Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I guess there was a patch

they finished the model updates, there's a new brawl

I guess the new models look nicer than the old ones, which is about all they do, since nobody is still playing. ha... haa....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Free to play soon :shepicide:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Free to play soon :shepicide:

Probably what this game needs? I haven't played it in forever but did have fun when I played it. Then I hit queues of multiple minutes and said gently caress it until it gets released.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've said it before but I seriously think they missed the bus by now, all the hype they generated with the original """"launch""" and the expo/convention circuit is basically gone now. They're running out of money again and going to need to make concessions to F2P Hell like constant new characters to make it back, and that doesn't make for a good competitive gaming experience.

This is all meta-stuff, there's actual game things that are issues too (they basically exclusively nerf these days and there's still too much CC in the old character kits), but none of that will matter.

I'm being something of a hypocrite here since I've also said before that some of my best gaming experiences are in (very, very) tiny communities where you get to know everyone and as long as you're able to play that's all that matters, but Battlerite isn't a perfect game right now and I don't love the community so far (the discord where people set up games isn't terribly pleasant), so I'm less willing to put in the leg work to set up private games and poo poo.

I don't know, I hope this gets figured out but I'm not optimistic.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Yeah no, the community for battlerite is (near) universally bad. The chill people get run out by SLS's near complete lack of in game moderation of the toxic elements. You have to accumulate hundreds of reports to have anything happen; I know of a case where it took dozens if not hundreds of intentional afks to earn a ban.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I stopped playing because I didn't find the game fun to play. I can boot up the game and stare at the character select screen but I still would rather just close it and play something else. I don't think I've played half the champions for more than 30 minutes or so.

They can add new game modes, new characters, keep changing models or whatever, rebalance the characters, improve the community but none of that would make me want to play again since something about the core gameplay is really off to me. I think a good amount of past players agree with this because there's a massive player retention issue. >500000 copies sold and 65000 login at least once in a 2 week period and there's only every 1000-2000 people playing at any given time and free weekends and content releases don't seem to do anything to bring them back

I don't expect anything to change because their development pace is so slow that I imagine testing changes to the base gameplay would take them several months to implement

koolkal fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 30, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Right, I don't think adding content beyond a few very basic things like automated tournaments would really help the underlying issues that the characters move slow, a lot of abilities aren't that fun to use, and a lot of matchups are really unfun even if the overall balance is good enough. I still liked playing with my premade but that honestly just made it worse because so few people queue with full stacks so games took forever to find.

Months ago someone mentioned that the game doesn't have the mechanical depth to survive off gameplay alone and I think that's not quite true, but only when you play with premades. If you listen to interviews with those top teams they often said things like "our comp is just the best in the meta right now and our teamwork is fantastic", and there's very little discussion of someone's insane execution or things like that like you'd hear in a fighting game. Like you can plan out cool strats with your team and it feels good to have them come together but individually eh.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Just play Ashka. Is fun.

I haven't had time to play any games lately. I could technically play battlerite because games are quick enough. I just think they did too little. Not even too little, too late but too little. I always get confused when a company can make an entire game like this and then a year+ go by and they manage to do not much at all? I hope they can rebuild the hype.

I disagree on the cc thing also. I like cc a lot, it's my favorite thing in the world of playing rpg style videogames in fact, and generally there isn't that much cc in BR. It's just something people cry about like in WoW arena at various points.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The game never felt as fast or as balanced as Bloodlines and I cant put my finger on why. There was a dude doing rage videos on this game that could explain it better than me. This game just made the mistake of trying to be esports before it was ready for it. They shouldve just tried to make it fun first instead of treating it like a serious moba clone. Oh and the whole plan around the game and release was bad.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Game good and fun especially if you're not a 400+ hour veteran like me and a few other posters in here. Here's a key for the Lite version. It unlocks some but not all of the characters, and when the game goes F2P you'll still have those ones. Even if you don't want to play anytime soon it's worth using now.

edit: code taken

Macavity fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 3, 2017

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Macavity posted:

DXT??-VRK4P-DGV5Y

I took that, thanks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Hell, have my codes.

FVZ2Q-TFHP5-G89??
2NL54-JNBEI-CEJ??

First one is VE, second one is PA. Mention which one you took, if any!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sad to see the devs squander the good reception the game initially got, and they’re back in the same position as BLC just a year later. Just wasted potential.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pants Donkey posted:

Sad to see the devs squander the good reception the game initially got, and they’re back in the same position as BLC just a year later. Just wasted potential.

My very first post in this thread was something to the effect of "Man, I hope they don't BLC this".

Then by Dec 8, I was already arguing they were going to kill the game by waiting a year to make it F2P despite having had free weekends. At that point there were a handful of optimistic goons arguing in favor of the delay because you can "only make one first impression". Anybody still have faith at this point that the game isn't going to die horribly?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

My very first post in this thread was something to the effect of "Man, I hope they don't BLC this".

Then by Dec 8, I was already arguing they were going to kill the game by waiting a year to make it F2P despite having had free weekends. At that point there were a handful of optimistic goons arguing in favor of the delay because you can "only make one first impression". Anybody still have faith at this point that the game isn't going to die horribly?

They BLCd it, but in all the wrong ways

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

It had a ton of momentum up front. It was consistently in the top ten on Twitch and then they made the announcement to push the F2P timeline and it tanked along with the word of mouth.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Would an earlier f2p have helped in retrospect? The game still has massive player retention issues with 500000 buying the game at the beginning of the year and the vast majority not logging in anymore by february despite paying for the game. And the existing playerbase seems really unhappy with the pace of development too.

I was against the f2p delay in december but now I think the game would have been a letdown either way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

koolkal posted:

Would an earlier f2p have helped in retrospect? The game still has massive player retention issues with 500000 buying the game at the beginning of the year and the vast majority not logging in anymore by february despite paying for the game. And the existing playerbase seems really unhappy with the pace of development too.

I was against the f2p delay in december but now I think the game would have been a letdown either way.

I think it would have given it more of a chance. If you have a bigger player base, it resolves some of the issues the game has. The matchmaking will have more people to pull from for both speed of gameplay and getting you a more even match, for example. The free weekends were fairly popular. I doubt it would have saved it (it was going to get killed by MOBAs existing), but it would have had a better chance than just throwing it in a hole for a year.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Personally I feel like SLS are just too afraid to decide what they want the game to be. They should either start putting out a ton of new champions, make the game primarily 3v3 and hinge on interesting team compositions and ability synergy, or they should have added more depth to the combat. For me, the game was very easy to burn out on, because I felt that after spending a few hours on a champion, there was nothing substantial to learn. I know there's things I can improve on, but it feels so minuscule. Small decisions or optimizations you should worry about after 50 hours on a champion, not 5.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I still roll my eyes whenever people act like this game is already dead and buried when it hasn't even launched yet. Most gamers don't know it exists, they haven't advertised it at all since the initial launch. A month after the F2P launch, if it's got 500 concurrent users, then you can do your post-mortem about how they hosed it up. edit: and even that would be 10 times more than BLC had

That said I totally agree that 3v3 with tons of characters that have interesting interactions/synergies would be more interesting than the 2v2 flowchart thing that I usually play. 3v3 queues just never pop :negative:

vvv I can never tell if people are being ironic about the egg brawl. most boring poo poo ever (especially the awkward lack of sound effects/voices/music)

Macavity fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 10, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The new brawl really sucks. The first one, Bakko's Egg Brawl, was perfection. The Balloon Brawl wasn't bad either but I don't think it was as strong. This new one is miserable though. It's probably the most experimental (despite changing little other than team size) and will probably get them the most useful data, but it just isn't fun to play. The characters aren't designed for 1v1 and this heavily accents that both in terms of imbalances and, as Kevin Bacon said, the lack of depth in a character's tool kit and the general systems. Egg Brawl was basically the exact opposite, which trimmed the game down to like 3 buttons but the increased movespeed alone added significant mechanical depth.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If having more than 500 concurrent users is your bar for success, then yes, your dead gay game will probably be a success.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.battlerite.com/newera/

Well I'll be damned.

September

Season 5, the last EA season, begins.

Free week starting this weekend

The Halloween event returns for 5 weeks, more new weapons, 4 legendary outfits, a bunch of other cosmetic stuff.

October

The new UI 2.0 launches

Battlerites are getting a significant overhaul. All Battlerites will be active from the start of the match. You can "build your loadout" before the game and presumably change your battlerites at some point before a match starts.

New game mode, TBA.

November 8th

Free to play launch.

New champion.

200 new cosmetics.

7 new songs added to the game, including arena intro themes.

Season 1 begins.

Implementation of an AFK detection/punishment system

Later in November

Another new champion, possibly a Metal Warden port?

A "prehistoric" themed event with a bunch of dinosaur and caveman inspired cosmetic rewards.

December

Another new champion?!

Return of the winter event

2018 roadmap

A tournament system

New HUD

Clan system

3x new champions in Winter 2018

New modes, maps, and brawls.

Lunar new year event

Xbox launch

:vince:

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wow. They listened to the feedback and turned things around. I just hope it isn't too late.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like all of that, assuming the battlerite change works out well.

Also, assuming that lady is New Metal Warden, it's funny that they de-sexied her design from BLC when they did the opposite for basically every other female character.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Don't worry, that'll be in the model rework that happens a few months after

The battlerite loadout change excites me the most because I think the current system is pretty awful

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Have to check this out again in November. Last time i played queues were obscene hopefully that resolves it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

haha the Halloween event started and the chests can't be bought with gold/tokens, it's gems only minus the one? free halloween chest you get.

subreddit having a melty here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleRite/

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Minrad posted:

haha the Halloween event started and the chests can't be bought with gold/tokens, it's gems only minus the one? free halloween chest you get.

subreddit having a melty here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleRite/
To be fair, box prices seem higher than before and aren't available with gold. The items aren't available with tokens. They have had no communication on whether this will change in the next week or two or not. If this was like a "1 month exclusive" period or something it's fine.

SLS is pretty bad at that kinda stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2017

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
The gameplay is less interesting and engaging than the one in BLC. Things have been simplified down (oh hey guys, good news, we'll be releasing Battlerite on XBox), individual play doesn't feel as exciting. I only log in every once in a while to stomp worse players in casual or while climbing because I can't convince myself to spend time optimizing things. BLC has done things wrong, but every time I logged in I knew that I could improve my ability usage, increase my accuracy with M1 attacks and play certain situations better.

I am disappointed with Battlerite and the new promised features, since the game appears to need a fundamental remake (which will never happen).

RBX posted:

There was a dude doing rage videos on this game that could explain it better than me.

It's probably this guy, he makes some good points that went unaddressed.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
BLC was better but I kinda like Battlerite, hope will it will have some sort of playerbase after the new update. So far I like playing Blossom the most.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I finally managed to force myself through the anime of Doki Doki to get to the day of the festival.

:stare:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

So, the Battlerite change is coming this week or next, and with it... well, here's a quick video showing it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXiT5sj3eX4

they do dev blogs on monday so expect some more details later today?

e: well that was fast https://blog.battlerite.com/dev-blog-33/

So it's split into a couple phases and that's all one map being shown off in the video. They're also getting rid of the casual queue for arena and removing the "ranked" title from the remaining queue, so there will be 2v2, 3v3, and battlegrounds queues at launch, with an option for custom games as well. Battlegrounds is intended to be a low stress environment to try out new heroes or just as a break from the regular arena game mode.

There's also quite a few words about 2v2 or 3v3 being SLS focus. 2v2 is popular with new and casual players so it's staying in, 3v3 makes for the better competitive environment and will be their focus for ~~~~~~~~ESPORTS~~~~~~~~~~. Sounds about right, glad they realize it.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 16, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was really hoping Battlegrounds was going to be 5v5 or more like the old pseudo KOTH mode on BLC, but at least it sounds fun.

While I'd rather them keep Casual for both arena formats and to remove 2v2 from ranked, this is a decent enough fix. Previously it was simply too difficult to find 3v3 ranked games, hopefully this will consolidate it enough that queues are shorter. 2v2 is just too frustrating after a while if you don't main one of the strong solo queue characters or if you play someone with really polarizing 1v1 match-ups. It's not an issue of losing too much, but of having the losses that do happen feeling much more predetermined.

Also give us a bloody date already, there's barely any "October" left!

e: is the OP still playing this? they haven't posted since February. I think it'll need a new thread next month and I'm happy to make/maintain one, but I wasn't sure if there were already plans in the works and I don't want to step on any toes

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 16, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Not sure why developers always responding to their dying game with "Hey, let's split the matchmaking even MORE!" but here we are. Also the whole "Well 3v3 is clearly what we want to be the main mode, but we don't want to commit to it." doesn't instill confidence.

I want the game to succeed, as I had fun last year with it, but I dunno man.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pants Donkey posted:

Not sure why developers always responding to their dying game with "Hey, let's split the matchmaking even MORE!" but here we are.

They're doing the opposite of that though - they're reducing the number of queues from 4 to 3, and only 2 if you want to play the main mode.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

They're doing the opposite of that though - they're reducing the number of queues from 4 to 3, and only 2 if you want to play the main mode.
Maybe I'm out of the loop then, since I thought it was two queues (2v2 and 3v3)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

There's 2v2/3v3 solo (you can do both at the same time, so let us say 1.5) 2v2 team, 3v3 team, vs AI, and Brawl now. They're getting rid of Casual & vs AI, and adding Battlegrounds as the new unranked casual mode.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Since late last year there have been 4 main queues:

1) League 2v2
2) League 3v3
3) Casual 2v2
4) Casual 3v3

with "vs AI" and the occasional Brawl in the mix as well. If you are by yourself you can queue for both League or Casual types at once, but if you have two or three people in a party you can only queue for the respective comp size modes (you might be able to queue 3v3 casual with a duo? but I imagine the number of people doing that is incredibly, incredibly small). This actually means there are effectively 6 queues if you want to split hairs since it will never pair a solo queue person against a premade in League but that just gets messy to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

There's 2v2/3v3 solo (you can do both at the same time, so let us say 1.5) 2v2 team, 3v3 team, vs AI, and Brawl now. They're getting rid of Casual & vs AI, and adding Battlegrounds as the new unranked casual mode.

They are not getting rid of "Vs AI" in the new patch:

quote:

When Battlegrounds is released we plan to remove the Casual queue for Arena (2v2 and 3v3). Arena will always be played as a Ranked mode when using the matchmaking system while Battlegrounds will be an unranked mode. You will still be able to practice Arena in vs AI or setup your own games via Private Match.

• Locked thread