Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jesus is recorded as having a dong in his time on earth, and given that he ascended bodily into heaven I'd expect it's still attached. Jesus=God within the whole trinity thing, therefore God has a ding dong.

qed :engleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

"What is the official position of church x on abortion?" is a fine question if someone is genuinely curious.

"Here's why church x's position is dumb and bad," is going to go to poo poo real fast.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

thanks for giving me a good idea on a new research topic; buddhist and christian peasant revolts, the ways in which religious ideology influences revolutionary action. i'll work on that after i write my essay comparing and contrasting the life and work of ignacio ellacuria and takagi kenmyo

Keep me posted if/when you do this, it is extremely my jam.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Baudolino posted:

For a long time i tougth of the holy spirit as a pretty straigthforward metaphor for the good social vibes in a congregation worshipping together,no more, no less. But thats clearly heresy. So the next question is, should we think of the holy spirit as a entity with will, or more like a force of nature we can call upon trough prayer etc?

Is deffo a "person" within the trinity, though how exactly that works is *mysterious*, and the Bible by itself doesn't go into a lot of detail.

The Chinese translation along the line of "Holy Spirit Wind" made it sound very impersonal, which helped Taiping doctrine regarding the Holy Spirit get very weird/blasphemous.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

praying to saint jude doesn't mean you've given up, it means you believe things are difficult and suck right now.

Who is the patron saint of "everything's going great right now, let's keep it up"?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

System Metternich posted:

I wish my church did bowling nights

e: actually playing pool would be even better, I haven't played in ages

There should be Mario Kart after mass.

It is easier to evade the blue shell than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

"Is Jesus A Twink" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

otter, why is this even a question

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

well i prayed to god for things to go well with this English guy i am seeing and now we agreed that we'll get married to get me out of the US so i am engaged now

it was me, i did this

Congratulations!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

gently caress, i've heard someone say nobody should be having sex, married people included

Please tell me the Cathars are making a comeback

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You don't ask saints to help you, you ask them to put in a good word for you with God who is the only one who can help you.

Praying to Mary is super effective because the nice young Jewish man who lived at home until he was thirty isn't going to say no to his mother.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Keep Christianity Weird

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

We named our newest babby after a pagan goddess, that's probably breaking a rule somewhere.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

The Council of Nicea did not pick the books of the Bible

The Council of Nicea did not pick the books of the Bible

how is bible formed

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I mean, transhumanism is the idea that humanity's form and subjection to suffering are wrong and can be corrected. That clearly doesn't encompass every way of thinking about trans* issues, and obviously it'd be insensitive to act like the other ways don't exist, but is it offensive just to acknowledge the overlap?

Theoretically maybe somebody could pull that off, but no way the sort of dudes that identify as transhumanist have the social awareness to do it.

You know how the Pharaohs had two crowns to symbolize upper and lower Egypt? Transhumanist seminarians should get two fedoras.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

i'm a Christian from the second century and what is this

e: I should add that one of the popular objections to early Christians (besides y'all weird incestuous cannibals having orgies I bet) was that if God was really on your side, Domitian wouldn't be murdering you by the hundreds.

Much later Christians would dust off the same exact argument to convince the Aztecs that their gods were fake and/or lame.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

pidan posted:

Ohhh gently caress this. I really don't plan on getting married in the church, so this really makes me doubt my participation. Dear gay Catholics I think I get it now...

E: I mean, thank you very much for this info The Phlegmatist, it's just that I really don't like the content.

Most cradle Catholics don't really sweat this kind of stuff, if they even know about it. No one ever hassled me about getting married in Vegas.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get married in the Church but not in a church? Idk someone correct me if I'm wrong

I guess? I was told in Catholic school that you can get married at sea by the captain if you aren't going to be making landfall to get married by a priest any time soon. :shrug:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I was thinking The African Queen

technically the Catholic understanding of marriage is that it's performed by the couple, not the priest, but legally it should be done in public with a proper ceremony

Yeah, it's like how anyone can baptize without a priest but it should only be done that way in an emergency.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: as a thought experiment, let's say someone comes into the classroom where Father Joe is teaching some eighth graders about confirmation. "Father Joe, there's been an emergency at Mass, come help!" And Father Joe comes into the sanctuary where Father Duc lies dead slumped over the altar. The ciborium and chalice are there. Father Joe doesn't speak Vietnamese, and can't ask any of the parishioners to ascertain how far Father Duc was into the consecration. Does he consecrate again?

A moment later, a mouse runs away with the host.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

But how are their hats??

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

While we're all arguing, can we settle the filioque issue? Also is the Immaculate Conception real, and are good works are necessary for salvation? I reckon Jesus had two natures, but both of them were an indistinguishable mixture of divine and human.

A nature is a nature, you can't say it's only half.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So the Imp Zone just had a run in with scripture

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804982#post468228938

The Phlegmatist posted:

bombardier beetles (who will squirt burning hot caustic crap all over you) and fig wasps (which caused Aristotle to be like "this is a fruit that spontaneously produces wasps that's scary"), the predatory cone snails that can kill you with insulin (conus geographus), the pistol shrimp that kills its prey with the sound of its snap (which, very briefly, causes a cavitation bubble almost as hot as the surface of the sun) and whatever the heck is up with kangaroo balls

I guess it's just a different viewpoint, because I think all of this is awesome, not accidental.

Something can be both awesome and accidental, like my daughter.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

might want to crosspost it to the japanese expats thread

I see kanji and my brain just goes "nope."

I'm learning Chinese so the kanji is the only part I can work with. :v:

Looks like maybe something about secrets of scriptural divination that have been sealed for 2000 years and finally revealed in this shocking book. Nothing that seems to refer to China. :shrug:

Hopefully we can find some Japan goon to solve this one for us.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just sit alone on top of a pillar in the desert and if God wants you to eat He'll send tasty locusts.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Scrree posted:

sweater candy

I know it's just a typo but as soon as my wife comes home I'm gonna try saying, "C'mon girl, lemme have some of that sweater candy." :wiggle:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Devil Healer$

the $ is critical here

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

I've been reading A Confederacy of Dunces and it's kinda freaky how on-the-nose it is about people who post about Catholicism online. The main character is a 30 year old unemployed loser living with his mom who uses his extensive knowledge of Thomas Aquinas to cast moral judgment upon everyone he meets while ignoring the moral degeneracy in his own life. Oh, and of course he really hates the dreaded modernist pop culture and wishes everything would just go back to the 13th century. This poo poo's like r/Catholicism: The Book, I love it.

So bummed that none of the attempts at a movie adaptation ever got off the ground.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

i believe that is p-mack

Nah, I know a bunch about 19th century religious rebellions, but not a whole lot about the actual beliefs themselves outside of that context.

I'm mostly familiar with yin yang theory being used to justify awful misogyny.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

comparing falun gong to wahabbism is kinda hosed, considering one is a religious group persecuted in its country of origin and the other funds terrorism

Yeah, but in the spirit of charity I think what they were going for is that neither accurately represents the mainstream (whatever that means :can: ) of those belief systems.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

But would Jesus die for a grain of sand that contained a tiny universe full of life, and human beings? I would argue yes.

There is one true God, The creator of our universe. Jesus isn't him, but God created Jesus, then Jesus created us, is what I believe.

So Jesus is our dad, and God is our grandfather, so to speak.

And you can continue down the chain. If I terraformed a planet and installed life and shepparded the life I created, I would be their 'Jesus'. So to speak (but I wouldn't use that name because I'm not a copycat)

Because Jesus lives inside our universe, not outside of it.

Is that Christianity?

I don't think its compatible with the Nicene Creed, which is a pretty common Christianity litmus test. I'll let the thread experts figure out which 1800 year old heresy you just resurrected here.

Its fine by me if you want to identify as Christian, though, I'll take weird ideas on the nature of the Trinity over prosperity gospel any day.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Why is there a japanese dude in there, he doesn't strike me as orthodox.

He converted, may have been introduced to Orthodoxy by Russian exiles in Harbin.

Japan does have its own small Orthodox church.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Private businesses get restricted because we don't live in the perfectly spherical libertarian world, but one with a very specific history of what happened when we didn't have those kinds of rules.

Like to analogize there's no reason being wrong about history in general should be criminal, but Germany has laws saying you can't deny the Holocaust because their past requires making that an exception.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It also leads to a situation where the cake shop that does sell the cake gets boycotted by bigots in favor of the one that doesn't. Plenty of Southern lunch counter owners would have gladly served black customers and taken their money, but it would have cost them their white clientele. Coercion comes in other flavors than governmental, and leaving the decision to individuals doesn't necessarily mean making that decision a freer one.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. Remember that anti-miscegenation laws were found unconstitutional in the US only fifty years ago.

While it was long unenforceable due to Loving , Alabama's constitutional prohibition of interracial marriage wasn't removed until 2000.

In a referendum opposed by 41% of voters.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my dad posted:

What is a circle jerk?

a bunch of dudes get together and accomplish nothing of substance while making themselves feel good

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

actually guy orgasms have a lot of substance, haven't you seen that amazon review for giant boxes of kleenex

You know in cartoons where a guy has no money and when he opens his wallet there's a puff of dust and then a fly starts buzzing around? Yeah.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like the case where a town sued a plague of locusts, and the public defender got them off on the grounds that God had explicitly commanded them to be fruitful and multiply.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

this is what their art looks like.

edit: The exception is Pound, which I regret quite a bit.

Jesus says to love your brother as yourself >> the Crusades

A frog pees with his pants around his ankles >> whatever the hell is going on now

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

>tells priest his ideas
>"your ideas suck, you fascist weirdo"
>"gently caress him"
>posts on the internet about how authoritarianism is the only way and you have to obey your superiors in all things

Hmm, why would the weird cryptofascist want to avoid my church where the Nigerian priest preaches to the congregation of Filipino and Hispanic immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

so for me it's important to ask WHY that saint killed people rather than to say killing people is not saintlike. joan of arc led her people against an invading army (i don't know poo poo about the hundred years war because i am not a nerd so if i am wrong please correct me but my impression is that after the normans invaded and settled in england the english crossed the channel to do a war for a hundred years)

Regardless of who was rightfully king of France, the English tactics by that point of the Hundred Year's War involved lots of gratuitous murder and harassment of innocent peasants even by contemporary standards, so good for Joan I say.

• Locked thread