Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Game feels pretty good to me, although the feeling that its in EA gets more pronounced the farther you progress. There are several broken quests and unfinished areas. Combat and writing still feels good, and i dig the memory system that makes mages less all conquering. It could promote respecing for individual fights if you know elemental strengths/weaknesses, but I guess that's the point.

I didn't like the "default" team setup though. I'm not sure its the same every run but i ended up with a wizard (PC), witch/healer, rouge and ranger, which had good damage, but the staying power of a wet tissue. I couldn't find anyone else to recruit. Jahan/Majora gave a good healer/tank base to build on in the last one, and you could choose other generic characters too if they weren't to your liking. I guess they will add generic characters, but i'd like to see all the character storylines as well.

Summoned creatures seems to have gotten a big nerf from the last one too(you get them later game, takes up several memory slots nerfing magical damage output), further raising the need for tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

double nine posted:

Is Bellegar back?

He wasn't much in D:OS, but from playing through D2:DKS - or whatever you call it - he should always be back.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In the Divinity universe most of the scientific progress came from Imps. But since their population has been drastically dwindled by demonic slavery, regular slavery, blood rituals, war, ethnic cleansing and an unhealthy obsession with explosives, a lot of this machinery fell into disrepair. No one is smart enough to understand it and most who try blow themselves up.
If literally everyone associates science with uncontrolled explosions and the only ones who actually like those are gone, it's really no surprise that everyone focused on magic instead.

This silly setting about Imps which build exploding robot roosters is surprisingly consistent.
I really like the Divinity world.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 22, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So is the Lizard race available for all custom characters, or is it only available for the Red Prince premade character?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mokinokaro posted:

It's over a millenium since the previous game.

Wizards live a long time. Like a REALLY long time. Zandalor and Arhu are in fact still alive about 50 years after D:OS 2 takes place.

Schubalts posted:

So is the Lizard race available for all custom characters, or is it only available for the Red Prince premade character?

Custom characters can be any race except Undead, which aren't in at all yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This Larian Vault thing is pissing me off, it doesn't seem to be sending me the emails its claiming to be sending, aarg

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
Game owns bones with 4 players, all custom characters.

I think we put about 20 hrs in, with lots of comedy/tense fights.

Excellent game, will 100% it at release.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wizards live a long time. Like a REALLY long time. Zandalor and Arhu are in fact still alive about 50 years after D:OS 2 takes place.
Also, there's already one direct mention of him I came across in the alpha, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you get to meet him later in the game.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

they're going to let you pick what race your characters are?

because that's pretty neat if so

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Ok, so I got thrown into the Fort Joy dungeon. Had 1 lockpick that I used to take care of the cell door. Now how do you get rid through the rest?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

they're going to let you pick what race your characters are?

because that's pretty neat if so

For Custom origins (and possibly the Undead) only. Fixed origins will usually lock you into a race and often a gender as well.

lurksion posted:

Ok, so I got thrown into the Fort Joy dungeon. Had 1 lockpick that I used to take care of the cell door. Now how do you get rid through the rest?

You had a lockpick? You could Ctrl + Click on some doors to force-attack them, and your gear should be in an evidence chest somewhere.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I want to turn a wizard into my pet cat.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

lurksion posted:

Do you have Pet Pal? Talk to the rat that keeps scurrying around. And always save scum lock picks. All your stuff is in the chest opposite the cell.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This Larian Vault thing is pissing me off, it doesn't seem to be sending me the emails its claiming to be sending, aarg

I had the same issue, and it turned out it was a problem with my ISP. I sent Raze at Larian a gmail address to use instead, they changed the email in their kickstarter database to the new one, and it worked fine.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is there anyway to undo hostility towards me by magisters? Or was that eventually going to happen?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zore posted:

Divinity is really weird about it. Dragon Commander has you on a futuristic airship with a jetpack while you command armies made up of robots, zepplins, tanks etc.

Its set 8800 years before Original Sin.

I've played every game in the series other than Beyond Divinity and I'm still not sure about the timeline.
Is there an overview somewhere? Where does Divine Divinity come in?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I've played every game in the series other than Beyond Divinity and I'm still not sure about the timeline.
Is there an overview somewhere? Where does Divine Divinity come in?

Divine Divinity takes places 1200 years after Original Sin and 20 years before Beyond Divinity.

http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline (it's a wikia, so expect ads galore)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/452503 found a better link

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Is telekinesis still stupidly awesome?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

Do you have Pet Pal? Talk to the rat that keeps scurrying around. And always save scum lock picks. All your stuff is in the chest opposite the cell.
Yeah, he's who I got my one lockpick from.

I ended up finding a way through with the rest of the party from the underground from the beach through the fire slugs through the other person's cell. I ended up reloading to not take off the source collar that early. Really cramps on the exploring.

Also...cursed ground is really really aggravating. Especially enemies that bleed cursed ground on hit. How are you supposed to deal with that with melee dudes this early? It's basically inescapable for them and they die trying to get out.

Also annoying is the AOE indicator on some skills are not accurate. I've murdered more than one person because of that.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 24, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Since the Divinity Original Sin 1 thread is closed and I'd like to play through it, I'll ask here.

Are there any quick and dirty guides for the Do's and Don'ts of creating characters in this game?

edit: or links to super involved guides, whatever you like.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
You can kind of do whatever on normal and lower. My big advice would be make characters that mostly focus on one thing but that have a useful secondary set of abilities, a ranger that knows basic healing or a rogue with the novice lightning teleport jump can be super useful.

Also dont make any of your mains a crafter, you can make one of the npc's put all their points into crafting and only add them to the party when you want to dick around with it (which you should do, because crafting is actually quite good)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still need to get around to the first game myself, but I expect I will need to relearn what I call the "Arcanum lesson", down to Arcanum being the first time I ever got the concept through my head.

That starting out able to pick locks or backstab, doesn't help very much when you can only make one limp wristed backstab before getting your poo poo kicked in by the rest of the enemies.

But starting out able to handle yourself in basic combat, gives you a lot more wiggle room to grow into being a ninja.

Now, if only I could ever actually focus on things in any given game, rather than wanting to to a billion things :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
By the time you finalize a build for a given character, is there anything left to do?

Do monsters respawn? Is there any reason to keep on playing a single game perpetually or do you mostly find yourself completing quests, killing the main bad guy, then finishing the game in a pretty ordered fashion? In other words, is this game suited for elder scrolls style screwing around for long periods of time?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

By the time you finalize a build for a given character, is there anything left to do?

Do monsters respawn? Is there any reason to keep on playing a single game perpetually or do you mostly find yourself completing quests, killing the main bad guy, then finishing the game in a pretty ordered fashion? In other words, is this game suited for elder scrolls style screwing around for long periods of time?

Monsters don't respawn and once you exhaust content you are done with an area. Think more diablo less elder scrolls.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

You could always go back through and kill all the npcs

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I have no idea how KS works but is it still possible to pledge/get backer rewards? That 4-pack for 90bucks would be a real money saver.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Golden Battler posted:

I have no idea how KS works but is it still possible to pledge/get backer rewards? That 4-pack for 90bucks would be a real money saver.

Check out Larian's website. Many kickstarters for games have website purchase portals once the kickstarter itself is closed.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a character voiced with a southern accent who calls me comrade?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The thread for the original Original Sin was closed, so I'm going to ask for some advice on it here.

What should I be doing in the early game? I just hit level five and took out Arhu's lightning robot. Everywhere I go there's some level 7 ranged guys who just push my poo poo in. Going west of Cyseal to the beach it's orcs, and to the east in the ruined Villa it's the undead.

Anything I can do to make the combat easier? It seems like every encounter I'm poisoned and on fire before I get a turn. Where can I get better gear? Skills I should look to to make my time easier? What should I upgrade on level up? I'm running a mage, archer, Jahan, and Madora. Mages seem like far and away the best characters.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The most useful skill by far for me was the healing by standing in blood skill. Your own blood heals you too.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My buddy took that when he was playing the rogue and SEVERAL times it glitched out and someone would bleed on him and it would heal him something like 50 times in half a second and he'd be at full health again.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

What should I be doing in the early game? I just hit level five and took out Arhu's lightning robot. Everywhere I go there's some level 7 ranged guys who just push my poo poo in. Going west of Cyseal to the beach it's orcs, and to the east in the ruined Villa it's the undead.

The cave with the robot has two exits. The second will lead to a level 5-6 area.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So looking around fort joys ghetto and beaches, am I correct in imagining that the elves cannibalize to get memories thing is gonna get at least as much mileage as pet pal?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

My buddy took that when he was playing the rogue and SEVERAL times it glitched out and someone would bleed on him and it would heal him something like 50 times in half a second and he'd be at full health again.

Pet Pal was better. Maybe.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Caidin posted:

So looking around fort joys ghetto and beaches, am I correct in imagining that the elves cannibalize to get memories thing is gonna get at least as much mileage as pet pal?
A lot of it is flavor text it seems, unlike pet pal. Though you do get a few free skills, so that was cool.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Caidin posted:

lurksion posted:

A lot of it is flavor text it seems, unlike pet pal. Though you do get a few free skills, so that was cool.

Body parts also seem to give a pretty substantial heal, which basically means that generic body parts (that is to say, body parts strewn randomly around the environment that don't have any story connection and draw from a list of possible memory dialogues) act as free health potions for elf characters.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
How do I deal with the Shrieker at the Armoury?

Also I really loathe having to buy skills books in order to learn new abilities. Just let me pick the abilities I want at level up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hiveminded posted:

Body parts also seem to give a pretty substantial heal, which basically means that generic body parts (that is to say, body parts strewn randomly around the environment that don't have any story connection and draw from a list of possible memory dialogues) act as free health potions for elf characters.

I used to have Sebille hoard parts for the healing, but she never really ended up injured much either during combat or at the end of it, so I never got a chance to use them. Plus there's bedrolls for healing out of combat. It's probably okay to just eat the parts as you find them.

Hank Morgan posted:

Also I really loathe having to buy skills books in order to learn new abilities. Just let me pick the abilities I want at level up.

Look around, there are vines to let you bypass the Shrieker, then you can sneak around. However, I wouldn't go in there before level 5.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hank Morgan posted:

Requiring the skill books is so that you have to have progression/investment other than leveling to get the skills in question. You might want, I dunno, Lightning Storm, but even though you're advanced enough to learn it you can't until you're in the second area and have access to Jim the Blind Shopkeeper, and then you also have to pony up a significant portion of your money that could otherwise go towards the sweet gear Josh the Deaf Weaponsdealer sells. It's fine to dislike it, but it's not needless obfuscation; it's a legitimate way of making you earn the skills in various ways and/or gating them.

In Divinity: OS 1, one of the upgrades to your base was access to elemental areas. The major benefit was having access to ALL the skillbooks for given skills, so when you got your first one, you had to pick carefully. If you'd really been gunning Earth magic, you probably want the Earth area so you could get full access to your list of options. Conversely, you might have dabbled in Fire magic, but then you see the stuff available in the Fire area and think "Well, it's going to be a while before I can get equivalently powerful spells for Air, maybe I should level up Fire faster and get some sweet top-level spells."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Is this the thread for D:OS1 as well now? The other has been closed.

So I am finally about to play D:OS1 for the first time, the enhanced edition. What should I know to have the best time playing it? I've read a little bit, such as running it solo is less fun. What classes would be a really fun time? Thanks.