Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
With the 30th anniversary of the greatest movie of all time occurring recently, its time for the quarterly Transformers: The Movie (1986) thread. With that in mind, let's mine a few topics related to the movie that haven't been mined yet. For instance

-Why did it not receive Oscar consideration that year, in any category? Winners that year were Out of Africa (ugh), William Hurt (ugh, should've been Judd Nelson), Geraldine Page (should've been Corey Burton), and best Director was Sydney Pollack (*major eyerolll* should've been Nelson Shin)

-Whose performance was better? Robert Stack or Judd Nelson? Both *probably* should've shared an academy award.

-A lot of people say Orson Welles ended his career and life on top, but is this really the case? Some jokesters say Citizen Kane eclipses Transformers, but I'm *pretty sure* they are just trolling.

These are just a few of the queries one can tackle when approaching a discussion of this film, feel free to add your own! I for one wish they had made a shot-for-shot remake of it instead of whatever we got with the Michael Bay films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Tenacious J posted:

Hey I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but can you poat some nudes?

Need to get a wide angle lens, but yeah, I'll get em' up in the near future :wink:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Manchild King posted:

I was going to vote trash movie designed to sell a new toy line, but I see that isn't an option so I'll just go with greatest movie ever I guess.

Yes! This is definitely the kind of enthusiasm that makes it such a tour de force in cinematic history! I agree it's the great movie ever also!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
I was bummed out about Ironhide, Prowl and Optimus Prime of course. They did spare Jazz, which doesn't make sense in retrospect as his voice actor died not long after.

The TV show is really lovely, even irrational nostalgia doesn't dupe me into thinking it was good, for some reason I think the movie holds up fairly well; good soundtrack, decent animation, particularly for the 80s.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Smythe posted:

heres my fav beast wars ep from when i was a teen. its the one where dinobot saves the future of humanity by using the last of his power (like battery for hibernate on computerts..) to eye-laser destroy the Golden Disc against an impossibly stronger foe, the max lvl megatron. wonder why dinobot never got any new toys. guess kids didnt like him, but its pretty obvious trhe writers did. pretty cool sendoff for a kids show. pretty standout episode too. hackneyed sure, but whatever. episode opens with a seppuku suicide attempt from dinobot. wtf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTidX136XNY

Never saw Beastwars, might have to check it out at some point. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Principal Hellmann posted:

where's the Go Bots: Battle of the Rock Lords thread???

You have the power to make this dream a reality FYI. TBQH I didn't think the GoBots were so bad, but then I guess if you're a kid and its either that or nothing it seemed like a good alternative.

• Locked thread