes up the order. I can see how the Karloff story might work even better at the end, because Karloff does the intro to the movie, and then you kind of forget about him and when he dramatically turns around its like BAM surprise Karloff in your face. It would probably be even more effective the longer he's been off-screen since the intro.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

31 - finished the new Rob Zombie movie. If you like Rob Zombie movies, lots of gore, violence, death, and bad acting by his wife, then I'm sure you'll enjoy this movie as well. I thought the premise sounded cool, 5 people are kidnapped and have to survive 12 hours being hunted by different crazy murderers, but overall it wasn't too good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

I googled it and it's also on Hulu. Not that I would know because searching/browsing Hulu is terrible. I really hope filmstruck's is better

Nakagawa has had six of his films translated into English as far as I can tell. Two of them are in the Criterion Collection and I found Black Cat Mansion (which wasn't as good but was pretty neat) and Vampire Lady (kind of weird and not so good) on YouTube. The other translated movies I haven't been able to get my hands on at all even when I order copies of them. Even if I could find copies of his films untranslated, I might be willing to give them a try because his visual style, especially with color, is so arresting.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I recently discovered the joys of TCM, and they really are going all out this October. I made a list of all of the movies I want to watch or record to watch later, and I figured I'd share it with y'all. I didn't get everything, but I got everything from the theme nights (their "Stars of the Month" are Christopher Lee and Frankenstein, so expect a lot of Hammer Horror and Frankenstein movies) and a bunch of the rest of the great movies they've got. God help you without DVRs though because a good portion of these movies are showing at ungodly hours in the night (or for you night owls, at like 8am). I bolded some of the absolute stone cold classics they've got going, but there's enough variety here for everyone.

All times are CST:
Roar (1am 10/1)
Frankenstein (7pm 10/2)
Bride of Frankenstein (8:30pm 10/2)

Curse of the Cat People (3:45am 10/3)
Nosferatu (7pm 10/7)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (8:45pm 10/7)
Phantom of the Opera (12am 10/8)
The Zodiac Killer (1am 10/9)
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2:30am 10/9)
Hausu (1am 10/10)

The Haunting (2:30am 10/10)
The Face of Fu Manchu (7pm 10/10)
The Little Shop of Horrors (10:30 10/14)
The Innocents (7pm 10/15)
The Curse of Frankenstein (7pm 10/16)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (8:45 10/16)
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (1am 10/17)
The X from Outer Space (2:30am 10/17)
She (5pm 10/17)
Horror Hotel (7pm 10/17)
Horror Express (8:30pm 10/17)
The House That Dripped Blood (10:15pm 10/17)
The Woman who Wouldn’t Die (4:45am 10/18)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932) (5:15pm 10/18)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) (7pm 10/21)
Eyes Without a Face (9pm 10/21)

The Body Snatcher (10:45pm 10/21)
Jaws (7pm 10/22)

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed! (9pm 10/23)
Epidemic (1am 10/24)
The Satan Bug (3am 10/24)
The Gorgon (2:15pm 10/24)
Rasputin - The Mad Monk (5:15pm 10/24)
Horror of Dracula (7pm 10/24)
Dracula - Prince of Darkness (8:30pm 10/24)
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (10:15pm 10/24)
Logan’s Run (3:15pm 10/26)
Soylent Green (5:15pm 10/26)
Dracula (7pm 10/28)
The Mummy (8:30pm 10/28)
The Invisible Man (10pm 10/28)
The Wolf Man (11:15pm 10/28)

The Black Cat (12:30am 10/29)
The Uninvited (1:45am 10/29)
Island of Lost Souls (3:30am 10/29)
The Devil-Doll (5am 10/29)
Bedlam (8am 10/29)
The Black Scorpion (11am 10/29)
The Blob (12:45pm 10/29)

Village of the Damned (2:15pm 10/29)
The Thing from Another World (3:45pm 10/29)
Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (5:30pm 10/29)
Blood and Black Lace (7pm 10/29)
Carnival of Souls (8:30pm 10/29)

It’s Alive (10pm 10/29)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (12:30pm 10/30)
Young Frankenstein (7pm 10/30)
The Monster (11pm 10/30)
Diabolique (1am 10/31)
Gaslight (3am 10/31)
Mark of the Vampire (5am 10/31)
Cat People (6:15am 10/31)

I Walked with A Zombie (7:30am 10/31)
Dementia 13 (8:45am 10/31)
House of Wax (10:15am 10/31)
Black Sabbath (11:45am 10/31)
Dead of Night (1:30pm 10/31)
House on Haunted Hill (3:30pm 10/31)

The Haunting (5pm 10/31)
The Devil’s Bride (7pm 10/31)
The Mummy (1959) (8:45pm 10/31)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (10:30pm 10/31)
Scream of Fear (12:15am 11/1)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've got no real theme this year other than watching things I haven't seen before:

Frankenstein (1910)
The Golem (1920)
Faust (1926)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928, Epstein)
Son of Kong (1933)
Mad Love (1935)
Dracula's Daughter (1936)
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)
Bluebeard (1944)
House of Wax (1953)
The Fly (1958)
Return of the Fly (1959)
The Brides of Dracula (1960)
The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Onibaba (1964)
Kwaidan (1964)
Taste of the Blood of Dracula (1970)
Belladonna of Sadness (1973)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Day of the Dead (1985)
The Fly (1986)
Sweet Home (1989)
Cronos (1993)
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)
Shadow of the Blair Witch (2000)
Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
My Name is Bruce (2007)
Evil Dead (2013)
It Follows (2014)
The Babadook (2014)
Crimson Peak (2015)
Shin Godzilla (2016)

Gonna try and watch all of this in order of release, though I'll end up sneaking Shin Godzilla in there early. I also had Resident Evil: Damnation as a part of this list originally, and while I watched and enjoyed that the other day it ended up being more of an action film than a horror film.

EDIT: Added in Son of Kong and My Name is Bruce.

EDIT 2: Added in Frankenstein (1910) and Dracula's Daughter because why not. I think this list is finalized for now, but that will probably change.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 30, 2016

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
9 Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan I quite enjoyed it but there's a scene where the dude keeps trying to kill the ghost and murdering innocent people. It happens like four times. I was like
'"dude stop stabbing people already!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

9 Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan I quite enjoyed it but there's a scene where the dude keeps trying to kill the ghost and murdering innocent people. It happens like four times. I was like
'"dude stop stabbing people already!"

It bothered me more that they let him off with a slap on the wrist after he murdered the entire household and said it was because of a ghost.

If you're running through lesser known Japanese horror films of the period, check out Kuroneko. It's by the same director as Onibaba and has many of the same themes, only Kuroneko goes heavily into the supernatural.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
9. Asylum

I probably need to track down more Amicus productions, because I've only see a small handful. This one is a really solid anthology that has two main draws: a unique wrap-around story and Peter Cushing. Cushing stars in only one segment, but he's great as always, and the wrap-around is a separate mystery of its own. I think I can describe the premise without any spoilers. A man responds to a wanted ad for a position at an asylum. When he arrives, he's told that the head doctor recently suffered a break-down, and is now a patient suffering from delusions and disassociate personality disorder. The main character will be awarded the job if only he can interview the patients and figure out which of them is actually the former doctor. As he interviews each one we see their story and how they came to be in the asylum.

All of the segments are entertaining and none of them stand out as a let-down to the others, which is all you can really ask of an anthology. The stories are also fairly unique for anthology, each one has at least one interesting twist on the usual tropes. Cushing's segment is particularly interesting, I actually wish it could have been made into a feature length film. Anyway, I highly recommend this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
5. V/H/S: Viral

This came up in the horror thread so I gave it a shot. Not very good! A short anyhology with a framing device trying too hard, despite a few good moments.

The first short about the magician broke away from the style, but didn't jive well with my expectations. Some fun moments, but I feel this story would have worked better by not conforming to the format, probably as a standalone short film.

The second short was better, but felt like it was trying too hard to be weird. I liked the idea, but something felt wrong with the pacing. I appreciate that it left a lot unexplained.

The third short was the best, basically a first person POV of a side-scroller beat-em-up with crazy cult people bad guys. It was fun.

The ending was forced and confused.

It's weird to watch an anthology where the shorts start bad then become okay. The whole thing just looked cheap and amateur (compared to the first two movies in the series), which I know is a ironic complaint for a found footage movie.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

9. Asylum

I probably need to track down more Amicus productions, because I've only see a small handful. This one is a really solid anthology that has two main draws: a unique wrap-around story and Peter Cushing. Cushing stars in only one segment, but he's great as always, and the wrap-around is a separate mystery of its own. I think I can describe the premise without any spoilers. A man responds to a wanted ad for a position at an asylum. When he arrives, he's told that the head doctor recently suffered a break-down, and is now a patient suffering from delusions and disassociate personality disorder. The main character will be awarded the job if only he can interview the patients and figure out which of them is actually the former doctor. As he interviews each one we see their story and how they came to be in the asylum.

All of the segments are entertaining and none of them stand out as a let-down to the others, which is all you can really ask of an anthology. The stories are also fairly unique for anthology, each one has at least one interesting twist on the usual tropes. Cushing's segment is particularly interesting, I actually wish it could have been made into a feature length film. Anyway, I highly recommend this.

The trailer for Asylum is good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

5. V/H/S: Viral

This came up in the horror thread so I gave it a shot. Not very good! A short anyhology with a framing device trying too hard, despite a few good moments.

I passed on this one on the advice of the horror thread and I probably made the right choice. Especially since I ended up substituting two Vincent Price Anthologies and Asylum. I definitely came out a head on that one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

1. Frankenstein (1910)

This is a weird movie, especially for a relatively early silent. I think the implication is that the Monster doesn't actually exist, and only existed in Dr. Frankenstein's head? Can't say I've ever seen a take on the story like that before- especially from this time period. Interesting design for the Monster that kind of resembles more what I think of, I dunno, Renfield to look like in Dracula adaptations, but I don't have much else to say about the film I'm afraid.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 30, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Fun fact: The special effects process for making the monster on camera is the same one they used for Frank coming back to life in Hellraiser, and Freddy in NoES 3: Melt a wax dummy with layers to it, and film it in reverse!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

2. The Golem

Not sure what to make of this one. Oppressed Jews use their magic to make a clay monster, though eventually the monster goes out of control.

Visually it is great to look at, being in the same expressionist mold as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and the like. I think it's overall a more effective movie, though I'm really wrestling with it thematically. I can't quite decide if I think it's more about empowering an oppressed people, or about how those crafty Jews use their Jewish magic to make a big, scary Jewish monster (This is still a German film after all, made for a people that would become the Nazis in just a few years). There might be just as much evidence to support either reading of sympathy or propaganda, and I'd be curious to know what others think of this. Either way it's still got some great special effects and set design.

Choco1980 posted:

Fun fact: The special effects process for making the monster on camera is the same one they used for Frank coming back to life in Hellraiser, and Freddy in NoES 3: Melt a wax dummy with layers to it, and film it in reverse!
I'm not familiar with either of those other two films, but that's interesting to know!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I'm not familiar with either of those other two films, but that's interesting to know!

Welp, now you know what you're watching this month.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal: The List

Proto-Slasher
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
2. Fritz Lang's M (1931)
3. The Old Dark House (1932)
4. And Then There Were None (1945)
5. House of Wax (1953)
6. Night of the Hunter (1955)
7. Eyes Without a Face (1960)
8. Psycho (1960)
9. The Abominable Dr Phibes

Man, that is a sick poster.
and
10. Dr. Phibes Rises Again

Both of these both seem equally legitimate, and both very different. Plus, that second one really freaks me out.

I chose to reflect on both of these films in one post, as most of what I can say about both is a reflection on the first vs. the second. Plus I figured that both films, sharing much of the same cast and crew, and released in such a short amount of time, it's safe to consider them a package than as bespoke films. In any case, what really set these films from the rest is the amount of fun that fills the screen. They may not be the most fun viewing experiences (and that is not a knock against the two films quality), but rather an expression of the creativity and jovial manner the film carries itself. It's legitimately funny, and occasionally kinda clever in a kind of Edgar Wright kinda sense. The first one kinda just comes down to a vehicle for creative and ludicrous methods of murder, but it's style and characters do elevate it into something that is more than just a horror flick. There's genuine craft, packing these moments between death and tension with frivolous moments that give it character and charm. And those moments of murder just continue those moments in ways that are fun and revealing. And in one case, coming up with perhaps the most iconic, unexpected, and hilarious death scene that I've ever seen. It's a 70's film through and through, being colored by a light psychedelia that pervades Phibes art deco abode, and his sense of vengeance. The only downside to the first one, especially still having House of Wax still fresh on the mind, is that it just feels like Price is underutilized. It certainly feels to me that his biggest strength as an actor is the way he can read his lines with such control, persuasion, and charm, that giving him the role of a mostly-mute antagonist seems mostly miscast. He does have the physical presence that controls the scene, but not in the same way that, say, Christopher Lee does.

Thankfully, the sequel does less to disappoint on that front. Whereas in the first, it seems to take half of it's run time to get to any dialog by Price. In this one, he starts monologuing from pretty much moment one. And not even in the stilted, struggling way from the first, but in a much more natural way that only Vincent Price does. And for the most part he continues to do so throughout the running time, though perhaps out of necessity. Where the first film pretty much revealed the driving force of it's plot as soon as it could, this one feels a lot more nebulous. It's reason for the wanton murder seems less purposeful, it's character's reasons for being and their motivations are shrouded in mystery, and the 'McGuffin' that propels the plot is explained in bits and pieces, with it's where and how seemingly made up as they went along. And in that sense, the first film is certainly a strong feature of the two. But I do think that the second is worth while. It's Egyptian setting is certainly a shift from civilized setting of the first, giving it a kinda Indiana Jones feel despite coming out about 10 years before it. Taken in volume, it certainly isn't anymore stylized than it's predecessor. But the way it uses that sense of flair within the film's story just makes it even more ridiculous than the first. Though that is probably a reflection of the film's escalation to out do the original. It's humor is more broad, becoming Laurel and Hardy-esq; it's method of murder is more over-the-top; hell it's story has become more grand to contain Pharaohs and eternal life. And it all seemed to be building towards a sequel that, if not capping of the series than at least paving the way for the continuing adventures of Phibes. Which is perhaps the biggest shame, as these two films promised something that could of been great. A number of films, featuring a pseudo-mystical megalomaniac who journeys across the globe, creatively murdering anyone that comes between him and his search for global domination, even becoming a hero in a certain sense. And yet a third one never did get made, leaving it's story untold. But still, these films were a unique experience for me, and I do implore the rest of you to seek them out if you haven't. They're just too much fun not to share.

Next up: A Bay of Blood

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 30, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That unicorn kill in Phibes is an all-timer. When I saw that for the first time I had to pause it because I was laughing to hard to pay attention to the movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

2. The Golem

Not sure what to make of this one. Oppressed Jews use their magic to make a clay monster, though eventually the monster goes out of control.

Visually it is great to look at, being in the same expressionist mold as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and the like. I think it's overall a more effective movie, though I'm really wrestling with it thematically. I can't quite decide if I think it's more about empowering an oppressed people, or about how those crafty Jews use their Jewish magic to make a big, scary Jewish monster (This is still a German film after all, made for a people that would become the Nazis in just a few years). There might be just as much evidence to support either reading of sympathy or propaganda, and I'd be curious to know what others think of this. Either way it's still got some great special effects and set design.

I think it makes Jews "the other" which is a problem, but it's sympathetic to them as an oppressed people which makes both readings correct at the same time!

The Golem is visually interesting, but I feel that it's definitely the leftover movie in the German Expressionist horror film category.

I'm really looking forward to getting started tomorrow. I need to pick out my movie now...

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I'm really looking forward to getting started tomorrow. I need to pick out my movie now...

I'm excited too, enough that I went through the trouble of picking every movie, with Audition and Tucker&Dale as floaters. Theoretically up for modification but I love the idea of basically every pairing as well as how everything flows together. I'd have put 10 Cloverfield Lane on the 10th but I want to watch it ASAP, and I'd put 1408 on the 14th but I can't break up the slasherfest starting on the 13th. You could call the room itself a slasher, but as is I like it being tucked between The Shining and Triangle.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I generally like psychological horror and have seen most of the ones that I think I'd want to see, but still managed to put together a list based on cobbling together many other internet lists, even if I had to pad it a bit with things that probably don't count but whatever, it's my list, I do what I want!

I'm not going to do 1 per day since I know there are a few days near the end of the month there's no way I'll be able to watch, so it's a free for all!

Movies I've never seen that at least one internet weirdo put on a psychological horror list
Funny Games
Requiem for a Dream
Jacob's Ladder
Haunting in Connecticut
The Skeleton Key
The Bone Collector
The Machinist
The Uninvited
Frailty
Hide and Seek
In the Mouth of Madness
Zodiac
Marnie
The Orphanage
Repulsion
The Innocents
Don't Look Now
Seconds
A History of Violence
Let the Right One In
Pulse (Japanese) or Kairo
The Interview
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Green Room
They Look Like People
Hush
The Devil's Backbone
What Lies Beneath
The Nameless
Village Of The Damned

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That's an awesome list. You are going to have a hell of a time.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Posted this in the Horror thread but figured might as well do it here...

Shudder sent out their October schedule....

The complete schedule

OCTOBER 1
TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE COMPLETE SERIES - ONLY ON SHUDDER

OCTOBER 3
DUNGEON OF HARROW (Dir. Pat Boyette)
SNAPSHOT (Dir. Eric Etebari)
SOULMATE (Dir. Axelle Carolyn)
TONY: LONDON SERIAL KILLER (Dir. Gerard Johnson)

OCTOBER 5
CHERRY TREE (Dir. David Keating)

OCTOBER 6
DEMONS OF LUDLOW (Dir. Bill Rebane) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
HARLEQUIN (Dir. Simon Wincer) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
HOUSE OF THE LIVING DEAD (Dir. Ray Austin) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
MIRROR/MIRROR (Dir. Marina Sargenti) - ONLY ON SHUDDER

OCTOBER 11
HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM (Dir. Arthur Crabtree)
INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS (Dir. Ed Adlum) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
LA GRANDE BOUFFE (Dir. Marco Ferreri) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK (Dir. Charles B. Pierce)

OCTOBER 13
BLOOD RAGE (Dir. John Grissmer)
DARKLANDS (Dir. Julian Richards) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
TFUNERAL HOME (Dir. William Fruet)
THE STENDHAL SYNDROME (Dir. Daril Argento) - ONLY ON SHUDDER

OCTOBER 17
BELLADONNA OF SADNESS (Dir. Eiichi Yamamoto) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
CONTAMINATION (Dir. Lewis Coates) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS (Dir. Takashi Miike) ONLY ON SHUDDER
YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY (Dir. Sergio Martino) ONLY ON SHUDDER

OCTOBER 20
BEYOND THE WALLS (Dir. Hervé Hadmar) - A SHUDDER EXCLUSIVE

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I'm gonna watch Happiness of the Katakuris so hard.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This looks fun. Gonna shoot for 1 movie a day, though I don't have a list planned out.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

1. Awakening of the Beast (1970) 5/5

2. The Baby (1973) 4/5

3. Shocker (1989)

Shocker is a movie about deranged killer, Mitch Pileggi. And a ghost. And a TV ghost. And spirit possession, astral projection, and family intrigue. Wait- two family intrigues. And a hero on the run. There's also a prison breakout, a rash of murders, another rash of murders, a part where the TV ghost gets loose, uh.. gently caress it.

If this movie was simply bad instead of confusing and boring, I might've enjoyed it more.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Thirsty Girl posted:

1. Awakening of the Beast (1970) 5/5

2. The Baby (1973) 4/5

3. Shocker (1989)

Shocker is a movie about deranged killer, Mitch Pileggi. And a ghost. And a TV ghost. And spirit possession, astral projection, and family intrigue. Wait- two family intrigues. And a hero on the run. There's also a prison breakout, a rash of murders, another rash of murders, a part where the TV ghost gets loose, uh.. gently caress it.

If this movie was simply bad instead of confusing and boring, I might've enjoyed it more.

I love Shocker purely on how much Mitch Pileggi is obviously enjoying chewing the scenery in every goddamn scene, he's a joy to watch.

So far I've got two down...

1. Cujo which is a rewatch, not a bad King adaptation but it just takes too long to get going and Danny Pintauro is such a whiny little kid you just want Dee Wallace to give him to the dog. Jan de Bont's camera work is pretty good and includes a nifty 360 shot from inside the car.
2. Chupacabra vs. the Alamo Typical SyFy stuff, I gotta admit a soft spot for a lot of these because as bad as they are, they're rarely boring and usually good for some dumb fun viewing.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Shocker, at least, has way more energy and invention than Spontaneous Combustion. At least Shocker tries, especially in that absolutely insane finale.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
6. They Look Like People

Don't they?

You know how you watch a movie, and you're like, 'This dude's crazy'? This is a movie circling around that feeling.

What we get is 80 minutes of agoraphobia, paranoid horror. It doesn't hit hard, but it's interesting and it maintains its creepiness.

I was impressed to find out the writer/director/producer was also the editor and camera man. The movie doesn't come off as amateurish at all. I'll keep an eye out for his next.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:skeltal: The List

Proto-Slasher
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
2. Fritz Lang's M (1931)
3. The Old Dark House (1932)
4. And Then There Were None (1945)
5. House of Wax (1953)
6. Night of the Hunter (1955)
7. Eyes Without a Face (1960)
8. Psycho (1960)
9. The Abominable Dr Phibes (1971)
10. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972)
11. Mario Bava's Bay of Blood (1971)
(A.K.A. Twitch of the Death Nerve)

(A.K.A Carnage, Blood Bath, Chain Reaction, The Antecendent, Bloodbath Bay of Death, The Last House on The Left Part II, A Bay of Blood, Ecology of Crime, and Do We Have An Official Title For This Film?)

So, my first Giallo film, and honest feelings, I feel like this is the weakest link of all of these films. Not to say it was bad or I disliked it, but it is on a list with Psycho, Night of the Hunter, M, etc. It certainly shows it's shoestring budget, but kinda makes up for it with an intelligent style. Certainly what you aren't watching it for is story, which is for the most part is kinda schizophrenic. It seems to shift plot in an attempt to shock and surprise the audience, but to the expense of narrative cohesion. As I've come to understand it's kind of a staple of the genre to be kinda nonsensical, so I guess it's best to watch these akin to a roller coaster ride. And it certainly does that, satisfying more than anyone's fill of bloodlust. And to spoil the last bit of the film, I thought the best it got was when everyone, independent of one another, decides that everyone and anyone needs to die, now. It's ridiculous and incredibly fun. And the amount of brutal murder, even from moment one got a legit reaction out of me. I can totally see how people just flipped the gently caress out when it first came out. Especially that big 'gently caress You' ending. And yet despite the killing, the film at least presented it's murders not for the sake of bloodshed, but for another dumb reason itself. Like it was afraid to go to the lengths of just presenting killing for killing's sake that would define slashers a decade later. In any case, the only legitimate complaint I had was the sound mixing. At least on the copy I saw, the dialog was annoying low, and yet weirdly capable of peaking. And the music tended to get a lot louder than the dialog most of the time. And I know it's hard to get good audio, but it's kinda hard to believe they got it that wrong when everything seemed like it was dubbed after the fact. And I'm not even talking about dubbing over Italian, it seemed like everyone was talking English in front of the camera and they redubbed it later. Like I said, it clearly shows it's shoestring budget. In any case, it was a fun little lark that I'm sure influenced horror films in ways that I can't really comprehend, especially in upping the ante that slashers would in the decades since. And once more, super easy to find on YouTube.

Next up: Torso

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Thirsty Girl posted:

Shocker, at least, has way more energy and invention than Spontaneous Combustion. At least Shocker tries, especially in that absolutely insane finale.

Man, I barely remember Spontaneous Combustion which says a lot about a movie (Nothing good) that stars Brad Dourif.

3. The Cabining Dumb Horror-Comedy that isn't good at either, it's just really loving stupid.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
1. The Walking Dead (1936)
This is a gangster movie crossed with Frankenstein. An innocent man (Boris Karloff) is framed for murder, and gets executed. A scientist who knows he was innocent resurrects him and he seeks revenge and closure. It's a pretty decent flick, and it has a very short run time at 65 minutes so it moves along quite quickly. The movie owes a lot to Frankenstein, not only in terms of casting but also in terms of imagery and themes. The resurrection scenes borrow heavily from the 1931 movie, and both stories deal with the consequences of trying to learn what happens after death.

It's interesting to see a crime movie mixed with horror in this fashion; typically, crime/horror movies usually only focus on serial killers. I'm interested to know if there are other gangster movies that deal with supernatural elements.

I am pretty sure this ones airing on TCM sometime this month, and I'd recommend watching or recording it when it does. As I mentioned, it's only 65 minutes so it really does go by quickly.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
Ok, this is a great idea!

Looking forward to watch a dozen+ horror movies in October.

These 13 I will watch and post on my thoughts later:

01. Alien 3 Directors Cut --> have seen theatrical, but not this version yet
02. Silver Bullet --> have read the book, not seen the movie
03. Galaxy of Terror --> have not seen this movie before
04. In the Mouth of Madness --> not seen before, and I've just recently found Carpenter and love his movies (and especially his soundtracks)
05. Possession --> have not seen this movie before
06. Rosemarys Baby --> have read the book, not seen the movie
07. Sleepaway Camp --> have not seen this movie before
08. Suspiria --> have not seen this movie before
09. The Burning --> saw this when I was... 8 I think? Was too scared to watch the whole thing :P
10. The Frighteners --> have not seen this movie before
11. The Entity --> Saw this about 20 years ago, need to see it again
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre --> Eh yeah... ashamed to say I have never seen it before...
13. The Wicker Man --> have not seen this movie before

If I have time, I will be also trying to watch:
A. The Haunting
B. The Omen
C. The Badadook
D. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
E through Z A lot of the sequels to Friday the Thirteenth and ANOES

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DjLando posted:

04. In the Mouth of Madness --> not seen before, and I've just recently found Carpenter and love his movies (and especially his soundtracks)
05. Possession --> have not seen this movie before
08. Suspiria --> have not seen this movie before
10. The Frighteners --> have not seen this movie before
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre --> Eh yeah... ashamed to say I have never seen it before...

Oh, man, you're in for a real treat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

IT BEGINS

#1: The Wicker Tree (2011)

Beth Boothby is a former pop country star, now born again Christian. Her and her fiance Steve are chosen to go to Scotland in a combination missionary/singing endeavor. Their benefactor for the tour, Sir Lachlan Morrison invites them to come ply their faith in his mostly pagan village (which quietly seems bereft of children), which he oversees from his power plant (which happened to have a small accident ten years prior). While there, Beth and Steve are nominated to be the "Queen and Laddie of May", prestigious positions in the local Mayday ceremonies that aren't really explained to the visiting Texans. Some things seem hidden and off about this village, as the pair are soon to find out...

Robin Hardy is a unique footnote in horror history. Starting out doing small time plays and commercials and the like internationally, he exploded on the scene with 1973's "The Wicker Man", a film about faith and religion of different stripes that remains intense and searing even upon repeat viewings. But mostly that was all he did. He directed another movie and wrote a third in the 80s that both sound interesting to me but I have not seen, and that seemed to be it, with him preferring to work as a novelist. Then, in 2006, his film was remade starring Nicolas Cage, and has become legendary in its unintentional comedy. In reaction, Hardy wrote a thematic followup to his film, entitled Cowboys For Christ, seemingly in protest. Five years later he adapted the book into this film.

Updated to nearly 40 years later, this film shares much of the same subject matter and plot progression as its predecessor, yet does just as much to make things its own unique thing. I feel like much of the film seems to be attempting to address how very little is different between religions, as shown both in the way hymnals feature prominently on both sides of the debate given, and in the way much of the proselytizing is responded to with politeness more than understanding. At the same time, much like in the original, there is a deep undercurrent of warning of the dangers of blind faith, and how much it belies self reliance and critical thinking (it is pretty much flat out said about a third of the way in that the power plant accident tainted the water table and has made the men of the village infertile, but the villagers instead put their faith in their goddess to repair the damage). It is not subject matter to be taken lightly, for sure. Also like the first film, even suspecting what is to come by the climax, one can't help but feel dread, as if the leads are being pulled along in a whirlpool, and nothing can change their fate. Technically, the film is a delight for the eyes, with beautiful open Scottish countryside, and interiors with several stories worth of decoration and detail. Curiously, the soundtrack is a bit of a throwback from before John Williams conquered Hollywood, with a strong focus on woodwinds and flutes rather than bombast and horns, it's a sort of sound one might expect from a film made in the 70s than one made only five years ago.

I give The Wicker Tree :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DjLando posted:

The original one, right? Because that's one of the all time greats when the remake is one of the all time worst. (See above review that comments on it.)

Thanks for pointing out The Wicker Tree. I'm adding it to my list for the month.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water

Random Stranger posted:

The original one, right? Because that's one of the all time greats when the remake is one of the all time worst. (See above review that comments on it.)

Thanks for pointing out The Wicker Tree. I'm adding it to my list for the month.

Yeah the original :) I think I saw 10 minutes of the remake a couple of years ago, and just now learned through this thread that the original is very good indeed...

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, man, you're in for a real treat.

I am stoked! October is going to be a very good movie month :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ah, this is always fun!

I always try to stick to movies I haven't seen, but I saw some fun things last year that I kind of want to rewatch. We'll see.

Started with kind of a dud, though.

1. The Conjuring 2 - Disappointing. It muddles the story by having such a goofily complex haunting, and far, FAR too many scenes rely on scary things that one character can see but others cannot. :spooky:.5/5.

• Locked thread