Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Baby rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Day 1

The Fury (1981)

Was bizarre and good. De Palma rules.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
What's the limitation on how non-horror movies apply for the "horror season"? I think it's weird if a lot of comedies that also happen to have literal monsters count, but, say, Roar doesn't.

What a strange, strange, yet extravagant film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Heads up to any U.S. goons with cable that Turner Classic Movies is doing Universal's Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Son of Frankenstein tonight, starting at 8:00 p.m. east. Would be a real snazzy way to knock out some entries.

I know I'll certainly be exploiting it, despite y'all's assurances about Roar.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Raxivace posted:

5. Son of Kong (1933)

Baby Kong died this is some loving bullshit. Good movie, though it was more of an adventure movie than a horror movie or even a typical monster movie. Really makes me want to watch the original King Kong again, as I haven't seen it in like 10 years. Interesting how they don't actually get back to Skull Island until like 40 minutes into this 70 minute film too- most of it is just the characters dealing with the fallout of first film, some time later.

King Kong is WAY better, but Mighty Joe Young is better than both.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 1

The Fury (1981)

Was bizarre and good. De Palma rules.

Day 2

Early-morning semi-starter with Roar (1981): Noel Marshall basically made the anti-Cannibal Holocaust with this one, and I dig it. There hasn't been an activist documentary since that was as authentic and compassionate in its depiction of animals while simultaneously being as earnest in its criticism of their displacement by homo sapiens.

Real deal with that TCM triple feature of Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Son of Frankenstein. The first two are classics, the second one has good production design, but lacks the kind of whimsical camp and directness of the Whale pictures. I had never seen Bride before, and was seriously skeptical of the chain of thought that said it would be better than the original, but I have to say, it is a masterpiece. So many perfect scenes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

al-azad posted:

Do they ever address in The Purge that the likely target of a no-rules night would be the wealthy? Only going by what I've heard it's basically bums forming elaborate street gangs terrorizing the street and I know a plot point in the first is selling Purge related security. But c'mon if you're saying an annual event like this wouldn't involve a group of people premeditating their tactics. And they certainly wouldn't take their aggression out on each other when better targets are available.

graventy posted:

Not really.

Part of the plot of the third is that the usual ban on attacking 'level 10 government officials' has been lifted. Which is funny because I don't remember that being mentioned in any of the previous movies, and it seems to go directly against the idea of a purge.

There is a group who seem to be planning to systematically attack politicians but they don't. The "end the purge" party's main argument is that the purge primarily affects the poor, but we never find out why. I just want to see purge corporate sabotage, or purge Wall Street or something.

The first Purge film very explicitly depicts an exploitation film scenario like something out of Death Race 2000: It's obvious that the cabal of "real leaders" is basically impervious to all the violence, unless they stand in the way of the perverse fantasies of other rich people.

Meanwhile, the second film actually does a fairly decent job of mapping out all but explicitly the "anarchy" of violence among the "underprivileged." In one of the early threat scenes you get a clearly pre-meditated sexual assault and murder attempt, and, indeed, the "B-story" of the movie is Frank Grillo carrying out another heavily pre-meditated and "stockpiled" revenge fantasy. But on the other hand, it also depicts the "impulsive" violence of a "crime of passion," as well as nihilist capitulation to the "new slavery" that the Purge has fundamentally legalized. An entire family, a father, a daughter, and a granddaughter, are all sold by the film's climax. And then the Black Panthers burst in and start "arming the rebels."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 2

Early-morning semi-starter with Roar (1981): Noel Marshall basically made the anti-Cannibal Holocaust with this one, and I dig it. There hasn't been an activist documentary since that was as authentic and compassionate in its depiction of animals while simultaneously being as earnest in its criticism of their displacement by homo sapiens.

Real deal with that TCM triple feature of Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Son of Frankenstein. The first two are classics, the second one has good production design, but lacks the kind of whimsical camp and directness of the Whale pictures. I had never seen Bride before, and was seriously skeptical of the chain of thought that said it would be better than the original, but I have to say, it is a masterpiece. So many perfect scenes.

Day 3

I really shouldn't have slept on The Witch while it was in theaters. Ended up just renting it on YouTube, because I realized Netflix's selection sucks and there's nothing on Turner Classic Movies horror or Halloween festivity-related enough.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 3

I really shouldn't have slept on The Witch while it was in theaters. Ended up just renting it on YouTube, because I realized Netflix's selection sucks and there's nothing on Turner Classic Movies horror or Halloween festivity-related enough.

Day 4

The Wailing is one of the best films I've seen all year. Absolutely stellar, shocking, surprising, and nuanced film.

And tomorrow's Neon Demon. I'm on a role this October.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 4

The Wailing is one of the best films I've seen all year. Absolutely stellar, shocking, surprising, and nuanced film.

And tomorrow's Neon Demon. I'm on a role this October.

Day 5

The Neon Demon is good, an interesting progression for Refn. It's a very 'slight' movie, so I think it was kind of doomed to compare to The Wailing, but it's cruising in its own different zone and manages to be refreshing and imaginative in its own right, even if it remains consistently abrasive throughout. Refn has definitely found his aesthetic, but I like that he seems to never be consciously "refining" it. It's honestly trashier than I was expecting it to be, but that's good, I love Showgirls.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm watching tomorrow. I've had a good run so far this year, so I need to go off the beaten track a little if I wanna find films that I know probably won't match up to The Wailing, but would at least be in good company with The Wailing (and all the other good poo poo).

So I guess I'm watching Cannibal Corpse - Eats Moscow Alive (1993) since I don't feel like renting another movie this week.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 5

The Neon Demon is good, an interesting progression for Refn. It's a very 'slight' movie, so I think it was kind of doomed to compare to The Wailing, but it's cruising in its own different zone and manages to be refreshing and imaginative in its own right, even if it remains consistently abrasive throughout. Refn has definitely found his aesthetic, but I like that he seems to never be consciously "refining" it. It's honestly trashier than I was expecting it to be, but that's good, I love Showgirls.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm watching tomorrow. I've had a good run so far this year, so I need to go off the beaten track a little if I wanna find films that I know probably won't match up to The Wailing, but would at least be in good company with The Wailing (and all the other good poo poo).

So I guess I'm watching Cannibal Corpse - Eats Moscow Alive (1993) since I don't feel like renting another movie this week.

Day 6

I'm logging Cannibal Corpse Eats Moscow Alive on the basis that even though it's a relatively unassuming concert film, it still works remarkably as anthropology and ethnography, the best part being the band sounds like poo poo, and are simultaneously presented in the most quaint way along with singing about "Meathook Sodomy" and such.

I recommend this version of it, however, not the 15 Year Killing Spree version, as it includes "Hammer Smashed Face" and the perfect moment of Alex Webster messing up on bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_a7c3wiA0U

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 6

I'm logging Cannibal Corpse Eats Moscow Alive on the basis that even though it's a relatively unassuming concert film, it still works remarkably as anthropology and ethnography, the best part being the band sounds like poo poo, and are simultaneously presented in the most quaint way along with singing about "Meathook Sodomy" and such.

I recommend this version of it, however, not the 15 Year Killing Spree version, as it includes "Hammer Smashed Face" and the perfect moment of Alex Webster messing up on bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_a7c3wiA0U

Day 7

This one bled over a little into Day 8 because I stayed up to watch Turner Classic Movies' late night billing.

I watched Nosferatu for the third time, and I think this time I've finally come around to it. It's loaded with so much uncomfortable, even xenophobic imagery, but I think what's essential to the whole thing is just having a proper restoration of it with a properly foreboding score. The Kino DVD I used to have had pretty lovely options in terms of music, but the one TCM played with the score by James Bernard really stuck the imagery for me.

I missed Caligari, but I did happen to peep this Russian silent short by Pyotr Chardynin called Queen of Spades (1910), which is based on an opera and I'm including only because it technically does include a vengeful ghost/apparition, and thus qualifies in a kind of 'proto-horror' vein like a lot of early film.

The second feature wasn't really horror. In fact, it ended up being a rather quaint and inexpressive thriller, Tod Browning's The Unholy Three (1925). The movie is basically a dry-run for Freaks - it shows all the same fascination with "circus-life," but it possesses none of the same social criticism or atmosphere. Worth it for Lon Chaney, Sr. hamming it up dressed as an old granny, but not really an essential thriller, even.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 7

This one bled over a little into Day 8 because I stayed up to watch Turner Classic Movies' late night billing.

I watched Nosferatu for the third time, and I think this time I've finally come around to it. It's loaded with so much uncomfortable, even xenophobic imagery, but I think what's essential to the whole thing is just having a proper restoration of it with a properly foreboding score. The Kino DVD I used to have had pretty lovely options in terms of music, but the one TCM played with the score by James Bernard really stuck the imagery for me.

I missed Caligari, but I did happen to peep this Russian silent short by Pyotr Chardynin called Queen of Spades (1910), which is based on an opera and I'm including only because it technically does include a vengeful ghost/apparition, and thus qualifies in a kind of 'proto-horror' vein like a lot of early film.

The second feature wasn't really horror. In fact, it ended up being a rather quaint and inexpressive thriller, Tod Browning's The Unholy Three (1925). The movie is basically a dry-run for Freaks - it shows all the same fascination with "circus-life," but it possesses none of the same social criticism or atmosphere. Worth it for Lon Chaney, Sr. hamming it up dressed as an old granny, but not really an essential thriller, even.

Day 8

Bone Tomahawk was the first real disappointment of my swipe at this year's challenge. After seeing it recommended periodically, I decided I'd finally check it out since there was no spooky stuff on TCM that night.

This was just not a good movie. In fact, it was impressively lazy. The cinematography is uninspired and plain, and nothing about it inspired a single iota of tension. The expositional drama was overwrought and mind-numbing. The production values were college senior thesis level. Absolutely nothing was convincing. Which wouldn't be so bad, because sometimes a movie can really own its limitations. Bone Tomahawk does not.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 8

Bone Tomahawk was the first real disappointment of my swipe at this year's challenge. After seeing it recommended periodically, I decided I'd finally check it out since there was no spooky stuff on TCM that night.

This was just not a good movie. In fact, it was impressively lazy. The cinematography is uninspired and plain, and nothing about it inspired a single iota of tension. The expositional drama was overwrought and mind-numbing. The production values were college senior thesis level. Absolutely nothing was convincing. Which wouldn't be so bad, because sometimes a movie can really own its limitations. Bone Tomahawk does not.

Day 9

Ah, Turner Classic Movies. So it turns out even though there was a pretty certain drop-off in quality between Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein, The Ghost of Frankenstein is many orders of magnitude more dispensable. I feel like you can always tell which ones of these movies is gonna be a dog by how much work was put into its opening credits.

To wit, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man has great opening credits, and is also a cool little movie, and passingly worthy of the Whale films.

The House of Frankenstein just runs amok. Not enough to sink your teeth into.

Good night for it, though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 9

Ah, Turner Classic Movies. So it turns out even though there was a pretty certain drop-off in quality between Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein, The Ghost of Frankenstein is many orders of magnitude more dispensable. I feel like you can always tell which ones of these movies is gonna be a dog by how much work was put into its opening credits.

To wit, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man has great opening credits, and is also a cool little movie, and passingly worthy of the Whale films.

The House of Frankenstein just runs amok. Not enough to sink your teeth into.

Good night for it, though.

Day 10

Caught a gander at The Face of Fu Manchu from '65. Was even more racist than I was expecting it to be, but still kind of works as a hyperbolic time capsule of the fragility of white, post-colonial consciousness.

Will be getting up early tomorrow to catch some more Christopher Lee goodies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 10

Caught a gander at The Face of Fu Manchu from '65. Was even more racist than I was expecting it to be, but still kind of works as a hyperbolic time capsule of the fragility of white, post-colonial consciousness.

Will be getting up early tomorrow to catch some more Christopher Lee goodies.

Day 11

Banked on an early morning double feature of Nothing But the Night (1973) and Scream and Scream Again (1970). I think I was more engaged with the novelty of the first feature than I was its substance, but it had a decent enough pay-off. Scream and Scream Again doesn't really have that. Very by the numbers stuff, and even manages to get a bad performance out of Vincent Price, which should be all but impossible.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 11

Banked on an early morning double feature of Nothing But the Night (1973) and Scream and Scream Again (1970). I think I was more engaged with the novelty of the first feature than I was its substance, but it had a decent enough pay-off. Scream and Scream Again doesn't really have that. Very by the numbers stuff, and even manages to get a bad performance out of Vincent Price, which should be all but impossible.

Day 12

Seriously good double feature, one courtesy of iTunes, another courtesy of a GenChat post by Anonymous Robot.

Murder Party is Jeremy Saulnier's first film, a collaborative effort, and is probably also the best thing he's done. I really liked it a lot.

Wax, or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees was the perfect chaser of the bizarro, avant-garde sci-fi.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 12

Seriously good double feature, one courtesy of iTunes, another courtesy of a GenChat post by Anonymous Robot.

Murder Party is Jeremy Saulnier's first film, a collaborative effort, and is probably also the best thing he's done. I really liked it a lot.

Wax, or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees was the perfect chaser of the bizarro, avant-garde sci-fi.

Day 13

For the unlucky 13th, I picked Nosferatu, the Vampyre (1979). What a bizarre little film. Rather good. Made me want to re-watch Flesh for Frankenstein and/or Blood for Dracula soon.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 13

For the unlucky 13th, I picked Nosferatu, the Vampyre (1979). What a bizarre little film. Rather good. Made me want to re-watch Flesh for Frankenstein and/or Blood for Dracula soon.

Day 14

Triple feature:

The Cat and the Canary '39

The Fearless Vampire Killers

Little Shop of Horrors

All good. Gonna see loving Shin・Gojira today!!!!!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 14

Triple feature:

The Cat and the Canary '39

The Fearless Vampire Killers

Little Shop of Horrors

All good. Gonna see loving Shin・Gojira today!!!!!

Day 15

Didn't really know I was gonna get another horror comedy, but it worked out in the end. Shin・Gojira killed it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 15

Didn't really know I was gonna get another horror comedy, but it worked out in the end. Shin・Gojira killed it.

Day 16

Maybe this is sacrilege, but overall I found The Curse of Frankenstein overbearingly dull. Revenge of Frankenstein is a lot more interesting, to the extent that I actually admired it quite a deal, but it's still got this workman-like bent to it. I had the same feeling about most of the latter Universal films. Revenge comes closest so far in the Hammer series to approximating some of the queer, meta-textual energy of the Whale films, but overall Terence Fisher's direction here is still too detached and perfunctory.

This is the second time this run-through that I've really wanted to revisit the Morrissey/Warhol flicks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 16

Maybe this is sacrilege, but overall I found The Curse of Frankenstein overbearingly dull. Revenge of Frankenstein is a lot more interesting, to the extent that I actually admired it quite a deal, but it's still got this workman-like bent to it. I had the same feeling about most of the latter Universal films. Revenge comes closest so far in the Hammer series to approximating some of the queer, meta-textual energy of the Whale films, but overall Terence Fisher's direction here is still too detached and perfunctory.

This is the second time this run-through that I've really wanted to revisit the Morrissey/Warhol flicks.

Day 17

Started off early-early morning with A Page of Madness, which is not only a fantastic film, but might be my new favorite of the '20s.

More recently this evening, I got to finally check out City of the Dead (1960), or Horror Hotel. Serendipitous little movie with some uncanny parallels to Psycho. Works great as both a supernatural horror and a film noir.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 17

Started off early-early morning with A Page of Madness, which is not only a fantastic film, but might be my new favorite of the '20s.

More recently this evening, I got to finally check out City of the Dead (1960), or Horror Hotel. Serendipitous little movie with some uncanny parallels to Psycho. Works great as both a supernatural horror and a film noir.

Day 18

Was gonna stay up to catch the whole Christopher Lee marathon, but ended up settling for just The House That Dripped Blood and The Creeping Flesh.

The House That Dripped Blood kinda blows. The Creeping Flesh kinda owns. That's all she wrote, really.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

Just a heads up, this is another great weekend for TCM. Friday you can watch Eyes Without a Face, then Saturday they're playing Jaws, and Sunday its two Hammer Frankenstein films starring Peter Cushing. One of them, Frankenstein Created Woman, is maybe the best of all of the Frankenstein sequels.

Oh, I know. I've been keeping TCM as a pretty fixed rotation this season just because it's easy, and it's a good way to keep my threshold of quality at a relatively consistent higher level. I've never seen Eyes Without a Face except for a brief clip once on IFC, so I'm deffo looking forward to that one, and the trailer that TCM has been showing for the '41 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde which is on before it makes it look really stellar as well.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 18

Was gonna stay up to catch the whole Christopher Lee marathon, but ended up settling for just The House That Dripped Blood and The Creeping Flesh.

The House That Dripped Blood kinda blows. The Creeping Flesh kinda owns. That's all she wrote, really.

Day 19

The X from Outer Space is way better than Destination Moon. Interesting parallels to Shin Gojira, as well.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

Creeping Flesh really didn't do it for me, what did you like about it?

That 90% of the movie turned out to be Peter Cushing trying to control his teenage daughter. Turns out "the creeping flesh" was her.

I'll admit, though, my opinion of it is raised exponentially purely by the fact that I followed it right after The House That Dripped Blood, which is notable only in how remarkably bad it is at keeping to the premise that the titular house actually has anything to do with what's going on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 19

The X from Outer Space is way better than Destination Moon. Interesting parallels to Shin Gojira, as well.

Day 20

Couldn't get The Offering up on iTunes, so settled for re-watching Inferno (1980). Still good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 20

Couldn't get The Offering up on iTunes, so settled for re-watching Inferno (1980). Still good.

Day 21

If you, like I, are a well-meaning soul who watched the very good trailer for The Offering and decided, "Oh, joy! So there was a narratively unique, visually engaging version of The Forest that came out in the same year!" - Don't watch it. Yes, it has more visual and narrative interest than The Forest, but it's hammy as Hell (and not in a good way), and what visual acumen it has quickly devolves into some pretty lazy staging.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 25, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 21

If you, like I, are a well-meaning soul who watched the very good trailer for The Offering and decided, "Oh, joy! So there was a narratively unique, visually engaging version of The Forest that came out in the same year!" - Don't watch it. Yes, it has more visual and narrative interest than The Forest, but it's hammy as Hell (and not in a good way), and what visual acumen it has quickly devolves into some pretty lazy staging.

Day 22

Jaws 2 takes a totally self-contained story about one man rising to the occasion to slay a dragon, and escalates it into a slasher/psychological horror scenario where Brody must face the fact that he never slew the real dragon: Political corruption.

I dug it, Sam.

Day 23

Jaws 3, on the other hand, blows. Not even worth sticking through for the kitschy 3D.

I didn't care for The Curse of Frankenstein, or even The Revenge of Frankenstein, for that matter. Apparently, I missed Evil of Frankenstein - but that's besides the point. Point being: Frankenstein Created Woman is dope. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, not so much.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 22

Jaws 2 takes a totally self-contained story about one man rising to the occasion to slay a dragon, and escalates it into a slasher/psychological horror scenario where Brody must face the fact that he never slew the real dragon: Political corruption.

I dug it, Sam.

Day 23

Jaws 3, on the other hand, blows. Not even worth sticking through for the kitschy 3D.

I didn't care for The Curse of Frankenstein, or even The Revenge of Frankenstein, for that matter. Apparently, I missed Evil of Frankenstein - but that's besides the point. Point being: Frankenstein Created Woman is dope. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, not so much.

Day 24

Didn't care for The Gorgon. Dug Rasputin, the Mad Monk. Really dug Dracula, Prince of Darkness.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 24

Didn't care for The Gorgon. Dug Rasputin, the Mad Monk. Really dug Dracula, Prince of Darkness.

Day 25

Snagged a re-watch of Man Bites Dog just in a knick of time. Still great.

Day 26

I'm surprised that I ended up enjoying the ol' '50s space exploration film Satellite in the Sky than I did Logan's Run.

Day 27

Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell has some great trailers, but it doesn't really have the effortless arc of, say, 42nd Street Forever or Sci-Fi Monsters.

Day 28

I liked '32 Mummy pretty consistently, but it's hard to mistake how much of a retread of Dracula it is, right down to the casting of David Manners and Edward Van Sloan. Interestingly, Karl Freund did some un-credited directing work on that film, and, of course, they share the same economically-minded producer. Let's face it - Laemmle was no Val Lewton, and while Freund actually also takes over cinematographic duties here, I'm afraid for all his eye for the exotic and psychosexual can't really contend with either Browning's eye or his ear for well-placed, dreadful silence - and that's coming from a guy who just flat doesn't care for Dracula.

Day 29

Blood and Black Lace was good.

Day 30

Finally, early this morning on the turnaround from the 29th to the 30th, I caught a double feature of Larry Cohen's It's Alive and one of TCM's best broadcast rareties, Tim Carey's The World's Greatest Sinner. Larry Cohen continues to prove himself one of the most underrated independent filmmakers in American history, but I was not prepared for the sheer awesomeness that was The World's Greatest Sinner. It was a great morning.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

K. Waste posted:

Day 25

Snagged a re-watch of Man Bites Dog just in a knick of time. Still great.

Day 26

I'm surprised that I ended up enjoying the ol' '50s space exploration film Satellite in the Sky than I did Logan's Run.

Day 27

Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell has some great trailers, but it doesn't really have the effortless arc of, say, 42nd Street Forever or Sci-Fi Monsters.

Day 28

I liked '32 Mummy pretty consistently, but it's hard to mistake how much of a retread of Dracula it is, right down to the casting of David Manners and Edward Van Sloan. Interestingly, Karl Freund did some un-credited directing work on that film, and, of course, they share the same economically-minded producer. Let's face it - Laemmle was no Val Lewton, and while Freund actually also takes over cinematographic duties here, I'm afraid for all his eye for the exotic and psychosexual can't really contend with either Browning's eye or his ear for well-placed, dreadful silence - and that's coming from a guy who just flat doesn't care for Dracula.

Day 29

Blood and Black Lace was good.

Day 30

Finally, early this morning on the turnaround from the 29th to the 30th, I caught a double feature of Larry Cohen's It's Alive and one of TCM's best broadcast rareties, Tim Carey's The World's Greatest Sinner. Larry Cohen continues to prove himself one of the most underrated independent filmmakers in American history, but I was not prepared for the sheer awesomeness that was The World's Greatest Sinner. It was a great morning.

Day 31

Checking off the year with Halloween in a theater, preceded unintentionally by the 1952 Donald Duck short Trick or Treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Butch Cassidy posted:

How are the sequels? You guys just made me order a set.

I haven't seen 'em but Larry Cohen rules by default.

• Locked thread