Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

quote:

You will still be able to practice Arena in vs AI or setup your own games via Private Match.
Sort of seems to imply that they're getting rid of AI too. vs AI is an unranked casual arena mode as well as the actual casual mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I just hope the update manages to be "today" and not "after destiny 2 launches on PC"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
everyone please upvote my very important thread on a very pressing issue, thank you

also if I don't hear a response from Ruzhim by the start of November I'm gonna put together a new thread for F2P

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I upvoted your thread and also have the top post in it :waycool:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
patch notes:

https://blog.battlerite.com/patch-0-14/#more-1651

there's a lot to take in here, i'll just say i'm glad Fleetfoot was finally adjusted and ezmo is a bit less stupid. some characters got a lot more poo poo than others in terms of New.

also they gave Ruh Kaan a rite that gives him Harbinger M2.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Countblanc posted:

everyone please upvote my very important thread on a very pressing issue, thank you

also if I don't hear a response from Ruzhim by the start of November I'm gonna put together a new thread for F2P
Ashka ult not hitting behind you is a massive nerf.

So is splitting the must-pick t1 talent into two separate talents.

The croak noxious reaction nerf kinda sucks also. Instead of making it consume toxin to heal 8+deal 8 on strike they just removed it entirely because it was a bug?

Anyhow, the changes mostly seem tame.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 20, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

So will you still choose battlerites from 5 tiers with 3 choices each (or two for the ult) or will you simply pick 5 from the 14 choices?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You pick 5 battlerites from the 14 (I'll just assume all characters have 14, I didn't count). The only restrictions are:

- You can only have two battlerites that are tied to the same ability. For instance Pestilus could take Sacrifice and Swarm Queen, or Swarm Queen and Broodmother, but not all three because they're all tied to the "Queen" ability.

- You can only have one battlerite tied to your R or Ultimate ability (one for each). This seems more like a technicality since most characters don't even have 2 and some don't have any, but a few do like Ruh Kaan.

- You can only have two "perk" battlerites.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Seems a lot more interesting than the old system since there's a lot of options for actual customization

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was browsing the old baako's rave blog (blc guides and stuff) and was reminded how cool Guardian was. I was really hoping for Thorn as the new F2P hero but looking at Guardian's kit I hope it's her. Her kit was something of a mix of Sirius and Rook:

- M1 charged up over 8 seconds, at full charge it dealt extra damage, cleaved 180 degrees, and inflicted slow (otherwise pretty weak)

- M2 threw a wide piercing axe projectile that very briefly incapped the target[s] both coming and going, mostly just long enough to interrupt a cast or to let you walk closer.

- Space was the big ability, Intervene - like Rook's charge, and actually inflicted Armor Break (and dealt damage) if you hit an enemy, but it healed both you and an ally if you ran into them instead and charged your M1 AND refreshed the cooldown of Intervene, but you could only Intervene the same ally once every few seconds. This let her basically pinball around the battlefield if your allies were positioned appropriately.

- EX Space was effectively Raigon's space but also inflicted armor break. Mostly existed as an i-frame and way to get out of being bodyblocked.

- Q was an AoE incap (think Sirius' moonstone but incap instead of petrify) that also froze the victim's cooldowns for the duration, letting you tack a few extra seconds onto their cooldowns.

- E was a trance that basically functioned as Sirius' except instead of charging your weapon you Silenced whoever you appeared next to after it was triggered. Also removed movement debuffs.

- R was one of BLC's weird not-shield barrier spells that, rather than absorbing a set amount of damage, reduced all incoming damage by a high percentage, like 70-90%. When Guardian's took a certain threshold of damage it popped, Weakening everyone near the shielded ally.

- EX R was her infamous Chain Heal (originally a base ability rather than an EX), where you skillshot a rather big heal that would also bounce twice and gave a haste buff to whoever it healed.

- Ult was like Croak's where you dashed through people in a wide arc but it dealt its damage upfront and debuffed everyone with "Deep Wounds", which dealt damage whenever the victim used an ability for the duration. Another i-frame plus a big pressure tool if you hit the whole team.

Honestly very few of her mechanics are that complex for a BLC character and I think they could port her over almost directly. Probably make her old barrier into an actual Shield since Battlerite loves its homogenized language and you could keep the Weaken-on-break on it since it's an R. Alternatively turn her Q (aoe incap) into an R, then make the barrier into a regular ability.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Patch is tomorrow but it may be delayed a day or two

here's the hype video to get you guys excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RhlOfw8Xk

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
patch is live

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
How's the new gamemode? The subreddit is flooded with people raging about the color blue and nobody's talking about the actual game -_-

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I played 2 matches of it and it felt awful. There's not really a very good indicator of what's important or what everything does. And the entire loop of doing events to charge up your big dude HotS-style isn't implemented very well. Even when you get a full charge, you still have to ride into the enemy spawn and then burn through a shield just to get some damage in. Which means there's never any real damage done until after 10 or whatever events and the guardians start marching. Also there seem to be levels but there's no real indication of how much of an effect it's having besides seeing your damage numbers go up.

In general, there's not very many indications of what's actually happening in the match. In HotS, there's always a big pop up or sound effect or the actual visuals of your entire screen change. Also, there's way too much waiting around for things to happen. Waiting 15-20s for events to spawn. Then having to have an event finish despite your charge being past 100%. Then you have to wait like another 30s for the spawn doors to go down so you can actually attack the guardian. It's just way too long with too much time spent doing nothing but hiding in a bush.

Also the new UI is trash and has too many menus and different tabs to go through if you want to find anything. I blame the xbone

The new battlerite system is better though

koolkal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 24, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I liked the new mode more than that, it's pretty mindless fun and it's funny hitting for 35 with a Ruh Kaan M1, but agree that there is too much waiting. I do think there's enough transparency - the announcer loudly states when there's a new objective, which is printed on your screen and the minimap.

The mode is horribly balanced though or at least feels a lot less honest and more arbitrary. Like the map is simultaneously too large for meaningful 3v3 combat, but you also just constantly bump into people and you have no idea what cooldowns they've used in the past 2-3 seconds. This is particularly frustrating during the phase where you attack the guardians since sometimes there will just be someone wandering around randomly and you'll get dismounted, meaning you probably don't get to participate in the guardian fight. This is particularly annoying because the guardian's HP totals seem balanced around the 3v3 fight centered around them so when it's just two people (or worse, just one) you get very little done with even a minimum amount of interference from the other team.

Respawns are a blessing and a curse. MOSTLY a blessing, and I'm glad a respawn mode exists since I think it's a lot less pressure to perform for new people, but in Arena when someone dies that generally means the end is nigh and you get to start the next round soon. In Battlegrounds spawns can get staggered and you can end up 2v3 for extended periods. It doesn't feel as bad as it sounds since 2v3 in this mode doesn't translate to "I guess you just die now", but it's still quite grave long term because what it probably translates to is a 2v2 in one corner while their living person slinks off to get some free Minion kills or what have you.

I also think it's incredibly important for force a kill around the ~10 seconds-before-Guardian phase if you're defending, and also to save any damage-dealing ults for that phase. I think any battlerite that facilitates burst, either via Stuns or just more damage, is going to be super strong in this mode. Same with characters who have great outs (as such I think Rook is one of the weaker melee options since he can't escape over walls); I'd say I feel bad for Lucie but I haven't seen a single one so far.

That's a lot of negative words but the mode seriously has a nice feel to it for me. Characters are really chatty (they say kill lines after killing minions and its funny), you get the good lizard brain tickle from doing huge numbers, comps matter but it's a lot harder to notice so you sorta forget about it, and some of the objectives are cute. Phantom Jumong in particular always makes me laugh when he nails someone off screen with his ult.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I like the mode but jesus it feels like an endurance match. My first game was close (no guardian died until after the 8 events) and it was over 20 minutes long. Ruh Kaan's ult is hilariously effective for guardian fights though; cleave guardian AND enemy team while you have infinite sustain! Wheeee!

I think if they can make it more like a 5-10 minute match, it would feel better. That said, the variety is cool, and it does feel way lower stress than a regular 2v2/3v3 queue.

Also drat, it's just another reminder how much better the game feels with 3 players. They should just ditch 2v2 ranked entirely to try and highlight the 3v3 mode as the "real mode" to encourage people to queue for it. Maybe Frito player base will be big enough to sustain 3s queue, though.

Minera fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 25, 2017

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Y'all are playing the mode wrong if it's lasting through all the objectives. Focus on collecting the red sword orb things. Get ten, hit people for 40 damage autos, slaughter their guardian, repeat. Objectives are traps to lure in unsuspecting opponents to feed you more swords.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah when I ran it in a duo queue this morning we just went objective gamer and made picks and kept crushing games in like 5 minutes. Friend was kinda negative on it though; getting player kills didn't feel very effective since people respawn so quickly that vs good players I could see games dragging out forever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Killing players is only super useful seconds before the Guardian phase or when they have sword orbs. I mean you should always do it when given the opportunity since it's exp and denies them map control, but those are the only times it actually feels immediately beneficial.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
now I'm just a commentator on a pseduo anonymous forum but in my opinion they should have spent resources on making more champions or making the unique part of their game better instead of trying to make defense of the ancientz-1.4.1-[Stunlock].w3m

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*starts sweating*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ycRdJtBafs

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

aw poo poo, the motherfucking thorn is back! is that for the nov 8th patch?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Looks like it.

Haven't played in a couple of months and am trash garbage but at least my main man Blood Priest is back. Sucks that they gave his EX teleport to RK, but the nuke on m2 is pretty nuts.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So how does this thread feel that Dota 2 ripped of Poloma for it's new hero? :v:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Just logged in for the first time since the update.

(1) How do you make a worse ui than the old one? Lmao. I don't even know if this is salvageable, because if they went to the old one they'd have to make less changes to create a good ui.
(2) Why does it mess up my custom loadouts with wrong talents in-game? Specifically, ashka's firewall talent got set to a lovely firestorm talent in two of my builds. I was able to change to firewall in-game just fine.
(3) How come "fullscreen" and not fullscreen both don't lock my mouse cursor into the window?
(4) Why did it reset all of my options?
(5) Ashka's new icons are real bad.
(6) Closing the client makes it crash instead of closing. We're hearthstone now fellows.

To expand on 1, it's like some abomination "late 90s rpg ui" meets "touchscreen ui" and neither one has any relevance to the game or genre. It was cobbled together by someone with no regard to scale, visual flow, or how a ui is interacted with. To make it worse, things like picking talents have different UIs in-game and out of game, and everything is buried under 20 layers of menu even if it doesn't have to be. Is this really something they put significant devleopment effort into? :(

First impression wise, it's really not obvious what is going on at all and I know the game and its systems. The "default loadout" thing makes it seems like you're picking between 5 different builds, and it was difficult to even locate how to create my own talent trees in the menu out of game. The "ready" step is also really not obvious after modifying talents in-game. Everything about the new ui is real disappointing. It just made doing everything awkward and more difficult. It's the exact opposite of the direction you want a ui to go in.

I hope they plan on massively overhauling the UI (again), because the new UI alone is going to kill this game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 3, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The new UI is very blatantly designed for controllers (for the coming XBone release) and it shows. It isn't mouse-friendly at all.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Countblanc posted:

The new UI is very blatantly designed for controllers (for the coming XBone release) and it shows. It isn't mouse-friendly at all.
If you do an XBone release you do a separate UI. Or, at least create a good hybrid UI? I don't understand how massively inconveniencing your pc player base permanently seemed like a good idea.

Even checking my friend list to see if some goons were on to whine to was difficult.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The UI kind of sucks but setting up and saving alternate loadouts was immediately obvious to me. Having to swap between the skill tabs and the loadout tabs to see what the skills do is dumb but at least it keeps the changes made.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I stopped paying this game back when Ezmo came out and tried it again now after the big patch. The game has certainly improved, the new battlerite system especially. It really reduces the amount of waiting between the rounds.

The balance seems also pretty good. I watched some tournament games out of curiosity and the variety of picks was pretty big. Apparently some matchups are unbalanced but that seems inevitable to me and it's normal not every battlerite is equally good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
here's what I currently have for the new thread OP. tell me what you think:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149492

Should I have a section for people's in-game names?

I'm also going to make a second post detailing champs but I haven't started on that yet.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Might want to mention the way health works in terms of healing + orbs and healer cooldowns

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Also worth mentioning that you can only spend currency on chests (except for duplicate tokens), like in Overwatch.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Also worth mentioning that you can only spend currency on chests (except for duplicate tokens), like in Overwatch.

Will there not be a way to unlock heroes for frito players?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Thats' not true, you can also buy Champions with gold, if you have the early free edition.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Oh, yeah I am dumb. You can spend coins on both silver chests and champions. You can only get cosmetics from chests or by buying them with duplicate tokens.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

it's almost here... the free to play launch you've all been waiting for... yes, this november 8th, come explore the preseason patch in league of legends lol

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Minrad posted:

it's almost here... the free to play launch you've all been waiting for... yes, this november 8th, come explore the preseason patch in league of legends lol

Hey now, that preseason patch is actually pretty legit. They're completely redoing runes and masteries to replace them with a brand new system.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of patches, they just put out the launch patch (barring Thorn). Mostly minor balance tweaks, changes to enemy stats in Battlegrounds + a new bg map, the new cosmetics, and some bug fixes. Oh, and Boosters.

Still gonna wait until f2p to open my loot box hoard in hopes of Thorn loot though.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of patches, they just put out the launch patch (barring Thorn). Mostly minor balance tweaks, changes to enemy stats in Battlegrounds + a new bg map, the new cosmetics, and some bug fixes. Oh, and Boosters.

Still gonna wait until f2p to open my loot box hoard in hopes of Thorn loot though.

it was confirmed a while ago that lootboxes have their contents determined at the point when you get them, so you won't get new items for sitting on old boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kikas posted:

it was confirmed a while ago that lootboxes have their contents determined at the point when you get them, so you won't get new items for sitting on old boxes.

Incorrect, some of my friends who were hoarding boxes got some of the items added today. I remember hearing that it was determined at time of opening a while ago as well, but at the very least I can confirm that it works like that as of this latest patch.

e: I also opened a few and got a pile of jade tokens in one, which were only added today.

• Locked thread