Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Cythereal posted:

I have relatives who keep rabbits in the suburbs for meat. Much less work than goats, much less noise than chickens, lots of rabbit fur for knicknacks and whatnot, and rabbit is delicious.

But so cute. Like goats and chickens. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think if I got a goat, it'd be a pet, and unslaughterable. What with those snootle, its ground tappers, and its wiggly listeners.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Goats own, I want a herd I can love to bits, then eat the bits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WerrWaaa posted:

But so cute. Like goats and chickens. :(

Cows and sheep and pigs can be cute and friendly, too, but that bacon cheeseburger ain't gonna make itself. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I see no problem with raising a creature, giving it a good and healthy life, and ending it quickly and painlessly when the time comes.

I think it makes us appreciate food more, once we realize where it comes from on a gut level.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

I think if I got a goat, it'd be a pet, and unslaughterable. What with those snootle, its ground tappers, and its wiggly listeners.
the ground tappers are not only for tap, are for climb!

edit: I no longer eat octopus though, they're too smart. It feels unethical.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I grew up on a working beef cattle ranch and did a ton of hunting and fishing. As long as you don't get too attached to your animals it's not really a problem eating them. It helps that cattle are dumb as rocks and not very charismatic, so none of them were pets.

Goats you have to milk twice a day which is a bit more commitment than I want right now.

I love cows

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Caufman posted:

My wife is from the Fiji islands and one time her grandpa pointed out to the goats and told her to choose her favorite. Of course, she chose the cutest one, not thinking any more of it because she was a little kid.

They had goat curry that night.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Cows and sheep and pigs can be cute and friendly, too, but that bacon cheeseburger ain't gonna make itself. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I see no problem with raising a creature, giving it a good and healthy life, and ending it quickly and painlessly when the time comes.

I think it makes us appreciate food more, once we realize where it comes from on a gut level.

I ate Mongolian beef today, and it was delicious, thanks be to God.

I have three main reasons I would fully or partially abstain from meat. First is that everything tasty is cute. Second, their minds and mine have a common ancestor. Third, because I think I can, especially if I had fresh and abundant dairy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife is from the Fiji islands and one time her grandpa pointed out to the goats and told her to choose her favorite. Of course, she chose the cutest one, not thinking any more of it because she was a little kid.

They had goat curry that night.

Yup. My cousin who grew up on a farm was partially in charge of the chickens. When she was six, her parents made her choose which chicken would be served with dumplings that night.

To her credit she picked the jackass rooster no one was sad to see go, to hear her family tell it.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only person with a goal of goat stewardship. Someday. Someday I'll be with goats.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I believe cats are non edible in most of the world, so I have one.

Yeah, bunny is too cute for eatings. Chickens and anything bigger? Less so.

Now, if the world state declared we all need to go vegetarian to fight climate change, I'd do it. Just give me plenty of delicious buckwheat.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly scientists going "we're all going to eat bugs so we're developing bug recipes" and then just like... making whole roast bugs in a pile are why you don't have scientists cater your bbq

that's not related but your thing about going veg for the environment made me think of it. get chefs in on your bug meals, scientists, and then maybe i'll think about it but until then stop trying to act like a steak and a fuckin pile of bugs are equal

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I had bugfood back in the spring, and on one side of the plate I had grasshoppers in fried dough and the other I had a pile of mealworms fried as is. I mean, the worms weren't bad per se, but there was just something revolting about eating maggot-looking things in mediocre cayenne rub.

If we want people eating this stuff, put it in dough, it tasted great.

Goobish posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person with a goal of goat stewardship. Someday. Someday I'll be with goats.

Yo, if you want to live in protestant-communist paradise a sorta ok place sometimes, come raise Danish goats with me and friends!

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 20, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Did woke space jesuit get banned again

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Nah he just took a sabbatical for unannounced reasons afaik

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
we really should just try to make some people eat less and others more, really.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

System Metternich posted:

Nah he just took a sabbatical for unannounced reasons afaik

cool, but i need his 'don't gently caress with the bruenigs' pic now :(

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Crap, I know the pic you're talking about, and now I wish I had it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
liz bruenig is the only nice person on twitter and she's constantly getting poo poo on by random journalists for no reason

meanwhile trad catholic twitter spent half of yesterday accusing each other of gnosticism

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chernobyl kinsman posted:

liz bruenig is the only nice person on twitter and she's constantly getting poo poo on by random journalists for no reason

meanwhile trad catholic twitter spent half of yesterday accusing each other of gnosticism
back when i was a tradcath that was code for feminism or not hating trans people, is it still that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

she deletes her tweets every 48hrs or so, which means i can't post the one where her autistic husband responded to her pregnancy by drawing up an excel spreadsheet of how to care for the baby. the baby's responsibilities were listed as 'in utero' and 'parental care' :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

how can you in good conscience say this and not share

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

If it's the beef I'm thinking of, it was about an article by Matthew Walther--who is incredibly Catholic--about the Harvey Weinstein fallout: "Against Sex." The "gnostic" objection came from his description of sex as "meat rubbed against meat for a few minutes."

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 21, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

she deletes her tweets every 48hrs or so, which means i can't post the one where her autistic husband responded to her pregnancy by drawing up an excel spreadsheet of how to care for the baby. the baby's responsibilities were listed as 'in utero' and 'parental care' :3:

I saw that one!

Also, Elizaboo! Bruening is the cutest Halloween handle :3

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how can you in good conscience say this and not share

its funnier in the abstract than in the particulars. keromaru5 has it right; the debate was over whether or not that was "degrading the marital act":

this was very funny though:

HEY GAIL posted:

back when i was a tradcath that was code for feminism or not hating trans people, is it still that

no i think this is a different thing

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 21, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

his article about europe was all right tho

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i haven't read it because i think he's kind of a dweeb

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I don't understand fixation on sex stuff.

Sure, it's very intimate and important but also takes up a small fraction of our time.

Meanwhile, most of my students are missing half their teeth by age 30ish or younger due to lovely commodity food diets and poor access to dental care. Just to name one example.

edit: I'm not saying sexual issues are unimportant, just that many churches put an incredibly disproportionate emphasis on them over other more immediate concerns.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 21, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

JcDent posted:

I saw that one!

Also, Elizaboo! Bruening is the cutest Halloween handle :3

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/thekirbybot/status/920932488519622656

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what’s gonna happen when he takes communion??????

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

what’s gonna happen when he takes communion??????
theosis, which is what's supposed to happen to all of us

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I don't understand fixation on sex stuff.

Sure, it's very intimate and important but also takes up a small fraction of our time.

Meanwhile, most of my students are missing half their teeth by age 30ish or younger due to lovely commodity food diets and poor access to dental care. Just to name one example.

edit: I'm not saying sexual issues are unimportant, just that many churches put an incredibly disproportionate emphasis on them over other more immediate concerns.
When I read things from the Fathers, they almost never care about this. Why the change? Maybe it was so the laity could feel involved in the 19th century? Maybe for secular reasons relating to the development of the 19th century state, I know that the concept of "the homosexual" developed around this time as something opposed to the traditional gender roles which were supposed to uphold the state.

In any case, it reads as extremely 19th century to me.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
some of it is the medicalization of homosexuality, yeah: it repudiated the incoherence of the “sodomite,” which was the only figure in whom homosexual behavior was publicly legible in the west prior to medicalization. but this legibility was severely limited, because even people who regularly had same-sex liaisons didn’t gloss themselves as sodomites: alan bray wrote a v good book about this (Homosexuality in Renaissance England). this was a larger part of the development of civil society and the decoupling of public affairs from direct legislation by the church, which culminated in the massive catholic identity crisis that arose with the loss of the papal states to italian unification and wasn’t even mostly resolved until vatican 2

Tias
May 25, 2008

So hallow's eve is coming up, do you liturgigoons do anything cool for that?

We're setting up the harvest blót, appeasing the hungry dead who have an easier time popping in at this time so they don't plague the year to come :black101:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dead danes do seem spooky.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The dead are dead, you are merely summoning demons :gonk:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

HEY GAIL posted:

When I read things from the Fathers, they almost never care about this. Why the change? Maybe it was so the laity could feel involved in the 19th century? Maybe for secular reasons relating to the development of the 19th century state, I know that the concept of "the homosexual" developed around this time as something opposed to the traditional gender roles which were supposed to uphold the state.

In any case, it reads as extremely 19th century to me.

Didn't Henry VIII (British version) have a real thing against homosexuality and used it as an excuse to close more monasteries?

Though I do agree that a lot of the obsession with sex comes out of the same place that the "blood purity" cults of the 19th century come from, this fear of an encroaching "other" and the uncleaness associated with getting your gently caress on.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Tias posted:

So hallow's eve is coming up, do you liturgigoons do anything cool for that?

We're setting up the harvest blót, appeasing the hungry dead who have an easier time popping in at this time so they don't plague the year to come :black101:

it used to be traditional to hold a vigil for all saints on october 31st; people would read from the lives of the saints, pray compline and matins, and then go visit the local graveyard to decorate the graves of their loved ones. they might also make a point of visiting and venerating local relics or local places of particular significance to a saint.

the really good poo poo comes in the following two days: hallowmas gives us the liturgy of all saints and, in the anglophone world, some absolutely baller hymnody. i'm pretty sure any anglophone church that doesn't celebrate hallowmas with Vaughan Williams's "For All the Saints" is doing it wrong.

then of course comes all souls' day, the day of prayer for the dead. it's traditional to hold a requiem mass on that day, and if you can find a really traditional one with black vestments, it owns pretty hard. gimme that good Dies Irae poo poo and a homily about the dread of the final judgment and the need for fasting and repentance and i'll be happy as a clam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceciltron posted:

The dead are dead, you are merely summoning demons :gonk:

hey man there are beings who because of their bad karma are reborn as ghosts who feel terrible hunger and thirst which they can’t sate, which means they’re in constant pain and misery. helping them helps you accrue positive karma. so you know whatev

• Locked thread