Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Switzerland posted:

Can someone explain the thread title to me? It's been vexing me for a while now :(

They are all foods associated with San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Hadlock posted:

Re: food desert of soma

On the way back we passed ATWater Tavern. Looks more high end, will have to check it out soon.

ATwater has good food but terrible service.

SOMA is a paradise compared to bleakness of Mission Bay :sigh:

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Steve Yun posted:

I'm staying in Fremont this weekend for a wedding in Newark, anything good in those two cities? If not I guess I'll check out places in the op

There's tons of great Indian, Asian, and Afghan food.

My personal recommendation is the gyro pizza at Falafel Corner.
It's the restaurant I miss most from Fremont.

King of Dumping is great choice if you're in the mood for Chinese

TLT BBQ has really great Chinese skewers

Pakwan has really great Pakistani food

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Gorilla BBQ in Pacifica is the best I've had in the Bay.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

AnonSpore posted:

I need recommendations for really good:

Carbonara
Tonkatsu
Udon

Marugame in southern SF is an udon chain from Japan that makes all their noodles fresh and has a lot of fun toppings.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks to everyone else for the other recs. I dropped by Marugame a few weeks ago but the line was so long I just got something else instead. I'll try and catch em during off hours or something.

The line gets a lot shorter around 8:30/9:00

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Please, please, the name?

They're pretty good. I miss Galbi Time in Oakland having charcoal grills.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Carillon posted:

Anyone have a favorite bbq restaurant in SF or on the peninsula? We usually go to 3 pigs in San Carlos, and have been to Gorilla a few times, but looking to take my partner our for a fun meal so would love a new recommendation.

Have you ever had Chinese barbecue(Shaokao)? It's not really barbecue in that it's cooked with direct heat but it is delicious nevertheless. I recommend Aceking BBQ in the Richmond.

I haven't found anything better than Gorilla for American style.

aqu fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2019

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

404notfound posted:

Anybody know where to get good bread in the south bay? I was just up in Berkeley with a friend and got to check out Acme, which had a huge variety of different breads. But when I try to look for bread/bakeries down here, it's mostly pastries and cakes.

I just want a decent selection of reasonably priced loaves of bread, but it's been hard trying to find something anywhere near San Jose. The closest I've come is Manresa, but from the website, their offerings seem surprisingly scant.

Though a smaller selection than their retail stores in SF and Berkeley, Acme is available in select grocery stores in the South Bay. Here’s a list of stores that carry it by city.

aqu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Nea posted:

So I live in the south bay. When I lived in the midwest before that, Chinese food places often had sweet and sour chicken- an extremely battery sweet and sour chicken designed to be dipped in sweet and sour sauce, rather than having it already on. Very large pieces, kind of like a fried meatball kind of deal.

I cannot find this anywhere in the south bay. I would really like to have this again because it's a bit of a comfort food.

Does anyone know any place that might do this?

You could try looking for tangsuyuk which is a Korean-Chinese version of sweet and sour pork that sounds pretty similar to what you are describing (though it’s not chicken). You can ask for the sauce on the side and/or it is usually served that way when packaged to-go. Yelp lists a number of places in the South Bay that serve it.