Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
my bitter bi rival
Mar 21, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

On a different note, I recently went to Protege in Palo Alto and it was excellent. The non-tasting menu is really good value but their tasting menu is like 4 courses for $120. Still if you want to go to a place that will definitely get a Michelin Star before it gets a star I highly recommend getting reservations there in the near future.

i just made a reservation for this place (a la carte -- gf doesnt eat red meat) thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

my bitter bi rival posted:

i just made a reservation for this place (a la carte -- gf doesnt eat red meat) thanks.

Hopefully you guys like it. Out of the four Lounge entrees, the risotto was the least good but it was still pretty tasty. The dumplings and "fish and chips" were both really good for appetizers as well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

embrace your inner slack

a longtime question i've had

why are there so many fuckin restaurants in san mateo

is it like a liquor license thing or what

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

its a good location between some of the other bigger peninsula cities and has a big 'downtown' city with density. But there are shitloads of restaurants up and down el camino. There's some really good asian food hidden away up this northern end of the peninsula.

I found by accident one of the 4 remaining real oak charcoal grill korean bbq places that have grandfathered permit to let you grill with charcoal at your table, in San Bruno of all places! It just changed owners/chefs a few months ago and was amazing. It's not good for first/second dates because you and your date are going to smell like you went camping, the smoke gets in your hair and clothes.

Ranter fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2018 around 21:01

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 11, 2012

This particularly rapid unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Ranter posted:

I found by accident one of the 4 remaining real oak charcoal grill korean bbq places that have grandfathered permit to let you grill with charcoal at your table, in San Bruno of all places! It just changed owners/chefs a few months ago and was amazing. It's not good for first/second dates because you and your date are going to smell like you went camping, the smoke gets in your hair and clothes.
Please, please, the name?

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

sorry its a simple google korean bbq san bruno theyre called Seoul Kalbi Korean BBQ

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 11, 2012

This particularly rapid unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Sorry, down my part of the Peninsula there are often multiple Korean BBQ places per town, and I assumed San Bruno followed suit. Try that Google in Sunnyvale, for instance.

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

yeah nah i was being snippy i forgot to list the loving restaurants name

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Please, please, the name?

They're pretty good. I miss Galbi Time in Oakland having charcoal grills.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a longtime question i've had

why are there so many fuckin restaurants in san mateo

is it like a liquor license thing or what

Look at Burlingame, Redwood City, and Millbrae, not quite the same level, but I think that they all have their city center that has a high concentration of places too.

my bitter bi rival
Mar 21, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

Hopefully you guys like it. Out of the four Lounge entrees, the risotto was the least good but it was still pretty tasty. The dumplings and "fish and chips" were both really good for appetizers as well.

Really great meal and outstanding experience

my bitter bi rival fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2018 around 03:58

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

nice brunch spot with 'a view' ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007
Ask me how it all ends!

Oven Wrangler

Cliff House

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

cheers

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Oof. I donít know that Iíd do Cliffhouse if you want to eat food that is good, but Iíll say Iíve never eaten brunch there and Iím also not much of a traditional brunch food person. Itís a lot of Sysco prepackaged stuff, like quality of a mediocre hotel banquet.

I like Slanted Door, Waterbar (can be hit or miss but I usually am doing shellfish and booze) or Outerlands (not right on the water) if Iím taking friends out.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007
Ask me how it all ends!

Oven Wrangler

Only been there for a wedding & reception, it was acceptable rather than foody, but it sure did have a view.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007
Ask me how it all ends!

Oven Wrangler

Does Shadowbrook down near Santa Cruz still do brunch? They were tasty and had a view.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looking for a place to go with about 10 older guys, it's a dinner club that meets once a month. Usually they'll pick places like Capurro's, or Marcello's, Jeanne D'Arc, that sort of place, which is fine, but as it's my month to pick I'd like something a little more exciting. Was thinking of Violet's, Blue Plate, or Maven. Any one have any experience with those spots or other suggestions?

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

Been to blue plate twice, its great but not new/different/exciting.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Been to blue plate twice, its great but not new/different/exciting.

Full bar? Or beer/wine only (if you remember)

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

beer wine only I think I don't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I like Maven but Iíve only had drinks there.

«10 »