Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I miss the old OP.

huber was right

e: The thread tag is funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

You ἀκέφαλος !

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

And co-producing My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Also, something I thought the thread would like:
https://twitter.com/CarolineWazer/status/783346974217084929

She has good reach.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I watched one of those Jew for Jesus televangelists on TV while getting my first filling. 25 years without a cavity and here comes a bearded guy from Michigan in a yarmulke talking about the merits of Jesus Christ. Maybe I *should* floss more.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My dad is an ELCA pastor I grew up in it :whatup:

One of the basic differences is that the Missouri and Wisconsin Synod denominations are much more conservative/reactionary. They follow a lot more the modern "literal" interpretations of the Bible. They deny women full equal membership and authority within the church. They base a lot of their exclusionary practices upon the "fact" that, for example, the Book of Concord doesn't say anything about gays, ergo, we can demonize gays all we want.

This is good stuff! :thumbsup:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm a misogynistic firebrand confessional Lutheran, AMA

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

You guys are barely even Protestant.

Honestly this right here would be a compliment to a confessional Lutheran.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Did not know Kirby was a Catholic

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Maybe it was different for other Midwesterners (Lutha Mahtin, Worthleast, Jedi Knight Luigi, others?) but I never felt religion was remotely a social dividing line. I mean, Catholics were sort of their own thing but it wasn't significant.

Yeah this is accurate for Wisconsin. I was friends with a Catholic family and thought it was weird that they could take communion from 5th grade on, but something like that isn't gonna keep us from playing mario golf together or whatever.

Probably half the last names in a given Lutheran congregation in southeastern Wisconsin start with Sch (including my own). We're basically all Prussians who came over in the 1870s.

E: I went to Lutheran boarding school for high school (also located in southern WI) and we literally had both a Bitter and a Sauer in our class.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 8, 2016

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Christianity Thread II: Matt. 6:26

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

my dad posted:

The issue here is that the neighbors are going to start showing up with burning crosses at some people's lawns.

I suppose if that were to happen to you, you would "turn the other cheek"?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Caufman posted:

Martyrdom is a legitimate and possible conclusion to any believer's mortal life.

It is perfectly okay to wish for the cup to pass over you; it is appropriate to ask God to deliver you from evil. Uncounted numbers of people decide to follow a path of righteousness that leads them into harm's way. My prayers are with these people, especially when I'm not standing next to them as they catch hell.

I don't disagree, but are you basically advocating for a Christianized Weather Underground?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

Clinton would have won if her or her team actually engaged in dialogue with the fractured Christian Right. I've never seen so many evangelical pastoral leaders denounce a Republican candidate before, but the evangelical voters all turned out in record numbers to vote for Trump anyway.

QFT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

all this morning, i can't stop thinking of the old groaner "God sure does have a sense of humor". a couple of the times after thinking this, i have even chuckled a little

i am on the skeptical side when it comes to the mystical power of prayer, and i still don't know how to even begin to articulate what i mean when i say that i believe in "God" or "a higher power". but i just said a genuine prayer right now for God to be with donald j trump, and to be with everyone in america. i pray that God be with everyone who is sad or scared. i pray that God be with everyone who is triumphant and feels the power of victory. and i especially pray that God be with those who feel that the anxiety or hate in their heart has now been validated.

now on that last sentence, when i wrote it i was thinking about flaming crosses and mosques doused in pig blood. but after i typed it out, i realize it applies to me too. this election has in some ways grown the anxiety and fear in my heart about how many of my brothers and sisters in this country cling to prejudiced and hateful views of people based on things like gender, color, and religion. but if i grasp ever tighter to these fears of mine, i will probably just perpetuate this cycle of paranoia and anger. division will not heal division

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

I don't mean to pick on you Lutha but c'mon. This is the posting equivalent of an "I Voted" sticker.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Not in my experience. The Christian Right is generally Right first, Christian second.

They were never going to vote for Hillary, they just needed to invent the proper justifications for voting Trump.

Clinton would have won if more Democrats had simply shown up. Turnout was the lowest since 2000. Those that stayed home effectively elected Trump.

Actually yes, I think I should re-qualify my "QFT" reaction: were Bernie's economic populism on the ticket instead of HRC's cronyism with the 'godless' east coast (which apparently in the end earned her nothing), Midwesterners, even if they were Christian in name only, would've been able to look past Bernie's pro-choice stances etc.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

And my point is that no, they wouldn't. They'd just invent different reasons for hating Bernie.

Because of Zionism? Give me a break.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Because he's a Democrat. Remember they're right first, christian second. The latter is the servant of the former.

Their hatemongering doesn't have to based on anything true or meaningful. Don't be naive.

/end political chat

He was actually an independent but yeah okay, you're right.

/bbcode saying i have the last word

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Guys, there are topics we've historically avoided in this thread to avoid unresolvable antagonism. I think election analysis, as opposed to election grieving/joy, maybe doesn't belong in this thread? Although maybe this thread is all left-wing voters, I don't know?

Listen, Donald J. Trump is now 45th President of the United States. I think some longsuffering is in our future (I voted DFL the whole way down).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Longsuffering totally is, and I am in despair today. I was more thinking of "The Democrats would have won if X", which is not a religious topic. But I'll abide by the consensus of the thread.

Totally. I think if X is related to Christianity or electorate groups that subscribe to Christianity then it's valid for discussion in this thread.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i did, i was sitting in an actual locked room (pooping :v:) when the feeling came over me to pray. as i sat there i had a thought about how feelings of anger and self-righteousness are not going to change the election, and they aren't going to get many people to treat their political "opponents" more nicely. im just trying to share my confused feelings with some people who often have good insights, ok :shobon:

Agreed on all counts. Sorry for jumpin the gun on you. As socially moderate as other posters think I am, I'm frustrated as hell too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dude, are you quoting the Bible? Get the hell outta here.

big Dietrich Bonhoeffer fan here as well

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Could I ask your prayers, for tam-nonlinear? She committed suicide yesterday in despair over the upcoming loss of her health care. (The details are from Elizabeth Bear -- matociquala -- Twitter.) http://tam-nonlinear.tumblr.com/

Saddened that the gospel didn't reach this individual.

twerking on the railroad posted:

Yo Christian goons. I can't believe I had to do it but somebody claimed that Trump was somehow a Christian choice and I had say something. Please seek these people out, because even if big name evangelicals came out against Trump there are still some people who think that God is just behind anyone with an (R) after their name. Please point out... literally almost anything that Jesus is recorded as saying. It's one thing to talk about a guy like Romney or Bush not really getting the message of the Gospels. It's quite another to pick fights with the Pope and be in more-or-less open defiance of the book you can find in just about every house in America.

Now of course there are lots of people who feel the ends justify the means on abortion - don't give anyone the satisfaction of saying the word, just play this for them and point out that Trump might not be such a great friend: https://my.mixtape.moe/qwdohl.webm

I think that we as Christians have dropped the ball on this one. Any possible association of Trump with Jesus needed to be shot down, and maybe I personally didn't just because I didn't think anyone seriously believed it. Or maybe I didn't feel like I was a good enough Christian to go seeking out that conversation. Well they do and that needs to be fixed. And you don't need to be a good Christian or even a Christian at all to go to the Jesus wikiquote page.

I do it literally every single day. Just this afternoon I went on a tirade against my own brother, my only sibling, after he reposted a racist video from Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. 24 years ago my father, a Lutheran pastor, named him Christian, and I said the following towards the end of the discussion: "seriously this stuff is garbage and antithetical to your given first name. Jesus Christ."

And I'm not sorry about it at all. I love taking right-wing CINOs' faith to task. Gives me kind of an Elijah feeling, mocking their appeals to the free market, as if somehow those policies would ever hope to parallel what charity alone will never cover.

I'm very often alone in doing so. Other left-minded friends of mine (pretty much exclusively atheists or agnostics) either unfriend those types of people or stay silent out of fear or "tolerance". My coworker today wanted to deactivate Facebook to get away from it all but ended up not doing so because it was tied to her Spotify account. Pathetic.

Running away is the furthest thing from my mind. You're probably going to find my phrasing terrible or inexcusable, but I think the silver lining of a trump presidency is that whiny SJWs will finally be forced to stand up for themselves and acknowledge that there are very real colorblind "economic anxieties" that have nothing to do with your swim-suit zone or your skin tone's melanin count. They need to help me get those CINOs to realize what "whatever you do for the least of my brothers you do for me" really means on a group, macro level. They need to be reminded that if they really believe the whole Bible is inerrant, how to reconcile James chapter 5 with their worldview. It's high time to be strong as hell while also being as kind as Christ.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Christianity Thread II: I have a Horatius Bonar right now

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

The procedural t-shirt generation algorithm strikes gold:

http://www.idakoos.com/calvinist-by-choice,929927

I'll take 10.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was named after a character in the hebrew scriptures :lol: but i will look into what saints there are for computermans and direct support staffs

So was I. For being a gentile I actually sound pretty Jewish. It's something my boss and I connect on sometimes, she has a Hebrew first name and Polish last name. 100% gentile.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

This is exactly what Jesus tells us to do! :)

:yeah:

Srsly that's pretty cool.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

in less :smug: news i went to an episcopal service last sunday. i plan to poast more later but its highly more relevant to share this dumb photo i took of United States Interstate 94 a week or 2 back:

um ok so it's an american highway wasteland, great. but....

uhhhhh so there's a billboard. congrats. except

oh hi

Friend of mine went to this and can confirm there were plenty of woodcuts of anti-pope/tit-devil stuff.

Saw this on facebook today:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

After reading this thread, I now slightly regret not playing through FFXIV: Heavansward looking like catboy Martin Luther

This fuckin post...

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I thought everyone hates Prussians.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

Well, Kung's been barred from teaching since the 60s so he's not really in good standing.

This had little to do with reconciliation of Lutheran and Catholic theology regarding the doctrine of justification and more to do with the fact that Kung denied papal infallibility. Kung's got some big balls attacking both Karl Barth and the fuckin' pope.

So I just spent the last 15 minutes reading through Karl Barth's Wikipedia page and he seems like a confessor after my own heart, especially given my upbringing.

To frame what the people from my upbringing would have thought (and probably still do think) about Karl Barth, check this poo poo out:
http://ichabodthegloryhasdeparted.blogspot.com/2014/03/classic-ichabod-karl-barths-uoj-smells.html

quote:

Here ve haff da luffly Barth family, Karl mit Charlotte, und Kinder, und Frau Barth way over on da outside right. Das machen me schniffle ein bischen. Zo touching und varm. Der kleine Hans hat two mommies - eine Hausfrau und eine va-va-voom Commie. [Translated into German to keep the caption G-rated.]"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

What kind of horrifying strain of Lutheranism thinks WELS is too liberal? Sheesh.

I don't know but it's producing some quality photoshops. But they only make sense if you come from those circles.

"Buchie" is short for Buchwald, a district president in the WELS. Ecclesiastical equivalent to a Roman archbishop I guess you could say.

The blog is kind of an alt-right haven for ex-pats of the various Lutheran synods in America. It's a lot of hate and sour grapes peppered with real concerns about universal objective justification (UOJ)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

it's always good to see the proud tradition of Lutheran shitposting continues (referring to the blog and not your post)

Are there seriously groups within American Lutheranism who dispute the idea that Jesus' death on the cross provided justification for all humans (who only need to accept it through faith)? Because for me that seems to dive way deep into the rabbit hole of Calvinism, but I dunno.

I don't mean that question as a jab against JKL or anyone else, again this is a thread about learning from viewpoints different than yours and posting silly hats. Justification by faith alone seems to tread into Arminianism where your personal choice plays a role in salvation.

e: I guess my understanding of Lutheran theology is that justification is offered to all people as a result of Jesus' sacrifice and God's grace, all you have to do is accept that gift via faith.

They posit further that one "cannot by my own thinking or choosing believe in Jesus Christ" so I guess if anything they veer more towards Calvinism. They would much rather say the Holy Spirit works faith in you after you hear the Word than say you accepted the Holy Spirit in any sense.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This thread is a sin.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
http://www.hbo.com/the-young-pope

Very excited for this to come out. I work in the entertainment industry and am privy to some of the scripts. There will be hard-hitting topics in this show.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

nobody will persuade me that Jude loving Law in dark makeup is an italian

edit: countfosco, you are aware that someone can be imperfect or villainous without being satanic, right?

I believe his character is actually supposed to be American.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Brown makeup died with the 90s. It's a new millennium!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bel_Canto posted:

Can we institute a worldwide ban on decontextualized Bible citations? I've seen several pop up on my Facebook feed over the past week, and it seems to me to be the height of insufferable, insular Christian virtue signaling. it's entirely legitimate to want to share a passage of scripture that's touched you, but holy poo poo at least do your audience the courtesy of writing it out rather than making them do the work of looking it up. It's like the Christian version of posting sad song lyrics after your breakup.

http://babylonbee.com/news/local-family-inadvertently-prints-imprecatory-psalm-christmas-cards/

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lmfao this is so true it hurts

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
This thread is tiring.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey all, sorry to interrupt the board game chat or whatever but I'm facing excommunication from my church and could use some advice.

I'm planning to marry a woman who's been divorced for a year and a half. The reason for the divorce was initially on account of the wife's infidelity (coincidentally with yours truly), and she and her ex-husband attempted to reconcile afterward. It became clear that there were deep issues with their marriage whereby the ex-husband was withholding sex without mutual consent (cf Paul's epistles) and his continual refusal to address the problem before the infidelity was found out.

When they began the couple's therapy after the revelation of the infidelity, it became even clearer that the ex-husband had no intention of salvaging the relationship and was only going through the motions for his family's sake. Eventually they both agreed to sign divorce papers.

Now, when my pastor found out I was going to marry her so long after the fact, he asked to speak with me concerning Matthew 19:9 and I Corinthians 7:10-11. According to this pastor, because the ex-husband was not at "fault," the divorcee is not "free" to remarry. So if I marry this woman, which we are planning on doing during the first week of May, I'll be excommunicated.

Right now I'm not too worried but if there any bits of ammo I can collect to shoot back at him would be appreciated. Personally I don't understand how a New Testament "law" overrides the message of the Gospel. To boot Jesus also says that we should cut out own hands off--another New Testament "law" that doesn't jive literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Senju Kannon posted:

you're a fuckin adulterer who thinks gay people should be celibate

but that's none of my business

It's funny how you're taking a similar stance toward me as the pastor who actually believes those very same things 100x more intensely than anyone else I know.

See you in hell?

• Locked thread