Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was going to use this opportunity to watch everything Mario Bava's directed, but some of his films seem almost impossible to track down. Is there a decent streaming site which has them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

The problem with Bava is that one of the keystones to his entire career is Blood and Black Lace, and its not available for streaming anywhere(even as a paid rental). I finally gave in and bought the Arrow blu ray and was not disappointed in the least.

I might just end up doing that. It seems like a surprising number of his more obscure films can be found on Youtube and Dailymotion, although the quality is less than ideal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If you're interested in proto-slashers, you should definitely check out The Abominable Dr. Phibes and its sequel Dr. Phibes Rises Again, both starring Vincent Price and featuring some very inventive kills.

I'd also argue that Black Christmas is more deserving of the title "first slasher" than TCM, especially when you consider its influence on Halloween.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the few horror series where every entry is at least decent. I don't think I'll ever revisit some of the worst Friday the 13th films, but I wouldn't mind seeing The Dream Master or Freddy's Dead again. The dream concept allows them to go in some pretty creative directions, which is something you can't really do in a more grounded slasher.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

im gaye posted:

I might be an outlier but I enjoy The Dream Child more than Freddy's Dead.

Dream Child is my favourite after the original. I love the way it combines 60s gothic horror with 80s practical effects.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ambitious Spider posted:

5-Them

It was pretty good. I had read a review promising a twist, so by the end I was like "that's it?" Super well made and tense, just don't expect a crazy twist. the it was kids thing... My hunch going in was that it might be her students, so I wasn't wildly surprised, when it turned out to be youngins. Totally would have smashed the kid with a rock after he kicked the dude down the ladder "I didn't do anything" my rear end.

It took me until the spoiler to realise that you were talking about Them and not Them!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Night of the Hunter really is a tremendous film; part film noir, part Grimm fairy tale, part Depression-era period piece, and part Christian allegory. The fact that it manages to form a cohesive unit is a testament to Laughton's skill as a director. It's a real shame he never directed another project.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DjLando posted:

04. In the Mouth of Madness --> not seen before, and I've just recently found Carpenter and love his movies (and especially his soundtracks)
05. Possession --> have not seen this movie before
08. Suspiria --> have not seen this movie before
10. The Frighteners --> have not seen this movie before
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre --> Eh yeah... ashamed to say I have never seen it before...
13. The Wicker Man --> have not seen this movie before

Oh, man, you're in for a real treat.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Regarding Funny Games, I remember an interview with Haneke where he said that he had more respect for anyone who turned off the film than for those who watched it all the way to the end. Whether that makes it better or worse, I don't know.

Random Stranger posted:

That said, Evil Dead 2 makes this movie pointless. The sequel is so amazingly good and covers the same ground so heavily that there's no reason to watch the original unless you want to see how Raimi did the same story with even less money.

For all the shared plot elements, The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 are very different in terms of atmosphere. The original is a tense and fairly low-key horror film, while the sequel is much more overtly comedic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

It's not just about plot elements. I feel Evil Dead 2 did both horror and comedy better. Anything the original did, Evil Dead 2 did better.

Right, but what I'm trying to get at is that the first film didn't really do comedy at all. I agree that Evil Dead 2 is better overall, but it never quite recaptures the feeling of dread that permeates The Evil Dead because it's clearly having too much fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

I hate this kind of attitude because it A) Is condescending to the audience

Well, yeah, Funny Games is pretty open about the fact that it has nothing but contempt for its audience.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

Waiting on Fridays VII through X from the library to come in.

My condolences.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Fog always struck me as a perfect horror film for children. It's got some good scares, but there's no nudity, very little in the way of blood or gore, and nothing too graphically disturbing. It even features a kid in one of the leading roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: Now I wonder if it was marketed as "Friday the 17th" in Italy for the same reason.

It was. 17 is Italy's equivalent to the unlucky number 13. Supposedly it's because you can rearrange the Latin numerals XVII into VIXI, which translates to "I lived", implying that your life is over.

• Locked thread