Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Comedy option : Saison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Get a California burrito from Señor Sisig

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Mission (like burritos)

No need really if you've had a california burrito from Senor Sisig. Unless you want a worse burrito experience than the divine combination of french fries and filipino pork.

edit: I had a pancho villa burrito today that was definitely not as great as it could be. Like, I've had better burritos there this week.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Commonwealth is upscale without being too dressy

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I like Maven but I’ve only had drinks there.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I've only been to Dumpling Time but their tom yam soup dumplings are amazing

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Carillon posted:

Anyone been to Kin Khao? I hadn't heard much about it but it looked good?

I had lunch there, which was good but not mind blowing. Definitely good bang per buck.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Speaking of stars the new Michelin guide is out and apparently Saison had to surrender a star to a restaurant in *checks notes* Sacramento???

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Farmhouse Thai in Jack London Square has some legit-rear end food but only go there if you love restaurant birthdays

There's one in mission / Potrero but the clientele was all bougie tech people when I went

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Where can I get good khao soi in SF? I had mindblowing northern thai in LA and i need more of it in my life

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ranter posted:

Mr. Jius is high end with some fusion/modernity to it. Good cocktails. If you go here PM me I'll see if I can get you VIP treatment.

I went a week ago for my birthday, it was pretty good - turnip cakes and steak rice were definitely highlights. The second floor lounge is amazing, definitely check it out if you go.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Carillon posted:

Went to Mister Jiu's for my girlfriend's birthday thanks to this thread. She loved it! Thanks all for the recommendation. Highlights were definitely mapo tofu, egg drop, and the steak fried rice. The mapo was very good, reminded me of a more classic approach but the silken tofu 'block' was a nice touch. The egg drop really comes across as corn soup with egg drop on top, but still really good, I loved the squash blossom they floated on it. Lastly the steak fried rice was rich without being heavy, the heart really added some great flavor and richness.

Small downsides, the dutch crunch pork buns were great but inconsistent, one or two had the topping just fall off before biting into it. The dumplings had a great filling and flavor (plus they were dyed pink!) but I thought the wrapper was a bit tough, maybe it's a style thing but they came across overworked to me.

Cocktails were across the board great. I'd wanted to try Baiju in a drink and their version let the spirit shine through but tempered it so it wasn't too overwhelming.

The dutch crunch bao really aren't worth it. I loved the sea urchin cheong fun which was probably the highlight of the meal for me. My partner and I also liked the turnip cake and the steak rice was amazing.

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got a good rec for a wine tasting thingie in Napa Valley?

Mumm if you like bubbles.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cat Puke posted:

Where can one go to get some fresh apple cider donuts?

I went to Apple Hill (up 50 past Sac) and had a life changing apple fritter and apple donuts

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Apple Hill tree farms are the best place to get a Christmas tree btw, it's a really fun day trip

I got ours last year from Delancey Street foundations stand by the market Safeway. A lil pricey but it’s for a good cause (helping homeless and ex cons)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Went to Ippuku in Berkeley this weekend. Really enjoyed their yakitori and scallion pancake, and the outdoor walk-up bar is nice.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Regular Al Pastor from El Castillito on church is the best mission burrito in my book. Senor Sisig for California burritos.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I've only been to Tacolicious once and it was the marina one. Probably the bougiest experience i've had that didn't involve shopping at the upscale """bodega""" on 16th/valencia

Good pastrami tacos tho

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ranter posted:

Thought 4505 was great BBQ

As someone who's baseline for BBQ is North Carolina: It's kinda meh in a sea of meh SF BBQ. I'd probably stack rank Cat's Head > 4505 == Memphis Minnie's > Hardwood

I've given up on BBQ in SF.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ranter posted:

Can you expand on what makes it meh, why one is better than the other, what makes them all meh technically? Not saying this is the case here, but we've had people claim that SF doesnt have good pizza like NYC and it seemed like nostalgic bullshit. I wanna know the real differences!

It's just not the mind-blowing good pork shoulder BBQ i'm used to from NC.

AFAICT SF's BBQ situation is dependent on there not being a big tradition of BBQ here, compared to the south, and when you do find it it's tri-tip. Don't get me wrong, tri-tip is amazing but it's not texas brisket or whole-hog pork. It probably also doesn't help that labor costs are high and I imagine permitting for a smoker is a nightmare in the city.

BBQ places here also don't seem to be focused enough on delivering one style, but cater to transplants - i've seen joints have multiple styles of sauce. No place in the south would have lexington-style sauce, eastern NC vinegar-based sauce, SC mustard style and alabama mayo-based all in the same restaurant.

Also pizza here is pretty mediocre across the board.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My friends run a coffee roastery in the sunset and the air quality regs were pretty insane to deal with when they put in their new roaster. Apparently it has an afterburner to clean up the emissions

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That’s good because their burger I had was not good. Way too salty

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Wrecking Ball?

Andytown

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

What are some good sushi spots around the mission/castro? So far I've been disappointed by sushi time, warakabune and we be sushi. Eiji is ok but service is a bit slow.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Ichi if you want to drop some serious money. I haven't been in a few years though and went with a BF that was a famous chef so they were for sure pulling out all the stops. Hamano is more Noe Valley but is FANTASTIC, either at a table or the omakase counter, also very weirdly cheap. It looks like a tourist trap from the outside but that's because Saison's former sushi guy bought a 35+ year old joint and changed all the food but not the decor. We Be Sushi is not good but as an SF native I have a lot of nostalgia for it and the lunch specials are a good bargain. Shizen is quite good if you're into vegan/veggie food. I like it much more than Cha-Ya's vegan sushi. Bon, Nene may not be what you're looking for, but it's a French/Japanese fusion and was at one point Michelin rec'd, but not starred. It's interesting and has nice breakfast. Also, Mission and 23rd is where Sun Fat is located and it's the only place I'll buy fish or shellfish to cook at home. Also, it's definitely the supplier for many restos in the area. If you're nice, they will sell you lots of fun treats as well. I really like their packaged seaweed salad they make in house. One time, one of the ladies I'd made friends with brought me out a cup of hot clam broth (much like they serve at Old Clam House) to sip on while I shopped. If you're closer to Zeitgeist, Izakaya Rintaro was good and I like the booth seating they have, kinda like little horse stalls. Might be not the neighborhood you're looking for, but Ijji on Divis is also very good. Sorry if that is too much. I've worked in/run/consulted in restaurants for almost 20 years so food is my partner & I's passion. I like talking about it.

Thanks for all the recs! I'm right by the Dolores cathedral so some of it is a trek. I've heard good things about Shizen from my vegan friends but usually a wait from what I can tell and will probably check it out since my partner doesn't do fish. I've been to Rintaro's pop-up yakitori and loved it, we keep meaning to try their real menu.

My partner used to work in coffee and we keep in touch with her industry friends, but we're both not missing the 4am wake-up because PG&E decided to shut off power to block and lose temp for a weeks worth of dairy and pastry prep.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mozzeria is a block down from me and we just started getting pizza from there. Picking up from them reminds me of being a monitor mixer at a concert - lot of hand signals. I like their salumi and margherita but delfina has a better salsiccia pizza.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pakwan has cleanliness issues unfortunately, their last score was 71.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I wouldn’t have noticed unless Yelp threw up a big warning when we considered going there to check their menu. But looking on the city’s website they improved from 70 to 71 on last inspection and seem to have long running temp and vermin issues. I get that a restaurant or inspector can have a bad day but they don’t seem to care hugely?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

withak posted:

If you go out on Christmas for anything but Chinese then you are Doing It Wrong.

We got Chinese delivered for Christmas Eve and it was glorious

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pizzachat: I’ve been to Del Popolo twice in 3 days

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Do you think Del Popolo's storefront or truck is better? After visiting their store, there were only 1 or 2 pizzas that were better then takeout and some from the truck were actually better.

I’ve never been to their truck or had their takeout

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Don’t bother with Dear Inga though.

Was meaning to try it some time, what's the deal with them?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

peanut posted:

Hello thread, I'm looking for leads on import wholesalers that 1. supply IT company snack stations, 2. have connections with Bay Area coffee chains, and/or 3. work directly with Japanese companies (JP language support).

We used ohmygreen at a previous place and Fare Resources at my current job for snacks

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Did Monk's Kettle change owner or chef or something? Went there tonight and their burger was definitely not as good as i remembered.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I’ve had Orenchi Beyond and it wasn’t good. Goku is good but not great.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Where can I get 'nduja in the city?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

More a point of curiosity than anything but, are there any particular knife sharpening services that are known to be good/to be avoided in the bay?

I’ve had good experience with Bernal Cutlery as a lay person - can ask around with my chef friends if you’re industry

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

:welp: I got sharpening stones since Bernal was backlogged. Definitely tricky doing it yourself the first time but kinda relaxing

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

i mean, im not a doctor but i don't think dolphin meat is edible?

[edit: wrong thread sorry]

Totally is depending on amounts of mercury you want to expose yourself to. I’ve had whale steak, whale carpaccio, whale nigiri and walrus steak in Iceland.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Cove is a documentary you might want to watch regarding dolphin and other cetacean hunt in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What? I thought there was just a big to-do and a BOS vote and FEMA funding so they weren’t kicking anyone out? Where are you getting that from?

E: sorry, this is the food thread. We are sad about no crab but we are still going to do spicy seafood boil for holiday meal, what are y’all making?

Got a 3 rib roast that i've broken down, going to do a roast on the grill tomorrow and make a kickass gravy. Served with brussel sprouts and potatoes gratin.