Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Little late start, but I'm going for this again. Goal is 13 movies, at least 10 of them new.
I'm missing a lot of classics, so I have tons of options. Started with Nightmare on Elm Street last night. It's really clear that it's had an influence on a lot of other movies, and had some nifty effects, but not sure that it was interesting enough to sell me on the sequels .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

(1. nightmare on elm street.)
Watched

2. You're Next
For some reason I thought this would be a really unique film, but it wasn't really. Just home invasion + fighting back, with a bit of a twist that wasn't terribly shocking. It was fine, just not really memorable.
3. The Descent
Great claustrophobic feel. Some excellent scenes rising from the pool of blood(though the cg is a bit aged on some other scenes). Ending was pretty brutal.
4. The Borderlands
This was awesome; interesting characters and their dialog carried the beginning. I loved how the mannerisms the characters had, and how the whole deal was presented as "probably a hoax"...all the way until the ending.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
2. You're Next
3. The Descent
4. The Borderlands

5. 10 Cloverfield Lane
Pretty fantastic. Great how for so long, especially around the stitching scene, it was so believable that Howard was super cautious/paranoid but was alright in the end. Also it was interesting the ending scenes outside the bunker were just so much less intense and scary than inside.

6. Under the Skin
This was weird. I knew nothing going into it and am not sure I how much more I know afterwards. Definitely had some amazing scenes and a great soundtrack. In a way far scarier that any of the other movies I've seen recently, just in that I'll probably be thinking back to it more than the others.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finished my 13th new movie right on time. (grand total was 16 or so, but only counting new movies)

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
2. You're Next
3. The Descent
4. The Borderlands
5. 10 Cloverfield Lane
6. Under the Skin
7. Terror Of Dracula - Can't really say anything bad about it, it's just the Dracula with all the legends.
8. Phantasm 2 - This was pretty fun. Not really the strongest plot but the balls did their thing and that's what matters.
9. Bubba Ho-Tep - This was....kinda more depressing than funny or scary. Great acting, but not as ridiculous/campy as I expected.
10. Poltergeist - Didn't realize it was Spielberg! Pretty fun, though the whole thing kinda just made me want to rewatch Stranger Things more than anythnig else. The flashing during the TV scenes was pretty bad.
11. The Abominable Dr. Phibes - This was awesome, Like a comical 70s se7en.
The last two were kinda meant to be follow up on heavier scary movies but I ran out of time.
12. Little shop of horrors - Pretty fun, would be a good followup to something heavy.
13. Gremlins - Alright and kinda fun, but lots of bad choices by protagonists and some scenes (e.g. the long bar scene) just kinda dragged on.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread