Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Baron Corbyn posted:

Agree with the person who tweeted Foley, even if they're still aiming for a more sports-like presentation for the cruiserweight division, they should have had TJP face off with Kendrick or something after the match.

I feel like observing the fight from the audience is a heel move though. I always think back to Ultimo Dragon's debut, where Face Champion Misterio sat on commentary putting him and the Cruiser division over while Billy Kidman put on his best Money Mayweather suit and observed from the crowd looking like a hugely arrogant prick who was not impressed by anything he saw. I suppose if a face played Soccer Hooligan/Fanboy along with the front row kids that could work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Once upon a time the future of WWE was sacrificed upon the altar of John Cena who was already over. Now, it’s being sacrificed on the altar of Roman Reigns who isn’t over.

Two questions. One, is the heat Roman is getting “we enjoy this guy and show it by booing him” heat” or just plain “we don’t like/want this guy” heat?

Two, the concept of “4* Roman.” Is it because the opponents are doing such a good job in carrying him, is it because Roman actually IS that good, or is it because there’s something about Roman that makes him easily carriable?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
4* Roman is 4* Roman because that's how Dave rates his matches.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Magnificent.

https://twitter.com/XavierWoodsPhD/status/778052893308022784

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

rovert posted:

7 hours plus of the Raw brand between Sunday and next Monday
If someone watches all that and is miserable from it they have no one to blame but themselves

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CobiWann posted:

Two, the concept of “4* Roman.” Is it because the opponents are doing such a good job in carrying him, is it because Roman actually IS that good, or is it because there’s something about Roman that makes him easily carriable?

Roman has one really big asset as a worker IMHO, and that's an impeccable sense of timing. He instinctively knows just when to do certain things, especially that Superman Punch. It makes for a lot of really exciting and interesting spots and set pieces, especially combined with his other less-important-but-still-useful positive attribute, which is the ability to make his offense look very physical and impactful. Provided he has an opponent that can execute those spots with him, is a good seller so that impactfulness comes across properly AND do all the planning and transitional stuff that actually turns a collection of spots into a match, you've got good matches.

There's nothing wrong with any of that. Timing is an incredibly valuable asset. Its something that's really hard to teach if you don't have natural talent for it. Timing was the thing that made Orton truly special instead of just another talented mechanic like a Dean Malenko. As long as you have a big bull pen of really great psychologists/sellers/ring generals/well-rounded workers, which WWE does, Roman has everything he needs to LOOK amazing regardless of any other deficits in his skills. It certainly worked for over a year when he was in The Shield. The issue is that Roman can never work with lesser people because his flaws will be immediately exposed. Neville got really good matches out of Titus O'neil and Baron Corbin down in NXT, but Roman almost surely never could.

The other issue is Roman's booking constantly has stupid things like "lay around for 10 minutes while the other two guys wrestle," or "take a break backstage for the next 20 Rumble numbers," that allows the fans to see through the facade they've tried to build around him. Without that facade, he doesn't have the ability to get over. The same thing happened to Goldberg, and Ryback, and Diesel, and a dozen other guys who were pushed beyond their skillset based on a look/aura/association with someone better and eventually had their aura shattered.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Just cut the chase and have HHH replace Foley as the GM already, we know that's what is going to happen just get on with it.

It's boggling how HHH can oversea NXT, CWC, and Smackdown to an extent, but Raw is just a complete and utter shitshow

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Chris Jericho is amazing and the only thing that makes Raw remotely watchable. Once he goes back on tour with his lovely band they should just cancel the show

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

This shoulda been Zack Ryder's gimmick.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I'm kinda sad that Jericho read from a list he made and didn't mention armbars even once.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Roman is bad in the ring and last nights cage match was bad. And no one even likes Roman he isn't even booed anymore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sighing intensifies

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Sighing intensifies

:laffo:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Didn't Orton go Awol?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Every week that goes by without a Roman heel turn it gets exponentially funnier

You can turn him face again after a year as a cool heel, it'll be fine, Cena used to be a heel, just loving do it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thats the concussion talking

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Randy Orton got a bad conduct discharge from the marines for going AWOL twice and insubordination. He spent a month in a military prison as a result.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teddybear posted:

Randy Orton got a bad conduct discharge from the marines for going AWOL twice and insubordination. He spent a month in a military prison as a result.

If you can find him, and you have the money....you might just be able to hire....oh wait, poo poo, he's injured again.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Reminder that he was supposed to play the title character in the marine 2 until the marines kicked up a fuss about him.

Also despite having done tribute for the troops the organisers for it never wanted him on the tours.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
It's crazy the number of white people telling black people how to protest. Insanity.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Teddybear posted:

didn't he beat the poo poo out of a guy for not reading the bible

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"champion losing a 1v1 match clean in a non-title scenario" will never ever not be loving terrible. makes absolutely zero sense and does nothing but make current champ look like a chump.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Keeping your mouth shut, now that's courage

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MinibarMatchman posted:

"champion losing a 1v1 match clean in a non-title scenario" will never ever not be loving terrible. makes absolutely zero sense and does nothing but make current champ look like a chump.
It's kinda alarming, because one can safely assume that they're trying hard to legitimize the brand new shiny championship on the flagship show. And this is what they come up with. This is the kind of spite-booking I was expecting for Smackdown's title scene but nope.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
In an ideal world I'd say that Randy Orton has a good point, in that actually joining the marines takes a lot more courage than protesting an anthem as a rich/powerful/celebrity type person.

Except you know, he quit and got thrown in jail like a huge cowardly loser.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
If Owens gets a rey mysterio title run, I'm saying that fat guy is the new small guy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

Don't forget the guy kicked out of the champ's finisher.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chris James 2 posted:

Sighing intensifies

I'm glad Brock busted him hard way

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MVP is cool

randy orton can go eat poo poo, loving awol going hypocrite

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Minidust posted:

It's kinda alarming, because one can safely assume that they're trying hard to legitimize the brand new shiny championship on the flagship show. And this is what they come up with. This is the kind of spite-booking I was expecting for Smackdown's title scene but nope.

This, plus introducing the cruisers the same way they did the NXT women (the purple tron and logo was neat, Mick Foley reading from index cards because these guys are so generic he can't remember names and hometowns for 4 people, and throwing 4 random dudes that the Raw audience mostly doesn't know out there with no context and no sign of their new 'important' champion isn't) is so frustrating when poo poo like the CWC and the Balor push and AJ/Cena make it clear that they DO know how to do this stuff, but they actively choose not to, see it failing, and then claim that the stuff that works 'only works for a certain audience'.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I fast forwarded the cruiserweights when they plodded through the first two segments of the match. I expected action and speed and flipping, not a standard WWE snoozefest won by a 37 year old

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Efexeye posted:

I fast forwarded the cruiserweights when they plodded through the first two segments of the match. I expected action and speed and flipping, not a standard WWE snoozefest won by a 37 year old

brian kendrick owns, gently caress you

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Efexeye posted:

Kendrick rules and the match was really good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kendrick is better at telling a story during a match than almost everyone else on Raw

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lol that the marines are still pissy about orton going awol. not as pathetic as the national guard complaining about miz interrupting the national anthem, but still

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
what the gently caress was up with Bayley getting pinned off of a goddamn big boot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kendrick in the match is a mixed bag. I love his heel act, but he got no promo time to set it up. He's a guy the audience may know, but they may also know he was a lower card guy for most of his last run, so it make the belt seem like a jobber title. He's a fantastic worker... but he works a very 'normal' WWE style, as opposed to a Metalik, so we get a smaller version of a WWE house style match instead of something that stands out.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

brian kendrick owns, gently caress you

Also the match was good. Also Foley holding the cards had nothing to do with how generic the guys are and everything to do with concussions.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Bard Maddox posted:

what the gently caress was up with Bayley getting pinned off of a goddamn big boot
she's in the dog house, brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also the match was good. Also Foley holding the cards had nothing to do with how generic the guys are and everything to do with concussions.

So get Corey to introduce them. Or just have JoJo or whoever introduce them normally. Hell, have Corey and Tom do the commentary to set things apart from the regular Raw presentation.

Outside of the match itself, I just can't see anyone thinking this was a success out the gate. Everything around it was a mess.

• Locked thread