Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've already started so between sept and October the goal is 31.

So far

1)Don't Breathe loved it until a particular scene towards the end took me out of it.felt like a gross out scene more suited for American pie. They could have even had the same thing happen but would have benefitted more from showing less

2Blair Witch kind of disappointing. Not a bad film but I expected more from wingard

3Bigfoot:the lost coast tapes some hot garbage. Definitely avoid, even if like me you have a high tolerance for found footage

4The Invitation really good little thriller. Definitely the best I've watched so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Has anybody heard about Filmstruck's horror selection? I mean beyond the criterion stuff that's bound to be on there?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
5-Them

It was pretty good. I had read a review promising a twist, so by the end I was like "that's it?" Super well made and tense, just don't expect a crazy twist. the it was kids thing... My hunch going in was that it might be her students, so I wasn't wildly surprised, when it turned out to be youngins. Totally would have smashed the kid with a rock after he kicked the dude down the ladder "I didn't do anything" my rear end.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
6-The Last Slumber Party] I really liked it. It's so lo-fi that it almost feels like watching a real video, and the house feels small and claustrophobic, the kids feel real. It definitely worked for me.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
7Vampyr I liked it. super atmospheric and had some really awesome shots

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
8 Jigoku trippy jazzy 60's visuals and a morality play with some cool gore effects? Hell yea!

pun not intended

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Watch Nakagawa's Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan as well. It's got a lot of that same visual flare applied to a traditional ghost story.

I googled it and it's also on Hulu. Not that I would know because searching/browsing Hulu is terrible. I really hope filmstruck's is better

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
9 Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan I quite enjoyed it but there's a scene where the dude keeps trying to kill the ghost and murdering innocent people. It happens like four times. I was like
'"dude stop stabbing people already!"

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hot off the scream stream-

10Interview with a Vampire

Which not so great. I mean it's not the worst vampire movie I"ve ever seen so It's got that going for it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
11Stoker

Dark, unsettling, and expertly crafted by Park. It's not my favorite film of his, but it might have gotten under my skin the most, with all of its weird sexual undercurrents.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
12incident at loch ness

I don't know if it really even counts as a horror film. Maybe just barely. More of a Super dry comedy about a Werner herzog doc that goes awry. I loved it, though the concept might have worked better if did more full on horror. Either way herzog rules

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
13Poltergeist II

Which certainly isn't as good as the first. There are bits I like, the whole old-timey apocalypse cult/native-southwest spirituality doesn't real gel with me. I think both ideas individually could have worked, and maybe somebody more talented could have written a script that explores christianity vs native spiritualism with a lot more deftness. That said, while muddled I didn't hate it and it had some cool scenes.

:ghost::ghost:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen this cut, so I'm counting it as new

14The Exorcist Director’s cut

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
15Cat People

I really enjoyed it. The use of light and shadow, the sound design, even its interesting sexual politics. I did not like the treatment of animals. Which is probably pretty typical for the time period, but all those kittens in a crate, and the poor big cats in small cages... I'm docking a cat.

:cabot::cabot::cabot::cabot:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
16demons

:krad:
80s and Italian as all hell.

:devil: :devil::devil::devil:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
17juon:the curse

I've never seen juon, or the grudge. I always got the impression they were too slick. I don't know if they are or not but the curse sure isn't. It has a super low budget 80s shot on shitteo vibe, and I love that and it.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Day 11 - I had been looking forward to watching The Witch. An atmospheric horror film with a distinctive setting? Sign me up! I wanted to like it but I felt like the whole thing was less than the sum of its parts.

Another person that doesn't love the witch!

That said I like the witch and love how atmospheric it is, and I get it's supposed to be historically accurAte, I just find the characters' behavior more frustrating than anything.

It's sort of like the opposite of a horror movie where people don't believe anything until it's too late. They believe everything way too quickly.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

But that's kind of the point? The characters are too quick to believe everything, but that was kind of the culture. Crops are bad? God's punishing you. Weather's bad? You're a sinner. Your child is sick? She must have played with dark arts. It's hard to conceptualize, but mass hysteria was a huge thing. You get a few people who delude themselves into thinking there's a witch amongst them and that fear spreads just like a virus, infecting people with delusions, bending reality to make sense of nothing. Just look at stories like The Dancing Plague of 1518, or The Mad Gasser of Mattoon of the 1930's, or many others. We still don't fully understand the psychology behind it, and it still happens to this day.

So in the reality of this family, I think their actions are understandable. They're not educated. Their father's a prideful prick, their mother's a loon, the only son is sexually obsessed with his sister, the two young children are trouble-makers, and now there's a new baby.They are all alone, trapped on a small failing farm together. I don't think they fully know why they are alone. People like to point that blame at anything they possibly can, and when you're in a society that explains tragedy with ideas of a vengeful God or spiritual warfare of a supernatural inclination, far-fetched conclusions will be reached quickly, especially if it points the blame away from themselves.

The real question is, what is the Witch? Is she, in this world, real? Satan's follower? Or is she the cruelty of nature incarnate? Is she an indifferent universe, something like a living example of chaos theory? Is she a karmic force?

The movie gives you just the right amount of information to try and figure things out. Anything left unexplained fuels the story. Why were they banished from the town? The answer, we are told, is pride, which we see, but what was done? How was his pride a reason for excommunication? What are these "strange beliefs" that worry the other villagers? Your own answer fuels the story. If the movie provided any answer to this, it would kills the story-book quality of the story. The story is a folk-tale, and is told as such.

Yea, I get that, but what doesn't work for me is in the reality of the film, witches and devils are real, and it doesn't do anything with that. Like it's not saying anything about mass hysteria, because in the reality of the film it isn't. They're not hysterical, they're just practical, even if their faith and beliefs are ineffective. Like in the last 5 minutes, you could kind of give it a feminist reading, but she's still divining her power from a man. I dunno. If it were the family just tearing themselves apart, and the reality of the devil and witches was left ambiguous it would have worked better for me. Or of Or if they did more with it all being real. Yea, they're real but maybe the family's weird rear end rituals and paranoia put them on top. Or maybe they're real, but look at what happened to your family. what's really evil in this world?

Like I said. they squeeze that in a little bit, at the end, but overall the film seems content to prevent this as a flat puritan folk tale. Which might have worked better if we saw the beginning of their downfall with the community, and what started the downward spiral

If I was grading it here, I'd give it 2.5, maybe 3 out of 5. I liked it, just not as much as everybody else.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

I guess my question to understand how you read the film is what makes you think the Witch is real?

the film ends and she makes a deal with the devil and then wanders off to join a coven of witches and floats off into the sky with them. I didn't think there was anything in the film to put the reality of what what was portrayed in to doubt.

anyway, next film on my list:

18juon:the curse part 2

more of the same (literally for the first half hour!) but otherwise just as good

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5 for the reuse of footage.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Two great criterion horror movies on Hulu thAt haven't been mentioned:

Valerie and her week of wonders
Picnic at hanging rock

Neither are super traditional horror but both are really good

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
19:WNUF Halloween Special

Is all style over substance. I wasn't too into the actual haunted house investigation bits, but everything surrounding it was nostalgia overdrive.

I'll split the difference

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
20Toad Road

:frog::frog::frog::frog:/5

I really enjoyed this one. I had really liked the director's other film Upstream Color, and this kind of tackles similar themes in a more straightforward way. It's not that a lot of spooky stuff happens in the film, but by the time it does, you're super invested in the characters. I'm glad it wasn't found footage, because it lets the film have a denouement , the found footage films by their nature almost never have.

Edit my mistake. This is from the guy who did felt.

I like it a helluva lot better than felt, and it reminds me more of upstream color than felt. Hell this and upstream color would make a great double feature.

I don't want to hate on felt. It's actually a good movie, it just isn't a fun watch. It's effective and uncomfortable, which is the point, I'm just never watching it again.

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 17, 2016

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
21Mockingbird

The hell did I watch? I mean it was just sort of a lame found footage movie, about different groups of people being forced to play a game. There's the comic relief clown character, who is sort of a sympathetic doofus, and if the movie was more competently made, it could have done something with that instead of what they did do which was nothing. And then there's the ending

so the movie takes place in 1995. And the set up for everything is super convoluted and involves super high tech (for 95 anyway) livestreaming cameras, so those behind everything can see whats going on. So thee's what amount to a Mexican standoff and all the characters shoot eachother and die. Then one of the cameras is picked up and we see all the culprits. It pulls a Them, and it's all a group of kids. Which makes no sense.

.5/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
22Shin Godzilla

Loved it. Godzzilla is back to being dark and monstrous, and it's paired with a sort of West Wingish approach to the human drama.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Another one thanks to scream stream

23Witchfinder General

PRice kills it, and I love the english country side atmosphere

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
24the manitou

What a weird and fun trippy movie. Thanks scream stream.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
25The Shiver of the Vampires

Not my favorite Rollin, but this one sure is weird what with it's former vampire hunters turned weirdo hippy vampires. Incredibly well made like all Rollins. It's actually pretty funny, and I suspect intentionally so. And the soundtrack is pretty rockin too.

:drac::drac::drac:.5/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of a Halloween 4 apologist, but can see why people don't like it. That said you didn't mention the opening credits which are some of my favorites of all time, and like with Watchmen the high water mark of the film

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
26The Witch Who Came From the Sea

That was interesting, and also very disturbing, especially the big reveal at the end. It's definitely a movie I like more as a think piece about feminism, and sexual politics than as a horror movie. Still worth a watch. There's a lot to unpack, and better than most low budget sleeze fests

:witch::witch::witch:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
27Ginger Snaps 2

It's not as good as the original but I still really liked it. Feels a little like two different movies Ghost being the real monster, could have been it's own film. In fact it almost kind of feels like it was that first and a Ginger Snaps sequel second. And it's really weird that Bridgett sacrifices herself (kind of) to save Ghost even after the big reveal. Just let her get eaten by that point. Even though it's kind of disjointed it still works

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
28Don’t Look Now

Excellent. Might have liked it better if I hadn't read the story previously, but still incredibly well made gialloesque flick. Highest endorsment.

Thanks scream stream

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
29I Drink Your Blood

What a blast. Crazy satanic hippies invade a small town. Little kid and grandson of the local vet decides the situation will be improved if he infects them all with rabies. Saw this at a showing in an old mausoleum, and it was fantastic atmosphere and crowd. Makes me really want to check out the director's other horror movie, Stigma.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

saw in theaters, but it's on shudder

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
30La Casa 3-Ghosthouse

Quite enjoyed it. It's kind of silly, atmospheric, and has some really effective moments, even if it sort of rips off some other flicks. Still fun to sit through

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
31child’s play

Which I thought I had seen before, but I guess I hadn't? Maybe never finished watching because I didn't remember anything past when the mom tries to throw chucky in the fire.

It definitely made me nostalgic to be a kid in the 80s.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
32Conquest

I mean it's on shudder, so I guess it counts, and I'm in extra innings anyway. I love weird 80s conan knock off fantasy things, and this is a pretty great one. And it's directed by Fulci to boot!

:black101::black101::black101::black101:.5/5

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am super indecisive about what to put on now that it's actually halloween.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Watrick posted:

What do you have access to?

shudder, hulu, netflix

So I have options, I'm just kind of torn between something new or an old favorite.

fake edit:
I'm going with La Casa 4-Witchery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Watrick posted:

The Hasselholf one?

Yup

33la casa 4-witchery

Which I liked but founda little less entertaining and crazy than Ghosthouse

:witch: :witch: :witch: :witch:/5

so not counting a couple of rewatches (final destination 3 and, uh Hocus Pocus)

it's

1)Don't Breathe
2Blair Witch
3Bigfoot:the lost coast tapes
4The Invitation
5-Them
6-The Last Slumber Party]
7Vampyr
8 Jigoku
9 Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan
10Interview with a Vampire
11Stoker
12incident at loch ness
13Poltergeist II
14The Exorcist Director’s cut
15Cat People
16demons
17juon:the curse
18juon:the curse part 2
19:WNUF Halloween Special
20Toad Road
21Mockingbird
22Shin Godzilla
23Witchfinder General
24the manitou
25The Shiver of the Vampires
26The Witch Who Came From the Sea
27Ginger Snaps 2
28Don’t Look Now
29I Drink Your Blood
30La Casa 3-Ghosthouse
31child’s play
32Conquest
33la casa 4-witchery

That's 33 new to me horror movies in 2 months. I wasn't very thematic, But they were mostly pretty good. Some were kind of disappointing, or just ok, but the only one I outright hated was Lost Coast Tapes. Oh, and mocking bird, that was real bad too.

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 1, 2016

• Locked thread