Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Post the sweetest Church music you got. Christian Rock is not Church music, for it is neither good Christianity, nor good rock.

Vestments and architecture are a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9yM53TowA

I posted this in the last thread but Armenian chant is baller and I still wanna go to one of their Divine Liturgies with HEY GAL when she's back in the states. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPfE6mHA_s

Also, glad to see lurkers posting, seriously :justpost: as long as it's not abortion or prosperity gospel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

my dad posted:

The list of things Facebook thinks I am, judging by the stuff it regularly suggests to me: gay republican pro-putin atheist mra neo-nazi who wants to kill all muslims

so... Milo Yiannopoulos?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Does this third page of the thread proceed from both the first and second, or only from the first?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'd be happier if it were a bit more specific, given the number of SA threads whose definition of "cool" might not be the same as this subcommunity's.

thread rules:

1) don't be an rear end in a top hat
2) also let's not talk abortion or call each other heretics
3) non-Christians, ex-Christians and liturgi-curious goons are totally welcome, seriously :justpost: we're not looking to convert you, this is mostly Christianity shitposting, theology, and silly hats/vestments.

e: I am upset that the thread title is now spelled correctly. It does not reflect our fundamentally sinful reality. SIN BOLDLY MU'FUCKAS.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 22, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

if ur so mad mayb u should start another thread punk

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dk2m posted:

I'm a non-christian immigrant, but I've lived in America long enough that I want to visit a church just to observe and get a general sense of it all. A few questions:

1) Is there a specific denomination I should visit? I'm from the midwest if that helps.
2) What sort of decorum should I expect? I can just walk into my home religion's temple wearing shorts/t-shirt on any given day and it's no big deal.
3) Anything in particular I should look out for?
4) General advice would be appreciated.

I'm not looking to be converted, but I'm a bit nervous to just walk into a church because I have no idea what to expect. Don't want everyone to stare at the strange brown guy, and don't want to accidentally disrespect anyone.

To follow from Cythereal's post,

I'd suggest visiting any of the big mainstream liturgical denominations. Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, you might have difficulty finding an Orthodox church in the Midwest. Whichever of those have a large, old church in your area.

Probably best not to wear shorts and a t-shirt, they're not gonna kick you out but pants and a button-up shirt is standard. Dress somewhat nicely.

There's not really anything you can do to offend or disrespect, different denominations will have various rules about who can take communion but as a non-Christian you shouldn't. Any church will be very welcoming to visitors, if you want you can contact the priest and ask about visiting, maybe come a few minutes early and chat with the priest or deacons or whomever is available and they'll be happy to tell you about what's going on.

Most services have a broadly similar format and will include:

singing hymns
reading of a few short Bible verses
recitation of Apostle's Creed and Lord's Prayer
communion/eucharist
sermon or homily, usually related to the Bible readings

There is usually coffee and snacks before or after the service, maybe even a full potluck meal. You can come early or stay after and chat with the parishioners or clergy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

:stare: Uh... what exactly is the deal with the "capriote" one...?

The Spanish are very serious about Catholicism

not a KKK thing

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JcDent posted:

I'm kind of jealous of the social/free food aspect of the American churches.

Hmm, is it generally true across Europe that church isn't a big social affair with food and such? I guess that would surprise me.

At least in American Protestantism, church can easily take up half of your Sunday between Sunday School, the actual service, and fellowship (coffee and very often potluck lunch). The potluck wasn't necessarily totally free, sometimes you were asked to chip in a couple bucks but it was a very cheap meal. In fact I can't think of an American church service I've attended that hasn't been followed by lunch, and that includes the few Orthodox Divine Liturgies I went to at HEY GAL's church.

In the rural Midwest where I grew up, church was the major social gathering for most people, since that's about the only time you would see a lot of each other. That and school events, possibly family reunions because more than half your neighbors are your second cousins lol.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

System Metternich posted:

e: Are you saying that the kitchen is indeed part of the church building itself? If so than that may be another American-European difference

Yeah, every American church I've been to has a kitchen and fellowship hall of some sort, typically in the basement or attached to the sanctuary building. I'm sure there are lots with detached buildings too but I can't think of any I've seen.

Could it just be a time period thing, with older European churches being built before coffee hour and potluck luncheons were a common cultural thing?

Also, pray for me goons, I'm going country dancing tonight and am rhythmically challenged. Pray for my date's toes :v:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I've been to a few churches with kitchens and fellowship halls in detached buildings. Seems to be not uncommon when the initial sanctuary building is small or old and then they saved up enough money to add a second building on the church property which usually includes a fellowship hall, kitchen, and Sunday school/office space.

Thinking more about it, seems to me that it would be hard to pull off coffee hour, potluck lunch, and food banking without modern food storage (canning, refrigeration, freezing) and electricity.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

there is a chick in this hostel from Alaska, and it's making me think: does anyone here know how native Alaskans fast? if you live in Alaska and hunt whales, there's not a lot of farming up there. Same for native Siberians I guess.

That's a good question, I do know you're right and the Inuits have an almost entirely animal-based diet so fasting seems like it'd be tough. They also would be dealing with serious vitamin D deficiency since they're getting all their vit D from eating animals (especially seafood) rather than sunlight.

e: also I forget the numbers but there are a ton of Inuits who still eat a largely traditional diet, we're not talking past tense

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

they might not, like some 18th century russian could have looked around at the ice and gone "maybe we just won't tell them that bit"

ed: i think there are also some people who are mongolian-adjacent and Orthodox

I thought the Orthodox line on fasting was more or less "it is a very good thing you should do if you're able to."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I believe holiness is essentially a process by which the individual is formed to be as Christ in the individual way they express that. (Thirteen Orphans will be a Christ peculiar to Thirteen Orphans) Therefore, as we love it makes us better lovers (and better beloved). And I mean love in the sense of self-giving, being gentle, recognizing the dignity of your neighbor and yourself, etc. So as I understand it, loving and being loved makes us love better, and ALL of it is the work of grace in our lives. Yes, as a Catholic I recognize the way we work with grace differently, but the process of sanctification is a process which cannot be done without God's infinite grace and mercy.

Edit: Also when I said it doesn't mean you pray more, I meant one isn't holier JUST BECAUSE they pray more hours in a day because the religious life allows for it. A super holy husband doesn't need to follow a monastic prayer schedule, that's not how he's been called to pray.

this all seems in line with Lutheranism

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I really wish Martin Luther would've had the internet, alternating quality effort-posting on theology and doctrine with hilarious drunken shitposts where he compares papists to donkey farts or whatever.

For what it's worth, Luther is not remotely considered a saint or venerated in Protestant traditions (veneration of anything that isn't the triune God being idolatry in Protestant thinking). He was a good theologian and public speaker, the printing press allowed his shitposting to go viral and eventually schism the Catholic Church.

e: also a raging anti-Semite. That's partly why I'm so interested in him as a historical figure, he was extremely goony with deeply human flaws.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 27, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: Pellisworth, I like your description of much of Luther's writing as shitposting and will steal it.

When I talk about the Protestant Reformation I give a lot of credit to guys like John Wycliffe and Jan Hus, Martin Luther didn't magically champion the Reformation, he was building on previous unsuccessful attempts. IMO it's really the printing press that is the star of the Reformation, you had good theologians across Europe spamming letters and scurrilous broadsheets. There were a lot of legitimate grievances with the Catholic Church and the printing press allowed them to be popularized.

e: among influential figures in Christian history, I can't think of anyone goonier than Martin Luther. He's this thread's spirit animal.

Also should be noted that Luther did not intend to incite a schism with Rome, he wanted to reform the church from within. But politics within the Holy Roman Empire are absurdly complex and Luther's theological contentions quickly developed into a political movement in opposition to the (Catholic) Austrian Hapsburg emperor. One of the main motivating factors for the 30YW was confiscation of church land by Protestant princes in the HRE, if you hopped on board with Lutheranism (or shortly thereafter, Calvinism) you could seize lands belonging to the Catholic Church.

The Protestant Reformation is deeply entangled with German (and other former HRE) politics.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 27, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

does martin luther do intercessory prayer?

no, but every time someone shitposts at a Papist, Martin Luther raises his beer stein and nods his chins approvingly

in Lutheran theology all Christians living and dead are saints and praying for the Christian Church as a whole, it is ok to contemplate and imitate their lives to strengthen our faith but they are not intercessors

e:

Martin Luther posted:

"When I die, I want to be a ghost...So I can continue to pester the bishops, priests and godless monks until that they have more trouble with a dead Luther than they could have had before with a thousand living ones."

oh, buddy, your ghost has certainly stirred up a lot of poo poo that's true

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 28, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
someone needs to show Martin Luther how to set up a Ghost Twitter account

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh lol should i do this

I mean I don't use Twitter but it would be a pretty good gimmick, you just gotta paraphrase Lutheran Insulter quotes into 140 characters :v:

e: For maximum authenticity make sure to use echo parentheses to identify (((globalists))) and (((Papists)))

RIP Martin Luther Twitter account, banned for tweeting at the Pope calling him a "fart-rear end" and the antichrist

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 28, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
God only has three persons that we know of

makes u think

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

can't god just be intersex / transcend gender completely without needing to be two additional people, male and female, to do it?

I mean sure, I don't understand God as having a sex or gender at all, or at least not in our human sense. Jesus' physical body was male but there's really no mention of his sexuality in the New Testament and the traditional Christian understanding is he was celibate until his death. Personally I'm perfectly ok with Jesus portrayed as androgynous, asexual, or agendered because it's not relevant. Clearly it wasn't a big enough thing for him to speak to himself. Although, he did convince Origen to castrate himself:

Matthew 19:3-12 posted:

For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Man Whore posted:

what on earth...

Martin Luther posted:

Since your majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason--I do not accept the authority of popes and councils for they have contradicted each other--my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I shitpost, I cannot do otherwise, God help me. Amen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

I was born with three kidneys, how many binaries does that get me :confused:

Yes but are your three kidneys distinct persons with the same substance and essence? Seems more likely you're poly-renal rather than possessing an excretory trinity.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Eunuchs are so gender binary, Buddhism's all about ubhatovyanjañakas and paṇḍakas. Gotta get quaternary with our genders.

temple cat on ur keyboard?

But seriously tell us more, wasn't sexuality in early Christianity pretty wild too?

Paramemetic posted:

What if each kidney flows into the next? What if two of the kidneys flow into the third kidney!?

This is not how kidneys work, they empty into your bladder (or back into your bloodstream depending on how you're thinking about things) :colbert:
Clearly non-trinitarian. Now, squids have three hearts, one cycling blood through gills on each side of the body and one central heart that connects everything together. Let me tell you about how the Holy Trinity is sort of like the squid circulatory system...

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 28, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This might be a dumb question and I'll take it to the Buddhism thread if we end up going at length, but since I've got a couple of you here:

How do gender and sexuality come into reincarnation/rebirth? If self and soul don't exist and gender and sexuality are strictly aspects of our physical bodies, why should they matter?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

i hope they include his sword, his daily loadout was fukken sick

Are you serious here? I guess I've never heard about him carrying a sword and just assumed since he was a monk and then priest he wouldn't have been packing.

Quick, someone find a Luther quote about how awesome pikes are, HEY GAL might have a crisis of faith

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Catholics have a saying that when a Protestant converts you gain a Catholic but don't lose a Protestant.

I'm so proud of The Phlegmatist, he seems well-prepared to further infiltrate Protestant-think into Catholicism.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

I don't have time to write a coherent reply to everyone's replies to my post just yet, but I do want to say that I really appreciate that everyone's posts were really nice and thoughtful, like I've come to expect from this thread. :unsmith:

to you and any lurkers, seriously :justpost:

This thread is enthusiastically welcoming of any and all viewpoints inside and out of Christianity.

No one here is really out to convert you, this is the internet and we all have our strong opinions.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
hello papists watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Man Whore posted:

and If all else fails, just do what I did for 8 years and never think about your religious identity beyond "I love jesus and jesus loves me, gently caress the haters".

welcome to protestantism

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Hello Christian goons! This is an excellent thread. I am a lapsed Jew, and I have a bunch of questions. I'll start with the simplest.

Regarding the Trinity, "Father" and "Son" is pretty self explanatory, but what is "Holy Spirit" supposed to be, and from whom does it proceed?

You forgot an important part of your question, I've fixed it for you. *thread schisms* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque

The Holy Spirit is pretty hard to explain or understand, which is one of its defining features. It's sort of the more mystical aspect of the Trinity, invisible but often depicted as a dove. The Holy Spirit communicates grace and guides many aspects of Christian life such as interpreting scripture. It's behind-the-scenes God. Christians would say the Spirit dwells in all of us and pushes all of us toward righteousness and God. Someone who seeks a vocation or converts to Christianity would be "called by the Spirit," someone who lives a good Christian life and is a great example to the community is "full of the Spirit."

I like to think of it in terms of the original Hebrew which refers to the "breath" of God. The Holy Spirit is the breath of God and giver of life, invisible but working within all of us.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 6, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
hello I would like to announce the publication of my own new Christianity thread (a return to the original Christianity thread), which will not tolerate papists or other idolatrous heretics but will adhere sincerely to the sola scriptura principles of shitposting

Martin Luther posted:

Gently, dear Pauli, dear donkey, don't dance around! Oh, dearest little rear end, don't dance around - dearest, dearest little donkey, don't do it. For the ice is very solidly frozen this year because there was no wind - you might fall and break a leg. If a fart should escape you while you were falling, the whole world would laugh at you and say, "Ugh, the devil! How the rear end has befouled himself!" And that would be a great crime. Oh, that would be dangerous! So consider your own great danger beforehand, Hellish One.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Martin Luther posted:

I was frightened and thought I was dreaming, it was such a thunderclap, such a great horrid fart did you let go here! You certainly pressed with great might to let out such a thunderous fart - it is a wonder that it did not tear your hole and belly apart!

welp

your writings have certainly earned the descriptor "scatological," good job Marty L

the Lutheran Insulter continues to be amazing http://ergofabulous.org/luther/

SHOUTOUT BIG MARTY L
O.G. TROLL

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my dad served a church for a little while that had a lot of native american parishioners and he would call me on the phone nerding out because he did a service or a wedding with some native stuff mixed in with the more traditional european bits :)

Tias posted:

Tell us about it! :allears:

The church I was baptized in (and spent most of my youth attending) was an Episcopal church with mostly Lakota parishioners. It wasn't really that different, there were a few Native American cultural influences but there's a high degree of syncretism with traditional beliefs. There are a ton of very traditional Lakota who participate in literal blood sacrifice (Sun Dance) that are also Catholic.

Handshakes are a super important gesture of greeting, friendship, and peace in Lakota culture so Passing of the Peace was a big deal. Loose handshakes, you won't offend by being firm but it's a symbol of friendship and not a contest of strength or whatever.

After church potlucks were maybe even more important since communal meals and taking home leftovers (wateca) is hugely important for the Lakota. Everyone went down to the basement for coffee and donuts and then in an hour or so, chipped in a dollar per person for lunch. Fairly often we'd have traditional frybread and wojape which is sort of a berry pudding.

e: wateca is one of the few Lakota words my parents will regularly use. It's a central part of Lakota culture, when you hold an event (dance, powwow, graduation, celebration, whatever) there is always way more food than necessary with the intention everyone takes home leftovers. The strongest gesture of prestige and influence for a tribal leader is to hold generous feasts and events and give a shitload of food to the community in wateca.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 10, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

This owns, never stop nativepostin' <3

When you next hang with your shaman dude, shake his hand loosely but enthusiastically and if there's food make sure there's extra for him to take home, tell him it's wateca (wah-TEH-chah, ch as in church). Giving gifts is the highest honor in Lakota culture, giving people food and other gifts makes you a radder dude. It's a very cool and imo pretty Christian outlook on charity (not to appropriate native culture, just pointing out similarities).

I'm really not any sort of expert on Native American culture, I can only comment as an outsider who attended tribal schools through middle school and have some connections on the rez. If people are seriously interested I can get you in touch with tribal academics and artists but I'd rather do that via PM because it's gonna be very easy to doxx me from that. (HEY GAL can probably expect a small bit of Lakota artwork for Christmas because I know her irl)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As an ELCA, what do I need to know about Missouri and Wisconsin synods of the Lutheran church? A guy was talking at length to me about being Missouri Synod and it seemed almost foreign to me

There used to be a ton of different Lutheran denominations in the US. Many of them united to form the Evangelical* Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), which is the largest Lutheran denomination in the US. It's a big-tent group that is fairly progressive, allowing female ordination and gay marriage for example, but there's a lot of variation and decentralization.

The Missouri and Wisconsin synods are American Lutheran groups that did not join the ELCA, they are more traditional/conservative in doctrine and have a more literal interpretation of scripture.

Some Lutherans will describe themselves as "Confessional" meaning they subscribe more closely to the OG Protestant documents of the Augsburg Confession.

*Evangelical here is used as a translation from the German word describing Lutheranism. Lutherans shouldn't be confused with the American Evangelical movement or being zealous missionaries, because they aren't.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It gets really weird (and sometimes ugly) when the far-liberal Quakers bump up against the Biblical-literalist Quakers. My parents' home Meeting just split off from Indiana's overarching Meeting (whose name I am too lazy to look up) because they chose to become a "welcoming church", which means affirming an anodyne statement that all, including LGBTQ, are welcome. Schisms are hard because of the heartbreak -- on all sides -- of realizing people you've known for years are just Wrong.

When new ideas enter a denomination's thought-stream, the chuch begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four congregations on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the congregation nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line and takes the place of the first congregation. The formerly first one becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth schisms off the cliff.

Protestantism works the same way.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

We're all catholic :viggo:

Luther Martin shitposting continues to deliver, much as in the historical Reformation

Worthleast posted:

I've seen it in Minnesota, but this area is very heavily German.

Everyone go visit a cemetery today and pray for the holy souls. If you have no one to pray for, pray for the most forgotten, or the gooniest.

Is your area really Catholic? My experience of the upper Midwest (here I'm thinking Minnesota, Wisconsin, northern Iowa, eastern Dakotas) is super Lutheran or generic Protestant and Scandinavian or German ethnically, with a strong language and cultural tradition disappearing for fairly obvious reasons during WW1 and WW2. At one point my family was Catholic and then there was some drama over remarriage and my great-grandfather (and one sibling) ran away, it's pretty murky.

I guess it would make sense if there were some strongly Catholic pockets in the region. The ELCA college I attended had a student body that was about one-third Catholic. I just haven't been exposed to them I guess.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 8, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

but were they just as Nordic/German as the rest of you up there?

Yeah, there wasn't any noticeable ethnic divide. Towns were maybe 20-30% Catholic and there wasn't any particular pattern to it other than families of Scandinavian ancestry were usually Protestant and German and Anglo families were a mix which makes sense.

Off the top of my head, local families and denominations (please don't be a doxxing fuckhead):

Protestant: Baker, Assman, Klein, Larson, Olsen, Jansen, Chauncey, Bachelor, Anderson, Tate, Harp, Koschitzke, Farnsworth
Catholic: Krogman, Grimshaw, Moosman, Graham, Havemann, Lamboureaux, Bordeaux, Colombe

So it's a pretty mixed assortment of German, Scandinavian, Anglo, and French-Indian (the last three Catholic surnames being Native American families).

Maybe it was different for other Midwesterners (Lutha Mahtin, Worthleast, Jedi Knight Luigi, others?) but I never felt religion was remotely a social dividing line. I mean, Catholics were sort of their own thing but it wasn't significant.

Edit: it's probably a more significant factor in cities large enough to have private Catholic schools, probably 20k or more population. Virtually every decent-size American city has a private Catholic school system but in the rural environment I grew up in there wasn't really a Protestant/Catholic divide.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 8, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

well, the mixed native/french people being catholic makes a lot of sense

what would be really interesting is if Metternich recognizes the names of your catholic german-americans as being common catholic german names

Yeah I mean it was part of the Louisiana Purchase so it was colonized by French traders a century or more before being bought and conquered by the US. There is an ethnic slur in Lakota which is something like wiyeska but I've never heard it myself, it translates literally as "translator" and refers to a mixed-race Native American person. The French intentionally married Native wives so their children would be bilingual and thus better able to communicate and make megabucks with the locals.

The Germans in the area, including my family, were mostly Russian (Volga) Germans and I don't know their history well, though there's a book floating around somewhere by the Wentzlaff family. The story goes they were invited to settle in the Volga region of Russia by Catherine the Great to teach modern agricultural techniques to the locals, with guarantees about religious freedom and being excepted from conscription. Their guaranteed freedoms didn't last long and they got the gently caress out of Russia, mostly through the port of Odessa on the Black Sea. They mainly settled in Minnesota and the Dakotas, they were experienced in dryland agriculture and many of them homesteaded on the American Plains starting in the 1860s. There was a very strong German and Scandinavian language and cultural tradition up until the early 1900s when it disappeared as a result of the World Wars against Germany.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 8, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Our hymnal has an asterisk next to "holy catholic church" in the Apostle's Creed, making sure we understand that it simply means "universal" and has nothing to do with the Roman Catholic Church.

Always makes me giggle.

haha yep, every Protestant hymnal that I can recall has this-- Episcopal, Methodist, Lutheran.

It's a beautifully passive-aggressive middle finger to the corrupt papists :doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
God help us, and help those who are affected by our terrible politics.

gently caress.

E: I mean it's still not decided at this point but it looks pretty grim. A Trump victory is horrifying, a narrow Clinton victory where all the Trump followers scream "rigged election" is also gonna be awful.

This election will be cause for much sorrow and suffering either way. :smith:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 9, 2016

• Locked thread