Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Carillon posted:

If you're on the mid-peninsula I really really like Backhaus. Their pastries are on point and the bread is super good.

Don’t give away the secret, with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

You can now get union-made morning buns from Tartine

I've moved back to the city now after a stint in LA. My whole food context was basically mission/divis/soma, and i'm now in the sunset (Taraval/19th). What's good out here? I love all cuisines but i'm really hankering for some vietnamese

Well growing up one of our favorite places was PPQ beef noodle house. I haven't been in 5 years maybe? But the last time I went I remember it being awesome. Otherwise the place that I used to go to a whole bunch was King of Noodle. They do handmade noodles and I'm pretty sure the dumplings are hand made as well. I haven't been there since the whole pandemic thing started so it's been a minute, but if they're still around I can only say good things about them.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Dancing Peasant posted:

Don’t give away the secret, with

Yeah, you don’t want any food critics blowing up your spots.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the recs all, will definitely check some of these out.

OGS-Remix posted:

There's some pretty good bakeries all over the bay, was there a specific area you were looking at?

Sorry, that was definitely vague. I'm thinking around San Mateo to San Jose, though I'm not averse to traveling a bit for good stuff.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

minato posted:

Within San Francisco:

The supposed best croissants are at Arsicault Bakery. They are pretty good, there's always a long line, and they basically just do croissants and little else. Croissants are notoriously hard to get right.

Tartine is always super popular but I don't really understand why.
Arsicault is tops imo. Was just there this past week. Don't forget to try the Kouign Amann. Pair with a flat white from Breck's next door

Tartine's croissant is also good but darker, more breadlike, and less buttery / flaky. It's less satisfying to me but this is more a matter of personal taste

B patisserie is a distant third, but still good

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Carillon posted:

Well growing up one of our favorite places was PPQ beef noodle house. I haven't been in 5 years maybe? But the last time I went I remember it being awesome. Otherwise the place that I used to go to a whole bunch was King of Noodle. They do handmade noodles and I'm pretty sure the dumplings are hand made as well. I haven't been there since the whole pandemic thing started so it's been a minute, but if they're still around I can only say good things about them.

I'll definitely have to check those out, seems like there's a ton of good stuff up towards irving and also down noriega.

I'm also looking for some filipino recs since Daly City is like, right there from this end of the sunset

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Rosalind in Pacifica is really good. Also Backhaus.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

yeah, manresa croissants are great! I also really like Mademoiselle Colette (RWC, PA and MP locations).

for very hearty breads, Esther's German Bakery in Los Altos

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Reminder that we also have a discord: https://discord.gg/nUnWQfVr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

district of thizz posted:

I am a fan of manresa bread, specifically their kouign amann. They have locations in Los Gatos, Los Altos, and Campbell.

gently caress yeah manresa kouign amann

but wherever barefoot is getting their baked goods from, I need to go there, the ones they have now are extremely good

I’ll ask tomorrow when I pick up coffee

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Barefoot Coffee gets their baked goods from Panorama in San Francisco now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

amethystbliss posted:

Rosalind in Pacifica is really good. Also Backhaus.

Seconding Rosalind, their sesame rye bread is fantastic for smørrebrød.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

luminalflux posted:

You can now get union-made morning buns from Tartine

I've moved back to the city now after a stint in LA. My whole food context was basically mission/divis/soma, and i'm now in the sunset (Taraval/19th). What's good out here? I love all cuisines but i'm really hankering for some vietnamese

no idea on pandemic status, but Toyose is a super fun experience. More fun as a group going for the first time, I think; might be kinda tough right now. And Outerlands for a bowl of soup and a big chunk of crusty buttered bread on a foggy day owns bones.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a good source of fresh masa on the peninsula? I've been working with the maseca and thought it might be fun to see what fresh stuff produces.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I learned something new today--I've never seen blackcurrants even when they would be in season. It turns out they've been federally banned from the US for a long time because they could carry a fungus that would devastate white pines and make the lumber lobby very sad.

It seems like that ban has been lifted in most places, but because most Americans don't even know the fruit exists, there's no demand and blackcurrant is still nowhere to be found. I'd like to make some blackcurrant jam, I wonder if anyone's seen them, maybe at farmer's markets?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
So I live in the south bay. When I lived in the midwest before that, Chinese food places often had sweet and sour chicken- an extremely battery sweet and sour chicken designed to be dipped in sweet and sour sauce, rather than having it already on. Very large pieces, kind of like a fried meatball kind of deal.

I cannot find this anywhere in the south bay. I would really like to have this again because it's a bit of a comfort food.

Does anyone know any place that might do this?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What are the best american bbq joints in SF that aren't 4505? the BEST

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Nea posted:

So I live in the south bay. When I lived in the midwest before that, Chinese food places often had sweet and sour chicken- an extremely battery sweet and sour chicken designed to be dipped in sweet and sour sauce, rather than having it already on. Very large pieces, kind of like a fried meatball kind of deal.

I cannot find this anywhere in the south bay. I would really like to have this again because it's a bit of a comfort food.

You could try looking for tangsuyuk which is a Korean-Chinese version of sweet and sour pork that sounds pretty similar to what you are describing (though it’s not chicken). You can ask for the sauce on the side and/or it is usually served that way when packaged to-go. Yelp lists a number of places in the South Bay that serve it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ranter posted:

I enjoy Memphis Minnie's BBQ Joint on Haight.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Nea posted:

Panda Express?

Not kidding, you can probably get this kind of thing there. I know they have that with pork, I’ve had it before.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Ranter posted:

The couple of times I’ve been there, Baby Blues in the Mission was legit. They’re right south of the corner of Cesar Chavez and Mission, on Mission, open til 8.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

eschaton posted:

The couple of times I’ve been there, Baby Blues in the Mission was legit. They’re right south of the corner of Cesar Chavez and Mission, on Mission, open til 8.

We were going to go to baby blues last night but then ended up getting shitfaced in el rios garden past 8pm :(

impossible whopper aint bad

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Bringing this thread back from the dead, but my sister recently tried to go to Benkyodo to get some mochi before it closes.

The line was around the block an hour before it opened lol. Has anyone tried it recently? It closes on March 31st so if anyone wants to try some that's how much time you got left.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Appreciate the headsup, but yeah with lines like that probably not something to make a trip up for.

Speaking of the bay, I remember vaguely reading about two new tiki bars that opened in the city in the last two years or so. Googling now all I can really find are re-openings or stuff from 2018. Does anyone know which two that might be? I think one was Zombie Village but I can't remember the other one.

Also to add something to the convo, Fog Bird recently opened in San Mateo and it's fantastic. We've been a few times now and the cocktails there have been top notch.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Only ones I know of are Last Rites and Zombie Village (RIP Tradition) back in 2018

I love tiki so if there’s new ones in the city I’d love to check em out

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Only ones I know of are Last Rites and Zombie Village (RIP Tradition) back in 2018

That must be what I'm thinking of, I may also have been confusing that with Dr. Funk which did just open? Thanks though, it's tough with covid I feel like I've lost all concept of what's new

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
There is a new one in the Sunset, but I've heard it's not great.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

There is a new one in the Sunset, but I've heard it's not great.

Only one I’ve been to out here is Tiki Haven and it is not great at all. Tiki bars should not have a Big Buck Hunter.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I got to Benkyo-do at like 8:30am thinking I’m in a good spot when they open at 9am and grab some mochi real quick. Fuckin’ nope. There was a line all the way to the corner on Webster St.

And after 90 min of moving about 30 feet total, the lady comes outside and says they’re nearly sold out and if you’re near that corner you won’t get any mochi. I ended up walking away and settling for mochi elsewhere.

I figured today was a good day since the weekend is pretty impossible with everyone trying to get their final fix before Benkyo-do permanently closes at the end of the month.

So FYI if you plan on going, treat this like a Black Friday event and bring a tent or something idk

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Between the San Francisco Zoo or the Oakland Zoo, which one is better?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

luminalflux posted:

I'm curious as well. I go to the Kon-Tiki in oakland every now and again, but I'd love to find new spots.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hope it's alright to ask a Horrible Tourist Question - I'm in SF the nights of 1 and 2 May and me and my fiancée want to have a really good meal while there.

We're staying around Chinatown but happy to travel (within reasonable limits) for good food. Happy to spend money but not like French Laundry money (still on the waiting list).

Preference is modern American, but no burgers - more towards fine dining or interesting casual.

Any tips ( also for lunch / breakfast would be super appreciated)!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Hope it's alright to ask a Horrible Tourist Question - I'm in SF the nights of 1 and 2 May and me and my fiancée want to have a really good meal while there.

We're staying around Chinatown but happy to travel (within reasonable limits) for good food. Happy to spend money but not like French Laundry money (still on the waiting list).

Preference is modern American, but no burgers - more towards fine dining or interesting casual.

Since it's coming up so soon I'd recommend cross-posting in the LAN thread as that gets more traffic
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032519

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I kind of lost touch of all the hip new restaurants over the last few years. These are what come to mind.

State Bird Provisions is always good. Definitely "modern American."
Rich Table is pretty good, but they've been on the heavy side lately. They also lost their star, if that means anything to you. I don't necessarily care, but it does feel like they've been resting on their laurels a little.
True Laurel is very good. This is a "sister bar" to Lazy Bear, which is supposed to be good, but I've never been!!
Trick Dog is around the corner from True Laurel and is good too. Both of those are bougie cocktail bars ($15+ drinks) which serve food, but I've honestly never been disappointed with anything I've had from either. Worth the money IMO.
Al's Place is pretty good too. I've always had the "family style" tasing menu, fwiw. "An inverted steakhouse" so the veggies are the main and the proteins are the side.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Between the San Francisco Zoo or the Oakland Zoo, which one is better?

Oakland zoo

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Toe Rag posted:

True Laurel is very good. This is a "sister bar" to Lazy Bear, which is supposed to be good, but I've never been!!
Trick Dog is around the corner from True Laurel and is good too. Both of those are bougie cocktail bars ($15+ drinks) which serve food, but I've honestly never been disappointed with anything I've had from either. Worth the money IMO.

True Laurel is good, I thought Trick Dog was overrated. This was after they won their one of the best bars in America award though, so maybe they were coasting on their laurels. That was also several years ago so maybe it's back to how it was before.

Edit: To actually contribute:

Junior G-man posted:

Cotogna is a good Italian place near Chinatown, they're owned by the same people who run Quince (which is next door and a 3 michelin star restaurant). Angler is kind of expensive but pretty good as well. Their fish is a little overpriced imo, but they have this radicchio salad which is amazing. Mourad is good Moroccan food, but their best dishes are meant for more then 2 people. There's also House of Prime Rib which is solid. I haven't been to Niku Steakhouse, but supposedly that's pretty good as well if you're interested in steaks.

A lot of these places have their menus online so take a look before choosing where to go. If there's any particular cuisine you like, I can try to think of some other places too. All the places I listed you can either walk in or get reservations on shorter notice. If you have more time like at the end of May, more possibilities can open up.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 28, 2022

Carillon
May 9, 2014

In Chinatown we really loved Mr Jiu's. Prepandemic and all but it was amazing. More old school SF look at Tadich. They do some amazing fish, I live their sanddabs which I think are locally caught. It's a fun break and very much part of SF history.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This place was featured in an NHK show called "The world's most hard-to-enter bars" (popular but very local and unpretentious)
I wanna go next time I'm jet jagged in SF.

https://youtu.be/zj-JvJxO1wM

Clooney's Pub
+1 415-826-4988
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2cjXh6bymse9vbzs5

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

These are all more places near where I live that I can walk to but:

Blue Plate might work for a nice modern American place and isn't usually so crazy busy that you can't find a reservation relatively short-notice, or they do pick-up and delivery as well, my wife and I did a pick-up and then did the short hike up Bernal Heights to eat at the top of the hill overlooking SF last summer, not sure if weather will be cooperative enough for that this weekend.

Foreign Cinema is great but I doubt a reservation will be available

Al's Place is mostly seafood or veggie dishes but they'll also have some limited availability other dishes that are quite nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Toe Rag posted:

I kind of lost touch of all the hip new restaurants over the last few years. These are what come to mind.

State Bird Provisions is always good. Definitely "modern American."
Rich Table is pretty good, but they've been on the heavy side lately. They also lost their star, if that means anything to you. I don't necessarily care, but it does feel like they've been resting on their laurels a little.
Al's Place is pretty good too. I've always had the "family style" tasing menu, fwiw. "An inverted steakhouse" so the veggies are the main and the proteins are the side.

Made reservations for true laurel on the Sunday, looking forward to that one!

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations- might check some of the others for lunch or the Monday!