Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As a Mennonite-Turned-Unfocused-Believer-In-Things-I-Can't-Quite-Define, I rate this thread A++, Would Rescue From Drowning Only To Be Burned At The Stake By It Later Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm sick and my brain no work good for talking right now.

So here is my favorite song about syncretism. Also the only song I know about syncretism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdfht6D2y7U

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A number of Jesus' parables have the broad theme of "the person you'd expect from their station in the world to be the good, righteous heroic person is actually in the wrong, and the person you'd expect to be the lowest of the low is actually the example you should be following".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really have an answer but the question made me want to reread A Canticle for Leibowitz.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The only actual decent answer I've ever heard for exclusively using the KJV (aside from "I just like the language") was in an interview I heard once with the principal of a Christian school, who said they encouraged it at their school because it was a way of easing students into becoming familiar with things like Shakespeare later. In spite of growing up in a very religious house in a small midwest town in the '80s, I managed to dodge most of the worst Evangelical bullets (though I guess by no means all of them). Then again, I was raised Mennonite, which is...well, if you ask most Mennonites if they're Evangelical Protestants, they'd say "naah, we're Anabaptists, totally not the same", but unless you're among the distinct minority who are still in horse-and-buggy territory, there aren't necessarily all that many differences (though I feel like we're more at home to social liberalism than many Protestant(ish) denominations. That could just be my bias, though). The biggest doctrinal distinction these days is probably our pacifism.

The Phlegmatist posted:

So where's the heavy catechetical lifting? It's in the hymnals. Here's the Trinity. and here's atonement theory. Both of these are really popular hymns. I think Wesley wrote one that references the hypostatic union as well but I can't seem to find it. So they're not reciting the Nicene Creed or reading Thomas Aquinas but they're singing hymns written by people who did.

Yeah, this is very true to my experience too. The Mennonite Hymnal could almost have been our second holy book. (Or third, if you count Martyr's Mirror)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Every charity I've ever had any experience with (including some religious ones) has said that the government pulling out of their work would be an absolute disaster.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

And not voting, I think?

Maybe in some of the more isolationist Anabaptist-descended groups (Old Order Mennonites, the Amish, probably the Hutterites though I know almost nothing about them) but I don't feel like this has been a thing in the modern Mennonite church for a while now, certainly not a universal one.

Although a bit of vague reading on the subject did lead me to this pretty awesome quote from a lady in Ohio: "When Mennonites vote, we are not voting for who we support to lead us. We are voting for who we would rather struggle against.".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Maundy Thursday is a very common day of celebration even in Protestant churches. The word "maundy" derives from "mandatum" or the new commandment that Jesus gave his disciples at the Last Supper - that they love one another as he had loved them.

Our church has even had a foot-washing ceremony one year as part of its Maundy Thursday service. That was really awkward for a bunch of uptight white people to wash each others' feet. They didn't do it again.:v:

I've heard the term Maundy Thursday before, but I'm not sure we ever celebrated it formally. We did do foot-washing like twice a year, though I was never clear about whether that was a Mennonite thing or a just-my-church thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The plural is "all y'all".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The thing I grew up hearing (in rural northeast Ohio) that I have never heard since is (and I have no idea how one would spell it) you'ins.

I'm sure it's not something my grandmother invented but I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would suggest making use of a little-known tradition of the Christian faith known as "forgiveness" with your (ex) pastor and getting on with your life.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

More or less the same thing happened to my uncle when he remarried after his wife died. (There was much more involved than that, though no cheating that I'm aware of, and I have no idea if I'd change my mind about whether they were justified if I knew it all.) So, you know, I'm not wholly without sympathy.

I can't help remembering that Jesus's harshest words were for hypocrites (and fig trees for some reason), though I'm not exactly Captain AllowedToThrowStones over here either.

In any case, what I was getting at before is that the more you worry about getting the last word or owning your pastor with citations from the Gospels and your favorite incomprehensible German theologian, the the less happy your life will be. You're not likely to convince him he's wrong and you'll just make yourself miserable trying. That's experience rather than religion, but I've never known it not to be true.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

But really, man, that fig tree had it coming. Jesus just wanted a snack and you gotta be like that?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

the little societies he valorizes terrify me. nobody there talks about how communities like that would deal with someone who was simply different. imagine being on the outside of such a group, and how quickly the sentiment there could turn nasty...

edit: the muenster anabaptists tried to do that, and they went from zero to child prophets, rape, and possible murder very fast

edit 2: human beings can't even manage a furry convention without sliding into dysfunction, what makes him think we can build self sustaining communities from the ground up without getting reeal culty

It was seriously hilarious studying Anapatist history as a Mennonite high schooler (and thus looking at sources written by and for Mennonites). Whenever we got around to Muenster it was all defensive WE'RE NOT ALL CRAZY APOCALYPSE CULTISTS (p.s. Muenster was really hosed up guys) BUT SERIOUSLY WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT AT ALL HEY LET'S TALK ABOUT GEORG BLAUROCK SOME MORE.

But yeah, I get romanticizing things that seem to avoid the excesses you're used to, and there's good and bad in pretty much every way humans organize themselves, but you only have to look at some of the problems that, say, the Amish have had on occasion (I don't have specific anecdotes, but one hears things) to get that, while their way of life more or less works for them, it's not all roses and buggies.

Or, you know, just try growing up in a small rural town and then tell me that tiny insular communities are perfect and blameless and holy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

and big cities are just the same, just imagine a small town squished into a single block. i used to live in a building full of chinese immigrants and everyone on our floor would open their doors and sit in the hallways and chat in the evenings, it was a little town just thirteen stories up. small towns or deliberate communities don't make you any more virtuous, and if anything goes wrong it's harder to get help.

Oh yeah, I've done both and as far as I can tell, the main difference is that big cities have more takeout options.

quote:

and, uh, at least you're pacifists now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahem we were always pacifists always always never mind that one time besides, they were, uh anablerptists, completely different.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've had Blind Guardian's "Control The Divine" stuck in my head all day because of this thread.

It's not a complaint.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately, I am not Catholic and have no desire to be. :v: Honestly, I think the Amish and Mennonites and other such groups are kind on to something. It's not a lifestyle I have any interest in embracing, I'm far too attached to the modern world, but I appreciate that impulse towards staying humble and plain, particularly in regards to church. I've always thought the most beautiful churches are often the simplest, even bordering on stark or brutal in appearance.

Oh hey, the Mennonite Signal* just went off.

I can't really speak for anyone other than the (pretty modern, so no shunning of technology or anything like that) Mennonite church I grew up as part of, which wasn't that different from other Protestant churches, but in my experience, you can't really eliminate aesthetic expression like that, you can just redirect it. (So you can have a plain building but if there's any outlet for decoration, those decorations will be super-elaborate.)

And from what I hear about some of the Amish communities around where I grew up and where friends of mine did, it's even more of an exercise in finding loopholes in The Things We Reject. Mostly it's a question of what the local bishop will allow, as I understand it, and it's not exactly consistent. Mobile phones being allowed, because they didn't involve wires being attached to the home (and sometimes only if they were kept in a location away from the home) was a pretty common thing you heard.

My cousin made pretty good money while he was in high school driving Amish people around, in a van he nicknamed the Yoder Toter.

Anyway, not to make My People out to be a bunch of hypocrites (though of course we are because we're, you know, people), but going back to the thing about aesthetics, I think that Mennonites (and others with more austere traditions) typically see some things as distractions from worship and it's hard for us to embrace the idea that, for others, those things aren't distracting at all. (And I'm sure it goes the other way as well.)

Ultimately, I think there's beauty to be found in simplicity, and also in the elaborate, and beauty in all its forms is a gift from God.

___
It's this entire thing with weather vanes and quilts and...it's kind of hard to explain, honestly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, my mom helped out with cleaning our church while I was growing up, which meant that my sister and I did as well, and trust me, ain't nothing strips away what little mystique a place of worship might otherwise have like cleaning its bathrooms does.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In that vein, check out Martyr's Mirror sometime, especially the woodcut illustrations (which are the source of my avatar).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I grew up with the New International Version but I think the NRSV is a better 'modern' translation.

King James for the beauty of the language.

There are a lot of translations online at places like Bible Gateway, so you can compare and see which you like best.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I watch and enjoy Doctor Who and know waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much about it and yeah, all anyone really needs to know is, well, nothing, but the slightly more than nothing version is that it's a fun family TV show about the adventures of a time-traveling alien space wizard who is going to be portrayed by a wonderful actress next year.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On the subject of Judas (broadly), I'll just say that Andrew Lloyd Webber is someone whose work I find very uneven but that I will defend Jesus Christ Superstar to the death.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The other unforgivable sin is being an out-of-season fig tree.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The whole thing about being a sinner saved by grace is that both things are true.

Don't get all up yourself because of how amazing you are, because you aren't. But don't get all down on yourself about how you are so damned that no one could possibly love you, because also you aren't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Going back to the question of Protestants and ritual, at least the Protestants I've been exposed to (so mostly of the Anabaptist flavor, though I suspect this wouldn't be an alien experience to, say, an American Baptist or a Methodist), eschewing the specific rituals and liturgies of the Catholic and Orthodox faiths isn't turning your back on ritual entirely so much as it is substituting one set of rituals and traditions for another. I think the last time this was brought up, hymns were mentioned, and I absolutely do think that (in the case of the faith I grew up in) the Mennonite Hymnal (as we used to call it in the Before Times, I still think of the version that was introduced twenty-some years ago as the 'new' Hymnal) is functionally our second holy book. Not in the sense that it's divinely inspired scripture, but in the sense that it's an essential part of our worship experience and even our identity as Mennonites.

The superficial trappings change, but I think we all have those things we consider an essential part of worship, and the fact that we have those things is significant, even if the specific things vary widely.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Losing Paul would mean losing First Corinthians 13, which, no.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Btw where/when is the story in your av from?

That's Dirk Willems, an Anabaptist martyr from the Netherlands in the 1500s, probably the most famous one. The scene depicted is of him turning back during an attempted escape from prison while running across a frozen lake to rescue the pursuing guard who'd fallen through the ice. This led to his being recaptured and eventually executed.

The image is from the illustrated version of Martyr's Mirror, which is chock full of heartwarming stories like this one.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Welp, off to conquer Münster, I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Sorry to all Presbyterians, Independants, Quakers &c., but I simply couldn't not post this :v:

https://twitter.com/manymanyplies/status/911939945966784512

According to my girlfriend, I'm an ammonite, so, checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll, uh, just drop this here. (I guess for the first time, I thought I'd posted it before but that was probably another thread.)

It's an open letter from a former Mennonite pastor in his 90s, and the reason he's a former pastor is because he performed a wedding ceremony for his son and another man. He doesn't bear the church any ill will at all that I can see, but he's very clear that he doesn't see the rejection of (in this case) gay people as being compatible with the example set by Christ and by that set by leaders of the early church. It's one of the more inspiring things I've read in some time.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 8, 2017

• Locked thread