Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I am not a foodie nor a native, but I do live here and I like putting combinations of edible ingredients into my face pretty often.

+1 to Suppenkuche!

+1 to Orenchi Ramen, everything there was amazing including the appetizers. mmm, karaage. Went far out of my way (I live in the outer East Bay and work in SF) to meet up with an LA-based foodie-migrant friend there; did not regret it.

+1 to Eureka, was just there a few weeks ago, great burger, great drink selection, nice atmosphere (upscale but not trying too hard like so many places here do.)

New listings:

German food: I've also been to Leopold's and remember enjoying it.

Sammiches: Deli Board is a sandwich shop in SoMa (Folsom between 6th and 7th) and has some of the best sandwiches I (or anyone I ever brought there) have ever tasted. Guy who runs it knows what he's doing. His take on Jewish deli sandwiches, Rye Project (7th around Mission) is also really tasty (even though it's not exactly Second Avenue Deli / Katz's...)

Japanese: In/near the Japantown mall I like Yamadaya Ramen and (general izakaya type menu, not just ramen) Mifune in the mall's restaurant row. If they're still operating, the JapaCurry food truck in FiDi has great katsu curry.

Pizza: The Pizza Shop on 24th in the Mission is good New York / New Jersey style pizza by the slice. Zero Zero in SoMa is decent fancy-person pizza w/ a well stocked bar. Drake's Dealership in Oakland in the low 20s off Broadway has surprisingly good pizza & similar for a beer garden type joint. Also, you know...Drake's beer.

American/whatever: Right near Zero Zero is Jamber which has pretty good food and an interesting wine/beer selection. The Trappist (somewhere around 10th and Broadway in Oakland) has a small but decent food menu and awesome beers.

I doubt anyone gives a poo poo about my suburban enclave, but here in Lafayette, I like Pizza Antica, Uncle Yu's, Oyama Sushi, and Blue Ginkgo.

Ending with a complaint: I'm really sick of decent diners closing down and/or getting replaced by lovely upscale brunch-rear end places. This area is already lousy with overpriced mimosas and it's now actively hard to get a decent hearty omelet without going out of my way :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

Surprised you like Uncle Yus tho, my girlfriends parents live right above that building basically and it's p mediocre/standard chinese for a clientele that's 90% old white people.

Oh it's definitely white person Chinese (I mean...it is in Lafayette), it's just pretty good for that particular category. Then again my wife and I have a minor sentimental attachment (first place we ever ate here), also we're super boring.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

OGS-Remix posted:

There was a goon meet up in Alameda a few years ago and we ate a place called American Oak. It was pretty decent and had flights of whiskey which I thought was interesting.

Are there any other places similar to that or have flights of whiskey? Restaurant or bar doesn't really matter, but if they have good food that's definitely a plus.

Don't remember if they have flights per se, but Nihon up at the top of the Mission has an extensive whiskey tasting menu and (Japanese style mostly) appetizers / small plates. Bit on the expensive side probably.

Also Whiskey Thieves in the (upper) Tenderloin, which is more of a bar type place.