Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

VROOM VROOM posted:

Plus I know I'll need palate cleansers to follow each of Audition, Martyrs, and Noroi.

Just wondering, why would you put Noroi with the other two? I don't recall it being super-gruesome or nearly as dark as the other two.

Also if you're ever going to do a triple-header, The thing/prince of darkness/in the mouth of madness seems natural as they're carpenter's pseudo-trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Gonna shoot for 31 different new movies this month (roughly one a day). Not sure if I'll make it but it's worth a shot.

1. Body Melt
Basically, a corporation sends out an experimental new health supplement for testing to a sub-division, only there's some side effects still that have yet to be worked out. In the horror thread someone compared it to The Stuff, and I think that's a fair comparison. Although Body Melt feels a bit more fun/goofy vs. the cynicism in The Stuff. Also got kinda a Society vibe from it. Movie was fun throughout though, the effects were fairly well done and it never really drags.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

1. Body Melt :spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

2. Video Violence
Low budget 80's movie about a town with a mysterious affinity for VCRs, slasher movies, and a strange habit of outsiders disappearing. The opening set piece seems genuinely sleazy and creepy, but the remainder of the movie doesn't seem to ever get to that point again. Apparently the director made it as a response to the popularity of horror movies and other similar things he saw while working as a video clerk. This kinda shows through (there's an exchange in the movie that's apparently based directly on something that happened to him while working in a video store) and seems to cut through what could've been a low-budget classic if someone was more focused on making an effective horror movie. That said, there is some low-budget charm.
:spooky::spooky:.5/5

3. New York Ripper
A murderer is terrorizing New York City women by...well ripping them. This plays out like an extremely violent episode of a 70's police procedural. Just couldn't get into this one very much at all, had none of the weirdness and style that the other Fulci movies I've seen. The kills were ok, but nothing too memorable outside of the somewhat gratuitous nudity often featured in them.
:spooky::spooky:/5

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

2. Video Violence :spooky::spooky:.5/5
3. New York Ripper :spooky::spooky:/5

4. The Witch
Slow-burn period piece about a family that gets exiled from a colonial enclave and has to make their own way. Little House on the Prairie meets The Crucible, in a way. A lot of the conflict actually arises from the paranoia that grows in the family from the misfortunes that befall them (only some of which are supernaturally based). The way it's filmed really helps set the tone of the movie and helps build the tension that's slowly growing throughout. Really enjoyable, assuming you can deal with the slowish pacel
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 10, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

2. Video Violence :spooky::spooky:.5/5
3. New York Ripper :spooky::spooky:/5
4. The Witch :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

did some catching up this weekend

5. Under the Skin
A woman goes on a series of dates that are ultimately unfulfilling (or something). This is a very beautiful movie, and Scarlett Johansson's performance as an alien inhabiting a human body is really great-there's an emptiness, an flatness, an inhuman quality to her role that really helps set the tone of the movie and sells the story. In a way it kind of reminds me of Beyond the Black Rainbow which also had amazing visuals (and great sound) but there seemed something lacking overall to really hook me as a "horror" movie. It's very cold and cerebral, but I just wish personally there was a bit more to latch on to. It's a better viewing experience than horror experience.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

6. Turkey Shoot
Australian movie about a dystopian future where people who don't conform to society are shipped off to prison camps for reprogramming. Eventually a particularly unruly group of prisoners are offered the chance to be given freedom if they can survive being hunted for a day. This was a pretty fun movie. The characters are fairly one-dimensional (and the villains especially are pretty much cartoon characters) but the movie doesn't seem to take itself too serious anyways so it doesn't hurt. There's a couple of things that don't particularly make much sense but you're probably not expected to be thinking too hard about what's going on anyways.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

7. Cannibal Holocaust
Infamous movie about cannibals in the jungles of south america that features real animal deaths (be warned). I've seen parts of this before, but never watched the whole thing. It's surprisingly enough actually a decent movie, outside of all the shock stuff. Also it's a proto-found footage movie (the later portion is literally characters watching footage retrieved in the jungle from an earlier expedition). Lots of the visuals are on the more extreme end, and there's a couple of rape scenes that are particularly bad so this movie's not for everyone but it's definitely a horror classic with all it's flaws. The pacing is good, and the overall framing device just seems to work-there's actually a lot here I think more modern found footage movies could learn from. Also the score is AMAZING-just great track after great track.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

8. The Church
Hundreds of years ago a bunch of templars kill a group of "witches" and build a church upon the site to seal in the evil. Unsurprisingly, that evil is released to cause all sorts of problems. Not bad, but seemed a bit slow for my tastes. There's nothing that's especially bad about it, but there's also nothing that really grabs you. I'd much rather watch one of Fulci's well-known movies, or Demons 1/2 (which this is a "sequal" to). Very routine which isn't typically what draws me to Italian horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

1. Body Melt 3/5
2. Video Violence 2.5/5
3. New York Ripper 2/5
4. The Witch 4/5
5. Under the Skin 3.5/5
6. Turkey Shoot 3/5
7. Cannibal Holocaust 3.5/5
8. The Church 2.5/5

Falling behind a bit on my goal, but I still have time to catch up hopefully.

9. The Neon Demon
A wannabe model goes to Hollywood to try to find fame and finds something else entirely. I wanted to like this movie. It has Refn's typical style and everything looks wonderful. It just didn't seem to do much with all that style. The whole thing just kinda meanders along for the majority of it without anything much happening. There's these huge pauses between much of the dialogue that just makes it feel like the movie is both too long, and that it also needs more time to actually develop anything. The last 20 or so minutes shows a lot of promise for what the movie could've been, but it's just too little too late.

10. Phantasm Remastered
A tall man takes recycling to the next level. This is a movie that seemed to disappear for awhile but has recently gotten a lot of attention due to a remastered version and a new sequel. I always wondered how this fell off the radar so much-it seemed to have the same kind of following like Poltergeist/Hellraiser/Child's Play and other horror series that weren't quite at the level of popularity as Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street. It definitely stands up with them quality wise-the Tall Man makes for a striking villain, the protagonists are definitely people you can get behind, there's lots of little quirks and oddities that give the whole thing a surreal feel to it. Real fun movie.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 18, 2016

• Locked thread