Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kicked things off on the 1st with a pair of found footage movies I'd already seen before, The Last Exorcism and Quarantine.

I still like both of them a lot, and I still like Quarantine more than Rec (although I like Rec a lot, too). I really like how effectively both movies start out with "this is all really mundane, nothing could possibly go wrong!" and then they just go totally off the rails. If anything I think their very endings are a little weak, but that's a little bit systemic of "found footage" as a genre, and dates back to 'The Blair Witch Project'. Some found footage movies handle it better than others, though.

Today I watched Afflicted, which I hadn't seen before, and I also liked that a lot. It's the most convincing and compelling "moral decay of someone turning into a vampire" movie since 'Interview with a Vampire', and it actually had a satisfying ending that made sense.

Tomorrow I'm planning to watch The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darthemed posted:

#2.) The ABCs of Death 2 (2014)

This was a nice cleanser follow-up to #Horror. Kind of made me feel like the preceding film would have been, if not more effective, at least more focused had it been shrunk down to the ABCs format. I wouldn't really say there was a notable dud in this one's alphabet set, aside from the song over the end credits, and while a couple of them played more like gags than scares (M might be my favorite from this category, with W as top challenger), that's certainly not a deviation from the blueprint set by the first in the series.

I am having trouble recalling all of the entries a day later, but D, J, K, O, Y, and Z stand out as my favorites. P felt like a nice channeling of David Lynch's more overtly weird moments while putting its own spin on things. U was slickly executed, but it did seem to suggest that Vincenzo Natali does much better in a long-form style. I wasn't as turned-off by the gag entries in the first ABCs as some people whose reactions I've seen, but it did feel like the average quality of the shorts had been brought up a bit in this installment. Overall, a nice compilation, and though I kind of doubt I'll bother to track down ABCs of Death 2.5, I am looking forward to finding out who they'll accumulate for the actual third installment.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

Thanks for this review, I was curious about the two ABCs of Death movies that i saw were available on Netflix, I think I'll give them a shot after I exhaust some of the other movies in my library.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Work was a lot longer than expected today, so I only watched one movie.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - it takes a little while to get going, but once it picks up steam, it's pretty relentless right up until the end credits. It's got some pacing issues and the characters are paper thin (the only one of the teenagers with a personality is Franklin, and he's annoying as gently caress), but I can absolutely see why the movie scared people silly - Leatherface chasing down Sally is tense as poo poo.

The editing and shot composition felt very "1970s" to me. I can't really put my finger on why exactly, but the camera cuts and the use of zoom just felt like a lot of other 1970s movies I've seen (but not all of them).

I'll watch the remake tomorrow. I've seen it before, but not since it was new.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - I'm going to come right out and say it: as effective and groundbreaking as the 1974 movie is for crafting unrelenting balls-out terror in its last act, the remake improves on the original in every other regard. The movie is paced better, the characters (both the protagonists and antagonists) are better executed and have actual personalities, and it still shows a remarkable amount of restraint when it comes to gore. It's as if the original movie is a proof-of-concept, and the remake is a full realization of that concept. That isn't to say the remake isn't without its missteps (Erin mercy-killing one of her own friends felt unnecessary, and Erin hacking off one of Leatherface's arms with a cleaver was pretty hokey), but watching the two versions back-to-back is an interesting showcase of the evolution of horror filmmaking sensibilities over the course of 30 years. The remake keeps what worked from the original, enhanced it with lessons learned in the interim, and managed to not become a self-parody or go crazy with gore. The remake does predate both 'Saw' and 'Hostel', so I guess that's not too surprising.

6. The Ring (remake) - I hadn't watched this movie in like a decade, and it's still loving great. It does this great balancing act between insane horror and largely grounded, investigative mystery for most of its runtime, and just when you think it's going to definitively tip to one side, it tips to the other in the craziest, most effective way possible and poo poo just gets loving crazy. The opening and ending are real goddamn scary, so much so that I'm still kind of blown away that they pulled off a PG-13 rating. Like yeah it's within the letter of a PG-13 rating, but it sure as poo poo isn't within the spirit of one (similar to 'Jaws' being rated PG). If I'd seen 'The Ring' at 13 I'd have been scarred for life.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
6. The Ring (remake)

7. Scanners - it had been a while since I'd watched this one, and I still like it quite a bit. For some reason I never really appreciated how much the bulk of it plays out like a spy thriller mashed with elements of Joseph Campbell's "hero's journey". Revok is an interesting villain since he's unhinged, but not wholly unsympathetic.

8. The Brood - I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one yet. A lot of the movie had this surreal, almost-sorta dreamlike quality for me, where otherwise not-okay (and occasionally TOTALLY INSANE) things would happen and characters would just kind of roll with it and not react as strongly as I'd expect a normal person would, kind of like how our subconscious just kind of rolls with the events in our dreams as they play out, even if they don't make any sense whatsoever when we think about them after waking up. I liked the twist that Raglan genuinely wasn't a horrible monster, or in control of the brood-children, he was just trying to placate Nola so he could mitigate the damage she was doing. Maybe I'm just jaded by modern horror movies, but I was very much expecting the ending to play out in a Twilight Zone fashion, where Frank somehow ends up supporting his wife's new "family", even if it means living in constant fear of being literally murdered by Nola's subconscious.

9. The Babadook - I wanted to like this one more than I ultimately did. The trailers were mega-creepy, and the movie certainly had its moments, but I think it was dragged down by splitting the Babadook's "nature". Part of the time it was a creepy, malevolent presence, and part of the time it was literally possessing Amelia (something the trailer doesn't even hint at), and I think the movie would have been much more effective if it had picked one or the other and really committed to it. The movie spent a little bit too much time dwelling on the family angst and not enough time being super-spooky, and I also thought the kid was annoying as all hell. Half the time he was acting like he was "afraid", it came across more like a child freaking out in order to get attention. A big offender was his freakout in the car. The stock sound effect monster roars for the Babadook's roars didn't do the movie any favors, either.

10. Splinter - I stumbled across the trailer for this one fairly recently and was on the verge of blind-buying it, and then I saw it was available for streaming on Amazon Prime so I gave it a spin. I really enjoyed it, the creature had definite "Carpenter's The Thing" vibes coupled with a healthy dose of the Necromorphs from Dead Space, while being different enough from both that it didn't feel like a wholesale rip-off. The creature effects were pretty cool (if often restrained, likely due to budget limitations), the characters were (mostly) believable, and I'd definitely watch a sequel with more of the same creature running amok and snapping people's limbs and poo poo. Makes me want to re-watch 'Slither' for some reason, too.

Edit-- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Grizzled Patriarch, sup Brood-buddy :ghost::hf::ghost:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 10, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter

11. Vampyr - I think the music was the spookiest part about this movie, I found it to be really effective. I also found myself engaged in a lot of the otherwise mundane special effects, if only because I was trying to figure out how the filmmakers achieved them with 1930s camera equipment. The lack of dialogue made it a little hard to follow sometimes (the movie lost me a bit when the main character sort of astral-projected a vision of himself being buried alive, I think?) but it was still worth a watch. Also for a movie titled "Vampyr", the titular vampire had what seemed like less than 2 minutes of screen time, which I really wasn't expecting. That's not a negative, it was just something I noticed after the movie ended.

12. Cloverfield - Despite being a big fan of found footage movies, I'd never gotten around to watching this one until now. I dug it, but it's definitely not my favorite found footage movie. The camera was a little too shakey for my tastes, and most of the main characters were a little too unsympathetic. For some reason I thought JJ Abrams actually directed this movie and didn't just produce it, I'm not sure why I thought that.

I'm a little behind on where I want to be in the challenge, but I've been slammed with work. I should be able to make up some time over the weekend.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield

13. Jennifer's Body - this was a lot more entertaining than I expected it to be, although the ending was a little weak compared to the rest of the movie. If anything the movie kind of calls attention to the "useless adults" trope that's pervasive throughout a lot of "teen horror" movies, and not really in a good way. I mean like maybe it's because I am an adult, but I found myself stopping and saying "Where are these kids' parents?" through most of the movie, especially Jennifer's parents who aren't even hinted at existing until the end of the movie. At any rate this movie was a pretty good time, though the "psychic connection" angle was pretty half-baked and didn't really feel necessary.

14. Pet Sematary - I'd seen this one before, but it's been years and years. I remembered it as being the scariest Stephen King movie (based on the scariest Stephen King book), and it definitely still is. The movie is creepy as poo poo, and if there's any one real speedbump in the movie it's Jud's introduction of the indian burial ground at all. Like, he knows from first-hand experience that the place is evil and brings stuff back from the dead as hosed-up abominations, and talks Louis into burying the cat there anyway (and then is shocked when things spiral out of control). The movie was way gorier than I remembered it being, Victor's car crash makeup was consistently hardcore.

Thirsty Girl posted:

5. Frankenstein's Army [blu] (2013)

Probably the best found footage Wolfenstein movie. The look of this movie is one part GWAR concert, one part Halloween City. Daffy concept and admirable, if imperfect, execution. Delightfully lowbrow.

Watch for a great scene involving one member of the Hitler Youth and a meat processing chute.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5
Frankenstein's Army rules, I'll be re-watching it soon for Spooky Movie Month as well. also it's got Karel Roden playing the bad guy in a Weird War II movie for the THIRD time (the other two are Hellboy and Bulletproof Monk)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary

15. Day of the Dead (original) - maybe it's just because it's been at least a decade since I last watched it, but this was a lot better than I remember it being. The characters feel more well-rounded and better executed than in other Romero Living Dead movies, which leads to more organic, believable conflicts without falling back on characters being stereotypes or really one-dimensional. Dr. Logan's research requires the acquisition of zombie specimens (a dangerous task) without an obvious payoff, which puts him at odds with Rhodes, who is a hardass but not particularly unreasonable considering it's his men who are dying for Dr. Logan's research. Also it goes without saying that the makeup/gore effects are totally insane in all the best ways. Tom Savini is a genius.

16. Dawn of the Dead (remake) - I still really, really like this movie, and it's still arguably one of my favorite zombie movies. It manages to condense a ton of characters and subplots into its runtime without feeling overloaded or rushed. I'm not bothered at all by the "fast zombies", they manage to be scary in distinctly different ways than the "unending, inevitable shambling horde" of the Romero movies and I think it works to the movie's benefit and give it its own "identity" compared to the original movie.

Choco1980 posted:

#33. The Collector (2009)

A jewel thief has a loan shark deadline hanging over his family's head, so he goes to raid a house he has found to be home to a very successful jeweler. Unfortunately, the house is also the target that night to a maniac in a mask who creates sadistic booby traps and rube goldberg style machines that he places everywhere, going after the family that lives there. Now the thief is in a desperate game, trying to save who he can, while still avoiding the killer.

I liked this one more than I expected. Despite it's post-Saw approach of clever traps and sadistic violence, it was actually really well written and extremely tense at times. They also do a very good job of giving the house's geography a real sense of place, something not all films can accomplish. Now I'm interested in tracking down the sequel.

I give The Collector :hb::hb::hb::hb: out of Five
I really like The Collector and The Collection, and I hope the rumored third movie manages to materialize.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
15. Day of the Dead (original)
16. Dawn of the Dead (remake)

17. Zombieland - I liked this more the second time around than the first time I watched it, it's fun and escapist while still having danger and stakes. I think I kind of prefer it to Shaun of the Dead because it's self-aware without being super duper on-the-nose about it, or hokey.

18. Shaun of the Dead - I hadn't watched this movie in like a decade, and I'm not sure how well it's aged. It certainly feels like it comes from a pre-Walking Dead (TV series) era, and the tone is a little bit uneven and borderline-corny. I think Zombieland does a better job of juxtaposing danger and gore with absurd silliness without as much tone-whiplash as Shaun of the Dead has. Like don't get me wrong, Shaun of the Dead is still a good watch and it's got a lot of really brilliant, well-executed stuff, but it's rougher around the edges than I remember it being.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
17. Zombieland
18. Shaun of the Dead

19. Frankenstein's Army - I watched this on DVD when it first came out a couple years ago, this was my first time watching it on bluray and I still like it quite a bit. The "found footage" conceit is cool (if a little half-baked - the use of "vintage" film stock grain effects is really inconsistent) and the monster design is off the wall in all the best ways, although the monsters never come across as particularly effective or dangerous; I think you only actually see the monsters outright kill 2 people, and there's about a dozen instances of the monsters bumping into, swiping at, or slashing the cameraman, to little effect. It's still a fun ride, although I'm massively biased in favor of both found footage and Weird War II movies. As a side note, I suspect I already know the answer, but the movie did make me want to learn about contemporary camera technology of the 1940s and if it would even be feasible to have filmed the "found footage" as presented.

20. Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead - Better than the first movie in every conceivable way. It's chock-full of "ohhhhh poo poo!" and "hell yes!" moments, it never takes itself particularly seriously, and effectively coasts a lot on the Rule of Cool. I like that, like the first Dead Snow, the Nazi zombies are menacing and dangerous because they're supernaturally competent and seemingly nigh-indestructible; it's a nice change of pace from standard zombie fare. The "Zombie Squad" characters could easily have been cringe-inducing and hokey as hell, and their initial setup made it seem like it was going to go in that direction, but then they ended up being shockingly competent and fun to watch.

21. The Thing (1982) - I've seen this movie a thousand times (it's my #2 favorite movie of all time), but I just got the new Shout Factory bluray release which means I had an excuse to watch it yet again. :v: New bluray transfer looks great, the movie still rules, and I still find the Thing monster to be one of the most interesting and thought-provoking movie monsters ever. I'll likely re-watch the prequel tomorrow because I really enjoy that, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
17. Zombieland
18. Shaun of the Dead
19. Frankenstein's Army
20. Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead
21. The Thing (1982)

22. The Thing (2011) - gently caress the haters, I really, really like this prequel. Is it as good as the Carpenter movie? Hell no, but it's a drat fine companion movie that was obviously made with a lot of reverence for the original movie, and it's really unfortunate how badly it was marred by studio interference (and hamstrung by lovely, spoiler-tastic trailers, practically suffocating it before it was even released). It's got a ton of neat fake-outs and red herrings, the Thing transformations are loving crazy, and the characters are diverse and sympathetic without being carbon-copies of the characters from the Carpenter original. If I could change any one thing, I'd have made Carter's death much more ambiguous - have him point to the correct ear when Kate asks about the earring, have Kate burn him anyway out of paranoia, and ditch the Thing-howling as he burns so she (and the audience) is left wondering whether she torched a human or not. It's a shame it bombed in the theatres as I'd have loved to have (somehow) gotten yet another Thing movie, but the Carpenter movie bombed at the theatres too so oh well I guess.

23. The Amityville Horror (2005) - I'd never seen this before, nor had I seen the original or any of the other movies in the series (Wikipedia says there's sixteen Amityville movies, that can't be right... can it?). Ryan Reynolds did a pretty solid job as a menacing lunatic, even if his descent into madness was a little rushed (and his goofy "crazy person" contact lenses didn't really help anything). It had some genuinely creepy moments marred by questionable editing, and the whole backstory subplot about Ketcham felt unnecessary, although I've come to understand that that's something that was lifted from the original movie. All the same, I think it would have been more effective if the house had just been inexplicably evil rather than falling back on the played-out "built on a spooky burial ground" trope. Rachel Nichols as the hot babysitter was a bonus, too.

24. Dark Skies - this had some seriously creepy-as-poo poo moments, and I liked how effectively it played up the powerlessness of the family and the sheer indifference of the aliens, and how they could gently caress with the family members with impunity. I also got a kick out of how the movie is a sort of unintentional companion movie for 'Independence Day' (set during the 4th of July weekend, heavy use of fireworks and patriotic imagery, alien invasion). The ending felt a little half-baked but simultaneously inevitable, as if the writers had written themselves into a corner and did the best they could with what they had.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
17. Zombieland
18. Shaun of the Dead
19. Frankenstein's Army
21. The Thing (1982)
22. The Thing (2011)
23. The Amityville Horror (2005)
24. Dark Skies

25. The Descent - I liked this one for the most part, it had a good number of effective slow-build scares mixed with some jump-scares. The characters felt a little underdeveloped; like there's a whopping 6 characters in the whole movie, and I couldn't even name half of them. I did like the creature designs and execution a lot, though

26. Jacob's Ladder - I had seen this one before, but it had been several years. I still dig it, the way it makes everything seem surreal and dream-like is really effective. The existential horror - not knowing if Jacob can even trust his own mind - was a nice change of pace after the string of (mostly) creature-feature horror movies or otherwise external-threat scares I've been watching so far.

27. Silent Hill - this is another one I'd seen before but it had been a while, and one thing that stuck out to me on the re-watch was how long it was. It's over 2 hours long, and it kind of feels like it (and not quite in a good way). Like, I get why it's as long as it is, and you get the sense that the filmmakers really held a reverence for the source material and wanted to do it justice and not just gloss over stuff or relegate things to cheap cameos or whatever, but at the same time it isn't always to the movie's benefit. The video game medium can lend itself to more long-form storytelling, but movies by their nature have to "trim the fat" and keep the run-time down and I'm not sure how effectively 'Silent Hill' does that. Having said that, the set and location design (both the "light" world and the "dark" world), the monster design and execution (aside from the CGI ash-children), and the sense of being in a surreal waking-nightmare are all executed really well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
17. Zombieland
18. Shaun of the Dead
19. Frankenstein's Army
21. The Thing (1982)
22. The Thing (2011)
24. Dark Skies
25. The Descent
26. Jacob's Ladder
27. Silent Hill

28. Silent Hill: Revelation - Yeah it's inferior to the first movie, but I think it still did some neat stuff. The practical monster effects were still great, the set and location design for both worlds was still great, and I liked the design of the mannequin-spider monster (even if it was dragged down by the poor CGI). The fight at the end was pretty goofy, and it still had a lot of half-baked ideas, but I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up movie with Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean trying to escape from Silent Hill. I even liked the game character cameo double-play at the very end of the movie; I thought they were well executed if you're a fan of the games, without being intrusive or distracting if you aren't.

29. Friday the 13th (2009 remake) - I've never been a huge F13 fan; it's not that I dislike the movies, I've just never really sat down to watch all of them so the only stuff I've seen has either been in bits and pieces - although I've seen Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, and Freddy vs Jason in their entirety. My dad bought a used bluray player off ebay a while back and the seller threw in a random bluray, so he gave it to me. The movie's case said it was the original Friday the 13th, so I figured "hey, now's a good time to watch the original, which I've never seen", but I opened up the case and inside was the remake. I hadn't seen that either, so I shrugged and said "welp, let's do this I guess!" I liked it a lot more than I thought I would; I liked that Jason wasn't a supernatural monster, he was just a brutally efficient (and really drat tough) survivalist effortlessly taking down vastly inferior opponents. It was like watching 'First Blood' from the perspective of the police.

30. Carriers - This wasn't quite what I expected it to be (shocking, scary), but I still dug it for what it was. It was largely believable, the characters were pretty relateable, but in a post-Walking Dead world it's sort of a tough sell to someone who hasn't seen it before. I don't regret watching it, but in retrospect it's kinda not really a horror movie.

31. Manos: The Hands of Fate - I couldn't think of a more fitting movie as the 31st movie in my challenge. :v: I watched the restored bluray version (I backed the restoration on Kickstarter), and it's pretty neat seeing my own name in the credits as a "donor". As low-rent as the movie is, I'll give it credit for having a solid framework for a horror movie. I think in more capable hands, and with a budget larger than $4.71, Manos could be remade into something genuinely scary.

~*~EXTRA CREDIT~*~

32. Infini - Stumbled across the trailer for this on youtube, and while the trailer pitches it like Event Horizon + Resident Evil (which I'm very okay with), the actual movie is much more like "what if Solaris was a violent horror movie?". It's a sort of "first contact" movie with an alien entity that fundamentally doesn't understand humans (with disastrous results) but isn't inherently malicious, and I dug that. Despite being an arguably low-budget movie, it never feels low-budget - the sets all look great, the CGI and other visual effects are above average, and even the acting and characters were largely believable and interesting (especially once people start losing their poo poo). The dialogue felt natural without getting bogged down in technobabble, as well. If I had to fault the movie for anything, it's that it takes a bit of a shotgun approach and has a bunch of interesting ideas that don't always get payoffs. The whole "dangers of slipstreaming data corruption" idea from the opening text doesn't really go anywhere except for the very end, and the payoff is pretty half-baked and largely unnecessary. The movie is still very much worth a watch, I was pleasantly surprised.

timeandtide posted:

26. Lily-C.A.T.: A take on both Alien and The Thing, with the unique twist of the alien not being a cheap Geiger ripoff but rather disease/bacteria-based. There's several other nice twists on the formula, but I don't want to spoil those. The 80s animation has quite a lot of flair to it, giving us (once they finally decide to show the monster - wisely, they follow the advice of keeping horror off-screen or in the shadows for the first half of the movie) some really quite grotesque transformations. Despite being made in that period where brutal films like Wicked City and Doomed Megapolis were hitting the video store, Lily-C.A.T. holds off on showing real gore or violence until poo poo hits the fan for everyone, so the moment is doubly shocking as the first sight of gore is combined with the characters figuring out there is an alien presence on-board. There was a moment where the characters start to fight to an escape and an 80s rock song kicks in, which I suppose some can consider cheesy in an otherwise suspenseful movie, but for me that's just a bonus. Best of all, its not even 70 minutes long. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5
Well I know what I'm watching today, this sounds like it is very much my jam. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

1. The Last Exorcism
2. Quarantime
3. Afflicted
6. The Ring (remake)
7. Scanners
8. The Brood
9. The Babadook
10. Splinter
11. Vampyr
12. Cloverfield
13. Jennifer's Body
14. Pet Sematary
17. Zombieland
18. Shaun of the Dead
19. Frankenstein's Army
21. The Thing (1982)
22. The Thing (2011)
24. Dark Skies
25. The Descent
26. Jacob's Ladder
27. Silent Hill
28. Silent Hill: Revelation
29. Friday the 13th (2009 remake)
30. Carriers
31. Manos: The Hands of Fate
~*~EXTRA CREDIT~*~
32. Infini

33. Lily C.A.T - I dug it for the most part, although it felt a little unfocused in the face of its sub-90-minute runtime. Like it's got this spooky conspiracy where someone or something is controlling the ship independent of the crew, but once you find out what it is, it's just like "Oh, okay" and it goes nowhere. Likewise, the whole "there are two unauthorized people on the ship!!!" mystery subplot kinda goes nowhere once it's revealed who the intruders are; it's another case of "oh, okay". The monster design was neat and very reminiscent of the Thing without being an outright copy, although I wish it had had more screen time and more to do (again, a byproduct of the short runtime). The 'Alien' influences in the interior designs of the ship were mega-obvious, too, and it looked great.

34. The Mist - I hadn't seen this one in a while, and I didn't realize it's almost 10 years old. On a re-watch, I still like it but the CGI really hasn't held up. I get why people don't like the sucker punch ending, but I think it works well with the movie's theme that humanity is scarier than any monsters ever could be.

Aaaaaaaaand that's a wrap for this year. :spooky:

• Locked thread