Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie

Hello, BYOB. This thread is exactly what it sounds like. I'll be honest, I was feeling a bit bad about not finishing the Pokemon LP (thanks salmiakki) so I figured I'd try and do an LP of a game that i could keep sustained interest in. Now, I know what you're thinking. World of Warcraft? Seriously? It's actually not that bad. The gameplay may be dated, but it's still an expansive world that doesn't take itself too seriously, and there's enough neat stuff here and there to show to y'all.

This LP definitely isn't going to get into raiding or anything like that, instead focusing on leveling, sightseeing and whatever interesting stuff may be hiding in Azeroth. Who knows where it'll take us?

To that end, let's make us a character. First, we need to pick a class.

warriors are big ol' dudes or dudettes in heavy armor that hit things, using the power of anger to fuel special attacks.

hunters are sort of the stereotypical ranger, wielding a bow (or gun), setting traps for their foes and employing the aid of an animal companion.

rogues have two deadly weapons: sneaking and knives.

priests can heal their allies and protect themselves with holy incantations, or just as easily wield deadly shadow magic to bring pain and insanity to their foes.

shamans draw their power from the very earth itself to do such things as walk on water, throw lightning, and heal their allies. they also have totems, which do things.

paladins are a bit of warrior and a bit of priest.

monks are mystical hand-to-hand fighters with hella mobility.

warlocks wield dark and powerful magics to wither their opponents, manipulate souls, and summon demon friends.

druids can shapeshift, taking on a number of forms to fulfill any role.

there's also mages, but i've already got one of those, so that's off the table. vote about it, please!

UPDATES

I: Beginnings in Teldrassil
II: Questing and Wanderlust
III: A Particularly Brief Visit to Stormwind

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

FluffieDuckie posted:

would it help if i banned you if you don't finish this one?

Let's say upkeep since I don't know where or when I'd end it, but yes. :toxx:

But I can't finish it without starting it, and to that end I'd love it if you voted too.

Scaly Haylie

please just vote

Scaly Haylie

thank you

Scaly Haylie

MrWillsauce posted:

does this game have dwarves in it

yes! however, not all races can be all classes, so we'll see how class voting goes.

Scaly Haylie

MrWillsauce posted:

ok I change my vote from dwarf to protoss. I mean, beards are cool but... carriers

please vote on class, race is later

Scaly Haylie

Bo-Pepper posted:

when I played I played warlock and had a lot of fun so I say warlock

i'm curious, when did you play?

Scaly Haylie

HighwireAct posted:

druid

animal companions are so cool

it's hunters who get animal companions. druids are their own animal companions though.

Scaly Haylie

MrWillsauce posted:

I wanna see a sexy demon lady

odds are, we will

Scaly Haylie

NEVER MIND

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 19, 2016

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

Seconded. Also, pre-emptive vote for Blod Alf.

i'm alliance, so no.

Scaly Haylie

oh gently caress what? are votes still happening? okay, i'll give class voting some more time. :sweatdrop:

Scaly Haylie

my boyfriend's alliance, so it wasn't really my choice :v:

Scaly Haylie

i mean, at least varian didn't cause the worst expansion

Scaly Haylie

Piso Mojado posted:

Liz wiz, why don't you just pick a race/class and just start playing. half the people here don't know what the races/classes are anyhow

because i suffer from choice paralysis and thread participation is good.

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

Are we gonna pick the class specialties too? Also, how come Death Knight isn't on the list?

death knight skips 1-60 and the class never really "clicked" for me, so i'd prefer to avoid it for this thing.

Scaly Haylie

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Just pick whichever combination is going to lead to you seeing this LP to it's end.

that's why it has to be the people's choice. :c00lbert:

Scaly Haylie

Piso Mojado posted:

what's the best class?

that's very subjective.

Scaly Haylie

Piso Mojado posted:

what's the best race then?

each race has some minor and unique bonuses, but it's largely a cosmetic choice.

Scaly Haylie

Piso Mojado posted:

I've never played WoW or rly any mmorpg exempt Trove, what race/class would you suggest for a total newb

interesting question. probably a mage, warrior or rogue of whatever race you think looks the best. warlock's fine too.

Scaly Haylie

FluffieDuckie posted:

what is your commitment to this thread? how many actual playing entries are you going to make?

one every three days at the barest minimum, but you can expect more than that. length of updates may vary, and you all will be the first to know if personal life forces me to miss an update.

Scaly Haylie

FluffieDuckie posted:

ok good. one every 3 days for how long?

the last one you made 3 entries before disappearing.

how many entries minimum can we expect?

that's a bit of a toughie. it's a big world (of warcraft) so there'll be no shortage of stuff to show off so this might be lowballing it, but i am going to say a minimum of 40 updates, with the stipulation that i must reach the level cap of 110.

might do more stuff after i do both those things, might not.

Scaly Haylie

FluffieDuckie posted:

ok. if you do that i will give you a free av

if you don't you'll be probed for a month and forbidden from ever starting let's plays in byob again

certainly. and do you have any class preference?

Scaly Haylie

righto, class voting's open for another 40 minutes

Scaly Haylie

Voting is closed! It's a tie between druid and hunter, so I'll be flipping a coin. Tails will signify the tail of our future animal companions, while heads will signify the head shop all the druids frequent.

Heads!

As a druid, our choice of races is rather limited. Since we're on the Alliance side, these are our choices:

Night Elf

I don't really know what the night elves' deal is lore-wise, but they're rather serious forest mage types. Their bonuses are as follows:

- May fade into the shadows. A form of stealth! Kind of redundant, since druids have access to stealth anyway.
- More difficult to hit! Just slightly, but hey.
- Resistant to Nature damage. Damage types aren't extremely important in WoW; this is pretty much just for flavor.
- Faster movement while stealthed. Certainly useful.
- Faster attacks at night and increased critical chance during the day. Neat!

Worgen

Where wolf? There wolf! Their bonuses are as follows:

- Can periodically move quickly. I, uh, don't have anything to say about this. Sorry.
- Critical chance increased. That's always nice.
- Resistant to Nature and Shadow damage. See above.
- Skinning skill and speed increased. A nice fringe benefit if we want to do leatherworking, which we might, since druids can wear leather armor!

Vote for your preferred race and gender, but don't overthink the bonuses. It's basically a matter of taste. Feel free to throw in a name suggestion if you want, too.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 20, 2016

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

i vote druid as well

Voting closed twenty minutes ago, but hey, you got what you wanted! :ocelot:

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

Worgen but abandon the starting area and arduously hoof it to elywynn forest and do their starter content

Is that even possible? Worgen have a whole storyline to go through.

Scaly Haylie

Hmm. I like worgen enough to give this a shot. Voting is closed gently caress everyone I'm going worgen.

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Not a fan?

Scaly Haylie

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hmm. I like worgen enough to give this a shot. Voting is closed gently caress everyone I'm going worgen.

just kidding, a night elf are we

Scaly Haylie

Macnult posted:

worgen were introduced as a playable race with the cataclysm expansion, also known as the worst expansion.

the new zones in cataclysm were by far the least important part, imo.

Scaly Haylie

Perfect! Our starting duds are, uh, a bit less good than what we were promised, but oh well.

quote:

After years of imprisonment within the Emerald Nightmare, Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage has finally returned to the mortal world. Re-united with his love, Tyrande Whisperwind, Malfurion endeavors now to heal the corrupted World Tree, Teldrassil, and rejuvenate the spirit of the night elf people. Yet as the Cataclysm shakes the bowels of their colossal tree, the night elves brace themselves against the coming storm. As war and destruction close in from all sides, it falls to night elves like you to stand strong and protect the enduring legacy of your people.

Whole lot of exposition, but there are two things you should take away from the game's little blurb:
  • Our home got corrupted somehow. We are going to see corruption come up a lot in this game in various forms.

• The Cataclysm happened. This was a series of natural disasters that changed the face of Azeroth, but more importantly this was the in-world justification for overhauling a bunch of the old areas, replacing the lovely 2004 content with shiny new 2010 content.

Immediately we are tasked with culling some wildlife. There's a lot to take in on this screen, so let me break it down.

In the upper left is our health and mana. Directly to the right of that is the health and mana of whatever we're targeting, which is Ilthalane since we got a quest from him.

This is a...quest window, I think it's called? Dialog and a concise description of whatever busywork you need to do goes here, basically. There's also a chat log directly below it, which doubles as a gameplay log of sorts.

You may have noticed that Ilthalane as well as those two elves in the background have green names. This means they're friendly. We can't attack friendly NPCs or creatures and they're generally cool with us.

In the upper right are the minimap and quest tracker. The quest tracker is fairly self-explanatory, but note the glowing outline on our minimap. This indicates the general area where we can find what we need for our quest - in this case, things to kill.

Finally, at the bottom is our action bar. The 1-0 keys on your keyboard do the things on this, as may be apparent. On the far, far right of this bar is our inventory. The stuff inbetween the action bar and our inventory doesn't matter for right now.

You may notice a bunch of empty slots above our action bar. Those don't matter yet either.

We use our only ability at the moment, Cat Form, which does exactly what you'd think.

Being a cat not only changes our ability set, but the color of our mana bar?! Well, no, it's an energy bar now. Energy regenerates steadily back to the maximum of 100, and we spend it to use abilities like Shred.

Combo points we don't have to worry about yet.

Anyway, we do the thing....

...and I switch to a different capture method, not realizing it's downscaling and kind of fucks things up. But we claim our reward! Quests give out money, a good chunk of XP and sometimes shiny new gear. And that's our first quest!

:toot:

Sorry this was so short, but I wanted to get something up before work to show my commitment. More later!

Scaly Haylie

Munchables is right. I used the term culling for a reason :eng101:

Scaly Haylie

With an entire level under my belt, I am tasked with killing these weird little demon things and rooting through their pockets for a terribly evil moss, a possible clue to what's causing the corruption.

I recover a friend's bags, pilfered by the demons.

After killing each demon, I paw through their body for anything I might be able to sell.

For my trouble, the elf lets me have one of his bags. More inventory space is welcome indeed.

I then go about gathering lilies for an antidote while I fail to realize that the tweak I made to recording settings has made things yet worse. Still, with the speed bonus from my cat form this is easily done.

At level 3, I gain another move. I now have a very basic combat strategy: build momentum using Shred, then use Ferocious Bite for massive damage.

While carrying out the grim task of putting down corrupted spiders, creatures beyond help, I share a moment of moral crisis with my comrade-in-arms.

Here my recollection dims. Pehraps I fell into a fugue state and adventured for about an hour. When I come to, I had reached the eighth echelon of power, knowing how to rip flesh, make my enemies bleed for damage over time. Additionally, prowling unseen in my cat form is now second nature.

I hone my cooking skills. Good food will invigorate me.

Incredibly, I received a letter from someone claiming to be a friend. Spacious, luxuriant bags for the keeping of my belonings, and more gold than I've ever seen in my life!

I do more for Teldrassil.

Before too long, I swell with power again.

My bear form awakens. In this form I am sturdier, and can call down searing moonlight to burn my foes...yet it lacks the ferocity and grace of my cat form, to be sure.

Suddenly, I am aware of possibilities. Different ways to grow.

I can become truly feral, continuing to rip and tear, and do good from the shadows.

I can look to the sky and the balance of the cosmos, drawing power from the sun, moon and stars to destroy enemies from afar.

I can take on the aspect of the bear, granting strength and fury to act as a guardian for anything and anyone I believe in.

I chuckle at the notion of committing myself to restoration; many druids have died that way, and I will not make the same mistake. Still, I may want to offer healing to adventuring parties in need from time to time.

None of these choices would be permanent, of course. To me, The Day Elf, it is simplicity itself to look inward and change my own path. One thing is certain, however: I must leave Teldrassil Isle.

Darnassus has been a fine city to live in, but...I grow restless here. I must go abroad and "find myself", as the youths say. My legs carry me to the docks. I board a ship.

Bells chime, indicating we have arrived at Stormwind. I stir from my meditation, fully committed to...

• ...the way of the feral druid.
  • ...the way of the balance druid.
  • ...the way of the guardian druid.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 24, 2016

Scaly Haylie

I Was The Fury posted:

I vote for feral

Thank you for helping me relive the nostalgia of half of my sophomore year after which I got grounded from WoW because I spent all winter break playing it instead of doing a huge project due the Tuesday after we got back.

Neat. When was this?

Chill la Chill posted:

be a bear sheriff. I tried to find bear sheriff fanart but there's nothing

be the change you want to see in the world

Scaly Haylie

problematic hug posted:

full healr spec :twisted:

I mean, you can throw your vote away if you want.

Scaly Haylie

problematic hug posted:

idk, chuck. the comedy option is always an option. looks like feral is going to win anyway, gl to you on your skinwalkeresque endeavour

the main problem with healer leveling is that every update would be "well i ran a dungeon again, see you tomorrow"

Scaly Haylie

no worries! i was just trying to shed some light on why we probably won't go healer for people who don't know vidjagames.

i'm sure we'll dip into all the specs at some point, just to highlight them.

Scaly Haylie

Business Gorillas posted:

Coulda been a bear and named him treasure smh

There's no way the name "treasure" isn't already taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

My cat form has served me well. I see no reason not to continue using it.

As it turns out, we've been using the Feral specialization the whole time! The game starts every character on a preset spec; we just didn't have the chance to change until Level 10.

As my legs carry me into the bustling city, I ruminate on the fact that my righteous journey will no doubt see me traveling constantly.

It would only be wise to pick up a craft of some sort, to keep my mind sharp and occupy my free time.

A character can have up to two professions. They fall into two categories - gathering and production - and generally speaking, it's a good idea to pick up a gathering profession that will feed a production profession. For example, mining and blacksmithing would be a great idea, but herbalism and blacksmithing would not. As such, I'll be offering up options in pairs.

• Mining/Jewelcrafting: I could strike the earth and make breathtaking jewelry, and create mystical gemstones with which to augment my equipment.
  • Mining/Engineering: I admit, while it's not exactly "druidic", there is a certain charm and novelty to the notion of whirring contraptions and devastating bombs.
  • Tailoring/Enchanting: While it's more the purview of balance or restoration druids, I could certainly apply myself to weaving fine garments. Through enchanting, I could enhance my gear, and break down any magical items I don't need into useful magical components.
:eng101::Tailoring/Enchanting may seem to be a bad idea as they're both production professions - but it's fine, really! Tailoring only uses cloth, which we can find on humanoid enemies, and enchanting only requires components you get by breaking down magical items. Thus, tailoring IS the gathering profession for enchanting. Hope that helps!
  • Herbalism/Alchemy: Taking the bounty of nature and using it to brew powerful potions and elixirs to keep me in good health and bolster my strength. I can't help but wonder if it's a bit too obvious, though.
  • Skinning/Leatherworking: I could put slain beasts to very, VERY good use by tanning their hides and turning them into leather armor.
Blacksmithing and Inscription are also available, but I'm leaving those out. The former wouldn't be terribly useful to a druid, and the latter...has been changed to not be terribly useful at all.

Casting a line into the water while the masses of humanity gossip around me...not a terrible way to pass the time, all things considered.

Fishing, as well as Cooking and First Aid (we can talk about First Aid later), are secondary professions, and don't count towards our two-profession limit.

After fishing for a bit, I stroll about town, ruminating. A rather charismatic chef enlists my aid in collecting apples for a cider. When I returned to him, he stuffed some ribbons into my backpack and shared with me a bewildering, but enlightening culinary tip: mayonnaise on grilled cheese.

Notice that Robby Flay has a blue exclamation point over his head. Blue exclamation points indicate daily quests, which, as you may expect, can be done once per day. They usually confer some kind of special currency.

I also volunteered to help a local fisherwoman by checking her lobster traps.

She rewarded me with what I suspect is garbage.

A posting for heroic work, eh? Perhaps finding a purpose will be easier than I thought.

And now, a mead to celebrate my impending good-doing. Nay, SIXTEEN meads!

Oog...my head...

...oh.

Our hero seems to have woken up in Ironforge! Will he stumble back to Stormwind, or find adventure in the dwarven lands? Also, what professions will he choose? I'm sorry to front-load the thread with voting like this, but I gotta!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread