Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Srice posted:

By then you can just suck up source from corpses so it just saves you from watching that long animation.

Doesn't that literally consume a person's soul, denying them any afterlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Hey they made the choice to gently caress with you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ymgve posted:

Which is sad, but its larians fault for not giving us another way to recover source

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Lastly thanks for nothing Tarquin, my first swing with Anathema missed and the sword immediately shattered. Piece of loving junk.

I think it may be even more disappointing when the hit lands.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Honestly the whole concept of Source is a little icky and the "villains" seem quite justified in wanting to wipe it out given the events of the game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ymgve posted:

Yes and if it lets me cast chain lightning on something again then it's totally worth the sacrifice.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Magisters deserve it anyway.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I assume I'll get some cool prize for amassing 99 lumpy giblets, not far off now.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I assume I'll get some cool prize for amassing 99 lumpy giblets, not far off now.

You can cook them for dinner.

Nothing like void creature to fill your belly.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
I wish I had picked up Thievery as a skill because going past all these chests and not being able to lockpick them is sure getting annoying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hit them until they break open

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like a total idiot now.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

put them into your inventory for later

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Having 1 chest in your inventory is very useful imo.
Rob a character blind while in dialogue with another of your dudes, put down chest a little while away, dump loot, get searched, loot chest, profit.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I found carrying chests around useful to block enemies in some fights (there are some quest-related unbreakable chests there are great for that)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zedd posted:

Having 1 chest in your inventory is very useful imo.
Rob a character blind while in dialogue with another of your dudes, put down chest a little while away, dump loot, get searched, loot chest, profit.

Assuming this works for backpacks/pouches too?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Oh boy, the Bishop fight is a bit chaotic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SirSamVimes posted:

this will break some of the potions that are in the chest fyi.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Finally beat DOS1:EE today. About to get into the second game. Anything I should know before going in? Any big changes from the first game?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

this will break some of the potions that are in the chest fyi.

Yeah but it's better than getting zero loot from not having thievery.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Gyshall posted:

Finally beat DOS1:EE today. About to get into the second game. Anything I should know before going in? Any big changes from the first game?

Oh boy, yes there are big changes. The most notable is that all characters have Physical and Magical armor, and status effects of that type do not affect the target until that type of armor is depleted, but once the armor is gone, the chance of the statuses landing is 100%. Armor also takes damage before health does

That also has the side effect of making it inefficient to have a party which has 3 damage dealers of one type and one damage dealer of another type, because the last character will be ineffective.

Attributes like STR, INT, FIN (DEX) are also different, and instead of adding accuracy and other bonuses, they now only add damage boosts, so you do not want to split points between STR/DEX and INT, as that lowers your damage potential.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Divinity:_Original_Sin_II

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Two magic guys and two physical guys is fine though. Also you can’t have too many movement skills, nether swap, teleport, tactical retreat, cloak and dagger are insanely useful. There’s not many auto saves, so save a lot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Gyshall posted:

If you're on PC I strongly recommend the mod to reduce number bloat, because the difference of power between levels can be exponential. This means by the end of the game you have to replace 40+ pieces of gear every time you level up if you want to stay competitive. This also makes the game more linear than it needs to be. The number bloat mod reduces the insane scaling and shaves a good ten hours of inventory management off your playtime. Then get the mod that enables achievements.

Save every thirty seconds.

Your enemies are 100% calculated to gently caress you. If you're undead they WILL heal you.

Play on the gamepad if you can.

Turn off NPC chatter if you don't to be driven mad by the looping peasant chatter.

Don't try any of the gift-bags because they subtly increase the load-times.

You never have put more than three points in a skill, unless it's warfare.

You can't backtrack to previous areas when moving to the next act.

You can freely respec after act one.

You can miss out on entire questline if none of your characters have the Scholar tag.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 25, 2020

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Make sure to ask Brie how she's keeping it together.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Make sure to ask Brie how she's keeping it together.

She’s fine.

As long as she doesn’t think about it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If you're on PC I strongly recommend the mod to reduce number bloat, because the difference of power between levels can be exponential. This means by the end of the game you have to replace 40+ pieces of gear every time you level up if you want to stay competitive. This also makes the game more linear than it needs to be. The number bloat mod reduces the insane scaling and shaves a good ten hours of inventory management off your playtime. Then get the mod that enables achievements.

Save every thirty seconds.

Your enemies are 100% calculated to gently caress you. If you're undead they WILL heal you.

Play on the gamepad if you can.

Turn off NPC chatter if you don't to be driven mad by the looping peasant chatter.

Don't try any of the gift-bags because they subtly increase the load-times.

You can't backtrack to previous areas when moving to the next act.

You can freely respec after act one.

You can miss out on entire questline if none of your characters have the Scholar tag.

Other then the Scholar Tag tip, most of this is wrong. You don't need to change up your gear every level once you understand the combat mechanics and use your defensive skills/potions appropriately. Every skill is worth putting 10 points into with the possible exception of Necromancer and Polymorph. Summoning for example should get 10 points in ASAP (assuming you are going summoning) otherwise don't worry about it, a ranger should level Warfare and Huntsman fairly equally. If you are a mage level pyro/geo about equally, if you want lightning damage 3 points in hydro is enough at first with the rest in Aero.

If you can't beat an equal level fight, there are probably some skills you have access to without realizing it that would be super useful. Phoenix Dive (warfare), Cloak and Dagger/Adrenaline (scoundrel), Tactical Retreat (huntsman 2), chameleon cloak (polymorph), Teleport/Netherswap (aerothurge 2), Haste/Clear mind (pyro 1) and make sure your weapon is equal level. If you are using a shield (most classes should do this especially in the beginning) make sure the shield is equal level too. Block Chance is the most important shield stat.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 25, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Inspector Gesicht posted:

why??? That sounds strange to me. By end game my mages had 8, 9 on each of their speciality, it increases damage. In fact the only skills I can think of that dont make much of a difference to put too many points on is necro and summoning

Also about gift bags: I knew they do something weird cause they break loading if you are playing on linux using wine/proton

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll agree with that.

The level scaling and inventory management can be bad but I still wouldn't bother with that mod since you just risk breaking something else tied to level/item scaling and you can get through fights despite being "undergeared" by playing well. If item levels really start bothering you, there's a gift bag mod that allows you to level up items for a price, which is largely preferable IMO (it keeps some of the pressure to get higher level gear, but you can delay it for longer and keep pieces you absolutely *do* want to keep for eg. set bonuses or some bonus skill you don't want to get rid of right now). Gift bag mods should only increase the time it takes to reload the game the first time you activate a new one. If you play on Windows they're fine.

NPC chatter is cool and good and there's absolutely no reason to play this game with a controller, :wtc:

Pretty sure "no more than three points into skills" is completely wrong. Respec mirrors are a thing, yes (and there's a gift bag mod if you absolutely need one in the first act already, but you usually don't). And yeah the acts are only connected one way, but the game usually tells you when you're about to leave an area for good.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I did (as recently discussed)use the ‘source points on rest’ mod, because I didn’t find the busywork of having to hoover every battlefield after an intense fight added to my joy. It doesn’t make actual combat any easier, so it’s a massive quality of life improvement. If you’re going for an iron man experience, leave it off to add to your suffering.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Torquemada posted:

I did (as recently discussed)use the ‘source points on rest’ mod, because I didn’t find the busywork of having to hoover every battlefield after an intense fight added to my joy. It doesn’t make actual combat any easier, so it’s a massive quality of life improvement. If you’re going for an iron man experience, leave it off to add to your suffering.

You don't really need to use Source Skills for every fight tbh. But yea, source points as implemented are kind of a drag, so restoring source on sleep is fine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Personally, I never, ever go Summoning 10 immediately, and I never recommend anyone do nothing but max out Summoning until the end of Act 1. There's too much other value to be had from a couple points into utility and other skills that can help support the rest of the team.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the level 10 summon is great, but for the first area it's totally overkill and you can do all the fights with the lower level summon and totems.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
my thinking is that summoning falls off quickly, so act1 is where you get the most value from it so beelining summoner works best. you can get summoning 10 by level 5 easily. in act2 respeccing your summoner to a ranger or something is the way to go.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

my thinking is that summoning falls off quickly, so act1 is where you get the most value from it so beelining summoner works best. you can get summoning 10 by level 5 easily. in act2 respeccing your summoner to a ranger or something is the way to go.

You're including +Summoner from items in that calculus, right? Otherwise, I don't know how you can possibly get to 10 Summoner before level 8.

Feel free to play how you want, but I don't see the point in making a Summoner, rushing to 10 quick quick quick just in time for the act to end and then respeccing out of Summoner. How is the rush-to-10 Summoner going to contribute or support the rest of the party before 10 Summoning?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
there is a large power spike for summoning at 10, but it's still good early on as long your summoning level is higher then the enemy level, plus early on is when summoning has the lowest opportunity cost so you aren't actually missing out on much just having one character focus on summoning.

i wouldn't have a dual lone-wolf run get summoner, but in a party of 4 one person focused on summoning (and wits for initiative) is good value in act1.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Rupture tendons on the white magister trying to escape at the blackpit docks in act 2 was pretty effective lol

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Getting Necro spider summon with magic armor buff is a lot better than rushing at the very least. And exploding blob also brings a lot of nova damage. Summons also benefit from buffs and auras more than points in a skill. That's the way I've played actually respecing later cause it was a bother managing another piece on the field. IMO in general summoning is a nice early crutch that can scale into lategame as a flavor thing. The game is cool that way that you can lean into a lot of things even if some are better that others even in tactician. And curving out earlier rather than later will feel worse I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You're including +Summoner from items in that calculus, right? Otherwise, I don't know how you can possibly get to 10 Summoner before level 8.

Feel free to play how you want, but I don't see the point in making a Summoner, rushing to 10 quick quick quick just in time for the act to end and then respeccing out of Summoner. How is the rush-to-10 Summoner going to contribute or support the rest of the party before 10 Summoning?

if you are rolling lone wolf you can get 10 summoning by level 3; if your goal is just to get through fort joy then LW is fine there. you can kill the boss of the island, recruit the team you want, and then use the mirror on the boat before any more unpleasantness happens. and by that time you are level 8 anyway and can go back to summoning at that very high level if you please.

hard disagree about the incarnate falling off quickly, btw; the only way it is not comparable to a player is its own resilience, which barely matters because you can just summon another one. taking a few points beyond 10 summoning for buffs and getting a few points in polymorph for skin graft and you are throwing out multiple self-seeking nuclear weapons per fight. combine it with lots of points in finesse to make them an archer and you have one badass bastard. the summoning skill itself continues to scale fine because it keeps packing that self-seeking nuclear weapon with more megatons...and rangers barely require any skills because special arrows give them all the utility they need. you just want a couple of other points to support the incarnate, but that's like 5 levels of the 20+ you will get over the course of the game.

it does end up being a pretty BORING way to play, though, because the only decision of any real import in a given fight is what infusion to give your incarnate, though.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 25, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In my current run I'm doing, my summoner character is focusing on non-incarnate summons and it's super fun. As well as the goon favourite bone spider, he has Hungry Flower and also a ring that gives him access to Fire Slug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Doug the Slug was the real MVP in my recent play, second only to Bob the Blob.