Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

I see funny cash and immediately think Company scrip
the dude's making fun of a left winger because the real cool rad poo poo is being right wing, i would bet it's about welfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

HEY GAL posted:

the dude's making fun of a left winger because the real cool rad poo poo is being right wing, i would bet it's about welfare

It's Chesterton. He hated Usury.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That poem is especially disingenuous given that Chesterton constantly gave Oscar Wilde poo poo for being a fun-loving pessimist.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Worthleast posted:

It's Chesterton. He hated Usury.
haha, :yikes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._K._Chesterton#Charges_of_anti-Semitism

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

it did mention putting someone in an oven

maybe it was a game of thrones reference

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

syscall girl posted:

it did mention putting someone in an oven

maybe it was a game of thrones reference

inb4 ezra pound reference

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Just realised that one guy in my choir has been a member for 75 years, holy crap

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

An old white Christian British man an antisemite? My monocle just broke in shock

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chesterton's kind of funny to me because despite having your average Victorian racism he was pretty anti-imperialistic since if it's OK for Englishmen to be hardcore nationalists why can't the Egyptians or Nicaraguans?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tias posted:

This is, essentially, why organized christianity isn't for me. Not content to accept my father in the sky as the only godlike intelligence, I also cannot place him above( or below) mother earth. Both things must be, and be equal, for the universe to be in harmony.

the first problem here is the assertion that you can give God a defined, logical form with your human abilities. this is not an accurate description of Christian thought. the second problem is that you say God has a ding-dong. eww, gross, don't do that

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the first problem here is the assertion that you can give God a defined, logical form with your human abilities. this is not an accurate description of Christian thought. the second problem is that you say God has a ding-dong. eww, gross, don't do that

I don't think I assert that. I've learned from the body of lore in my particular tradition that these are some of the aspects the father has, not them all or that they are particularly well defined.

Well, if you think that's gross, I hope you never learn the symbology of sweat lodges :iamafag:

it's a huge uterus, being fertilized by burning rock and there's an altar straight up representing the placenta outside

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jesus is recorded as having a dong in his time on earth, and given that he ascended bodily into heaven I'd expect it's still attached. Jesus=God within the whole trinity thing, therefore God has a ding dong.

qed :engleft:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Two cool things before I go to bed:

All the various vestments of the Pope before the Council (he didn't wear them all at once tho)

https://vimeo.com/183328027 (can you even embed vimeo videos?)

Some bored public officials in Germany created a 3D image of Luther from his death mask. That smirk at the end :laffo:

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

Chesterton's pretty solidly against right wing economics, all through his life. Hilariously this seems to slip the attention of all the reactionary Catholics who idolise him nowadays. Not to say he's not a smug oval office with a lot of downright horrible views.

Honestly, and I don't mean this in any way as an anti-Catholic statement, but he becomes a whole lot worse of a writer and a person after he swims the Tiber. There's this really unfortunate tendency for right wing English people to find in the Catholic Church only what they looked for. Possibly similar to those reactionary converts to Orthodoxy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tias posted:

I don't think I assert that. I've learned from the body of lore in my particular tradition that these are some of the aspects the father has, not them all or that they are particularly well defined.

im usually only half-serious posting :ssh:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can I suggest an amplification to the OP?

You don't have to be a Christian. You do have to be polite.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I suggest an amplification to the OP?

You don't have to be a Christian. You do have to be polite.

that's the "be a cool guy don't be an unchool guy" clause

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What if you're too coolastic for scholastics?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HEY GAL posted:

that's the "be a cool guy don't be an unchool guy" clause

I'd be happier if it were a bit more specific, given the number of SA threads whose definition of "cool" might not be the same as this subcommunity's.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm sick and my brain no work good for talking right now.

So here is my favorite song about syncretism. Also the only song I know about syncretism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdfht6D2y7U

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'd be happier if it were a bit more specific, given the number of SA threads whose definition of "cool" might not be the same as this subcommunity's.

I only follow God's rules

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

thread rules:

1) don't be an rear end in a top hat
2) also let's not talk abortion or call each other heretics
3) non-Christians, ex-Christians and liturgi-curious goons are totally welcome, seriously :justpost: we're not looking to convert you, this is mostly Christianity shitposting, theology, and silly hats/vestments.

e: I am upset that the thread title is now spelled correctly. It does not reflect our fundamentally sinful reality. SIN BOLDLY MU'FUCKAS.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 22, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

2) also let's not talk abortion or call each other heretics

Schism.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

You ἀκέφαλος !

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

if ur so mad mayb u should start another thread punk

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

if ur so mad mayb u should start another thread punk

I very well might. With blue carpets instead of salmon, and getting the after-service donuts from Dunkin Donuts, not the grocery store. Not that I'd ever expect an outmoded traditionalist like you to understand.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I like Pellisworth's list a lot. I do think an explicit "Don't talk about the war abortion" is important.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I like Pellisworth's list a lot. I do think an explicit "Don't talk about the war abortion" is important.

If someone asks why a certain denomination views abortions in a particular way, there's no reason not to answer. I think we even had a civilised abortion-related discussion in the previous thread, too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's really really easy for that in particular to blow up into people getting really angry so we tend to avoid it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"What is the official position of church x on abortion?" is a fine question if someone is genuinely curious.

"Here's why church x's position is dumb and bad," is going to go to poo poo real fast.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we probably have many different opinions (like, i know for a fact zonohedron and i do because i read her posts on the topic), and unlike our opinions on a whole bunch of other stuff, we will probably get emotional about them if it comes to an argument and say things we'll regret

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

It does not reflect our fundamentally sinful reality.
our true nature is to be good and we are only bad out of ignorance (maybe Crow couldn't spell) and because we are misdirected by the passions (maybe his fingers slipped because he was typing too fast). you too can get in touch with your true nature, with God's help (a mod fixed it)

:angel:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I still like Godwinopoulos's Law, from r/OrthodoxChristianity:

quote:

Defintion: During an internet Orthodox argument, the first person to suggest that another go to confession automatically loses. It will also get your comment removed.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

We may have different opinions on things, but one constant remains: the love of cool religious hats

e: that picture's wrong on one account though: members of orders who have a white habit can wear a matching zucchetto too, I'm pretty sure

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

System Metternich posted:

We may have different opinions on things, but one constant remains: the love of cool religious hats

Evangelicals don't wear religious hats. Checkmate, liturgical.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Evangelicals don't wear religious hats. Checkmate, liturgical.
(tips over the board)

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
So would Eastern Orthodox recognize the baptism of a protestant? If they're wrong about its legitimacy, and the baptism was legitimate (say, through the holy spirit) would a second baptism have some negative consequences?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I know Catholics accept Protestant baptism as long as it's Trinitarian (ie in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, not just in the name of Jesus), and if there's dispute of whether or not it counted they get a conditional baptism.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Orthodox Wiki posted:

The Orthodox Church makes no judgment concerning the efficacy or validity of baptisms performed by other denominations, as regards people who are members of those respective denominations. The precise status and significance of such baptisms has not been revealed by God to the Orthodox Church; however, as a practical matter, they are treated as non-efficacious unless and until the person joins the Orthodox Church. Persons coming to Orthodoxy from other denominations, and who had been baptized with water in the name of the Trinity, are generally not received by holy baptism, but instead through holy chrismation, after which their former baptism is deemed to be efficacious. The final decision as to the mode of reception to be used in each case rests with the bishop. When there is doubt as to whether or how the person was previously baptized, a conditional baptism is employed, in which the officiant says something of the form of "if you are not yet baptized, I baptize you..." The need for conditional baptisms is motivated not only by factual uncertainties regarding the original baptism, but also by the uncertainty of some of the baptismal theology regarding the precise conditions for the validity of baptism. (The Church holds that one cannot be certain that opinions which are offered by pious theologians, but on which the Church has not made an authoritative pronouncement, are correct, and even authoritative pronouncements can have multiple interpretations which the Church has neither definitively endorsed or rejected.)

Certain types of non-Orthodox (i.e. heretics, in the language of the Church Fathers) are received into the Orthodox Church through baptism; others through chrismation, and others through profession of faith. These provisions are spelled out in the canons of two of the Ecumenical Councils regarding the reception of heretics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
our official position on a thing is almost always literally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Locked thread